• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S / Lockhart Details To Be Revealed Soon; Console Will Be Priced At Around $300 – Rumor

Well, that's fair to an extent. Maybe the analogy doesn't fall apart completely because anecdotal perspectives are important. At the same time though, anecdotal perspectives don't necessarily translate to the macro of it things 1:1 exact.

Bringing up the pricing tho, that is part of my concern with Lockhart launching simultaneously with XSX; if Lockhart is the super-cheap model it might give MS less incentive to make XSX price-competitive and that will affect production unit allocations as well. Almost all the interest they have from the core/hardcore right now (who make up the vast majority of early adopters) is over XSX, not Lockhart.

So I hope Lockhart doesn't cause them to sabotage XSX on price or production numbers.

I don't remember how Spencer put it saying Xbox would not be beat on power or price next gen.

With Lockhart coming in at $300 I 100% agree with you they wont take a beating on pricing with xsX.

XsX is for us the enthusiasts.

I totally agree with your thoughts.

We want to upgrade, I just don't want to pay $1000 to do it, and in this paradigm we don't have to wait and we don't have to buy a last-gen system with Jag CPU, standard HDD, and no next-gen GPU features(X1X). We get future-proof consoles that have substantially better SSD and CPU, and GPU that is at least as powerful as X1X GPU, but with RT, VRS, and ML for AI-upscaling. The only sacrifice is having to use 1080p resolution instead of 4K, but they're on 1080p panels, so that doesn't matter.
We don't know specs though right? You'll prob be hit with performance problems as well as not as pretty graphics as well.

lock2k

Banned
If it's 2 years I think the better question is how the fuck do they expect people to get hyped for a console that won't really have any new games for it for 2 years.

I like their strategy from a poor consumer who lives in a third world point of view because I won't be able to buy said console in 2 years.

But as a devil-advocate, and if I could buy said console, I think it's the dumbest strategy ever. If you want to sell a new console, make games that are only compatible with it.

I don't remember how Spencer put it saying Xbox would not be beat on power or price next gen.

With Lockhart coming in at $300 I 100% agree with you they wont take a beating on pricing with xsX.

Hey, it's technically true they would realize that goal this way. Personally tho it's not how I'd of pictured doing it. I.e I always thought the power & price bits were in reference to XSX.

That said we really don't know much on Lockhart as-is so I'm not gonna mope on it outright. Still though, there's the worry that there won't be enough XSX's for the enthusiasts because we know it's the enthusiasts who generally drive early adoption, each and every time.

Kenpachii

So it's just Microsoft that is promising 1st party games to be compatible for 2 years? This isn't something they're holding other developers to?

Like what power do they have over other publishers? I could see them simple just not release there software on it until 2 years a remaster later on. I don't see anybody caring in the 3rd party space for xbox one the moment next gen hits the stores.

I like their strategy from a poor consumer who lives in a third world point of view because I won't be able to buy said console in 2 years.

But as a devil-advocate, and if I could buy said console, I think it's the dumbest strategy ever. If you want to sell a new console, make games that are only compatible with it.

Pretty sure they only give 2 shits about there subscriptions. If they say we going to drop the xbox one, good luck with those subscriptions just dropping like a stone. Because why bother paying them?

They probably want to fuse the old one out gracefully.

ZehDon

Nintendo couldn’t make the Wii U messaging work, and I think it really damaged their console’s performance. The average Joe just didn’t know a new Nintendo system existed. Huge mistake.
If Microsoft really are going to launch two SKUs, their messaging is going to have to be some of the best we’ve ever seen. They have to do two different things: announce a new generation of consoles, and announce two new boxes in that new generation, while making sure we all know what’s what and what’s different from last generation.
That mock up image of the white, half-sized Series S? That’s what they’re gonna need - the little white cheaper Xbox or the big black expensive Xbox. It needs to be so clear, so obvious, that even if I wan alien just landed on planet Earth, I’d still understand. And that’s just for communicating differences within this generation. Communicating the difference from last generation? I’m honestly not sure... Series X just doesn’t differentiate it enough. PlayStation used the numbering system because it’s basically perfect - 5 is greater than 4. 5 Pro is better than 5. It’s clean, simple, and above all else, makes sense.
I’m really interested to see Microsoft’s messaging and how they’re going to do this.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
We don't know specs though right? You'll prob be hit with performance problems as well as not as pretty graphics as well.
We know it's 4TF RDNA 2 with RT, VRS, and likely ML. The Lockhart and Anaconda specs were leaked in January 2019, and in all likelyhood it's the Sparkman APU that's been detailed by AquariusZi and Komachi. I tested a 4TF Turing GPU vs 12TF Turing with Ryzen CPU and it's scales perfectly. The key is having the same CPU. There should be no need to even adjust graphical settings, just the resolution. DLSS 2.0 shows what can be done with base 540p res on Turing, so even sub-4K targets on XSX can be accounted for on XSS.

