• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV DVR feature "on hold" indefinitely

spons

Gold Member
Can i still stream cable through xbox'one?

Seems to just work. The bad part is that to play games on it, you'll probably have the TV in "game mode" or something similar, making the TV signal look ugly as heck without any processing (at least on my Samsung TV). I really can't be bothered to switch everything around the entire time so I don't use this feature on my Xbox One.

spannicus

Seems to just work. The bad part is that to play games on it, you'll probably have the TV in "game mode" or something similar, making the TV signal look ugly as heck without any processing (at least on my Samsung TV). I really can't be bothered to switch everything around the entire time so I don't use this feature on my Xbox One.
Cool thanks thought it was a cool feature.

mcrommert

Banned
For these people that were banking on this:

I would recommend a Tablo OTA + Roku 3/4 or Fire TV.

It's not as good as Microsoft's plan (there's a $5/month subscription fee) but it works really well. And maybe Tablo will put an Xbox app out now that they know they won't have to compete with Microsoft.

This is a good recommendation

Oh man is this stupid (sorry for constant posting on this...i need to vent). Also with their media boxes that were leaked...the xbox could have been used as the hub for dvr recordings and stream them to the other boxes. But no, gamers won or something

mcrommert

Banned

You should always watch television/dvd/bluray/whatever through game mode. Post processing on tvs is almost always hot garbage and if you properly calibrate your television you are getting a better and more accurate picture

Bought an xbox one for kinect. Dead. Bought an original xbox one usb tv tuner. Provider changed frequencies, xbox not. Dead. Hoped for tv dvr. Dead. Should have bought something else from the beginning.

Perhaps the xbone team is done with these features but they will be added in windows 10 itself?

Didn't the leaks (from Scorpio) said that ms would push windows to their tv tv tv initiative?

Because it at least provided me the ability to pause/rewind 30 minutes in the mean time, which was suffice until the promised DVR functionality released 'soon after.'

Yep. I did the same.

Now that I think about it I've moved from disappointment into annoyance.

Backlogger

I honestly didn't know that feature had never been developed. I've never even tried hooking my cable up through my Xbox anyway.

spons

Gold Member
You should always watch television/dvd/bluray/whatever through game mode. Post processing on tvs is almost always hot garbage and if you properly calibrate your television you are getting a better and more accurate picture

You're right. But on my TV the signal looks somewhat grainy on PC mode, as if it's really low-res. Really ought to dive into the settings again to see what I can actually change on my Samsung F6400 (with an actual Samsung panel according to the service menu).

A year ago this woulda been a big deal to me. But the cable companies (TWC for me) have decent apps with on demand service. I'm guessing the Microsoft internal futurist saw the need being handled by others in time.

SMattera

A year ago this woulda been a big deal to me. But the cable companies (TWC for me) have decent apps with on demand service. I'm guessing the Microsoft internal futurist saw the need being handled by others in time.

The appeal is mostly for people who don't have cable. Cord-cutters, cord-nevers, etc.

The broadcast networks put out a lot of great content that you can get for free over the air with a digital antenna. But there's no easy way to record that content.

Microsoft would've had something compelling and unique, and indisputably the best set-top box for cord-cutters. You can get a Roku and get an antenna, but the Roku doesn't handle antennas. You have to switch inputs, etc. and you can't record shows.

The best option now is to use a TiVo (but it doesn't have as many streaming apps) or a Tablo (more complex and monthly fee).

EvB

Well given that the feature was only going to be available to people with USB tuners, which is likely a very small number of people, I can kind of see why they haven't continued.

I imagine they would have just gotten a torrent of abuse over why they wouldn't let video capture over HDMi happen.

mcrommert

Banned
Well given that the feature was only going to be available to people with USB tuners, which is likely a very small number of people, I can kind of see why they haven't continued.

I imagine they would have just gotten a torrent of abuse over why they wouldn't let video capture over HDMi happen.

Because they can't...that isn't their fault...cable boxes run hdmi with a hdcp encrypted transfer. It would be illegal for them to do anything other than just transport and display that stream

Would have been cool, but I can't imagine that the OTA, connected through Xbox One, crowd is really that large to spend significant resources on it.

I'd imagine they based the investment on this on the number of OTA USB tuners that have sold, which is probably pretty low.

EvB

Because they can't...that isn't their fault...cable boxes run hdmi with a hdcp encrypted transfer. It would be illegal for them to do anything other than just transport and display that stream

Yes, that was my point. The gaming public are not the brightest. Have you read some of the requests on the xbox uservoice?

It means "turns out the TV features in the Xbox One are barely used so we're turning our focus to games and things people actually care about."

This right here. Seems like they are pivoting away from the tv aspects of the platform, which make sense given the high rate of cord cutting in their key demographics.

oti

Banned
Bought an xbox one for kinect. Dead. Bought an original xbox one usb tv tuner. Provider changed frequencies, xbox not. Dead. Hoped for tv dvr. Dead. Should have bought something else from the beginning.

