• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One/W10 Creators Update details - Game Mode, Beam, Guide update

Theorry

2017 is going to be a monumental year for gaming at Microsoft. Whether you play on Xbox One, a Windows 10 PC, your mobile phone, or anywhere you sign-in with Xbox Live, we're going to make your gaming experiences easier, more social, and better with innovative hardware and software features throughout the year.

We're focused on feedback from our fans and innovative, new ideas from our engineering teams that will enhance gaming on the Xbox One and will make Windows 10 the best operating system for PC gaming. In October, as a part of the Creators Update, we announced that Beam, gamer-created tournaments, and other fan requested features would be coming. We're kicking off 2017 by introducing some of these features next week, with more updates to share in the coming months.

These updates are about four key themes: Streaming, Performance, People, and Competition. We'll make it easier to stream than ever before, by making Beam a feature on Xbox One and Windows 10. We'll improve the performance of your PC games through the all new Windows Game Mode. And we'll release Arena on Xbox Live, where you can play in organized tournaments or create your own, making eSports available for everyone.

Instantly stream to Beam on Windows 10 and Xbox One
We're building Beam as a feature of Xbox One and Windows 10, making Beam one of the easiest and quickest ways to stream your gameplay.

Beam will connect to your Xbox Live account, making it easy to stream your favorite games to Beam and your Xbox Live community. No extra software is needed and viewers anywhere will be able to watch your streams and interact with your broadcast. On a Windows 10 PC, press Windows + G to pull up the Game bar and click the broadcast button to start streaming. On Xbox One, you can start streaming with one button press from inside the Guide.

Increased performance in gaming
Our goal is to make Windows 10 the best Windows ever for gaming. With the Creators Update, we're introducing a new feature called Game Mode. Windows Insiders will start seeing some of the visual elements for Game Mode this week, with the feature being fully operational in builds shortly thereafter. Our vision is for Game Mode to optimize your Windows 10 PC for increased performance in gaming. This is a big update for Windows; we're looking forward to Insiders getting their hands on this new feature for further testing, and we'll have much more to share on what it is and how it works soon, so stayed tuned.

In addition, every Xbox One will see an update coming to the Guide that will make it faster to complete common tasks. Through one press of the Xbox button on your controller, you'll be able to pull up the newly enhanced Guide as an overlay on the left side of your screen no matter what you're doing. In addition, we're rebuilding the most popular multitasking experiences for speed and ease of access. For example, you'll be able to start recording your GameDVR clips, adjust your recording length, and access your captures directly in the Guide. We'll also add a new Achievement tracking overlay, Gamerscore Leaderboard, a new Cortana design, and controls for background music, making these features easier and use.

Better ways to find, stay in touch, and share with your gaming friends
We're improving the ways you can stay in touch with friends on Xbox Live by making it easier to connect with people you care about on other social networks. We're also adding updates to the Activity Feed, so you can connect and share more with your gaming friends. With additional improvements to Clubs and Looking For Group (LFG), like better moderator tools for Clubs and the ability to share LFG posts in your feed, we're making it even easier to seek out players for any game on Xbox and Windows 10, and join communities of gamers like you.

You define the rules of competition
New tournaments are coming to Arena on Xbox Live, including those from professional tournament organizers like ESL and FACEIT. And starting with ”World of Tanks" and ”Killer Instinct", you'll be able to create your own Arena tournaments, with more supported titles coming over time. Once your tournament is created, you can invite your friends and members of your club can see it and join. And when the tournament ends, the results will be automatically recorded so you can share them on Xbox Live and across your social networks.

As part of the Creators Update, we're just getting started. We have a few surprises on the horizon and more features to share with you soon. Get excited, stay tuned, and see you on Xbox Live!

Mike Ybarra
Gamertag: Qwik
Twitter: @XboxQwik

http://news.xbox.com/2017/01/13/cre...equested-features-coming-xbox-one-windows-10/

RoKKeR

Through one press of the Xbox button on your controller, you’ll be able to pull up the newly enhanced Guide as an overlay on the left side of your screen no matter what you’re doing.
FINALLY!

Be gone, double tap.

Jiraiza

That's cool, more Beam exposure. I definitely feel like the ultimate hipster using that service over like Twitch or Hitbox.

YES - i just seen this stuff posted a lil on twitter. Coming this month so the update should hit us soon! AW YEAAHH preview members unite - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Really looking forward to Arena, think that could be a lot of fun and tears :)

Also are they saying that Beam is a platform feature and not an app? That would be really cool if it is, reading lots of good things about it.

Wedzi

Banned
Gotta say people really latched onto Phil but Mike Ybarra deserves some love. Interface may not be the greatest but this man is constantly improving things and constantly listening to fan feedback and actually implementing it in a timely fashion. I tip my hat to you sir.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
stop trying to make beam happen
it's not going to happen

This is a great example where working with an external partner would deliver significant benefits to anyone, but trying to reinvent the wheel
to justify an acquisition
just makes things messier for everyone. Wish Microsoft would stick to and excel at their core competencies rather than trying half-assedly to stick their fingers in every pie. :/

singhr1

Gotta say people really latched onto Phil but Mike Ybarra deserves some love. Interface may not be the greatest but this man is constantly improving things and constantly listening to fan feedback and actually implementing it in a timely fashion. I tip my hat to you sir.

