• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

The concept of Cortana was fine, but the waits were not. When you have an awesome moment and yell "Hey Cortana, Record That", it was a crapshoot whether it would just be 10 seconds late on recording or sit and say "Warming Up" and then never record anything at all. I switched back to "Xbox" commands last night and was instantly back in action.

I say they enable both. Let us use Cortana for non-time-sensitive things like "what's the weather today" or "Send EviLore a message" and let me use "Xbox" for immediate commands (record, on, off, mute, pause
).

yup

So with the S coming out August 2nd it's confirmed that the update for Xbox also hits that day. Now the question is where is dat background music? Will they just put it in without feedback?
I read something that background music was in the anniversary update

Gestault

I was encountering a series of game-specific issues in the dash preview when I also ran into the reporting issue. In retrospect, it's hilarious. It's also a sign of how undercooked the preview distributions feel compared to the same program on 360.

Being involved in the program is an active annoyance (but I'm in a beta that requires it).

To be fair, the same program has seen far fewer changes on 360 than X1, hasn't it?

I unenrolled today, as most recent update borked H5 for me. All fixed now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Background music controls from Reddit:

kXD8YoC.jpg

Trup1aya

The concept of Cortana was fine, but the waits were not. When you have an awesome moment and yell "Hey Cortana, Record That", it was a crapshoot whether it would just be 10 seconds late on recording or sit and say "Warming Up" and then never record anything at all. I switched back to "Xbox" commands last night and was instantly back in action.

I say they enable both. Let us use Cortana for non-time-sensitive things like "what's the weather today" or "Send EviLore a message" and let me use "Xbox" for immediate commands (record, on, off, mute, pause).

I feel like people were just using cortana wrong.

They would say "hey Cortana". then wait for the prompt to show up onscreen. Then they would say "pause"

The correct way to do it is "hey cortana, pause". By the time the prompt appears, they entire phrase has been recognized and the video paused.The response time is immediate and accurate.

For me, it's been way more responsive than the Xbox commands, mainly due to the complete lack of false positives.

The Argus

Now that everyone is on NXE does getting out of the Preview Build still require a full factory reset? The little bugs here and there are no longer fun to report, they're driving my SO crazy.

RedStep

They would say "hey Cortana". then wait for the prompt to show up onscreen. Then they would say "pause"

The correct way to do it is "hey cortana, pause". By the time the prompt appears, they entire phrase has been recognized and the video paused.The response time is immediate and accurate.

For me, it's been way more responsive than the Xbox commands, mainly due to the complete lack of false positives.

I always said it in one shot, specifically recording videos was a nightmare (which is the only time-sensitive thing I'm doing with it). Sitting at "Warming Up" for 5 seconds isn't okay no matter what - then it would go to "Listening", I believe. Then it would either pop up with "Record That" and tell me it worked, or just disappear.

The old one is a 3-second process in total, there's no justification for needing internet input for simple controls like that or Mute.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Now that everyone is on NXE does getting out of the Preview Build still require a full factory reset? The little bugs here and there are no longer fun to report, they're driving my SO crazy.
I don't think so, the formatting used to happen because the NXOE was a completely different OS than what we had before, now they are the same OS just with added features.
Will this work similar to the 360 ala playing from a USB device?
Probably yes.

arhra

Oh ya, sorry, you need to be on Insider Build since that is the anniversary update which makes this whole UWP thing on Xbox and Windows Store possible

I'm not in the desktop insider program, and I installed it fine. I'd previously used it on Win10 though, so it just popped up in my Ready to Install list and I didn't have to search the store for it.

Yes. In addition, anything you bought while in preview won't work on the older OS once you revert since it's a new store.

The Argus

Yes, since its a different version

Yes. In addition, anything you bought while in preview won't work on the older OS once you revert since it's a new store.

Well. Shit.

Guess I'm sticking with preview, thanks for the heads up everyone! Sling is such a piece of shit with it. Or maybe their app just sucks.

Oh shit interesting, I was unaware of the need to still format.

I was thinking you didn't have to reformat either. Couldn't it just install the latest public release or wait till the next one? Glad I asked.

