• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Original Programming

Hmm, I might check some of these out. Good thing they are coming to 360 too. Really interested in Winterworld, Signal to Noise, and Deadlands.

Oh, and "Gun Machine" is a stupid name by the way. Sounds completely ridiculous, but the premise sounds really interesting.

Damn you Microsoft for trying to provide original programming that ads value to the subscription service everyone pays for!

I mean, seriously, one of the biggest complaints about Xbox Live is that it doesn't offer much value, and now some of you guys are mad because they're trying to offer it. It boggles my mind.

Woah, what are you talking about? I don't see anything in that article that implies this will be included with Gold.

Rookwood

Banned
If I don't have to pay a cent on top of my XBL subscription and this truly doesn't take away from gaming investment whatsoever then I'm definitely interested in original programming. No one is gonna pay $500 to watch these shows, but who actually invests that much money for only one aspect of a device these days? This might work out really well. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Chettlar

Banned
So....

I'd totally watch a SoD, Gears or Fable show.

An Age of Empires show? That could be really, really cool. Doesn't even have to have hardly anything to do with the game either.

Oh, and "Gun Machine" is a stupid name by the way. Sounds completely ridiculous, but the premise sounds really interesting.

It's not Microsoft's fault it sounds stupid to you. They didn't even make it up. The guy who wrote the novel did.

Woah, what are you talking about? I don't see anything in that article that implies this will be included with Gold.

No, but other ones have suggested it. A couple were linked earlier in the thread.

Synth

This has actually been asked already in this thread.

It's not Microsoft's fault it sounds stupid to you. They didn't even make it up. The guy who wrote the novel did.
He didn't say it was Microsoft's fault?

Quasar

DEADLANDS. HOLY SHIT DEADLANDS. I'll buy all my mutiplats for Xbox One if this happens... and it doesn't suck.

As much as I like deadlands I'm not buying special hardware for a TV show. I'm going to admit, this and Sony getting into the exclusive TV content game really rubs me the wrong way. I hate having the whole console exclusives with games and much prefer the common platform approach of tv and film (either through a common format like DVD or hardware agnostic services like Netflix). A future where I have to own a army of boxes just to get TV because they are all in their own little exclusive siloes really annoys.

I guess Apple will get into this game too soon. They certainly have enough money and friends in Hollywood to get their own exclusive programming.

Synth

As much as I like deadlands I'm not buying special hardware for a TV show. I'm going to admit, this and Sony getting into the exclusive TV content game really rubs me the wrong way. I hate having the whole console exclusives with games and much prefer the common platform approach of tv and film (either through a common format like DVD or hardware agnostic services like Netflix). A future where I have to own a army of boxes just to get TV because they are all in their own little exclusive siloes really annoys.

I guess Apple will get into this game too soon. They certainly have enough money and friends in Hollywood to get their own exclusive programming.

I doubt Apple would tie any shows it makes to their hardware. They'd just demand you purchase it from their store.

Rookwood

Banned
As much as I like deadlands I'm not buying special hardware for a TV show. I'm going to admit this, and Sony getting into the exclusive TV content game really rubs me the wrong way. I hate having the whole game exclusives with games and much prefer the common platform approach of tv and film (either through a common format like DVD or hardware agnostic services like Netflix). A future where I have to own a army of boxes just to get TV because they are all in their own little exclusive siloes really annoys.

Xbox Video is accessible as a web player, I think. So long as you have XBL you should be able to access it.

Nobody is buying an XB1 solely for its original programming. This, I believe, is simply MS attempting to make their platform more desirable. It's a bonus on top of the exclusives and GWG program. On top of that, if you're watching Netflix or Hulu or any streaming service really on your XB1 then I think the Polygon article is on the money and as far as Microsoft is concerned they've already won as your time is being spent on their platform.

I just want these shows to be good because more content is a good thing, especially if it's at no additional cost to my XBL subscription.

Xbox Video is accessible as a web player, I think. So long as you have XBL you should be able to access it.

Nobody is buying an XB1 solely for its original programming. This, I believe, is simply MS attempting to make their platform more desirable. It's a bonus on top of the exclusives and GWG program. On top of that, if you're watching Netflix or Hulu or any streaming service really on your XB1 then I think the Polygon article is on the money and as far as Microsoft is concerned they've already won as your time is being spent on their platform.

