• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

//DEVIL//

my friend decided to buy one of those 2Tb Slim version because he wanted an xbox and cheap UHD player.

anyway, I was with him when he bought it and I kinda noticed that if you put your ear close to the holes, I think you do hear some sort of coil whine. again. its not loud and you don't hear it even if the AC is off. you literally have to put your ears on top of the holes to hear it.

so I thought maybe this one is defective and I suggested him to exchange it. just in case to be save. and the new one also present this sort of sound. same loudness level ( almost none existent )

I am honestly debating if its even coil whine or HDD or internal power supply. but I am almost 99% positive its coil whine.

is this normal ?

( btw this fucking thing is very sexy. I didn't think I would be impressed but in face to face, it looks very cool. specially the white )

f@luS

More than a member.
What are the best 100% solo game exclusive to the Xbox one ? Now that I ordered mine I will see that I missed. I won't have gold so no MP, and I have a ps4 for other games
I think of sunset overdrive? Quantum break ? Halo ?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Goddamnit, the only 2TB available on Ebay is now going for 420€

Fuck

Dude, just get a 500GB model and a 2TB external drive. More space and it's faster.

The 2TB HDDs are small and very easy to hide so the "no room" or "looks ugly" excuses aren't going to be valid.

rdytoroll

I hope this it ok to post in this thread, but I need some help. I'm strongly considering buying a Xbox One soon. Last generation I only had a Xbox 360, I loved that thing. This generation though I switched to the PS4. The PS4 Pro doesn't interest me at the moment.

I mainly want to play the big exclusives: Halo, Forza, Halo Wars, Gears of War. Damn, I miss those games. I also want to revisit BC games like RDR. The PS4 and my PC would still be used for my main gaming purchases. I hate the Windows Store and pretty much only buy on steam, so Xbox One games being on the PC is of no importance to me. I also only have a Full HDTV and have no interest or money to upgrade to a 4k one for quite a few years.

1. Would you say it's worth it for me buying a Xbox One (S)?
2. Is the Xbox One S a better purchase for me? I can get a OG Xbox One + Quantum Break for as low as 230€ right now. I only need 500gb personally so the Xbox One S + Fifa 17 coming out on 22 Sept. would run at 300€.
3. Are there big differences between the Xbox One S and OG Xbox One Controllers?

I think the Xbox One S looks much better, but if I can get the same package cheaper and dont have to wait another 2 weeks, I would do that probably.

Thanks guys.

How loud is the console?

The only other thing stopping me from buying an S is the possible launch of Scorpio next year.

Mine is really quite. It's great.

I hope this it ok to post in this thread, but I need some help. I'm strongly considering buying a Xbox One soon. Last generation I only had a Xbox 360, I loved that thing. This generation though I switched to the PS4. The PS4 Pro doesn't interest me at the moment.

I mainly want to play the big exclusives: Halo, Forza, Halo Wars, Gears of War. Damn, I miss those games. I also want to revisit BC games like RDR. The PS4 and my PC would still be used for my main gaming purchases. I hate the Windows Store and pretty much only buy on steam, so Xbox One games being on the PC is of no importance to me. I also only have a Full HDTV and have no interest or money to upgrade to a 4k one for quite a few years.

1. Would you say it's worth it for me buying a Xbox One (S)?
2. Is the Xbox One S a better purchase for me? I can get a OG Xbox One + Quantum Break for as low as 230€ right now. I only need 500gb personally so the Xbox One S + Fifa 17 coming out on 22 Sept. would run at 300€.
3. Are there big differences between the Xbox One S and OG Xbox One Controllers?

I think the Xbox One S looks much better, but if I can get the same package cheaper and dont have to wait another 2 weeks, I would do that probably.

Thanks guys.

1. That's more subjective than anything, but if you want it, want to play those games and have the money, yes.

2. Depends on if you really care, to be honest. I would go with the S, but I don't like being behind. It's definitely nicer.

3. The original controller (black) that comes with the OG XB1 is fine, but it's not as nice as the S one. It looks good in black, but it's the most standard of them all. The S controller has Bluetooth (hopefully no disconnects), and has slightly etched ridges on its back that are supposed to be grips. They're not as good as on the SE controllers, though (ie. Forza 6, Lunar White, Elite) but at least they're there.

The weight is also better on the new one.

rdytoroll

Mine is really quite. It's great.

1. That's more subjective than anything, but if you want it, want to play those games and have the money, yes.

2. Depends on if you really care, to be honest. I would go with the S, but I don't like being behind. It's definitely nicer.

3. The original controller (black) that comes with the OG XB1 is fine, but it's not as nice as the S one. It looks good in black, but it's the most standard of them all. The S controller has Bluetooth (hopefully no disconnects), and has slightly etched ridges on its back that are supposed to be grips. They're not as good as on the SE controllers, though (ie. Forza 6, Lunar White, Elite) but at least they're there.