Last edited:
We know it's 4TF RDNA 2 with RT, VRS, and likely ML. The Lockhart and Anaconda specs were leaked in January 2019, and in all likelyhood it's the Sparkman APU that's been detailed by AquariusZi and Komachi. I tested a 4TF Turing GPU vs 12TF Turing with Ryzen CPU and it's scales perfectly. The key is having the same CPU. There should be no need to even adjust graphical settings, just the resolution. DLSS 2.0 shows what can be done with base 540p res on Turing, so even sub-4K targets on XSX can be accounted for on XSS.
Isnt the one x more powerful then atleast even based on flops?

I don't think multiple skus are the issues its the branding MS is using.

Anyone walking into a store to buy a phone is going to know the Iphone 11 is better then the Iphone 7,8, 9 or 10.

Anyone buying a new Playstation for little Timmy at Christmas is going to know the PS5 is better then the PS4.

Now when mommy walks into Walmart and there are the Xbox One S which is the entry level.

Xbox one X which is stronger then the S.

The Xbox Series S which isn't as strong as the Xbox One X but newer technology so should perform better then the X.

Then of course the Xbox Series X that rules them all.

People who read forums like us will know where each system will stand.

People buying consoles for others will not.

These are just my 2 cents.

You used the iphone 11 compared to other simple numbered models as an example, but what about all those Iphone X, XS, XS Max, XR variations? Don't people get confused over that kind of stuff too? Everytime I turn around there's a new mac book that doesn't make quite clear what's the latest, there's another iPad. Consumers will inform themselves. For those that won't, they won't care if they see a brand new xbox with brand new marketing signaling it's new for notably cheaper than the other expensive stuff people are buying.

At least that's how I see it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Isnt the one x more powerful then atleast even based on flops?
Nope, just as powerful on games that don't support RT, VRS, and AI-upscaling. That's Polaris-based GCN architecture, the Series consoles are RDNA 2, so at least as good in general rasterization performance as Turing that I used to test. When you look at Lockhart as a replacement for X1X, it makes more sense. Almost positive that model will be pulled, and there will be 3-tier offering, just like PS ecosystem will have.

Last edited:
You used the iphone 11 compared to other simple numbered models as an example, but what about all those Iphone X, XS, XS Max, XR variations? Don't people get confused over that kind of stuff too? Everytime I turn around there's a new mac book that doesn't make quite clear what's the latest, there's another iPad. Consumers will inform themselves. For those that won't, they won't care if they see a brand new xbox with brand new marketing signaling it's new for notably cheaper than the other expensive stuff people are buying.

At least that's how I see it.

There are also not generational differences with the X, XS and XS Max.

iPads yes has a terrible branding.

And yes the people who care will indeed inform themselve.

scalman

So you going into next gen consoles and gonna buy kinda previous gen spec console to do what? I think all visuals would be downgraded for it if its that less powerfull.
And then people go and buy new phone every year for 2x or more price but they cant spend money for normal next gen console??
Its like buying new phone but with bad specs and low res. Who would want it?

JLB

Banned
So you going into next gen consoles and gonna buy kinda previous gen spec console to do what? I think all visuals would be downgraded for it if its that less powerfull.
And then people go and buy new phone every year for 2x or more price but they cant spend money for normal next gen console??
Its like buying new phone but with bad specs and low res. Who would want it?

