• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

SOR5

Avatar store has a pretty significant coverage in the store section, I think they're going to get a big push soon

sja_626

I wonder if the "Xbox" UWP app will be available on Xbox. Would be weird and largely redundant but there might be the odd scenario in which streaming from one Xbox to another locally might be handy (e.g if 2 consoles in a home but only one has a TV tuner connected)

etta

my hard graphic balls
I wonder if the "Xbox" UWP app will be available on Xbox. Would be weird and largely redundant but there might be the odd scenario in which streaming from one Xbox to another locally might be handy (e.g if 2 consoles in a home but only one has a TV tuner connected)
Everything is curated so not everything will show up on the Xbox Marketplace just because they are UWAs.

Z_Y

Or a game is downloaded to one XB1 and not the other. I'd rather have network storage support for multi-XB1 homes though.

sja_626

Everything is curated so not everything will show up on the Xbox Marketplace just because they are UWAs.

Of course. The whole point of any app store is that it is curated. I'm just wondering whether MS would make available an app that has one possibly useful feature in it even though most of the features don't make sense at all.

Of course. The whole point of any app store is that it is curated. I'm just wondering whether MS would make available an app that has one possibly useful feature in it even though most of the features don't make sense at all.

I could imagine it having several more useful features. For example with the xbox app on xbox, one might potentially be able to access and edit gameplay footage from both their pc and xbox. The way it currently is (or atleast was the last time i used the xbox app) the xbox app only shows me the recordings i have on that particular device (captures in minecraft from my tab dont show up on my xbox feed/capture list put the captures i make on my xbox do show up in the xbox app but not in the list of captures i can actually edit) if captures from both the pc and xbox were available through the app and available on xbox it would be easier to mash up videos from both plats. I always wish i could mash up vids from my xbox on my tab through the xbox app and vice versa id like to be able to capture something on pc and edit it on xbox. Last time i tried i could still only edit the captures i made on that particular device (ie. I can edit my win 10 minecraft tablet captures through the xbox app but not on xbox itself, and i can edit my xbox captures on xbox but not on the xbox app) pretty sure it still works the same way (not 100%) but if the app were on xbox one im sure it would be easier to access all the captures on various win 10 devices xbox included.

as soon as i got the new update my xbox just stays on the green loading screen :/

Edit: had to factory reset it :(

If this happens to anybody els try this

From reddit:

Hold down the power button on the front of your Xbox One console until it fully powers down, unplug the power cord, and wait 30 seconds. Please note the console must be fully powered down; the next steps will not work if the console is powered on from connected standby.
Plug the power cord back in.
PRESS the POWER Button then Hold down the Bind button (located on the side of the console next to the USB port) and the Eject button (located on the front of the console next to the optical disc slot), continue holding down Bind and Eject until you hear a second “power up” chime.
Then SELECT Reset this Xbox - This Troubleshooter takes the User to a page that allows them to select full reset or reset but keep content (this allows you to keep your installed games and settings!)

krang

They need to bin off Cortana. Or at least make it an option with the original voice settings. Because that shit is just straight up broken.

It's a nice idea, but the issue is that because it can understand and act upon anything, what it understands then becomes open to interpretation. The response time is bad, presumably because it is connecting to the server after every command to help it understand what you just said, but that's a minor annoyance compared to it snapping a web page every time it mishears my command. It appears to give an equal weighting to all commands (including searching the web or store), whereas it should be heavily bias towards commands you are more likely to be giving the Xbox.

Then there are other times that it refuses to acknowledge that I said anything at all, despite sitting there with "I'm listening..." on the screen and having me repeat the command over and over.

Also, I can say "Xbox..." in a room with other people in it, but I just can't bring myself to say "Hey Cortana..." in front of other people, sorry.

Lima

Still no way to choose english in Switzerland? The fact that this wasn't there day one is bad enough, but then they had the gall to announce it as a feature at E3. Yeesh. Get it done.

What? This has been in preview for weeks bro.

Lima

Great. Why isn't it out for everyone? What's taking so damn long?

Because the update they announced at E3 comes out August 2nd. This isn't really hard to grasp. You are complaining in a thread about a preview update which has had said feature for weeks now. Doesn't make sense.

singhr1

Because the update they announced at E3 comes out August 2nd. This isn't really hard to grasp. You are complaining in a thread about a preview update which has had said feature for weeks now. Doesn't make sense.

Well, August 2nd isn't a hard date, that's just a start of the roll-out.. starting with PC & Phone. It's not going to come to Xbox One August 2nd.

Wow, they really fucked up the store in this latest update. I was really upset to see that they moved the movies and TV section over to the bigger store, which is now super difficult to navigate and see which movies are available to rent and buy (I don't even think there's a way to do this). It's also horribly slow. Ugh.

pieface

How do you use Netflix with Cortana?

I loaded up Netflix with "Hey cortana load netflix"

Then had no idea how to sign into my own profile.