The weight is also better on the new one.

Thanks. Is there a big difference in noise between the Xbox One and the S? I'd rather not have another jet engine in my house. I also heard that using the store and navigating through the Xbox One menu is really slow, how true is that?

What are the best 100% solo game exclusive to the Xbox one ? Now that I ordered mine I will see that I missed. I won't have gold so no MP, and I have a ps4 for other games

Sunset Overdrive. Hell, just traversing around Sunset City is fun as fuck

Thanks. Is there a big difference in noise between the Xbox One and the S? I'd rather not have another jet engine in my house. I also heard that using the store and navigating through the Xbox One menu is really slow, how true is that?

Both are quite quiet, so no worries.

The store has been super slow lately.

Sydle

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Halo 5, and Gears of War Ultimate are a lot of fun. Get MCC if you haven't played all the Halo campaigns. I thought QB was good, but it's not something I'd prioritize for someone just jumping in.

If you haven't played Gears of War 3 before I'd highly recommend it. I played it for the first time last month and I think it holds up very well for a 5-year old game.

Jesb

Seems pointless to me buying an xbox one right now when you know something much better will be out in a years time.

Nisa65

Has there been any news at all of a Japanese launch date?

I know the original model is selling like shit but it seems like most stores in my area are sold out of anything but the launch Kinect bundle. Amazon jp have been mailing me to say that the original 500gb model has been discounted down to ¥30000 too and yet there are no S models on there outside of a few overpriced US imports.

Questions about games:

- Master Chief Collection: Have they fixed all the problems that were present at launch?

- Gears of War 3: if I wanted to play this on Xbox One, could I just download it on Xbox One? Or do I have to buy it on Xbox 360 digitally?

Biggzy

Seems pointless to me buying an xbox one right now when you know something much better will be out in a years time.

I can see your point of view but I have to ask whether you are prepared to pay potentially $499 for the console - as it may cost upwards of that - and whether you have a 4K tv or at least plan to get one? If the answer is no to both of them, you are perhaps better getting the One S.

Questions about games:

- Master Chief Collection: Have they fixed all the problems that were present at launch?

- Gears of War 3: if I wanted to play this on Xbox One, could I just download it on Xbox One? Or do I have to buy it on Xbox 360 digitally?

I'm not sure of how the latter works. I think you'd need to buy it online or on 360, and add it to your library that way. I haven't seen 360 games in the store.

I could be very wrong, though.

But I think Gears 4 comes with all of them?

Noobcraft

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out the internal hard drive with the Samsung Evo 550 Internal SSD? Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/1662009.p?id=1219507980756&skuId=1662009
It's probably possible, but why wouldn't you just use a SATA III to USB 3.0 cable to connect it to your Xbox One externally?

This is how mine is set up.
imag2041u8ron.jpg

Forza Horizon 2. I'm not even that into driving games, but good lord. Just fun to hop in and drive around. If you're curious enough to try, get this instead of 3, if mostly cause it's cheaper (though FH3 does take advantage of HDR, is my understanding, if you've got one of those).

Also Killer Instinct's pretty good.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I hope this isn't indicative of me having a defective unit, but I've been having trouble just turning off my system (into standby mode) lately. I have terrible bandwidth, so I've had to download games and updates overnight. Typically I can just set the downloads, then either tap the power button on the console or use the home button on the controller to put it into standby mode.

However, a couple times before, and now repeatedly tonight, I do the same thing, and the console immediately turns back on, as if it thought I was just resetting it. Just now I tried turning it off with the power button, and the light flashed a couple times as though it was shutting down, then came back on solid again. Why the hell is it doing this?

Edit: Ok, it finally stayed off after about the fourth try ten minutes later.

So, my Xbox One S has a faulty disc drive, I believe. I tried to load a Blu-ray movie and also Halo 5, but they won't show up on the main menu. Downloaded games work just fine. Any fix for this or do I have to return it? I got it last weekend from Fry's.

Edit: I turned off the console and restarted, now it seems to work and is installing Halo 5 now.

T.O.P

Banned
So, my Xbox One S has a faulty disc drive, I believe. I tried to load a Blu-ray movie and also Halo 5, but they won't show up on the main menu. Downloaded games work just fine. Any fix for this or do I have to return it? I got it last weekend from Fry's.

Edit: I turned off the console and restarted, now it seems to work and is installing Halo 5 now.