Its Jaguar vs Zen 2. Its not "kinda previous gen". staph

Last edited:

scalman

Well by tf specs its a lot weaker is it not?
Unless it will do all next gen stuff just on 1080p , but like no downgrades at all. Still not worth it.

Not everything needs data. There is such a thing is logical proof, and there is such a thing as common sense.
The closest thing we have to compare Xbox Game Pass to is Netflix. Imagine if Netflix was a one time payment of $10 (very affordable), and above that, you'd have to buy every single movie or TV show you wanted to watch. One would expect a fair amount of people to maybe buy the app. But... How many people would buy a bunch of movies/TV-series on it? Any reasonable person would agree that most people wouldn't buy more than a handful.
At the same time.... How many people binge regularly on Netflix simply because of the subscription? And yes, they spend more on the subscription than they ever would have buying individual movies and TV-series.

You really think we need to go into the realm of data to clearly see what is going on here? If you do, go do that yourself, or, believe whatever you want to believe. And just FYI, burden of proof is not a buffet where you get to pick which proof you like and which proof you don't like. If you disagree it is on you to provide the counter argument, rather than slipping into fallacies.

Lastly... When people start with unreasonable requests for them to somehow believe something, I usually bug out. In the majority of cases, the requested information is either simply non-existent, or simply deliberately impossible to give. And even worse, in cases where it is given, the goal post is shifted. That's because the person is not actually interested in the argument, but has already made up their mind that it is wrong, and will fight tooth and nail to drill into the other person that they are wrong. It's a setup for people to claim victory for an argument based on nothing other than the 'burden of proof' excuse. It's an argument from ignorance, where one claims that X is not true because no data was provided. Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, but people love to use it that way in these instances. It's a form of ego-boosting, and nothing else.
You didn't write a logical proof so I'm not exactly sure why you're referencing logical proofs.

You wrote a lot of stuff that essentially boils down to, "I think gamepass is appealing to this group of buyers because its my opinion". There's no data or evidence that can validate that opinion and that's okay. Pretending that the its more than an opinion and something that should be generally accepted is really weird. My participation in this discussion began when I requested clarification on a line of reasoning. All the talk, all the posts and not one person has yet to construct an argument that would lead one to logical arrive at the line of reasoning. It irks me when people try to pass their opinion off as a generally accepted belief or principle and that's why i called that line of reasoning out. The subsequent discussion has just been a cop out consisting of people trying to justify an opinion not supported by any data as fact. Nothing more, nothing less. If I make a ludicrous claim regarding a trend, I expect to be called out for the claim. It seems a few on here like to play it fast and loose with the facts.

Last edited:
Well by tf specs its a lot weaker is it not?
Unless it will do all next gen stuff just on 1080p , but like no downgrades at all. Still not worth it.

How is a 1080p/1440p console for people with lower budget needs and desires not worth it? That's like saying all the people who bought a cheaper variant of Nvidia's GPUs to avoid buying the big boys made a decision that isn't worth it. That's entirely up to them.

scalman

Because its for many years forward, i bought ps4 pro for 1080p gaming as well and its best thing.

Would make sense if it would be like portable version with screen. Then sure. But just smaller box as home console no.
Im on low budget , thats why i will buy true next gen box for full price and will be golden for all those years in front no worries that i made mistake.

DrAspirino

Banned
People here on GaF don't realize how many people still have 1080p TV sets and won't change them in at least a few years. Heck, most content on Youtube is 1080p, most content on TV is 1080i, and some still use DVDs (yes, you read correctly). The global marketshare for 1080p and 720p TV sets is much higher than 4K TVs.

So... if you want to appeal to the elite and the enthusiasts, you focus on 4K. If you want to appeal to the massess, you focus on 1080p.

Dr.D00p

So... if you want to appeal to the elite and the enthusiasts, you focus on 4K. If you want to appeal to the massess, you focus on 1080p.

It's the same with PC GPU's.

Nvidia & AMD like the expensive 'Halo' products because it gets them the 'Fastest GPU in the world' headlines, but they only really make their money with the low-mid end $150-$250 cards, that sell in vast numbers compared to the Ti's of this world.

