• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One September Update Preview

Themes are a little unnecessary really no? Considering the size of all the windows or tiles or whatever they're called. I'd like to be able to move my pins manually though. Rather than just "move to front". Also custom gamer pics. The default ones are pretty crappy.

Snap Friends is a must. Having only had the One for about 10 days I still can't believe they would rid us of the brilliant Guide. It was practically perfect.

Alx

Well if they're consistent with what they did with Windows Phone, themes would appear in the tiles themselves and not in the background.

WIndows-Phone-8.1-Custom-Live-Tile-Background.png

arhra

I'd like to be able to move my pins manually though. Rather than just "move to front".

You can freely rearrange your pins via smartglass. Just be mindful that they're displayed differently than on the console (console is right-to-left, phone is top-to-bottom, tablet is left-to-right, but the ordering is consistent). Not quite as nice as just being able to rearrange them on the console itself, but much better than shuffling them all around via move-to-front.

tuna_love

Banned
I bought Super Time Force at work last week while my console was on standby and I had the "automatically download bla" option enabled. When I got home, the game wasn't downloaded though. Is there another setting I forgot to tick?
I think that's it. Is your Xbox set as home console?

I deleted every pin I had yesterday because I realised that Xbox goto was my most used option, pretty much works everytime.
Although Xbox Goto PVZ Garden Warfare is a mouthful, they need to have shortcut names enabled.

Majine

Banned
Well if they're consistent with what they did with Windows Phone, themes would appear in the tiles themselves and not in the background.

WIndows-Phone-8.1-Custom-Live-Tile-Background.png

This looks kinda terrible and shows Metro doesn't quite mesh with custom backgrounds.

derFeef

Yupp it it :(

Was it "turned off" when you came back? It also has a time-out and I think the std. is set to 1 hour. I turned that off and that stuff worked for me then, at least the two times I bought something on the website. I was always confused by this. It's on standby - keep it that way.

jesu

I deleted every pin I had yesterday because I realised that Xbox goto was my most used option, pretty much works everytime.
Although Xbox Goto PVZ Garden Warfare is a mouthful, they need to have shortcut names enabled.

Yeah saying, Xbox go to Minecraft Xbox One Edition isn't much fun either.

Alx

This looks kinda terrible and shows Metro doesn't quite mesh with custom backgrounds.

I agree actually, that's why I never use complex wallpapers/backgrounds to begin with, and appreciate the raw simplicity of the "metro" design. Most pictures add visual noise to an interface that usually makes it less readable.
The only interesting part in that image is that the user tried to organize its tiles in context with the picture. It's mostly the "me" tile being placed on the face, in that case. It's an amusing idea that could work with some images for clever associations, but in the end it still makes everything more busy.

Or Xbox Go to - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls: Ultimate Evil Edition.

I can imagine the pain... :p
They should at least add a "go to my last game" command, that's the one people will use most frequently.

Themes would be nice, the ability to buy Gamerpics for your profile would be welcome aswell. No offence to those who designed the current batch (especially the competition winners) but going by the Xbox feedback site a lot of us would actually like gaming related ones. I like the way the profiles are set up on Xb1 with 1080p profile pics but feel it's been wasted at the moment. I'm sure some folks would of liked to have a Destiny picture for example or Sunset Overdrive. I'm surprised given MS' determination in improving the OS they haven't given us a simple choice like that.

ekim

Was it "turned off" when you came back? It also has a time-out and I think the std. is set to 1 hour. I turned that off and that stuff worked for me then, at least the two times I bought something on the website. I was always confused by this. It's on standby - keep it that way.

completely turned off? No - I have it on instant-on standby all the time. It boots in a few secs when I come home and yell "Xbox, Einschalten".

I'd be happy with themes, not much in the features they announced previously was really stuff I particularly wanted although its good they're in there and I know other people will appreciate them.

Themes, screenshot function, notes for updates are probably my biggest wants right now

mike4001_

I don't see why Diablo 3 isn't acceptable.

Because xbox uses the written word (which in the case of Diablo is exremely long) in combination with their speech matrix in order to see if you want to launch this specific game.

They would have to change the system and add a seperate "background" word for the speech matrix to check.

Hubble

You can freely rearrange your pins via smartglass. Just be mindful that they're displayed differently than on the console (console is right-to-left, phone is top-to-bottom, tablet is left-to-right, but the ordering is consistent). Not quite as nice as just being able to rearrange them on the console itself, but much better than shuffling them all around via move-to-front.

This drives me nuts. It advertises on Smart Glass you can rearrange your pins and it'll update on Xbox One yet when you do it, the order and placement is all screwed up and placement not matching with the tablet. I actually thought I was glitched.

Kampfheld

Banned
Honestly, these sort of "I know what's going on but won't say anymore" type posts offer nothing to anyone here. Why do it ?