Give me back "Xbox", at least that actually told me what my options were.

faer0n

May "what can I say" can help you. "Select....Show 1"etc still works as before for me

brawly

I'm not in the preview program. I'm complaining because it took them almost three years to implement a basic feature and not only that, but they announced it on stage as if it was a clap line.

Aswitch

Really disappointed at the lack of background music for so long. Glad that they announced it's coming, but It was literally one of my favorite features of the 360 that really made me chose it over ps3 for most multiplatform games (aside from games generally running better on it as well) but oh how the tables have turned with the ps4 having background music compatibility pretty early and the xbox one being inferior with having to unnecessarily sacrifice screen real estate for the music player. It's not an issue for me nowadays that i have my headset that can play music while having the game audio but still....sucks. and cortana is annoying. Seems like there's no option to still stick with just saying xbox for stuff which i was used to. still need to dig deeper regarding it.

Max_Po

Banned
Yesterday I got 3 updates.... I think the update was not being installed correctly ?

Now everything is working as normal... I can sign in properly.. .Apps starting up correctly and quickly !

Journey

Banned

Maybe: "Watch Netflix" or "Go to Netflix'?

I'm not in the preview program. I'm complaining because it took them almost three years to implement a basic feature and not only that, but they announced it on stage as if it was a clap line.

Not that was a clap line, but it was to inform the audience about that.
I know it sucka, believe me

TheKeyPit

Banned
Console lost the connection to xbox live during a competitive match. After a restart I had a black screen for about 10+ seconds, then the dashboard appeared, but there some things took some time to load/appear fully.

Gestault

I confirmed (and reported with screens/video) that Cortana will sometimes do a web search even when it perfectly recognizes a valid command. So for example, saying "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" will display the command text "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" but do a web-search for those words.

It's really strange, honestly.

So for example, saying "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" will display the command text "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" but do a web-search for those words.

Cortana is working better for me lately and is more responsive than "xbox" commands were but I won't ever ask Cortana to do a web search so it'd be nice if we could just toggle that functionality off.

Fantastic! So I opted out of the preview program a few weeks ago and today it served me with an update which factory reset my Xbox. No big deal, I have all my games saved on my external hard drive. Well I went to play The Banner Saga and now it says I don't have the rights to play it even though I've played it less than 24 hours ago and have it installed on my external.

So what do I do? Do I have to call MS?

Ade

Fantastic! So I opted out of the preview program a few weeks ago and today it served me with an update which factory reset my Xbox. No big deal, I have all my games saved on my external hard drive. Well I went to play The Banner Saga and now it says I don't have the rights to play it even though I've played it less than 24 hours ago and have it installed on my external.

As noted in all the patch notes for a month now,games purchased on the new dash might not work on the old.

Youre probably going to have to wait till the beta goes live

Nheco

anyone else has problems with the lastest update and Hand of fate from gwg? I had it installed, and when I tried to run it, I got the same message when you try to boot any disk game without the disk. I unistalled and noticied that it has vanished from my ready to install list. More bizarre than that is the fact that in xbox.com, it appears as already bought. Every other gwg are working fine.

As noted in all the patch notes for a month now,games purchased on the new dash might not work on the old.

Youre probably going to have to wait till the beta goes live
Oh well fantastic! Do you know if resubscribing to the preview program will solve the issue?

And apologies, just had this issue. Haven't been keeping up with the thread.

ryan13ts

I soooooooo want to opt out of the preview program as well, but I'm afraid of having issues like this. The CONSTANT updates are driving me crazy, I literally can't turn on my Xbox without there being an update and I know it's because of the program. The file size is pretty small but for some reason it takes forever to download and install and I'm just sick of it. I only signed up because of BC when it was in preview and now that it's out, I literally could care less about any of the other features they've introduced.

I'm assuming there's no way to opt out without the factory reset, is there?

I soooooooo want to opt out of the preview program as well, but I'm afraid of having issues like this. The CONSTANT updates are driving me crazy, I literally can't turn on my Xbox without there being an update and I know it's because of the program. The file size is pretty small but for some reason it takes forever to download and install and I'm just sick of it. I only signed up because of BC when it was in preview and now that it's out, I literally could care less about any of the other features they've introduced.

I'm assuming there's no way to opt out without the factory reset, is there
?

Nop. Only when the update goes live for everyone, I think.

I'm assuming there's no way to opt out without the factory reset, is there?

Turn on instant-on, never be interrupted by an update.

U2NUMB

Instant on does nothing for me.. I have had it on since the beginning and the updates only promp when I sit down to use it. Hell my Xbox one never turns off and the updates are never done.

It is getting a bit much with one every day... I really would not mind it but it seems to take forever each night.

Defect

So earlier today I checked the store and saw these two things in the "New Games" section and downloaded them.

jtCtQxr.jpg

They both open to that outlook screen and crash.

Top Bottom