PocoJoe

Banned
If series s is true, then console wars are about:

Series S vs PS5

Because casuals wont buy 499-599€ machine if there is 299-399€ one.

So we much switch to " 10.28 > 4" fighting loop

If it's 2 years I think the better question is how the fuck do they expect people to get hyped for a console that won't really have any new games for it for 2 years.

This is why I can't take people seriously sometimes. The fuck do you mean no new games for 2 years? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Isn't Cyberpunk 2077 a new game? Isn't Assassin's Creed Valhalla a new game? Won't Halo Infinite and any number of big games coming out later this year all be new games? Where the hell do some people create their logic? Did we not just see Ubisoft show off a new game that is coming to the Series X? Apologies if you've played and beaten all the games mentioned already.

chitzy

Banned
This is why I can't take people seriously sometimes. The fuck do you mean no new games for 2 years? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Isn't Cyberpunk 2077 a new game? Isn't Assassin's Creed Valhalla a new game? Won't Halo Infinite and any number of big games coming out later this year all be new games? Where the hell do some people create their logic? Did we not just see Ubisoft show off a new game that is coming to the Series X? Apologies if you've played and beaten all the games mentioned already.
New games as in games that would require buying the new console. It was very obvious in the context of the conversation. Nice brain you got there.

New games as in games that would require buying the new console. It was very obvious in the context of the conversation. Nice brain you got there.

Nice try. What you said was silly. It's that simple. It's fanboy logic. Games are games. Why bother playing the tired old card where because xbox one gamers get to play some of these games too they suddenly don't count?

Is every title that releases and has support for the last gen consoles automatically not worth a gamer's time?
I'm more interested in Cyberpunk 2077, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Halo Infinite and potentially Elden Ring (not sure how I'll feel about this one yet) than I am Godfall and Outriders. I'll give both a serious look, but I suffer no illusions as to what has me the most excited and what's likely to be the stronger games.

The golem game now, that has my interest seriously piqued. Other than that It just strikes me like the logic you're going off of is the same logic where playstation gamers get mad and pen manifestos whenever a playstation title they supposedly already played goes to PC. Shit, one of my most anticipated titles is FIFA 21 on Series X. I absolutely love FIFA 20 on Xbox One X and can't wait to get my hands on the new game.

martino

Something i'm wondering is why didn't all those cheap tech japanses games didn't came to xone when they came to pc.
Are those only sony deals ? i doubt it.
Also will they release on MS console this gen ?

Last edited:

Ascend

You didn't write a logical proof so I'm not exactly sure why you're referencing logical proofs.

You wrote a lot of stuff that essentially boils down to, "I think gamepass is appealing to this group of buyers because its my opinion". There's no data or evidence that can validate that opinion and that's okay. Pretending that the its more than an opinion and something that should be generally accepted is really weird. My participation in this discussion began when I requested clarification on a line of reasoning. All the talk, all the posts and not one person has yet to construct an argument that would lead one to logical arrive at the line of reasoning. It irks me when people try to pass their opinion off as a generally accepted belief or principle and that's why i called that line of reasoning out. The subsequent discussion has just been a cop out consisting of people trying to justify an opinion not supported by any data as fact. Nothing more, nothing less. If I make a ludicrous claim regarding a trend, I expect to be called out for the claim. It seems a few on here like to play it fast and loose with the facts.
People's behavior is not evidence. Ok.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
And yes the people who care will indeed inform themselve.
But wasn't Microsoft planning on discontinuing the Xbox One X? Not sure how that works in practice but couldn't it be that we are only able to buy the Series X or Series S and nothing else?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How is a 1080p/1440p console for people with lower budget needs and desires not worth it? That's like saying all the people who bought a cheaper variant of Nvidia's GPUs to avoid buying the big boys made a decision that isn't worth it. That's entirely up to them.

If that's the only difference between the XSX and the XSS, then there will only be a $100 difference in price. As in $499 for Series X and $399 for Series S.

DaGwaphics

But wasn't Microsoft planning on discontinuing the Xbox One X? Not sure how that works in practice but couldn't it be that we are only able to buy the Series X or Series S and nothing else?

