• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will provide live NFL games at a blazing 60fps

Synth

Soooo... according to this thread, games rendered at 1080i/60 such as Dead or Alive 4 are actually 30fps? lol

shock-value

Neo Member
Soooo... according to this thread, games rendered at 1080i/60 such as Dead or Alive 4 are actually 30fps? lol

No, the main point I and others are trying to make is that they are still true 60fps, and they are likely rendered at full 1080p internally, but the effective vertical resolution when transmitted to and displayed on your TV at 1080i will be somewhere between 1080 and 540 depending on how much movement is going on on-screen.

Synth

No, the main point I and others are trying to make is that they are still true 60fps, and they are likely rendered at full 1080p internally, but the effective vertical resolution when transmitted to and displayed on your TV at 1080i will be somewhere between 1080 and 540 depending on how much movement is going on on-screen.

No, I get what you're saying. I was joking. :p

It just seems that there's quite a few people here making the assumption that the odd and even frames in 1080i always contain the same information.

shock-value

Neo Member
No, I get what you're saying. I was joking. :p

It just seems that there's quite a few people here making the assumption that the odd and even frames in 1080i always contain the same information.

Ah sorry missed the sarcasm. As has been mentioned I'm still a "Junior" around here so that's my excuse :/

FYI, the NHL is already streaming online games at 60hz so it's not even like it's the first case for this to be true for a major sporting event. Even the UFC PPV events on the Xbox 360 were being streamed at 60hz.

Sport: the only valid reason to watch HFR video

Not true at all. While sports is certainly a good candidate for a 60hz refresh, I still also prefer things such as live events to be at 60hz too. There are some cases where I think 60hz is better.

Even better, 60 fps games didn't exist in the home until the HD era.

Bsigg12

Sport: the only valid reason to watch HFR video

If more directors would adopt HFR everyone would just adapt to it. Watching The Hobbit 2 was a significantly better experience with the CG than the first one.

Sports will always be the media that can always use more frames and more P's though.

FeiRR

Banned
If you want to experience how 60 FPS movies look like, there's this software for PC (Windows) http://www.svp-team.com (install, use attached MPC-HC player). I just tried it and there is a significant difference in almost all videos. Some look really weird at first.

If I was into sports I'd be all over this.

Even watching the Hobbit at 48fps was insane. 60fps seems like a great way to watch this stuff.

apana

The main drawback of higher frame rate is you lose some of the cinematic gloss. HFR made some visual flaws in Hobbit all the more apparent. There is not much cinematic gloss to lose in a broadcast of a sports game and nothing to hide. I don't think it has to be 24 vs 48 vs 60. Different directors should be free to pick whichever option works best.

I would love to see a show like Game of Thrones in a higher frame rate for example because so much of the detail in the elaborate costumes and sets is lost to the viewer. Not to mention that sword fights aren't as interesting in a lower frame rate. All the grittiness and danger of a fight is lost in the lower frame rate and you have to turn everything into a fancy dance like battle in order to make it appealing. I haven't seen football in a higher frame rate but my guess is you actually do pick up on more subtle actions and evasive maneuvers.

MS finally found a place where they can confidentially tout 60 fps. TV STREAMING !

Oh wait.....60 fps for TV content? ewww

You know seeing sports at 720p 60fps is much better than 1080i at 30fps? An this will come in HANDY when it comes to ALL major sports since the action moves so fast.

Yup. Since its an interlaced image and not a progressive image.

Progressive video, on the other hand, is one frame after the other. A progressive video shown at 24 (or 23.976) frames per second will play back as exactly that, while one shot at 60 frames per second will also appear as such. This means you can actually achieve a higher frame rate than you could with a video that is shot in an interlaced format, simply because the speed of capture isn’t being halved by an interlacing process.

Source

Why only confirm this for NFL?

Are they not ready or confident enough for the same as their planned Tv programs like Halo Live Action Series?

Sorry but you're wrong. Dead or Alive is still 60 fps.

Two interlaced SD images are merged to create one higher resolution image. You can disagree but Capcom is deceiving you by making you think its a "true" HD image at 60fps.

Edit

I also forgot that since that game is 1080i its 60 interlaced frames per second which means they can say its 60 frames, but in reality its only two interlaced images merged into one "HD" image running at a total of 60 interlaced frames per second combined. It's deceptive marketing that Capcom is using to deceive gamers into thinking its true 60fps.

