• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms

Mmnow

This is assuming people should be ok with a weak console because 4k is a waste or because they want a powerful console that makes things look or play better at a lower res (physics or other effects) . These things aren't contradictory, it's just people misunderstanding others. If I say a a $100,000 watch is a waste doesn't mean I think having money is bad and I should be happy with a minimum wage job.

It's when people say having money is good until Microsoft does it that it starts to look a bit suspicious.

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

This isn't a deal breaker for me. I wasn't expecting any different and honestly couldn't care less. I had a Ps4 all last gen, a 360 before that, a Ps2 before that, and now it looks like a Series S. Brand loyalty in adults is fucking retarded. I'm getting this becuase it caters to my needs, at an affordable price. The cost of this + Game Pass is a no brainer for me.

These companies exist to serve a need that you're willing to pay for, not to be defended by hordes of fully grown men.

Three

It's when people say having money is good until Microsoft does it that it starts to look a bit suspicious.
I don't get it. Having money is good. I don't think anyone said having a powerful console is bad only that a lot of people are happy with using that power for things other than reaching native 4k. Even DF have this ideology.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
M$ is introducing two versions of the same console it's not that confusing, save money and buy the cheaper version buy games the old fashion way and get the upgraded version.

Mmnow

I don't get it. Having money is good. I don't think anyone said having a powerful console is bad only that a lot of people are happy with using that power for things other than reaching native 4k. Even DF have this ideology.
You're overthinking it. This thread is full of people saying the Series S has a problem because it's not doing native 4k, despite it not being a 4k device. Those same people say native 4k is a waste in the context of the PS5, which actually is a 4k device.

I was calling out the ridiculous narrative, not commenting on native 4k.

Edit: and actually, the Series S is doing exactly what you're talking about - having more power than the One X but not using it for 4k. How is that working out, going by the mountain of concern in the 20 threads such as this?

Last edited:

pyrocro

So I guess backward compatibility is back to being something everyone wants(uncanceled), now that hmmm 4k resolution is not supported on a console explicitly saying it will not support 4k.

is there a loophole in logic somewhere?

Three

You're overthinking it. This thread is full of people saying the Series S has a problem because it's not doing native 4k, despite it not being a 4k device. Those same people say native 4k is a waste in the context of the PS5, which actually is a 4k device.

Edit: and actually, the Series S is doing exactly what you're talking about - having more power than the One X but not using it for 4k. How is that working out, going by the mountain of concern in the 20 threads such as this?
that's what I mean, you're misunderstanding peoples position.
nobody is complaining about any new games not being 4k.

This is mutually exclusive, you can have high res with lower effects and physics or lower res with better effects and physics. The people you arr referring to seem to prefer the later. In this One S games on Series S case you get lower res and no added effects or physics.

I think it's more about it not getting those last gen game enhancements because it's a next gen console incapable of running the best version of last gen games. The console can run games at 4k if it can run those games at 120 fps but MS has kind of screwed the pooch by not offering high enough specs (RAM and GPU) to ensure compatibility with old gen games. Those games would need to be redone for the SS and can run at 4k if they wanted to. It's wasted potential to be running the inferior version of games on a next gen system. If they used the extra power to offer 1080p+ old gen games with extra effects compared to last gen nobody would care about it being 4k or not. It's just that its specs are low and not worth the rework it would take so you get neither extra effects or 4k.

The silver lining is that some games may be reworked to run at 120fps.

Last edited:

Mmnow

This is mutually exclusive, you can have high res with lower effects and physics or lower res with better effects and physics. The people you arr referring to seem to prefer the later. In this One S games on Series S case you get lower res and no added effects or physics.

I think it's more about it not getting those last gen game enhancements because it's a next gen console incapable of running the best version of last gen games. The console can run games at 4k if it can run those games at 120 fps but MS has kind of screwed the pooch by not offering high enough specs (RAM and GPU) to ensure compatibility with old gen games. Those games would need to be redone for the SS and can run at 4k if they wanted to. It's wasted potential to be running the inferior version of games on a next gen system. If they used the extra power to offer 1080p+ old gen games with extra effects compared to last gen nobody would care about it being 4k or not. It's just that its specs are low and not worth the rework it would take so you get neither extra effects or 4k.