I would suspect this will be the likely scenario, maybe with Xbone SAD hanging around for a minute if they die shrink that one more time (would make a good little streaming box).

oldergamer

Microsoft is going to match the PS5 in price on the X while throwing in 3 months of gamepass I've said this from the start so start preparing for it.
I'm expecting MS to beat Sony on price + include gamepass. Not only that they will have the cellphone model of paying for it monthly. they will have more payment options then I'm expecting sony to offer ( with the ability upgrade to expensive model )

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I totally agree with your thoughts.

“I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price"

Lockhart is dead in the water as a 4 TF console if PS5 with 10.3 TF and a disc drive is at 399. And since Microsoft can't control Sony's pricing (and they would have expected PS5 to hit 399 since that was the launch price of both PS4 and PS4 Pro) if Lockhart exists, it's built accordingly. Which means 299 is completely ridiculous. For it to be any kind of value proposition it needs to be 199 or 249. It would be an additional revenue stream, it's not in any way the main console, that's why they only talk about XSX. 4K adoption in the US is already over 50 %. The number of people interested in a purely 1080p console is shrinking every day. If Microsoft wants to launch a 299 XSS and a 499 XSX against a 399 PS5, they are dead. So that's not what they will do with all the talk about market leadership and selling loads of consoles to sell Game Pass subscriptions. It's going to be 199 XSS and 399 XSX. Because back when they were designing these things in 2016, those would have been the targets to put them against Sony's PS5 at 399. Nobody could've seen back then that NAND and DRAM prices would spike in early 2020. So while the consoles might be more expensive now than anticipated, the point still stands: You can't launch a 4 TF console against either a 10.3 TF console or a 12 TF console for just $100 cheaper. It makes no sense.

Even XSX can't be $100 more than PS5, because nobody in their right mind would pay 25 % more for 20 % more power. Price/performance matters. And thus Lockhart needs to hit a price where you feel you are stupid not to buy one, like it happened with the Xbox One SAD last Christmas. As a device for those that play predominantly on PS5, or on Switch, or on PC, or that don't have a 4KTV or not enough disposable income. That's what Lockhart's job is.

XSX is not for the enthusiasts, it's for the mainstream Xbox customers. The enthusiast console will come in three to four years and blow XSX out of the water with 25 TF. Why? Because Sony will want to get that power crown back with a PS5 Pro, so Microsoft has to follow. Thanks to their weird BC hardware requirements it's pretty obvious that PS5 Pro will end up at 72 CU and simply have 20.6 TF max. Double PS5. And since Microsoft doesn't want to have their core users jump ship halfway through the generation they will beat that, at a slightly higher price.

Compsiox

Banned
If it exists it will be announced in June. They will not wait any longer if it does indeed exist still. If they announce it too close to launch of the XSX I think that would cause confusion. They need time to get their message straight with consumers.

Last edited:

“I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price"

Lockhart is dead in the water as a 4 TF console if PS5 with 10.3 TF and a disc drive is at 399. And since Microsoft can't control Sony's pricing (and they would have expected PS5 to hit 399 since that was the launch price of both PS4 and PS4 Pro) if Lockhart exists, it's built accordingly. Which means 299 is completely ridiculous. For it to be any kind of value proposition it needs to be 199 or 249. It would be an additional revenue stream, it's not in any way the main console, that's why they only talk about XSX. 4K adoption in the US is already over 50 %. The number of people interested in a purely 1080p console is shrinking every day. If Microsoft wants to launch a 299 XSS and a 499 XSX against a 399 PS5, they are dead. So that's not what they will do with all the talk about market leadership and selling loads of consoles to sell Game Pass subscriptions. It's going to be 199 XSS and 399 XSX. Because back when they were designing these things in 2016, those would have been the targets to put them against Sony's PS5 at 399. Nobody could've seen back then that NAND and DRAM prices would spike in early 2020. So while the consoles might be more expensive now than anticipated, the point still stands: You can't launch a 4 TF console against either a 10.3 TF console or a 12 TF console for just $100 cheaper. It makes no sense.

Even XSX can't be $100 more than PS5, because nobody in their right mind would pay 25 % more for 20 % more power. Price/performance matters. And thus Lockhart needs to hit a price where you feel you are stupid not to buy one, like it happened with the Xbox One SAD last Christmas. As a device for those that play predominantly on PS5, or on Switch, or on PC, or that don't have a 4KTV or not enough disposable income. That's what Lockhart's job is.