I just want these shows to be good because more content is a good thing, especially if it's at no additional cost to my XBL subscription.

Exactly.

I didn't say...

He didn't say it was Microsoft's fault?

Yeah, that.

This has actually been asked already in this thread.

Well that's definitely promising then.

Microsoft isn't going to lock it to xbox devices. They're just smart to advertise that this stuff is coming to 360 and xbox one. I'm sure people with surface tablets, windows 8.1 tablets, windows pcs, and more than likely even those with windows phones, will be able to enjoy this content also in due time.

It's also the smartest decision not to offer this to people at extra cost if they already have xbox live gold, as that wouldn't be very wise of them.

Bessy67

Microsoft isn't going to lock it to xbox devices. They're just smart to advertise that this stuff is coming to 360 and xbox one. I'm sure people with surface tablets, windows 8.1 tablets, windows pcs, and more than likely even those with windows phones, will be able to enjoy this content also in due time.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Xbox Video app go to Android/IOS devices too.

Synth

Well thats not much different. Its either Apple hardware or a PC running iTunes.

That's quite different from "an army of boxes" imo. If one of those boxes (that most people already have at least one of) is able to obtain essentially all the content, and that content is not restricted to being played back on that box, then it's not very close to the scenario you're describing.

Naked Lunch

Deadlands is out of no where huge news for me. Weird West all day - that world is just too cool not to be explored more. Boomtown is right up there with Magic for best card game i ever played.

After the high quality of Forward Until Dawn, I have high hopes for the Halo shows.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Xbox Video app go to Android/IOS devices too.

Yep, it's pretty much a guarantee it will end up there also. I think Microsoft are finally getting a good grasp on how best to balance their own business interests as it directly relates to their own devices alongside their desire to compete with other companies.

If Office has finally gone to iOS/iPad, then we can pretty much consider the proverbial floor doors to be opened.

Yeah, it was surprisingly well done. I just wish it had actually connected with Halo 4.

It did. It gave you the background on Thomas Laskey, who would eventually go on to be one of the Master Chief's most important and crucial allies in Halo 4. If the Chief doesn't end up saving his life back then, when the Covenant attacks that academy, he isn't alive later on Infinity to serve that incredibly vital role that he did.

Oh! It's finally coming! The thing we all wanted from our gaming consoles: TV!!!

What's wrong adding value to a product, especially if it isn't coming at the cost of the main event, which is games? Or are you just being sarcastic? :)

edit: of course you're being sarcastic, but are you actually serious is the real question lol.

It did. It gave you the background on Thomas Laskey, who would eventually go on to be one of the Master Chief's most important and crucial allies in Halo 4. If the Chief doesn't end up saving his life back then, when the Covenant attacks that academy, he isn't alive later on Infinity to serve that incredibly vital role that he did.
But then when the Chief and Lasky talk at the end of Halo 4 its like they're never met.

Lasky: "I grew up on New Harmony. Attended Corbulo Military Academy" - well, no shit, the chief literally saved his ass there ;p And the Infinity seemed to have been heading to Requiem because of glyphs unearthed by the "science geeks" on the ring installations, and not so much a rescue party for humanity's savior - though they did respond to Forward Unto Dawn's distress signal. You got the sense in the FUD live action that saving the chief was the primary concern for the Infinity heading to requiem - but not so much in the game itself.

It just doesn't fit together and seems like the two strands of the story were made in almost complete isolation.

What's wrong adding value to a product, especially if it isn't coming at the cost of the main event, which is games?

Oh, it's definitely coming at the cost of the main event. I don't buy anything MS says in regards to that at all. Do you see much of a core gaming push from them since, hell, Kinect 1.0? Every dollar that doesn't go toward new games or toward attracting other party's games is a dollar wasted down some ludicrous path that would have maybe made sense 5 or so years ago.

As always MS smells the money elsewhere and hops on way too late to make a stake. See the Zune. See the Kin. See the Tablet PC. See Surface. See Windows ME, Windows CE, Windows Vista, Windows 8. The list can go on. So yeah, I'm skeptical that they can take a marketplace that survives on the lifeblood of hard core gamers and somehow convince them that TV programs within an extremely closed off environment will somehow be worthwhile.