I said it sucks people aren't getting the extra effects. Probably in my first post in this thread.

But I've read through everybody else's posts. Very few of the people moaning are moaning because there will be less particle effects and a lower draw distance.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

pyrocro

Where is this game that has better physics on the XBOX one X.

I think you making up an enhancement just to confirm your bias. (but I can be proven wrong, please)

also is it too weak to run the enhancements or it wasting its next-gen potential.

I think you're conflating a few things here, you seem to be making a list series S deficiencies when it's just two items memory bandwidth and amount.

which simply translates to "it's not a 4k box".

if you have a 4k TV and the money then get the series X or PS5.

if both Series S and Xbox one X were priced the same which would you get?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Total, absolute and radical disagreement. Backwards compatibility is THE feature. Just having the capability of playing my game library with better resolution and graphics it's a fundamental thing.

If thats true for you, just buy the x. Problem solved.

Three

Where is this game that has better physics on the XBOX one X.

I think you making up an enhancement just to confirm your bias. (but I can be proven wrong, please)

also is it too weak to run the enhancements or it wasting its next-gen potential.

I think you're conflating a few things here, you seem to be making a list series S deficiencies when it's just two items memory bandwidth and amount.

which simply translates to "it's not a 4k box".

if you have a 4k TV and the money then get the series X or PS5.

if both Series S and Xbox one X were priced the same which would you get?
I think you've conflated the issues. I never said there are physics enhancements on One X games.

When people are saying 4k is a waste on a PS5 or Xbox Series X they are saying they prefer that power be used on things like extra effects and/or physics.

On a Series S and One S games it isn't a case of making a compromise on something to gain something else. It's a you get neither situation.

Therefore saying that someone has changed the narrative because they think the series S is poor for running the inferior version of last gen games while gaining nothing isn't contrary to the belief that they think 4k is a waste.

I gave an analogy of this. If I think a $100,000 watch is a waste doesn't mean I should be happy with a low wage.

If X1X and Series S were priced the same and i had to buy one (I have a PC) I would get the series S obviously. The X1X is dead. I however would have been happier buying a Series S that was slightly more expensive than the X1X knowing it can play everything better than the X1X. Not sure where this is going though.

Last edited:
Have you seen Gears 5 running at 120fps on XSS? I have not seen it, can you provide a link? Was there a DF video?

The info is out there if you don't rely on MS detractors for info...

I think you've conflated the issues. I never said there are physics enhancements on One X games.

When people are saying 4k is a waste on a PS5 or Xbox Series X they are saying they prefer that power be used on things like extra effects and/or physics.

On a Series S and One S games it isn't a case of making a compromise on something to gain something else. It's a you get neither situation.

Therefore saying that someone has changed the narrative because they think the series S is poor for running the inferior version of last gen games while gaining nothing isn't contrary to the belief that they think 4k is a waste.

I gave an analogy of this. If I think a $100,000 watch is a waste doesn't mean I should be happy with a low wage.

If X1X and Series S were priced the same and i had to buy one (I have a PC) I would get the series S obviously. The X1X is dead. I however would have been happier buying a Series S that was slightly more expensive than the X1X knowing it can play everything better than the X1X. Not sure where this is going though.

But the XSS CAN play X1 games better than X1X. It can play games like Gears at 120 FPS. The X1X can't. You don't get 4k but you get a superior framerate. Isn't that the trade off most prefer? Also did MS EVER claim the XSS was a 4k machine?

Last edited:

Three

But the XSS CAN play X1 games better than X1X. It can play games like Gears at 120 FPS. The X1X can't. You don't get 4k but you get a superior framerate. Isn't that the trade off most prefer? Also did MS EVER claim the XSS was a 4k machine?
If you read my previous post I mention that the silver lining is that some games WILL be reworked (A SS version) to offer higher FPS.

pyrocro

Then why is it in your post, it's like you're trying to make a mountain🏔 out of storm in a teacup 🍵.
you put it there to play up your argument.

no one buys a 2080Ti to play at 720p after a certain point there is only so much you can see at 720p, 1080p, 1440p.
why are there no developers recommending you play their a game at 720p to get maximum EFFECTS/physics?

it's more power full than all current-gen consoles what more do you want for the price. Do you prefer it didn't exist?