Super OT: Your user name. Why.

you can get a TiVo specially made for OTA stuff FYI
Yes, but to have TiVo, you either buy the thing with full service or pay a monthly service fee. Both of them would cost much more than an Xbox One, and the TiVo doesn't play current gen video games.

You can see how the Xbox One with that functionality would be advantageous, yes?

I'm disappointed but I don't currently have my XBO hooked into my OTA box. I have my wife's old TiVo for that. But I would have happily put an Xbox One on that TV. Sell our Apple TV to cover some of the costs or move it to a different TV. Oh well, maybe with Scorpio...

Sucks cuz I would have used it but whatever, I probably watch Netflix more than anything.

Focus on gaming. It's pretty cut and dry.

The people doing TV features aren't making games, the two are not mutually exclusive so no it's not cut and dry.

icespide

Banned
Yes, but to have TiVo, you either buy the thing with full service or pay a monthly service fee. Both of them would cost much more than an Xbox One, and the TiVo doesn't play current gen video games.

You can see how the Xbox One with that functionality would be advantageous, yes?

I'm disappointed but I don't currently have my XBO hooked into my OTA box. I have my wife's old TiVo for that. But I would have happily put an Xbox One on that TV. Sell our Apple TV to cover some of the costs or move it to a different TV. Oh well, maybe with Scorpio...

I was just making a suggesting really not trying to imply it was a better solution, just throwing it out there

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Eh, I would rather them explore IPTV along the lines of PS Vue tbh. Although, now that I have Vue, I probably wouldn't switch unless they came out with something significantly better.

Zedox

The people doing TV features aren't making games, the two are not mutually exclusive so no it's not cut and dry.

TV features are still developers on the Xbox team. If they are focused on gaming features...aka stuff that does with games...then yes, it is pretty cut and dry.

RoyalFool

Banned
I suspect this was cost driven, if they remove the pass-through they can probably shave a few bucks off the manufacturing cost, if they nuke the existing functionality altogether they can remove one SoC to bring it down even further.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect this was cost driven, if they remove the pass-through they can probably shave a few bucks off the manufacturing cost, if they nuke the existing functionality altogether they can remove one SoC to bring it down even further.

the tv tuner is usb. anyway, this is a software problem.

impirius

Serves me right for buying the USB tuner based on promised functionality, I guess! Not much of a reason to keep my Xbox One around now that this feature won't happen.

yyr

Media streaming is where its at ie Netflix etc.

They should focus on these first (and gaming primarily of course)

No, no, no! Third-party apps handle this just fine.

This news sucks. I thought the DVR feature was almost ready to launch...and now they've killed it? HUGE bummer. It would have saved me ten bucks (DVR rental fee) this month, next month and every month after that. Many thousands of other folks would likely have saved that money as well.

Not everyone is lining up to cut the cord, and the fact that X1 embraced that was a selling point to me.

edit: wait, the DVR functionality was only going to work with an OTA antenna? I was under the impression that it could record whatever TV you had been piping through...

CamHostage

To me, it's too bad, as I was looking forward to having a nice DVR given that every other DVR manufacturer besides TIVO can't put a box together worth owning and the cable companies all charge you rental on boxes. Then again, I'm not sure what Microsoft thought it'd get out of an Xbox DVR, because cord-cutters who watch standard TV are not that bankable (plus it'd be a pain to adapt for every territory) and the old folks who are still on antenna are not looking to a game system for a solution.

edit: wait, the DVR functionality was only going to work with an OTA antenna? I was under the impression that it could record whatever TV you had been piping through...

You mean like through HDMI passthrough? Would have been nice, but given how often HDMI signals have copy-protection code embedded in them, the majority of your programmed shows would not be allowed to be recorded (and I very much doubt MS would sell a Component/Composite adapter. So yeah, could have been an awesome box if it was what we wanted, but it's almost impossible that MS or any other manufacturer would actually make that device.

Because we couldn't have Halo, Gears and Forza without putting TV DVR on hold?

I mean, it makes sense out loud, but in the practice of developing an OS and features for a gaming console, the idea of putting something on hold "to focus our attention" on gaming apps is not really how workflow goes an a conglomerate like Microsoft. Different teams work on different aspects of a project, sub-contractors and contract studios work on modules outside the traditional work scope, and valuable people with down periods between major projects find and/or make up tasks that fit their expertise and drive business in unique directions. Sure, Microsoft will save itself a few coins by dropping this project, but you will of course never hear them say that such-and-such game OS project was the result of moving the DVR team into the new thing; I'd eat this GAF page if a MS worker ever came on and said, "We were working on that DVR thing, but now look at this awesome Xbox game feature we made instead!"

dLMN8R

I bought a TV Tuner with expectations of using it for this feature, but a few months ago I already plugged it into my HTPC instead of my Xbox.

For anyone who does have an HTPC, I got a pretty good over-the-air DVR working by combining NextPVR + Schedules Direct + Kodi.

Top Bottom