• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S or wait for X?

ZywyPL

Banned
How many months? If more than two I'd get the S now and enjoy it, sell it later and get the X once you're back home for good.

Wait. There‘s nothing that great to play right now anyway, on either systemy. Wait 2-3 years until the AAA games roll out, then buy one, for a better price or with more storage.

Alright

Banned
Don't buy anything this close to E3, it's madness.

In this climate, if you can, i would wait. Pick up a 1x for now and then when the mid-gen refreshes hit in 12 months time, pick up am X slim

GHG

I don't like people lying about things they know nothing about. If you don't like the XSS don't buy one. Nonsense about it not being a current gen system, its going to be discontinued, it will perform worse as the generation proceeds and developers learn about the console get on my nerves. Plenty of people who actually own the system speak positively about it. People who don't and have an agenda speak negatively. I don't own one either but I've managed not to make up crap about it. Sorry that upsets you.

Pretty sad that you feel like you need to write a sales pitch on behalf of Microsoft at every opportunity simply because you take people's views on the console personally, but hey, you do you.

Last edited:

MilkLizard

Yeah with a 720p TV, just get that S. It‘s a cool console, compact, quiet and fast. You can always trade it in for the X later when you‘re back at the old place.

Matsuchezz

I have never seen an xsx console sitting on any store at all. I wonder if they are still being manufactured. Whereas i have seen lots of series s which i personally would not buy for anything in the world.. i would wait for the better hw. If you have a 4k tv. I do not understand 4k tvs are cheap nowadays. They are expensive if you want oled. I am waiting on ninja theory games to buy one xsx.

Xdrive05

I think the S is really neat, but maybe a little overpriced still. I see it as a $199 or $249 purchase in a world where big dick energy digital PS5 can be had for $399.

When Microsoft can get the series S down to $199, that will be a very important day to the market. 1080p is still very common, and even more than that, lots of mainstreamers can't really tell the difference between it at 4k most of the time.

If your last console was the 360 then yes get the S now and wait till you see the X on a shelf when you get back home.
I had the S for several months then sold it to a co worker when I got the X. The S will hold you over for quite some time.
You aint got time for loading screens.

Pretty sad that you feel like you need to write a sales pitch on behalf of Microsoft at every opportunity simply because you take people's views on the console personally, but hey, you do you.
Pretty sad anyone feels the need to dump on a console you know nothing about. Who cares if I am in a thread actually discussing the subject at hand instead of talking about a me. You must have lots of free time on your hands. Why aren't you playing with your PS5?

The guys a Microsoft shareholder.

He wants his $20 to double this year.
Yup a Sony stock holder too so I'll be getting $40 if that Video pass from Sony takes off.

Since you guys needed a bit of education here is an article about the XSS since you both lack understanding.

dcmk7

Banned
Pretty sad anyone feels the need to dump on a console you know nothing about. Who cares if I am in a thread actually discussing the subject at hand instead of talking about a me. You must have lots of free time on your hands. Why aren't you playing with your PS5?

Yup a Sony stock holder too so I'll be getting $40 if that Video pass from Sony takes off.

Since you guys needed a bit of education here is an article about the XSS since you both lack understanding.

Since we are sharing links. A link for you:

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-...esents-challenges-for-future-titles-4a-games/

Series S is going to struggle according to a well regarded developer as the generation natures. Not my words but a Chief technical officer.

Series S is perfect if you're not rocking a 4K set. I've been using it as a secondary device on my 1080p monitor while my X is hooked up to the big 4K HDR TV, and other than an outlier or two, only the resolution and the monitor's lack of HDR are any different. Same assets, same framerate, same features on nearly any game I tested (again, very few outliers like Valhalla that was 30fps vs 60fps for like 2 weeks then patched and Wreckfest that is currently 30 on S and 60 on X). The loading times, Quick Resume, and the network sharing of games just makes them brilliant complementary systems, and S is awesome to play on a 1080p set.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Probably one to two months tops away from being able to easily order a SX online, so I wouldn’t waste my money on the SS if that’s a second option for you.

GHG

Yes I am directly addressing you because I'm having a hard time figuring out why any time there's a thread about the Series S you're singing from the PR/marketing hymn sheet about a device that you admittedly have zero hands on experience with.

Everyone knows what the console is and what it's capabilities are by this stage, we can see that with our own eyes based on the numerous performance and general reviews that exist for the console. If people have come to the conclusion that it's not worthy of a purchase and that the Series X is a much better buy on a pound-for-pound basis then so be it, no amount of PR drivel is going to change that.

It's not like the OP is even deliberating what ecosystem he wants to buy in to, it's 100% clear he wants in to the Xbox ecosystem so why not give him advice that would allow him to make the best long term purchase based on his needs? What's the rush?

Ironic that you complain about "not discussing what the thread is about" and then go on to reference the PS5 in your post. You just can't help yourself can you?

