• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One/W10 Creators Update details - Game Mode, Beam, Guide update

ViciousDS

Banned
That's how you know who actually owns an XB1 and who's just parroting.

you seriously think I don't own an xbox one

hahahahaha........its my most used rocket league console

way to assume

simple post history on me would show you.....but hey, that's how you know

edit: lets not forget all the division alpha posts of mine from the XB1 version.........or the videos I posted

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
They said this when MS went into PC hardware with the Surface. You have to try. Anyways, competition is good and neither Twitch nor YouTube are perfect. And nor is Beam or Ustream (lol).

Competition is indeed good. But Amazon, Google and Nvidia aren't pre-installing streaming software I don't need or want on my PC. Microsoft is. And Microsoft makes it hard to get rid of that $&@*&$ crap.

Trup1aya

stop trying to make beam happen
it's not going to happen

This is a great example where working with an external partner would deliver significant benefits to anyone, but trying to reinvent the wheel
to justify an acquisition
just makes things messier for everyone. Wish Microsoft would stick to and excel at their core competencies rather than trying half-assedly to stick their fingers in every pie. :/

Beam is better tech than twitch. Even if it never really takes off, i hope it at least gives twitch a kick in the ass to improve their service.

arhra

Finally, death to the double-tap and GameDVR in the Guide.

Both should have been no-brainers when the current Guide was first implemented, but better late than never.

Now bring on the Preview builds.

arhra

I kinda wish they just added a share button to the later One controllers

I was expecting that when they updated the controllers for the One S, but it never happened.

Maybe the inevitable controller iteration for Scorpio will finally include one.

Aru

I would like to have the Xbox One interface launching when pressing the guide button on W10 PC. Is it too much to ask MS? :(

Game mode is nice though.

pitchfork

it's not going to happen

This is a great example where working with an external partner would deliver significant benefits to anyone, but trying to reinvent the wheel
just makes things messier for everyone. Wish Microsoft would stick to and excel at their core competencies rather than trying half-assedly to stick their fingers in every pie. :/

Beam is fantastic! really hoping it takes off

TheKeyPit

Banned
Bye garbage twitch app. Hello Beam.

it's not going to happen

The twitch app is the biggest pile of trash I've ever used. It doesn't get updated. Everyone I personally know hates it. It crashes; videos stop working; trying to stream with it and changing settings is wonky.

I'm happy that I'll be able to use something better on my Xbox One.
+1 for sub second delay with Beam

LordRaptor

Competition is indeed good. But Amazon, Google and Nvidia aren't pre-installing streaming software I don't need or want on my PC. Microsoft is. And Microsoft makes it hard to get rid of that $&@*&$ crap.

In fairness to MS, Nvidia actually are installing streaming software on your PC if you use Geforce Experience.

dr_rus

Fully expect "Game Mode" to not make any kind of a difference in performance and introduce a lot of compatibility and usability issues on PC.

Big change to what was previously announced:
Excited to share that the new Windows 10 Game Game Mode will include /both/ Win32 and UWP games.
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/819980966743523328

Where does it say that? There's no mention of Win32 in the link provided.

No ETA on game mode? Great updates though.

"Version 1703" kinda hints on the ETA for the next Windows update.

Theorry

Fully expect "Game Mode" to not make any kind of a difference in performance and introduce a lot of compatibility and usability issues on PC.

Mike Ybarra 💻 🕹 ‏@XboxQwik
Creators Update details revealed. And yes, Game Mode will include both Win32 and UWP games.

"Version 1703" kinda hints on the ETA for the next Windows update.
I completely agree. I don't see it doing good things for stability. The thing is though, surely they're seen meaningful improvements with it? If it does nothing, why bother?

dr_rus

Mike Ybarra �� �� ‏@XboxQwik
Creators Update details revealed. And yes, Game Mode will include both Win32 and UWP games.

Ok, so a lot more potential issues with compatibility and usability then. Still don't expect any changes to performance.

I completely agree. I don't see it doing good things for stability. The thing is though, surely they're seen meaningful improvements with it? If it does nothing, why bother?

Well, they are selling Windows 10 now.

Henrar

Ok, so a lot more potential issues with compatibility and usability then. Still don't expect any changes to performance.
So...
Game Mode limited to UWP - bad, because MS wants to kill Win33
GameMode not limited to UWP, with additional support to Win32 - bad, because it will break something.

They can't win, can they.

dr_rus

So...
Game Mode limited to UWP - bad, because MS wants to kill Win33
GameMode not limited to UWP, with additional support to Win32 - bad, because it will break something.

They can't win, can they.

"Game mode" as something which you have to enable for a game for this game to take advantage of that is bad by default. This is just a bad idea for an OS level functionality. And I also expect it to not actually make any difference at all.

[...] they launched R.C. Cola and put a bunch of resources into that and actually their efforts to promote R. C. Cola got in the way of Coke, oh and also how much anyone enjoys Coke or Pepsi depends on there being a critical market share of other people enjoying those products[...].
You forgot that - weirdly - quite a few of the people who tried R. C. Cola liked and even preferred(!) it over Pepsi and probably because Pepsi hasn't kept up with the newest developments and needs in the soda market for years and lived off their monopoly in the soda market. Also we don't know if this is really distracting Coke from making a better core product. Coke has excess money that they can't just let sit around and do nothing so they're throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.