Two interlaced SD images are merged to create one higher resolution image. You can disagree but Capcom is deceiving you by making you think its a "true" HD image at 60fps.

Edit

I also forgot that since that game is 1080i its 60 interlaced frames per second which means they can say its 60 frames, but in reality its only two interlaced images merged into one "HD" image running at a total of 60 interlaced frames per second combined. It's deceptive marketing that Capcom is using to deceive gamers into thinking its true 60fps.

1) You're hung up on the terminology of the display
2) The display doesn't change the fact that the game is running at 60 fps
3) Despite your terms, you're still getting 60 updates a second being displayed to your screen
4) I'm well aware of the difference between interlaced and progressive image displays and in no way being deceived by anyone
5) Capcom has nothing to do with Dead or Alive

1) You're hung up on the terminology of the display
2) The display doesn't change the fact that the game is running at 60 fps
3) Despite your terms, you're still getting 60 updates a second being displayed to your screen
4) Capcom has nothing to do with Dead or Alive

ITs not running at 60 progressive frames per second. ITs running at two 30 interlaced frames persecond, but when added together you get 60. When the game is running half the images are displayed and half of them are not. Each image is running at 30 fps. It's NOT 60 frames per two seconds (half the image for one second and the other half the next second) its 60 frames per second. You can be as stubborn as you want but basic research into the subject will show how wrong you are.

An yes I did not mean Capcom, I meant Tecmo.

Scripted TV dramas are almost all 24FPS (Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, CSI, etc). They may be broadcast through a 1080i60 signal, but your TV can convert that to a native 1080p24 signal with no loss of information from the original picture.

None of the shows i watch has the same clarity of watching bluray films. I just watched the NFL games on Sunday and they too look like a 720p signal. Maybe it's my cable provider.

ITs not running at 60 progressive frames per second. ITs running at two 30 interlaced frames persecond, but when added together you get 60. When the game is running half the images are displayed and half of them are not. Each image is running at 30 fps. It's NOT 60 frames per two seconds (half the image for one second and the other half the next second) its 60 frames per second. You can be as stubborn as you want but basic research into the subject will show how wrong you are.

An yes I did not mean Capcom, I meant Tecmo.

It is still a 60 fps game. You can argue all you want the difference between an interlaced image versus a progressive frame, but that doesn't change the fact that the game is being updated 60 times to the screen. The framerate of the game is 60 frames per second. You're arguing image quality and I'm arguing framerate. This is an age old debate that I've been through many times, but under your definition, there were no 60 fps games until the HD era. We've had plenty of examples, well before HD was a thing, where we'd have something being refreshed to the screen at 60hz. If what you are saying is true, then we would not be able to see the difference between live broadcasts, and sporting events compared to scripted TV shows that run at a different refresh rate. If what you say is true, we wouldn't see the difference between 30 and 60fps games in the PS1 era. Again, you're hung up on the technical terminology of the display signal. The framerate of the content is 60. Period.

rjc571

Banned
Yup. Since its an interlaced image and not a progressive image.

Source

LMAO! If only you knew how wrong you are.

DOA4 (or any 60 fps game) running on an interlaced display is still displaying 60 unique images per second. When the screen updates it doesn't switch to the missing lines of the previous frame - it draws an entirely new image.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is this actually 60fps footage or is it akin to that shitty motionflow trumotion motioninmotion whatever the fuck they call it shitty interpolation

It's so weird to read comments like this. Motion flow barely existed when HDTV launched. Basically only the people working on the effects for The Matrix were using it, and it was slow and software-rendered. (They called it 'optical flow'.)
Yet the first HD I saw back then was true 60fps.

mrpookles

I get GamePass every year and have my PC hooked up to the TV for it... but I doubt this Xbone 60fps excellence is going to come to Australia.

If they keep rolling out things like this, and reduce the price, I will strongly look at the One as media hub. Only thing that might hang me up is how they handle DLNA this gen.

*edit* If this ends up for Sunday Ticket. Not just red zone.

None of the shows i watch has the same clarity of watching bluray films. I just watched the NFL games on Sunday and they too look like a 720p signal. Maybe it's my cable provider.