Hard resets usually solves 90% of the console problems on my end lol

Anyway, YAY

yash0sp6.png

The 2TB version became available for like 30 seconds since launch, i think i got really damn lucky

Ok so I found a problem I am having. My S is set to instant on but when I go to power it on from the controller or console button after a few hours or overnight, nothing...then another try it does turn on but from a complete startup. Anyone else having this issue. Everything else is fine just this.

Skilletor

Didn't want to make a thread, but not sure where to post.

I bought the new XB1 controller w/ bluetooth to use on my PC. I have windows 10.

When I play any game, there are super framerate drops and hella input lag.

I normally play with a wired XB1 controller, and, for example, was playing Dishonored at 60fps with zero issues. I connect the XB1S controller wirelessly and it's dropping to 10fps, never even getting to 60. And the input lag can be measured in seconds.

I looked up some stuff online, and saw some old problems similar to mine, but nothing about this particular controller. There is no firmware update or anything.

Does it just not work right now? If that's the case, I'll just return it since the wired one works. I was just tired of the extra USB.

hwalker84

I bought the new XB1 controller w/ bluetooth to use on my PC. I have windows 10.

I normally play with a wired XB1 controller, and, for example, was playing Dishonored at 60fps with zero issues. I connect the XB1S controller wirelessly and it's dropping to 10fps, never even getting to 60. And the input lag can be measured in seconds.

I looked up some stuff online, and saw some old problems similar to mine, but nothing about this particular controller. There is no firmware update or anything.

Does it just not work right now? If that's the case, I'll just return it since the wired one works. I was just tired of the extra USB.
Update the firmware of the controller?

thenexus6

Do you have anything else wireless connected to your computer? A USB dongle or something would be interfering.

rdytoroll

I was at the store today with the intention to get a cheap OG Xbox One bundle, but I just couldn't do it. It's just so fucking ugly... Then I saw the Xbox One S 2TB sitting there beside it, and it's such a big difference. 2TB is too much and too expensive for me tho, so I'm waiting for the Fifa Bundle later this month. Also white looks so much better

Skilletor

Update the firmware of the controller?

I did that just now, but still having the same problems. I didn't realize that I had my other XB1 pad plugged in still, so it was reading that one and not the new controller. I unplugged everything but the new controller and got prompted to update.

Do you have anything else wireless connected to your computer? A USB dongle or something would be interfering.

Nope, nothing else connected wirelessly.

Tall Paul

Packed up and shipped off my DOE unit today, xboxless until 22nd so just staring at my 1TB WD drive and listening to what the games trapped inside are doing.....I'm ok...honest.

Question:

Ignoring the fact that they wont due to the regular XO only using standard BRs. Could the UHD-BR drive in the Xbox One S (and Scorpio for that matter) be used for games with the extra capacity that it offers, or is it for 4K movies only?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh shit, I'm sitting here playing some FH2, 30 minutes in the fan goes crazy full speed like a jet powering on, lasts about 5 seconds like that and turned itself off. Might have to exchange it, crap.

Hopped back on the Xbox One train, not even sure why. Decided to skip the S because I was worried about the fan noise, and there was a good deal on the old model. At least I know that doesn't make a sound.

I have young twins at home and the area where I play games at is very close to where my kids sleep, so I really want my machine to be as quiet as possible. PS4 jet engine has woke them up a few times recently, so maybe I'll play some COD remaster with it. Don't care about Gears/Halo/Forza trifecta, so kind of a weird purchase. Never thought I'd get a console based on noise.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there a way to create a separate guest account on my console without needing to make an email address for it? On the PS4 I could just make a separate account so that my nephews could play and have separate save files for everything when they visited. From what I've seen while tinkering, I need to have an email address and make a completely new Live account if I want to do that on the Xbox?

Theorry

Is there a way to create a separate guest account on my console without needing to make an email address for it? On the PS4 I could just make a separate account so that my nephews could play and have separate save files for everything when they visited. From what I've seen while tinkering, I need to have an email address and make a completely new Live account if I want to do that on the Xbox?

"To enable the guest account on your Xbox One, follow the below procedure:
Press the menu key of the controller.
Go to Settings.
Scroll to the "OTHER PEOPLE" section (right corner).
Select "Guest Settings".
Select "Create a guest key".
Set the guest key (6-digit code) and confirm.

Back to the "Guest settings" screen you can define the limitations of the guest account using the "Access to content" menu."

Ushay

Ay guys, noob question :

Play & Charge kits for Xbox one should work with xbox one S right ?
Eneloops are your friend. Faster charge, longer play, swap out batteries faster. Play & Charge is childish by comparison.

Also to answer your question, yes they will work.

NYR

How do I prep to upgrade my Xbox One to an S?

All of my games are stored to an external hard drive, do I just reset my xbox one before I sell it and simply log into the S with my gamer tag and plug in my External hard drive to my S and I am back in business?

Top Bottom