It's a lot of people. The Windows (Insider) team and entire Xbox team also deserves a ton of credit for being receptive to feedback (you really have to when you're the underdog)

Fuchsdh

Seems like they're basically killing off snapping, piece by piece. I suppose if I didn't have a computer monitor right next to me I might snap video apps, but what do other people actually use it for now? I just use the double-tap overlay for everything, and it sounds like they're leaning into it even more.

singhr1

it's not going to happen

This is a great example where working with an external partner would deliver significant benefits to anyone, but trying to reinvent the wheel
just makes things messier for everyone. Wish Microsoft would stick to and excel at their core competencies rather than trying half-assedly to stick their fingers in every pie. :/

They said this when MS went into PC hardware with the Surface. You have to try. Anyways, competition is good and neither Twitch nor YouTube are perfect. And nor is Beam or Ustream (lol).

Seems like they're basically killing off snapping, piece by piece. I suppose if I didn't have a computer monitor right next to me I might snap video apps, but what do other people actually use it for now? I just use the double-tap overlay for everything, and it sounds like they're leaning into it even more.

I occasionally snapped TV or twitch during breaks/commercials. But I wouldn't miss it if they remove it and make the rest of the UX snappier (though i doubt this kind of trade of resources exists)

Theorry

it's not going to happen

Kinda agree with you. Even youtube cant hurt Twitch.
But i have the feeling MS just buys most of that stuff just for the tech.

Nzyme32

Big change to what was previously announced:
Excited to share that the new Windows 10 Game Game Mode will include /both/ Win32 and UWP games.
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/819980966743523328

Game Mode is for all games? Nice work, Microsoft!

Good. No artificial restrictions to implementation.

it's not going to happen

100% agree - this is absolutely pointless to push as the only solution given special access as opposed to supporting all the leading solutions out there. They should be supporting competition here to entice further innovations and improvements that they can all bounce off.

xabbott

it's not going to happen

You'll still have the ability to stream to twitch on both Win 10/Xbox. I believe though that by having full control over the service and client they can provide a better experience. Even on the PS4 where YouTube and Twitch seem to work better it's not as good as a native app.

RedStep

it's not going to happen

So we should never try new things and just stick with the old dogs?

I'm not a heavy watcher of any streams, but I've spent about the same time with Beam and Twitch and Beam was a MUCH nicer experience. Why not give it a chance to expand, assuming Twitch is still available as it is now?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can't wait for the feature where your computer BSOD's constantly. these major updates always bring issues. i'll not be updating straight away.

creatchee

it's not going to happen

"Why try Facebook or Twitter? MySpace is all I ever need."
"Coke is my favorite so Pepsi shouldn't exist."
"Horseless carriages? Humph."
"Motorola RAZR 4 LIFE."

Regardless of the hyperbole in my faux quotes, there is always room for competition in almost every market. While Twitch will probably maintain the lion's share of viewership and content producers, it's hard to ignore something built into a range of devices at an OS level and that's tied into the main accounts of those devices. Double so if it's as easy to stream and network as they are insinuating that it is.

Theorry

Mike Ybarra 💻 🕹 ‏@XboxQwik
Next week I'll be doing a podcast with @majornelson and we will talk about the many features coming, many not in today's post.

xemumanic

As I said in the other thread, I already figured Game Mode wasn't stuck to UWP games only since there aren't that many, and also the Xbox app on Windows 10 lists all your games, not just UWP titles. Folks were just making a mountain out of a molehill.

What's more important to me short term is this part:

In addition, every Xbox One will see an update coming to the Guide that will make it faster to complete common tasks. Through one press of the Xbox button on your controller, you'll be able to pull up the newly enhanced Guide as an overlay on the left side of your screen no matter what you're doing. In addition, we're rebuilding the most popular multitasking experiences for speed and ease of access.

No matter the platform, I've never found pressing the Home/Xbox/PS button to be fast enough reaction wise, so I hope to see some level of improvement there.

As for Beam, the website is slick. It's the most app-like website I've EVER seen. I wish more websites would function like that.

"Why try Facebook or Twitter? MySpace is all I ever need."
"Coke is my favorite so Pepsi shouldn't exist."
"Horseless carriages? Humph."
"Motorola RAZR 4 LIFE."

Regardless of the hyperbole in my faux quotes, there is always room for competition in almost every market. While Twitch will probably maintain the lion's share of viewership and content producers, it's hard to ignore something built into a range of devices at an OS level and that's tied into the main accounts of those devices. Double so if it's as easy to stream and network as they are insinuating that it is.
I mean

Gestault

These sound excellent, though I've ended up with a major personal hope for an option to get Cortana out of my software.

Top Bottom