Honestly, put me on ignore and have a better GAF experience. Problem solved.

Oh and to give you a direct answer to your question: I'm sorry that I won't spoil months and months of peoples hard work in a random forum post. I just told you that one expected feature is not yet coming with 1410, but something else that people would like to see on Xbox One. Call it a tease. Or whatever. If you don't like that, use the problem solution described above. But don't expect from me that I'm just another ntkrnl who literally destroyed jobs.

DrunkDan

Oh and to give you a direct answer to your question: I'm sorry that I won't spoil months and months of peoples hard work in a random forum post. I just told you that one expected feature is not yet coming with 1410, but something else that people would like to see on Xbox One. If you don't like that, use the problem solution described above. But don't expect from me that I'm just another ntkrnl who literally destroyed jobs.

Any chance of a few more hints though?

;-)

If not, then no problem. Would be nice to know when the October preview drops though, felt like we were getting updates daily with the September preview but it's been a while since then.

Ape

Banned

Oh and to give you a direct answer to your question: I'm sorry that I won't spoil months and months of peoples hard work in a random forum post. I just told you that one expected feature is not yet coming with 1410, but something else that people would like to see on Xbox One. Call it a tease. Or whatever. If you don't like that, use the problem solution described above. But don't expect from me that I'm just another ntkrnl who literally destroyed jobs.

That was a controlled leak tho

Oh and to give you a direct answer to your question: I'm sorry that I won't spoil months and months of peoples hard work in a random forum post. I just told you that one expected feature is not yet coming with 1410, but something else that people would like to see on Xbox One. If you don't like that, use the problem solution described above.

No , I won't put you ignore at all. One person is hardly going to be detrimental to the "GAF" experience is it ? Don't flatter yourself. You know as I do, people would like to know what you were eluding to in your post, so don't play dumb. Yes I agree it's not right to spoil months of work which is why I think sometimes it's better to say fuck all.

Majine

Banned
No , I won't put you ignore at all. One person is hardly going to be detrimental to the "GAF" experience is it ? Don't flatter yourself. You know as I do, people would like to know what you were eluding to in your post, so don't play dumb. Yes I agree it's not right to spoil months of work which is why I think sometimes it's better to say fuck all.

well I for one enjoy his presence here.

vrln

Neo Member
I can invite you when I get home from work. You have to be on my friends list to do it thought. Add me: mocoworm

Sorry for the unsolicited reply, but could you add me too? I have a thing for trying in-development software (used to be active the open source scene so quite familiar with providing feedback etc) and would love to be part of the preview program.

Gamertag: PurpleMethod

(oh and if anyone wants to add me, feel free - started on OG Xbox, now playing mostly Destiny and other MP games)

Kampfheld

Banned
Any chance of a few more hints though?

;-)

If not, then no problem. Would be nice to know when the October preview drops though, felt like we were getting updates daily with the September preview but it's been a while since then.

No more hints, sorry. There are other people who deserve this right more.

It should be there this weekend, however, this pretty much changes every day. I can --not-- guarantee this one yet. One important bug found --> delay.

I like your presence, I would also hope that if you see an update in the future and see that there isn't much there that you would respond about that like you would something "exciting" though.

For example, if they chose to do a month where they focused on optimisations, bug fixes etc I wouldn't have an issue with that at all (infact I think it would be a good idea at some point) but its not exactly a mind-blowing/exciting update with big new interesting features. Obviously perhaps word it slightly differently to how I have above, but you get my point

Majine

Banned

It should be there this weekend, however, this pretty much changes every day. I can --not-- guarantee this one yet. One important bug found --> delay.

How is the atmosphere in the team? Busy producing every month?

Sorry for the unsolicited reply, but could you add me too? I have a thing for trying in-development software (used to be active the open source scene so quite familiar with providing feedback etc) and would love to be part of the preview program.

Gamertag: PurpleMethod

(oh and if anyone wants to add me, feel free - started on OG Xbox, now playing mostly Destiny and other MP games)

Added and put your GT in for the preview programme

DrunkDan

No worries, worth a try though. Any hint is certainly better than none, and I fully appreciate where you're coming from.

And in terms of updates, I'm sure it'll be decent seeing as Microsoft have been pretty on the ball thus far.

Chitown B

I like your presence, I would also hope that if you see an update in the future and see that there isn't much there that you would respond about that like you would something "exciting" though.

For example, if they chose to do a month where they focused on optimisations, bug fixes etc I wouldn't have an issue with that at all (infact I think it would be a good idea at some point) but its not exactly a mind-blowing/exciting update with big new interesting features. Obviously perhaps word it slightly differently to how I have above, but you get my point

It'd be nice if system updates on a console we paid money for weren't shrouded in secrecy. It isn't like if something is found out about ahead of time it's going to change sales positive or negative. It's for people who own the system to look forward to. It's just silly, in my opinion.

Top Bottom