?????

Trick question
if the series S has Faster CPU and GPU then Xbox one X which do you think will have better EFFECTS and PHYSICS?(you know the thing your arguing for)(remember Gears5 is running at 120Hz something the one X can't do)

what sort of reasonable constraints would you put in a console if you designed it t hit that $300 mark?

If you read my previous post I mention that the silver lining is that some games WILL be reworked (A SS version) to offer higher FPS.
As long as you aren't suggesting that the XSS should play games at 4k there is no issue. What ever MS does with XSS back compatible games it is not the 4k console. If the XSX doesn't play back compatible games at at 4k there is a problem though.

Three

Then why is it in your post, it's like you're trying to make a mountain🏔 out of storm in a teacup 🍵.
you put it there to play up your argument.

no one buys a 2080Ti to play at 720p after a certain point there is only so much you can see at 720p, 1080p, 1440p.
why are there no developers recommending you play their a game at 720p to get maximum EFFECTS/physics?

it's more power full than all current-gen consoles what more do you want for the price. Do you prefer it didn't exist?

?????

Trick question
if the series S has Faster CPU and GPU then Xbox one X which do you think will have better EFFECTS and PHYSICS?(you know the thing your arguing for)(remember Gears5 is running at 120Hz something the one X can't do)

what sort of reasonable constraints would you put in a console if you designed it t hit that $300 mark?
Sorry but you seem confused to me. Where did I make a mountain out of a storm in a teacup? I just disagreed with the idea that there is some hypocritical narrative change.

In this One S games on Series S case you get lower res and no added effects or physics.
This quote of mine in no way implies that One X enhancements include physics enhancements. It's only referring back to the argument that GPU power could be used for these things.

Ok now I see you like to infer things incorrectly. Where on earth did I say the Series S is worse than the X1X in effects or physics? I only said that saying 4k is a waste does not mean you shouldn't be upset that xbox one games run the one S version where you don't get the 4k or anything for not having 4k.

I bet the series S even gets reworked 4k Series S current gen games for that matter.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Has it been confirmed the ps5 will play the ps4pro versions of the few backwards compatible games that will work?

Games like God of war and the last of us 1 had different visual modes like resolution and frame rate so I guess if they do support the ps4pro version then we can at least play 1080p 60fps, 4k 30fps or I think there was a 3rd choice that allows both so that mode may be best.

Zuzu

The Series X is the better value product than the Series S. 3 x GPU power, faster processor, double the storage space, a greater amount of RAM which is also faster, plays backwards compatible games at a significantly better fidelity, 4k blu-ray player, the option to buy physical and second-hand games. All for $200 US more. For me personally I would pay the premium for the Series X. If you're only going to get one console, it seems like the better deal to me. If you keep it for 5 years before upgrading again then it's only an additional $40 a year over the Series S, or under $1 a week more for a Series X.

Last edited:

dottme

I’m interested to see the Digital Foundry video on cross gen games. I’m wondering if game like Assassin Creed Valhalla will look better on XOX or XSS.

Last edited:

aries_71

If thats true for you, just buy the x. Problem solved.
I'll buy them all, like a did with all the previous console generations, while mantaining my Geforce Now and Stadia subscriptions. Still backwards compatibility is important to avoid filling like all those games you previously bought are just wet paper.

scalman

but those boxes are small, everyone was talking how large XSX box is but its not at all, doesnt looks like at least compare to human hand
Gty1LM9.jpg

QONwB7f.jpg

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
the lack of disc drive is a problem. No used games, no 4k blu ray playback.

If you don't care about specs, the under 200$ xbox one is a better buy, unless they discontinue it.

Xbox one only plays a handful of 360 titles, or am I mistaken?

You are, it plays 600 including a few original xbox games.

T-Cake

Has it been confirmed the ps5 will play the ps4pro versions of the few backwards compatible games that will work?

We don't know diddly-squat about PS5 BC yet. I'd be very shocked, I say very shocked, if the PS5 didn't play games with PS4 Pro enhancements in that mode.

Dane

You are right.

