• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One September Update Preview

derFeef

It'd be nice if system updates on a console we paid money for weren't shrouded in secrecy. It isn't like if something is found out about ahead of time it's going to change sales positive or negative. It's for people who own the system to look forward to. It's just silly, in my opinion.

I think the betas are there for all the "normal" customers to get some information for what's coming. And big features would get a bigger tease, or even news I guess.

Kampfheld

Banned
It'd be nice if system updates on a console we paid money for weren't shrouded in secrecy. It isn't like if something is found out about ahead of time it's going to change sales positive or negative. It's for people who own the system to look forward to. It's just silly, in my opinion.

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/k...w-ways-watch-tv-usb-dlna-support-coming-soon/

How is the atmosphere in the team? Busy producing every month?
I do not work for MS. But the atmosphere in my team is very good :D (I expect it also will be very good at the Xbox engineering team, Phil has breathed new life into the teams.)

m23

I think its more a matter of the features being ready. If they announce a feature way ahead of time and then for some reason that specific feature has a problem....what happens. People will complain.

I think its more a matter of the features being ready. If they announce a feature way ahead of time and then for some reason that specific feature has a problem....what happens. People will complain.

Exactly, by being in the preview program there's certain things you have to be willing to accept, and it's that sometimes things won't always be ready exactly when you'd expect them to, and things you're testing out aren't yet quite fully baked and so there may be problems. The last thing they want to be in the position of doing is getting sloppy and careless with how they both notify as well as deliver features to people's systems.

Honestly, put me on ignore and have a better GAF experience. Problem solved.

Oh and to give you a direct answer to your question: I'm sorry that I won't spoil months and months of peoples hard work in a random forum post. I just told you that one expected feature is not yet coming with 1410, but something else that people would like to see on Xbox One. Call it a tease. Or whatever. If you don't like that, use the problem solution described above. But don't expect from me that I'm just another ntkrnl who literally destroyed jobs.

Destroyed jobs? Ouch. I'd like to know more about this.

turnernader

Neo Member
Anyone have an extra to share? i enjoy trying out the different betas and stuf. GT is jturn21 Thanks if anyone does. I will be sure to share if i am invited

DomLando

If anyone can send me an invite it would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to invite someone as well. My gamer tag is DomLando

I wonder if they can set it up that if I'm playing my 360 via the HDMI In that my status would be the 360 game I'm playing and not "Watching TV". Is that even possible?

Also please send me preview invite #stealthbeg GT: BetaMaxOne

JaggedSac

could be working for any 3rd party dev with Xbox devkits? Presumably they all get advance notice of OS changes so they can take them into account?

He is working on using cloud compute to handle remote physics processing. So it wont be ANY 3rd party dev. Would have to be one working on an exclusive game.

Yep. You guys will like 1410 very much :)

No
screenshots
yet, sorry. Still something else pretty high on user wish list :)

These are the absolute worst kind of attention whoring posts. If you're not going to reveal something what is the point of your post? Something cool is coming? Oh great. Every update has brought something cool. Thanks for the insider info!

And hiding behind the "not going to destroy months of work" excuse is laughable. A feature in a firmware we're going to hear about in a matter of days is not a state secret worthy of a dramatic reveal.

Guerrilla

These are the absolute worst kind of attention whoring posts. If you're not going to reveal something what is the point of your post? Something cool is coming? Oh great. Every update has brought something cool. Thanks for the insider info!

And hiding behind the "not going to destroy months of work" excuse is laughable. A feature in a firmware we're going to hear about in a matter of days is not a state secret worthy of a dramatic reveal.

why? we know now that the screenshot feature won't be there. I'll take that knowledge over no knowledge any day...

And hiding behind the "not going to destroy months of work" excuse is laughable. A feature in a firmware we're going to hear about in a matter of days is not a state secret.

I don't think he was trying to attention whore, as I'm guessing he was just really excited about whatever the feature is. I do agree that those types of posts are awful, though, and believe it's best to avoid them entirely.

I don't think he was trying to attention whore, as I'm guessing he was just really excited about whatever the feature is. I do agree that those types of posts are awful, though, and believe it's best to avoid them entirely.

I know someone who works at a game studio. I could post teases on here if I wanted to, but I don't, because I know that if I don't intend on just telling people what it is I'm teasing about, I'm wasting their time.

Then why are you getting so worked up about it? They posted that there will be something we will like in the new update, but it's not screenshots. It's not that big of a deal.

