• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series SSD is not soldered on to the motherboard like PS5 is

An intersting Leaked picture of a Xbox teardown it looks to be a Western Digital PC SN530 NVMe SSD and with it not being soldered means you can probably replace and put in more bigger storage internal SSD if you like and also means if the internal SSD die you can replace it without bricking your console.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is great if true.

i was worried about this. SSDs last a long time but they can and will fail. it's much easier to swap out a drive than have to replace an entire motherboard. soldering stuff to the board is something Apple does to lock down their hardware. it means it's harder or impossible to fix. creates more waste.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So... not a Seagate internally? That’s kinda surprising isn’t it?
Why would it be surprising?

just because they partnered with them to do the external drive?

it's a good thing they didn't go with Seagate. we'd be hearing of Xbox consoles failing after a year. WD makes top tier SSDs

Could still have some form of software lockout for unapproved serial/part numbers.
they aren't Apple.

even if they did do that it's still infinity better than soldering your drive to the mobo.

Last edited:

HUELEN10

Why would it be surprising?

just because they partnered with them to do the external drive?

it's a good thing they didn't go with Seagate. we'd be hearing of Xbox consoles failing after a year. WD makes top tier SSDs
I know that much, I prefer WD myself. It’s just... still kinda odd.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I know that much, I prefer WD myself. It’s just... still kinda odd.
no it's not. it's common to use multiple suppliers.

sony used hgst/toshiba drives. they will probably have multiple manufacturers of their SSD. phones do the same for their storage. GPUs. RAM. etc. totally normal.

honestly it's silly to think they'd only use one manufacturer.

this is great if true.

i was worried about this. SSDs last a long time but they can and will fail. it's much easier to swap out a drive than have to replace an entire motherboard. soldering stuff to the board is something Apple does to lock down their hardware. it means it's harder or impossible to fix. creates more waste.
It true now found a better picture on twitter.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Yikes.
Is lead that expensive now?

I'm not even sure what you're asking here - firstly, there is not going to be any lead in any of these products because if there was they couldn't sell them in most of the world. Secondly, using a removable drive is the more expensive option - it requires an additional PCB with selective gold plating, the mating connector and additional assembly operations.

ssd probably wont die before your console gets outdated, but it is smart design to use standard parts imo.
But what if you want to keep your console for like 15-30 years i still have my 2006 PS3 and it still works great i fire it up like 3 to 4 times a month for the Gran Turismo 5 when something you love you want it to last forever lol

sinnergy

We knew that ... I brought that up as one of first weeks ago. I even told people it had all the signs it was removable, yet people still wanted to prove me wrong 🤣😜

I explained it to FXVeteran or NXGamer, can’t recall.

One guy even took my findings and did a YouTube the next day. Everything for views ..

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
But can we replace it with a faster PS5-SSD?

/s

i fully expect a revision with M2 strictly because there was no other option as they were building it.

This is also the same storage solution the surface x and laptop 3s use and you can find replacements but crazy cheap on eBay.

Trimesh

Banned
Has ms said anything if you change it. Is it like xone where you can't change it?

You can change the drive in the Xbox One - it's not officially supported, but (unlike the 360) there are no actual hacks involved. It's not as plug and play as the PS4 because you need to create the partition layout on the drive with the correct UUIDs and copy over the updater file before you install it, but it's not really complicated (well, unless command line tools like PARTEDIT freak you out...).

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Well yeah not surprising since it’s not that custom. It’s basically a standard SSD. PS5 drive had to be soldered to the board.

Good thing about PS5 is that they still allow SSD expansion.

bighugeguns

Would make sense to not permanently embed it to the board, it's one less component to worry about struggling to replace down the line.

I hate, HATE, HAAAAAATE phones with embedded batteries.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yo what?

So those 1TB Series S are just round the corner aye?

Its also a huge boon for MS because effectively when they need to make higher capacity Series Xs and Ss they just need to call up whoever and batch order a bunch of effectively off the shelf 2230s

Their cost of upStoraged models is effectively the same as the current generation.

I thought MS told us these things were PCIE4.
Thats a PCIE3 SSD?
Phison already came out and said they are supply the PS5019-E19T as a controller.
Then again thats also the controller in the expansion card so maybe Phison were talking about that and not the internal SSD.

Well yeah not surprising since it’s not that custom. It’s basically a standard SSD. PS5 drive had to be soldered to the board.

Good thing about PS5 is that they still allow SSD expansion.

I was literally waiting for someone to come and say: Good thing about PS5 is..........
You guys deliver on cue.
Haha.

Last edited:

MadViking

It's good it is removable, will be easier to fix. But also 2230 are very difficult to find and expensive. I wonder if some custom adapter would work to replace with standard 2280.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Damn why would MS put there PCIe3 and only let us buy stupidly expensive PCIe4 SSD, tho. Makes no sense, well it does to produce chepaer consoles, but like let us buy some cheaper and bigger storage expansion then....

sinnergy

It's good it is removable, will be easier to fix. But also 2230 are very difficult to find and expensive. I wonder if some custom adapter would work to replace with standard 2280.
I think that will be the way of modders ..

Cheap big / fast SSDS for us tech savvy 😜

Last edited:

sinnergy

Damn why would MS put there PCIe3 and only let us buy stupidly expensive PCIe4 SSD, tho. Makes no sense, well it does to produce chepaer consoles, but like let us buy some cheaper and bigger storage expansion then....
How would you know how much r and d went into this all ... it’s not all standard..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This doesn't mean you can actually replace it. They would have to support installing the OS to a new drive etc, which remains to be seen.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Translation:
It's just a common M.2 NVME of a PC that is inside the Xbox Series X. I took a screw and there you go. I believe it is a more expensive option than the one soldered directly on the board, but it will help a lot in future maintenance or maybe expansion to a bigger M.2!

evanft

While the worries about the lifetime of the SSD in the PS5 are completely overblown (something else will brick the console well before the SSD), going with a standard M.2 connection was definitely the right move by MS.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But the connection isn’t ... just saying .
What connection do you mean? Connector is the same, most like data transfer is going to use same protocols, because why not. So I am not sure what do you mean?

Top Bottom