All the cross gen and Gamepass stuff will run on every version of the Xbox One S/X and Xbox Series S/X until such time that Microsoft effectively kills last gen. Sometime in late 2021 early 2022 by all accounts so far. But even then those last gen systems will get games( I think.)

"The problem is choice."

The bottleneck is in the raw computing power or lack thereof of the Series S.

The Series X has the raw horsepower to to basically bully its way through the games that were patched for Xbox One X.

The Series S is not designed to bully that data, it would have to negotiate and reason with it but it lacks the required RAM that the One X has ( dont get hung up on that) to come to an agreement on how to display the game. RDR2 could run better on the Series S than on the One X but it would require the patches to be reworked and they would need time and effort and money that could be invested better on Next Gen.

A ground up version of Say Dirt5 or Watch Dogs 3 could run on the Series S at 4k checkerboard 30fps but why when there is Series X at 4K60 or better.

The is no hardware issue that would stop the Series S to run any One X game at 4K Res it is simply a matter of choice.

Pretty much this, XSX has raw power where you can just even try to force 4K on XONE games with perfect performance on the first try, needless to say on Xbox 360 games.

XSS in theory and pretty much in technical terms would be able to deliver it, the efficiency of RDNA is much better than GCN, couple that with planets ahead zen2 8/16 CPU compared to the still Athlon based Jaguar 8/8, you could definetely replicate the enhancements of Xbox One X. But the layer of emulation does have a cost, althrough smaller on Xbox One games due to be using the same x86 architecture, and also the physical memory usage of Xbox One X for the games can have a toll, which means that a specific coded version for XSS would be necessary, perhaps utilising more of the CPU compared to XSX to alocate the extra settings.

But considering that apparently it will have all the Xbox One X enhancement features except for the resolution, one can wonder if it would be possible to downres the 4k to 1080-1440p, this would help to reduce the memory usage.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So besides resolution and more stable framerates what did X do? Seems to me that the Series S will do more barring resolution and that should have been a given since it's not designed for 4k. The Series consoles will have more features for BC than the X does so this is a non-issue.

So, am I the only one that hopes that Series X will have a 1080p mode so that we can play even next gen games at 120fps? If they do that I'll just get the X. If they don't, the price and form factor attracts me to the S more.

Last edited:
PS4 games will run at original resolution and frame rate on PS5. PS5 will not enhance the game unless devs work the game. Only thing you will see faster loading and other hardware related benefits which Series S already applying thanks to newer hardware.

Coliation working on Series S version of Gears 5 and game is running at 120fps on S already in multiplayer with same graphics settings as Series X in multiplayer but at 1080p.

I bet OneX can't 120fps even at 720p lol.

So this dumb shit Series S weaker than One X is stupid. It shits on One X in every department except resolution

Last edited:
This isn't a deal breaker for me. I wasn't expecting any different and honestly couldn't care less. I had a Ps4 all last gen, a 360 before that, a Ps2 before that, and now it looks like a Series S. Brand loyalty in adults is fucking retarded. I'm getting this becuase it caters to my needs, at an affordable price. The cost of this + Game Pass is a no brainer for me.

These companies exist to serve a need that you're willing to pay for, not to be defended by hordes of fully grown men.

Brand loyalty as an adult is stupid, IF the said brand doesnt offer things that one wants/needs. Like a gaming console without really good games + exclusives.

Brand loyalty as at any age is smart, if said brand have been offering great products before and new ones continue it, like gaming console with really good games + exclusives.

It is not black and white, you know?

There is nothing wrong to buy product that suits your needs, but calling brand loyal people retards isnt fair, without defining are they blindly loyal or loyal because good track record.

I guess if you are "fifa & cod" gamer, it doesnt matter what brand of controller you are throwing into the wall, but if you are gamer that likes certain brand exclusives then that is alone big enough reason to stay on the said brand.

And if someone owns big PS4/xbox library (digital) then it would be waste to buy another brand, unless they continue gaming on ps4 too. Same with physical games, with BC there is more reasons to stay on the brand rather than switch, if competitor doesnt offer really good deal. But at least gamer could sell those physicals if they are not used anymore.

Xses + game pass isnt even cheap with that plan that includes gamepass, 600$ for 2 years. unless gamer plays hours / day, then just the console + buying games used or from sale is better deal.