Rookwood

Banned
Oh, it's definitely coming at the cost of the main event. I don't buy anything MS says in regards to that at all. Do you see much of a core gaming push from them since, hell, Kinect 1.0? Every dollar that doesn't go toward new games or toward attracting other party's games is a dollar wasted down some ludicrous path that would have maybe made sense 5 or so years ago.

As always MS smells the money elsewhere and hops on way too late to make a stake. See the Zune. See the Kin. See the Tablet PC. See Surface. See Windows ME, Windows CE, Windows Vista, Windows 8. The list can go on. So yeah, I'm skeptical that they can take a marketplace that survives on the lifeblood of hard core gamers and somehow convince them that TV programs within an extremely closed off environment will somehow be worthwhile.

I think if last E3 and Phil Spencer being out in charge of Xbox are any indication, the Xbox is definitely going to be pushing games, games and more games. I have a lot of grievances with MS but I can't deny the fact they've turned things around rapid since last E3, so them grovelling for my money by adding more content and services is a good thing.

An important distinction to make between devices and original programming is that, while devices may lock in their marketshare and stay dominant even if they're not the best product, with original programming, if you have a story to tell that people want to follow, then people will engage with it. People will talk about it, tweet about it, make their own creations of it and so on. Word will spread. If you're good. All you really need is a good story to tell and the means to tell it.

Xbox Originals has only just begun. There will be duds and success, probably more of the former than the latter, but there's really no reason not to be happy with more bang for your buck if that buck stays the same.

Synth

Firstly, yes I do see them making much of a push since Kinect 1.0. Ever since last years E3 they've shown a great focus on games, through established first party series, third party publishing (Ryse, Crimson Dragon), and collaborative development (Killer Instinct). The Xbox One launched with a fantastic spread of games covering pretty much all genres.

Secondly, yes MS is very much reactionary in general, and that often does lead to them not finding much success in areas they expand into late. However, all those other things you list show something else. Microsoft is not Nintendo, and they don't only have to concern themselves with games. Xbox Originals is under the Xbox banner because all their entertainment drives are (Xbox Music, Xbox Video) not because it's sucking money away from games that would exist without it. If every dollar not going to games is a dollar wasted then I suppose you're saying they should stop making Windows, shut down Office, and cancel Azure? There's also limited talent available to create games. You can't just open a million studios and expect quality talent to exist for all of them. You'd either need to be taking talent from already existing studios, buying studios entirely, or locking up games that they produce. Maybe they should use it all for lots more third party exclusivity deals? I'm sure that would make you happy.

Microsoft are a company with a shit ton of money, thats not to say there is an unlimited amount of money to spend on the Xbox division - because there isnt, that would be a ridiculous suggestion; but they can clearly afford to move into new areas without having sacrifice (opportunity cost if you will) investing in other areas should they want to pursue new avenues - specifically on the gaming side in this case.

Microsoft have already announced and released a fairly large amount of games exclusively on Xbox One (some crossovers between 360/XB1) and have quite a lot more announced but not released too, im hoping I dont need to list them for you to see my point.

The people at the top of Xbox Entertainment arent games people, they're TV people hired specifically for the purpose of producing TV related content (and the 150 or so people below them).

You have absolutely no real evidence to suggest that this TV stuff is coming at the cost of more gaming considering - as I said earlier - the large amount of exclusive games content released and announced would back this up too.

E3 will give us a better indication of the games coming even further down the line too but really, Microsoft put their core gaming focus for exclusives onto Xbox One, games arent built in a day and yes they focused by and large of Kinect 1.0 in the latter years of the 360 but the games that came out at launch (Ryse, DR3, Forza 5, Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Powerstar Golf) would have been on 360 presumably if the Xbox One didn't exist.

For added flavour, Microsoft also opened a bunch of new studios: Team Dakota (Project Spark), Black Tusk (Gears), Lift London (F2P touch stuff, maybe console in the future?) and bought Press Play before they opened the LA studio (there was another studio in Victoria but Mattrick's departure seemed to have caused that to be closed)

Not to mention the developers they work with that they don't own - State of Decay (Undead Labs) is a Microsoft funded/owned IP, Quantum Break (Remedy) is an MS funded/owned IP too, im sure they have more to show at E3.

Top Bottom