It's called "Cast". Type it into the search bar in Windows 10 store, and download it. Once downloaded it will appear on your ready to install list on Xbox One. Download on Xbox One and enjoy some sweet background Music Podcasting

I mean, the functionality is there. They weren't lying when they said background music would be made *possible* with the anniversary update. I'm listening to Cast in the background right now. It's just there is no app currently available to try out background music. I'm hoping Groove is updated soon...I imagine they will want to test it. Hoping Pandora too.

what audio format do podcasts need to be in? it can see my USB stick but MP3s aren't being shown.

Xbudz

j38skl1.jpg

It's getting closer! If you are in the latest preview, do a search in the store for "Cast".. it's a podcast app that will install and run right now.

The music controls are in the side guide, but sadly the Xbox still doesn't allow the music to play in the background of games just yet.

Can't wait tho!

Nope. It just resets the OS: a 'factory reset' can now mean total format or keep games, replace OS. At least, that's what it did for me last night, when it processed my un-enroll request.

I had checked in the settings beforehand, and the option for total/partial format was there. I'd already moved everything to an external, naturally... >.>

More and more updates for Preview...yet the Updates in My games and Apps keeps loading and loading and loading. Why is this so hard to fix? I really thought the updates thing was cool, being able to see which games and apps needed updating but it's becoming an annoyance real quick now. Hope they can fix this in time.

I did give them feedback about this.

MSN Weather is a universal app now...just appeared in my ready to install. However trying to install it keeps giving me an error.

List of Universal apps available on the console:
Xbox Avatars
Cast
Movies & TV
Blu-Ray
Hulu (improvements over standard XB1 app include being able to use Cortana voice commands)

Confirmed coming:
Plex
Groove Music
Netflix (shows up in ready to install but won't currently install)
MSN Weather (shows up in ready to install but won't currently install)
NASCAR
Nickelodeon
Dailymotion

VLC

Rumored:
VBA10 (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
CCPlayer Pro (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
Perfect Tube (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
Perfect Movies (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
Most MS Corp apps that make sense (OneDrive, Skype, ect)

malfcn

Had BC360 running RDR and left it idle for awhile. All of a sudden the system shut itself off. Controller couldn't turn it on, like it wasn't paired. Now booting..what the heck? Hope nothing nefarious happened.

It let me score and get credit for the build, but I swore I was up to date. Maybe it was a strange update that went wrong?
Seems to be back up and running fine.

Alx

I got an update for Plex today, but there is no matching announcement on the website. Didn't notice anything different either.

MSN Weather is a universal app now...just appeared in my ready to install. However trying to install it keeps giving me an error.

List of Universal apps available on the console:
Xbox Avatars
Cast
Movies & TV
Blu-Ray
Hulu

Confirmed coming:
Plex
Groove Music
Netflix (shows up in ready to install but won't currently install)
MSN Weather (shows up in ready to install but won't currently install)

Rumored:
VBA10 (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
CCPlayer Pro (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
Perfect Tube (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)
Perfect Movies (someone on reddit had a video of them accessing it at E3)

VLC has mentioned they'll be releasing their UMP for Xbox as well (given the development speed they have displayed so far though, I wouldn't expect it right away).

jmood88

Nah, I had been pausing in the very beginning but after just saying it regularly, I would always get the "warming up" message, then it would take a few seconds before it would recognize the command and perform the action. The Xbox commands only take a second.

klaus

Nah, I had been pausing in the very beginning but after just saying it regularly, I would always get the "warming up" message, then it would take a few seconds before it would recognize the command and perform the action. The Xbox commands only take a second.
Haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can turn Cortana off & use the old Xbox command: http://youtu.be/FfQIcKo9TsI