Xsex would be maybe cool to own besides ps5, but when the price is 599€ and ps5 is probably 499€, that is way too expensive to get for 0-5 interesting exclusives that arent on PS5. And series S is to weak for that + no disc drive. (just my opinion that price points are wrong to be that interesting as 2nd system for sony gamers.)

It is fine to switch brands, but thinking less from people that like to stay on one isnt fair.

Self

It is fine to switch brands, but thinking less from people that like to stay on one isnt fair.

You named a few good reasons for brand loyality. But there is also the factor of company mindset. To 'believe in generations' for example.
I can't blame people for sticking with their favorit brand for that reason alone.

GodofWhimsy

Brand loyalty as an adult is stupid, IF the said brand doesnt offer things that one wants/needs. Like a gaming console without really good games + exclusives.

Brand loyalty as at any age is smart, if said brand have been offering great products before and new ones continue it, like gaming console with really good games + exclusives.

It is not black and white, you know?

There is nothing wrong to buy product that suits your needs, but calling brand loyal people retards isnt fair, without defining are they blindly loyal or loyal because good track record.

I guess if you are "fifa & cod" gamer, it doesnt matter what brand of controller you are throwing into the wall, but if you are gamer that likes certain brand exclusives then that is alone big enough reason to stay on the said brand.

And if someone owns big PS4/xbox library (digital) then it would be waste to buy another brand, unless they continue gaming on ps4 too. Same with physical games, with BC there is more reasons to stay on the brand rather than switch, if competitor doesnt offer really good deal. But at least gamer could sell those physicals if they are not used anymore.

Xses + game pass isnt even cheap with that plan that includes gamepass, 600$ for 2 years. unless gamer plays hours / day, then just the console + buying games used or from sale is better deal.

Xsex would be maybe cool to own besides ps5, but when the price is 599€ and ps5 is probably 499€, that is way too expensive to get for 0-5 interesting exclusives that arent on PS5. And series S is to weak for that + no disc drive. (just my opinion that price points are wrong to be that interesting as 2nd system for sony gamers.)

You're getting brand trust mixed up with brand loyalty my friend. If a brand has done right by you in the past, and you wish for that pleasant experience to continue then continuing with that brand makes sense.

If you feel a sense of loyalty to a brand as if it were a sports team and make arguments for an indifferent corporation becuase they make a thing you like, then that shit is fucking retarded. Especially if said person is in denial becuase of some childish bias for a fucking gaming box.

lucius

Kind of glad I was able to get Xb1X refurb about $200 right around when Series X was announced. BC is the biggest reason I kept playing Xbox, my libary is bigger on xbox than Playstation now but I still buy more full price new games Playstation. Series S isnt geared towards me, I think it will do ok this year at least but I cant see many people going that option in about a year from now. There are very good really cheap 4K tvs now and the 120 FPS in some games doesnt matter much to who this is trying to sell to.

vkbest

Soooo... how is this any different from ps5 backwards compatability? it actually improves fps and adds hdr, what does sony do?

PS5 will use at least PS4 Pro profile. And not, "improves fps" this is false, this is a simple patch some selected games will get, PS5 will get some patches too

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Games like God of war and the last of us 1 had different visual modes like resolution and frame rate so I guess if they do support the ps4pro version then we can at least play 1080p 60fps, 4k 30fps or I think there was a 3rd choice that allows both so that mode may be best.

Should be able to pretty easily. I know Sony said they were going case by case with BC, but that seemed to be more about straight emulation vs Turbo mode than Pro vs base BC.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

So IF a game is CPU bottlenecked, the S can do higher FPS. Otherwise, it will be worse than a XBX (better GPU and more memory bandwidth).

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If you want the X1X 4k patches either stick with that console or get a Series X, it's pretty simple really. Don't expect 4k on a machine designed for 1440p tops.

Mmnow

So IF a game is CPU bottlenecked, the S can do higher FPS. Otherwise, it will be worse than a XBX (better GPU and more memory bandwidth).
If you're playing on a 1080p TV, the Series S will almost always be better. If you're playing on a 4k TV, the One X will be better.

But this isn't a replacement for the One X. That's why it needs less Ram.

Is it confirmed the series S does also raytracing?
Yes.

Top Bottom