I know someone who works at a game studio. I could post teases on here if I wanted to, but I don't, because I know that if I don't intend on just telling people what it is I'm teasing about, I'm wasting their time.

What do you know?

Attention whore! ;)

I like Kampfheld's teasing.

image.php

Eisenherz

Banned

What? he was revealing a lot of stuff:

1. no screenshot Feature in this update
2. a feature, that "GAF" wants. What could it be?

So. yeah. thats more than enough. Just wait a week or so, to get official Information.

Anyone know what's the 258MB update for? I was watching Breaking Bad on blu and in the midst of it "It's time to update" popped up. Couldn't find anything about it in Major Nelson's website.

EDIT: I'm not in the preview program.

klodeckel

Banned
Some people really show zero respect, hm?

What? he was revealing a lot of stuff:

1. no screenshot Feature in this update
2. a feature, that "GAF" wants. What could it be?

So. yeah. thats more than enough. Just wait a week or so, to get official Information.

That + if you were following him a bit in the past he also (correctly) teased pre-ordering announcement date, pre-ordering to include pre-loading, Azure cloud tech demo and more small snippets. It may always just be some small info tidbits, but his teases were never wrong so far. I think his posts contain more info than we might think.

MauroNL

Anyone know what's the 258MB update for? I was watching Breaking Bad on blu and in the midst of it "It's time to update" popped up. Couldn't find anything about it in Major Nelson's website.

EDIT: I'm not in the preview program.
It's for all users too, not only preview members. Our retail Xbox One in my store suddenly updated so for a second there I got excited and thought the October preview was up hehe! But I forget that console is not in the preview program.

Kssio_Aug

Not fair withe the guy (or girl) imo. He just wanted to hint us and get us excited! We already know its not screenshot then, and Im looking forward to know what theyre bringing. I believe youre overreacting.

Not fair withe the guy (or girl) imo. He just wanted to hint us and get us excited! We already know its not screenshot then, and Im looking forward to know what theyre bringing. I believe youre overreacting.

I think it's just that Bruiser saw a lot of this type of stuff pre-launch for PS4 and XB1. It got pretty out of hand with all the "insider" news for a while around here.

He also gave a timeframe, sort of.

A timeframe any of us could have predicted. Of course we're going to hear about the October preview any day now. It's already September 8th.

I'll just leave it at that. I've just never enjoyed teases of that sort, but clearly others see things differently.

I think it's just that Bruiser saw a lot of this type of stuff pre-launch for PS4 and XB1. It got pretty out of hand with all the "insider" news for a while around here.

Yeah, it got ridiculous around that time.

see5harp

You can already watch MKV using that media player app. They need to make the media player app snapable to be useful and they need it to be a core app like party to be really useful. As it stands I need to put a CD in my drive to listen to something I own while I play a game and that's pretty bad.

It's for all users too, not only preview members. Our retail Xbox One in my store suddenly updated so for a second there I got excited and thought the October preview was up hehe! But I forget that console is not in the preview program.

I'm guessing it had something to do with Destiny? but then again 200MB+ just for Destiny? who knows lol.

No screenshots yet again would suck. MS you don't need to try to do magic to mask sub-1080p games or whatever you're working on, just give us the output as a file to Onedrive.

Hubble

Boo Bear, we love you, buddy. you just got back from a GAF break.

Delicately question whether a type of posting is sensible to topic or not but don't tell someone what to do or not to do. I made this mistake not too long ago before deciding I have to control myself and either avoid a topic or ignore future comments from specific users. The tools are there.

xo

Yup, and any insider post is welcomed :).

None of us should scare him away!

You can already watch MKV using that media player app. They need to make the media player app snapable to be useful and they need it to be a core app like party to be really useful. As it stands I need to put a CD in my drive to listen to something I own while I play a game and that's pretty bad.

Whoa, really? Since when!? Going to check on that now.

Sorry for asking, but I'm curious if anyone is experiencing any display issues since the last update?

I don't know if its related to updates, but I have two different (one LCD, one Plasma) Panasonic displays that are black screen with the One. I had been using the Plasma exclusively, but it got damaged a few weeks ago. I had the main board replaced, and now it doesn't display Xbox One on any of the HDMI ports (all other devices -- Blu-Ray, cable box, computer work fine). I also do not have this issue with the One when using on a Samsung LED or a PC monitor. I decided to test it on the Panasonic LCD and it also is blank. So the only thing I can guess at is there is some weird compatibility in the HDCP handshake between the One and Panasonic.

Does anyone think I should submit this to the update in the feedback app?

Top Bottom