SOR5

update

HOW TO GET IT
• If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
• NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.
• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 2:00 PM PDT 7/21/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.
DETAILS
OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160718-1902 Available: 6:00PM PDT 7/20 (1:00 AM GMT 19/7)
Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things to be aware of before you jump in.
• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Preview update. This means… • Games purchased on a console running the latest Preview update can only be played on that console or other consoles running the latest Preview update. • Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console. • Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.
• Certain parental control features aren’t functioning appropriately in the current build. As a result, we encourage users to exercise caution when letting children access a console that is using the latest Xbox One update until these issues are resolved.
• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.
FIXES
• Xbox Universal Store The Terms of Use should no longer appear again after backing out of the purchase interface.
• CAST Resolved an issue which could cause the console to crash in response to using the media remote with the CAST app.
• Home Resolved an issue which caused a white flash to appear when launching the context menu (pressing menu button) while a game or app is minimized in the large tile on Home.
• My Games & Apps • Games should no longer appear in the Apps category. • Pressing the Xbox button after a game or app finishes installing should now correctly launch the game or app.
• Localization • Numerous localization fixes for Home, Sign in, and Settings.
CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES
• Guide The Guide may fail to launch by navigating to the left on the dashboard or double tapping the Xbox button.
• Netflix You may experience a “Do you own this game or app?” error when launching or using Netflix if it was installed by another user on the console. Workaround: While signed in as the primary user, uninstall Netflix, navigate to the Store, search for Netflix and select Free to download and install it.
• Profile • Users are able to select their own Gamertag at no charge once per account. After this you will be charged for future Gamertag changes. In the current update, any free Gamertag changes will complete successfully. Attempting to purchase a Gamertag change will charge your account, but will not change your Gamertag. Please avoid purchasing a Gamertag change on Xbox One at this time. To successfully change your Gamertag, visit https://account.xbox.com/ChangeGamertag. • When selecting “Add new” to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.
• Cortana When using a language Cortana does not support, you may still see references to Cortana in text.
• Pins If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home when that app takes its new app update. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.
• My Games & Apps You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.
• Community Calendar Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.

Has Microsoft said anything about how current apps will be replaced by UWP apps? Will the apps be updated automatically or do we have to uninstall the old apps and download the new ones.

The W10 Xbox (beta) app seems to support sharing PC GameDVR clips to your activity feed now, but it doesn't seem to work. It lets me pick a clip, upload to Xbox Live, tell it that it's Battlefield 4, and has me go through a sharing dialogue but then it doesn't show up on my feed. I also don't see the clip on third party sites like xboxdvr.com.

Anyone manage to get this feature to work?

Has Microsoft said anything about how current apps will be replaced by UWP apps? Will the apps be updated automatically or do we have to uninstall the old apps and download the new ones.

It seems that we have to uninstall the old and replace them with the new apps. There are now multiple versions of apps, and after installing the new Groove Music it says coming soon and has a link to redirect you to the old app.

It seems that we have to uninstall the old and replace them with the new apps. There are now multiple versions of apps, and after installing the new Groove Music it says coming soon and has a link to redirect you to the old app.

Probably only a preview thing, on Windows Desktop and Mobile, you are updated to the app that's available for your OS version. No reason to thing it'll be any different on Xbox (not to mention it would be a pretty bad user experience to have to manage those).

Ok, my sound issue was because I was set to 24khz. It'd be nice if they fixed that issue. Especially since I want to try my PC out with my mixamp and stuff and I don't know if GameDVR will work with the 5.1 optical out.

Apparently when you upload a PC game clip to your Xbox Live they review it before it's available to share. Seems excessive, if I post something horrible, someone should just flag it and you can ban my upload for a while.

Still, this is a very welcome feature for me. Very welcome.

Ok, my sound issue was because I was set to 24khz. It'd be nice if they fixed that issue. Especially since I want to try my PC out with my mixamp and stuff and I don't know if GameDVR will work with the 5.1 optical out.

Apparently when you upload a PC game clip to your Xbox Live they review it before it's available to share. Seems excessive, if I post something horrible, someone should just flag it and you can ban my upload for a while.

Still, this is a very welcome feature for me. Very welcome.

What sound issue was this? Because for some reason in the dashboard I hear a crackling sound when I navigate around. Seems to be only on the dashboard and in the store, not in gaming. But there is something off about the audio here.

Hope we get background music soon.

Skype has an UWP app right?
I have so many problems right know with Skype. I cant join groups call most of the times.
I cant join a group call that was created yesterday (only if if its me thats calling)

On Reddit I read that background music is actually available for a few days now, even in games. How though?

And this is probably a newbie question but what is meant with universal?

xemumanic

Skype has an UWP app right?
I have so many problems right know with Skype. I cant join groups call most of the times.
I cant join a group call that was created yesterday (only if if its me thats calling)

I dunno on Xbox, but on Windows 10 Mobile (at least via my Lumia 640 running the latest Insider builds), it just got updated with a totally new interface that's not yet on Windows 10 desktop, and from what I read, not even on Insider builds yet there either. I imagine that is what will come to Xbox.

Top Bottom