XSX is not for the enthusiasts, it's for the mainstream Xbox customers. The enthusiast console will come in three to four years and blow XSX out of the water with 25 TF. Why? Because Sony will want to get that power crown back with a PS5 Pro, so Microsoft has to follow. Thanks to their weird BC hardware requirements it's pretty obvious that PS5 Pro will end up at 72 CU and simply have 20.6 TF max. Double PS5. And since Microsoft doesn't want to have their core users jump ship halfway through the generation they will beat that, at a slightly higher price.

Only part I disagree with here is PS5 will be exactly "only" 2x PS5. That's the logical assumption of course, but IIRC PS4 Pro was actually 2.28x performance over base PS4, and that also did the doubling-CU method.

Assuming that's the same ratio they keep, it might be possible to expect a PS5 Pro at 23.45 TF rather than 20.6 TF. However what I find more interesting is that while PS5 Pro will have to go 72 CUs out of necessity, it might be possible for an XSX "Elite" to hit around that power (if not higher) with a smaller GPU, maybe even just the same size as XSX's if not slightly larger, since they aren't bound by CUs (and CU clocks) for BC like Sony.

And that could really create some crazy pricing between the two; could even result in an XSX "Elite" being as or more powerful than PS5 Pro yet comes in cheaper since it can probably do it on a smaller GPU.

mckmas8808

giphy.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why? Because folks like me will buy it.

I can get a XSS for 299$, plug it to my 1080P screen and play a bunch of games through Gamepass? Sounds like money in the bank.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well if it's an indicator, X's are being dumped for about $300 now. And I think even a game tossed in.

And I don't think Lockharts are going to be that much more powerful than X's. As time marches on, you always get more power for the same buck too.

So $300 seems doable.

mckmas8808

Why? Because folks like me will buy it.

I can get a XSS for 299$, plug it to my 1080P screen and play a bunch of games through Gamepass? Sounds like money in the bank.

I'm thinking about buying it too, but I wish I didn't have the option to. I want a strong MS next-gen with no anchors on their feet. This will hold them back. Mark my words!

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm thinking about buying it too, but I wish I didn't have the option to. I want a strong MS next-gen with no anchors on their feet. This will hold them back. Mark my words!
I'm giving you an assignment and I hope you accept it. Do not let me by a Series S. I am 100% certain that buying one will be followed by my 1080 TV dying, which would be a disaster of epic proportions because then I'd have a Series S hooked up to a 4k monitor.

Mypmarlo

Banned
I have a great 70" 1080p TV and no intentions to replace it.
So unlike many I am really looking forward to lockhard.
If resolution ll be only sacrifice... for 300$... seems like a real good deal!

rob305

I have a great 70" 1080p TV and no intentions to replace it.
So unlike many I am really looking forward to lockhard.
If resolution ll be only sacrifice... for 300$... seems like a real good deal!
With such a large TV the Series X will be the better choice for you since it can supersample the games from 4K to 1080p which will result in way smoother aliasing. A 1080p image at 70" is probably pretty rough. Have you tried using supersampling on a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X on that TV? I bet you'll see a big differnce.
Lockhart is still a great product if you have a smaller TV

Mypmarlo

Banned
With such a large TV the Series X will be the better choice for you since it can supersample the games from 4K to 1080p which will result in way smoother aliasing. A 1080p image at 70" is probably pretty rough. Have you tried using supersampling on a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X on that TV? I bet you'll see a big differnce.
Lockhart is still a great product if you have a smaller TV
That's why I mentioned that it's really great 1080p panel.
I bought it 6 years ago when 1080p was already cheap, but this one cost bout 5000$. And it does make a difference!
Even Switch games hold up really good on it. 1080p or 1440 downsampled looking surprisingly sharp. That's pretty much why I do not want new one. Latency on this one still one of the lowest
I expect Lockhard Next Gen IQ with all that machine learning to perform very vell. If not... Then yeah... SeX it is then

Last edited:
Top Bottom