Last edited:
The S is great for certain specific needs. Our household uses our Series S as much as our Series X. As a 1080p console it's great. I really like how compact, power efficient, and cool running it is. It's the perfect little back compat and emulation machine and is easy to fit in a backpack or small cabinet spaces. With our digital collection growing faster than physical, the lack of drive has surprisingly not been a big deal. Tho admittedly I can say that only because we also own a Series X. If you prefer physical media then the S is obviously a non-starter. And, if you have a 4k TV then def go with the X. We use the S in a side by side setup on a secondary 1080p TV and it looks sharp (And honestly, it also looks great on the 4k TV too...but you'll always "know" it's not fully pushing your 4k set like the X can in *certain games*).

So, if you have a 1080p TV and don't care about physical media then the only real downside is the small SSD. Again, for us, this isn't a big deal bc we own multiple systems and have large external drives on them all, but if the S is your only system you should know going in the SSD is going to fill up mighty quick. If you don't play a ton of games and tend to play 5-7 AAA favorites (or more if you play a mix of AAA/indie) before uninstalling and then installing new games then this isn't a big deal. But the S wouldn't work as a primary or lone system for me if I didn't have external storage simply bc I prefer to keep my entire massive collection downloaded and ready to go at all times (this isn't a downside unique to Series S, as PS5 definitely has an inadequate SSD size as well. But it needs to be noted and thought about before you purchase. That said, even Series X with the 1TB drive wouldn't be nearly enough for me on its own).

All in all, if you don't care about physical and know going in you'll probably need to invest in external storage (like every other current gen console) then Series S is a great deal for $300 (I'd like to see the price drop to $250 or bump the SSD up to 1TB when they do a mid-gen refresh/slim).

Pro Tip: If you have a Costco membership buy MS/Xbox bucks for 10% off, then use that to buy the Series S when it comes in stock direct from MS. I've picked up a few of them for friends/family for $270 using that little life hack. 😉 (same can be done with Series X to get it for $450).

Last edited:
Since we are sharing links. A link for you:

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-...esents-challenges-for-future-titles-4a-games/

Series S is going to struggle according to a well regarded developer as the generation natures. Not my words but a Chief technical officer.
And here is a comment from another developer.

'No trouble at all.' Not my words but another respected developer. XSS will be perfectly fine this generation.

You just have to expect by now that SonyGAF warriors are going to find any angle they can to bitch n moan about all things Xbox, even if they don't own one and can't speak at all to that experience. I own both, have perfect 20/20 vision, have the Series X and S set up side by side on 4k and 1080p HDR sets and altho there are differences on games which take advantage of the X, the differences are hugely exaggerated by people who can't seem to stop fighting a console war. Ultimately, both Series X/S and PS5 produce a great audio/visual experience. The S has its place in the market and is going to be just fine. Most of these people saying otherwise are concern trolling, warrior asshats. Is what it is. 😎

DaGwaphics

If you are willing to lose maybe $100, I don't see an issue with getting the S first (just because you can) and then upgrading to the X when available. You might not even lose that much, with the way the resale market is.

That's what I chose to do. I'm waiting on a XSS from Walmart and I'll upgrade to a XSX when I can. In my case, I'll probably wait for a good limited edition to show up (Halo Infinite or Starfield are good candidates for a custom console) since those resale better at the end of a the generation.

Which games? Actual next-gen Series X games or BC games?

Here we go, right on cue! 😅

I have over 1000 games in my Xbox collection. Take your pick. Ultimately, yes, as I noted in the post you responded to there are differences in some games which are designed to push visuals or frames higher on X, but these differences are greatly exaggerated in terms of real world experience (usually by console warriors with an agenda).

reinking

Gold Member
So I’m currently a thousand miles from my apartment and main gaming setup. It’ll be like that for a few more months. Where I am I have a 360 and a 720p tv. I have a significant digital library for both the 360 and Xbox One. Would it be worth getting a Series S in the interval? I think I know the answer, but I’d like some feedback.
Do you have a decent internet connection? I have been told streaming is the future. It might be a good temp solution in your current situation.

S0ULZB0URNE

And here is a comment from another developer.

'No trouble at all.' Not my words but another respected developer. XSS will be perfectly fine this generation.
Destiny 2 can't run 120fps on xss.

Figured id find you still in this thread. You are sad.

S0ULZB0URNE

I’d wait for the X

you get a more powerful machine with a disc drive and double the storage space
Plus the option to buy physical.

When a person needs more storage it's not economical either $300+$220($520)... when a much more powerful XSX can be bought for just $500 and offers more. 🤫

So I’m currently a thousand miles from my apartment and main gaming setup. It’ll be like that for a few more months. Where I am I have a 360 and a 720p tv. I have a significant digital library for both the 360 and Xbox One. Would it be worth getting a Series S in the interval? I think I know the answer, but I’d like some feedback.

I have a spare x that you can have. So...

LfhBdnC.jpg

Here we go, right on cue! 😅

I have over 1000 games in my Xbox collection. Take your pick. Ultimately, yes, as I noted in the post you responded to there are differences in some games which are designed to push visuals or frames higher on X, but these differences are greatly exaggerated in terms of real world experience (usually by console warriors with an agenda).

But what games are there that would push the Series X? I can't think of any yet. Obviously, the Series S can run Xbox One and older games just fine. No one is doubting that.

Top Bottom