Well, NFL games can definitely be 720p depending on which station it's being aired on.

And yes, it definitely could be your cable provider recompressing the images and/or the calibration on your cable input is not as good as whatever input you use for blurays also causing your shows not to look that great... or it could be the station itself. It's generally accepted that cable provider channel quality is inferior to the quality you get with OTA HD channels as the cable provider is recompressing the original signal.

Then again, I've seen terrible OTA HD channels too... The CW was particularly bad at some point. I remember when WWE first went HD, I think Smackdown was on the CW, and it looked like shit because the CW's compression seemed to be optimized for 30FPS content.

Synth

Wow, I'm sorry for making the DOA4 comment, lol. I thought that would be a comparison that couldn't possibly cause any confusion...

RBH

If you're a football fan, Microsoft wants to make an Xbox One integral to your gameday experience. A new version of the NFL app for Xbox One, coming out later this month, is how the company plans to do it.

It starts with videos. Lots of videos. The app is centered around NFL Now, the personalized highlight and analysis channel that's tailored for your favorite teams and your fantasy leagues. Those who upgrade to a premium subscription will be able to stream classic games and other programming like documentaries and shows from the NFL Films "vault."

That's not all: if you have a cable subscription to NFL Network and NFL RedZone, you'll be able to stream those on the console, and DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers will get full access through their consoles as well. If you sign up for Sunday Ticket's full online subscription, you'll get access to DirecTV's own Red Zone and new Fantasy Zone channels as well — the latter highlights your fantasy players as they get close to scoring.

But it's not just video content. Fantasy football tracking is a huge part of the new experience. Building on the Xbox One app from last season, the new version has an updated Snap mode that shows a stream of plays made by your fantasy players. And instead of navigating menus to play highlights, you'll be able to set global Xbox One notifications for when fantasy players make big plays. Just hold the Xbox button and a replay will Snap to the side of the screen alongside whatever you're doing. Perhaps most importantly, the new app will work with more fantasy football leagues beyond NFL.com. Microsoft representatives confirmed to Polygon that ESPN is on board, and work is underway to bring Yahoo and CBS into the fold.

The new app is the latest fruit from NFL and Microsoft's $400 million, multi-year partnership. It's worth noting that you won't have to buy an Xbox One to get most of these features — the NFL app will be one of the very first "universal" apps on the console. That means the same app will work both on Xbox Ones and Windows 8 PCs — a feat made possible by the fact that the game console partially runs on Windows. Of course, the advantage of having an Xbox is that you can pass your cable feed directly through the console and use the NFL app side-by-side with live games.

What really matters for Microsoft, though, is if its high-profile NFL partnership will convince fans to buy an Xbox One. After heavily focusing on the console's TV and entertainment chops at launch, Microsoft has refocused on gaming as it's struggled to go toe-to-toe with Sony's PlayStation 4 sales numbers. The company has already abandoned its ambitious Xbox Entertainment Studios programming — perhaps a one-of-a-kind NFL app will make more of a difference.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/3/5964489/nfl-app-for-xbox-one-has-sunday-ticket-and-fantasy-football

xbox-fantasy-football-3.jpg

xbox-fantasy-football-1.jpg

xbox-fantasy-football-5.jpg

Espn fantasy football app needs to be on here pronto. Once it arrives I'll do something I never thought I would do. Hook up my cable to the xbox. Make moves Microsoft season starts soon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501544/60fps-tv

Here's a really long discussion. The 720p60 is almost always frame-doubled to hit 60.

Fox has some 4k60 rigs for NFL that they have shot in and it is supposed to be insane looking.

Wait, so those stations that chose 720p because for sports it should offer better motion handling, are often actually only broadcasting 720p/30 and frame-doubling? I remember the heated discussions back in the day about which broadcast format was better. I prefer 1080i but I'm more of a movie/docs person (and in the UK everything is 1080i anyway). And most broadcasters send that out properly so it can be deinterlaced to 1080p/24 for many shows and movies. But I at least recognised that 720p had the framerate advantage. I am honestly shocked that isn't even the case.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wait, if someone has the Sunday Ticket, they can stream it through the Xbox One, even without the Max Pass, or whatever it's called? That's awesome, if true. Have a buddy who has that, but never watches football. Might hit him up.

Top Bottom