I do agree however that it's uncool to use their leadership in an unrelated market to push R. C.

Nzyme32

"Game mode" as something which you have to enable for a game for this game to take advantage of that is bad by default. This is just a bad idea for an OS level functionality. And I also expect it to not actually make any difference at all.

As with anything, if there are issues it would be important to have the ability to disable it globally. I am curious if that will be a possibility though considering how idiotic (or genius) some decisions are - such as locking disabling the game dvr bar stuff behind the xbox app, so if you don't have an account, your only option is to dive into the registry

Theorry

Capt Half-jaw ‏@MegavoltService
@XboxQwik If the home button is changed to func X then how do we get to the old home screen. NO one has mentioned this major issue .

Mike Ybarra
‏@XboxQwik
Replying to Capt Half-jaw
Xbox button then A

krang

Capt Half-jaw ‏@MegavoltService
@XboxQwik If the home button is changed to func X then how do we get to the old home screen. NO one has mentioned this major issue .

Mike Ybarra
‏@XboxQwik
Replying to Capt Half-jaw
Xbox button then A

Weird. I would have thought a double tap would have been the best solution to return to the dashboard. A direct swap.

you know it has no stupid twitch delay because it hasn't taken off, right? this is like arguing "beam is great, the chats are nice and slow unlike twitch spam"

Not entirely true. Beam also uses customised streaming tech they call FTL tha t drops the latency down to about a second at most. It is not just a case of Beam havung less users.

Roboculus

Weird. I would have thought a double tap would have been the best solution to return to the dashboard. A direct swap.

Nah I think they should ditch the whole double tap idea. It's always felt kind of off for me.

Tapping the guide and then pushing a button to return home is how it worked on 360 so I'm okay with this.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
it's not going to happen

TwitchTV was acquired by Amazon. There is a chance that MS realized that leaving it up to partners to implement these features was going nowhere since they didn't want to be in such a relation with a potential competitor, so they went this route.

krang

Nah I think they should ditch the whole double tap idea. It's always felt kind of off for me.

Tapping the guide and then pushing a button to return home is how it worked on 360 so I'm okay with this.

So you're doing the same number of presses, but having to press two different buttons...

Maybe it's just me - but that seems less useful.

EvB

So you're doing the same number of presses, but having to press two different buttons...

Agreed, also, x and y are already used for screenshots and videos, so you've got to use another button,which then becomes more confusing. I can never remember which one is acreenshot and video as it is

Lom1lo

Double Tap worked maybe 2-3 out of 5 times for me (new Controller, with the Elite its better), Im happy that its gone

Theorry

Agreed, also, x and y are already used for screenshots and videos, so you've got to use another button,which then becomes more confusing. I can never remember which one is acreenshot and video as it is

Well when you double tap it says at the top wich one is for screenshot or video ;)

arhra

Remember that they're supposedly putting more of the dashboard functionality directly into the Guide.

The WindowsCentral leak that first talked about the Guide update (and single-tap access to it) mentioned:

Our sources have told us that Microsoft has tested a new tab for the Guide menu that will provide instant access to recently accessed games, apps, and other system features. Additionally, this new menu will display your pins, allowing you to customize what apps and games appear in the new tab for easy access. Microsoft has also been testing a single button press to access the Guide menu, as opposed to the double-tap implementation available today.

It sounds like maybe they've added basically a shrunken version of the current Home tab to the Guide, and it's focused by default when you open it, with the topmost entry being Home (rather than the current game/app, since you're still in the current game/app). So hit Xbox button to open Guide, you're on the app switcher, then hit A on the Home tile to go home. Or scroll down to switch to a recent app, or go to your pins to launch a different app.

edit: Well, I wasn't far off:

qEGoqQJ.jpg

(courtesy of Mike Ybarra on Beam, at ~10:25)

So they really removed snap? There's no longer an icon for it on the quick menu.

And now the guide acts as a task switcher. That's cool!

Zedox

At first I was like, why do they have the Xbox section in the middle and then it hit me that it makes it the most efficient. Up 3 or down 3-4 and u can get anywhere. Smart design. Looks good. I'm excited to try it out.

Arena is gonna be huge in my opinion. I guess I'm partial to it as I've been asking for something like it since before XB1 launch on the Double Helix forums for KI. *sigh*

Arena + Beam and MS is doing the right things. For Xbox but also PC Games. 

At first I was like, why do they have the Xbox section in the middle and then it hit me that it makes it the most efficient. Up 3 or down 3-4 and u can get anywhere. Smart design. Looks good. I'm excited to try it out.

Arena is gonna be huge in my opinion. I guess I'm partial to it as I've been asking for something like it since before XB1 launch on the Double Helix forums for KI. *sigh*

Arena + Beam and MS is doing the right things. For Xbox but also PC Games. 

You just made me realize how close to the charms bar this design is

Charm+bar.png

Top Bottom