• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

aceldama

Banned
Nov 28, 2011
This really makes sense to me. Now the people who are going to try to connect aren't going to have to worry about every single person trying to authenticate their systems on the exact same day. Spread out the load to balance it out more as it rolls out.

It's really common sense.

Tomas

Banned
May 13, 2013
I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
May 15, 2013
Germany
twitter.com
This really makes sense to me. Now the people who are going to try to connect aren't going to have to worry about every single person trying to authenticate their systems on the exact same day. Spread out the load to balance it out more as it rolls out.

What the hell?

Quixzlizx

Jul 6, 2006
Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.

So even if I bought a Japanese Xbone, would I not be able to play Japanese games on it outside of Japan?

gcubed

Mar 7, 2007
Foster City, CA
I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

thats not what it said. It said that the activation of games are in the above countries, not just xbox live

Odahviing

Banned
May 11, 2013
Austria

THANK YOU

This is really just a place for trolls omg.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Mar 27, 2013

Nov 14, 2005
This. Plus they've already said they're not launching until late 2014 in Asia so that's why japan isn't on the list.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jul 17, 2004
So does this mean that the Xbox One will be region locked not only via disc but DRM too? :/

Sounds like it. I guess another advantage to this DRM to help with region locking to the extreme for MS and publishers. I think it sucks balls for those who can't import with out a VPN now.

SilentFlyer

Mar 5, 2013
Saudi Arabia
So no Middle eastern country is getting console. Right. They introduced XBL in UAE and KSA last year, after more than 6 years. So I can expect them to launch XB1 after 2 years I guess. Although I wasn't planning to buy xB1 but know they have made my decision certain.

Wolf Akela

Oct 13, 2008
Will Microsoft do IP checks? Or will they be as lenient as PSN where you can just create fake accounts?

Krusenstern

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
Germany
Everyday is worst day for MS.

/thistrainneverstopswalterwhite.gif

I wonder how CD Project now feels about presenting W3 at the MS conference (
probably still good because $$$
).

I'm very disappointed of them now. All the anti-DRM talk seems like hot air after they showed up at Microsoft's stage.

Hana-Bi

Oct 11, 2009
So in how many countries will the PS4 be sold at launch?

At the conference they said Europe and NA this year. So not that much different...

Jinjo

Feb 23, 2009
Hey guys, on the upside. Us "superior" countries won't have to deal with failing servers at launch now. Lol.

Forsete

Jun 9, 2004
Sviden
Starting a kickstarter for my new service.

For those living in unsupported countries:
For a small fee I will log into your accounts and activate your games for you.

I estimate the kickstarter should need about €200000 to get it off the ground.

Sounds like a deal, no? :p

Phat Michael

Banned
Aug 10, 2010
Dubai, UAE
oh ok so this doesn't matter at all. I've been in the UAE for 9 years and have been on the Australian xbox server the whole time. lol at people turning this into another anti MS hate thread. I'll still log in to my Australian account.

Majmun

Dec 15, 2005
NeoGaf
Thanks for merging the threads, modus.

I couldn't believe KukicAdo's post when I read it. I'm still in shock to be honest.

MS' path to self-destruction with the Xbox One is just unreal.

Aug 17, 2010
Right now it wouldn't surprise me if the advertising campaign for the Xbone is just good ole Don Mattrick clubbing baby seals to death with an Xbone.

I can't believe they have left Japan off the list.

Phire Phox

Banned
Dec 20, 2012
They'll just be adding more countries as time goes on. I'm sure they'll add Japan when it probably launches next year.

Enosh

Jun 12, 2009
Slovenia
thats not what it said. It said that the activation of games are in the above countries, not just xbox live
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Countries
and this says games using live services are only available in those countries

I don't know anyone that has an 360, but from forums and various local gaming magazines I know that if you just put in a supported country you can play MP, buy stuff from the store etc

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jul 17, 2004
So in how many countries will the PS4 be sold at launch?

At the conference they said Europe and NA this year. So not that much different...

It is people in those countries can import a PS4 because it is region free. Looks like the Xbone is the most region restricted console ever. It is locked per country it looks like not even a region.

SolarPowered

Feb 17, 2009
"Why would you live in any of those countries?"

It practically writes itself even though I was probably beaten ten thousand times.

Protein

Banned
Feb 29, 2012
This is probably the most beautiful trainwreck I've ever seen. Microsoft out-doing Criterion when it comes to crash physics.

Aug 24, 2005

Don't bother with that, I'm astonished that even after all the anticonsumer moves that Microsoft has done with XBone you have people who defend it.. but yeah, NeoGAF in two months has become a Sony fanfest -_-.