• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X has 802GB net usable storage

Andodalf

Banned
Some of us did try to say this in the past. Both my 1tb drives on PC have 931gb and 929gb available when empty. Then throw in the OS as well and yeah here we are.
Dont know why the XSX OS is like 130gb though, when even Windows 10 is currently about 50gb, but they will of certainly allocated space for future OS updates and features.

SX has between 40 and 50 for quick resume, and another portion for game recoding being always available.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think it’s cool the XsX has both internal storage and expansion storage. That means I’ll have almost 2 tb when I buy the expansion!
Does ps5 work the same way or are you just replacing the drive like the ps4?

DoomGyver

I see a lot of transferring games to and from my 4tb external drive. I was really hoping that we’d leave these storage issues behind next gen.

Zathalus

I think it’s cool the XsX has both internal storage and expansion storage. That means I’ll have almost 2 tb when I buy the expansion!
Does ps5 work the same way or are you just replacing the drive like the ps4?
Apparently you can just plug a regular PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD in and it will work. The NVMe SSD needs to have 7GBps read and be certified by Sony. But they have had no details to offer at all on this front. The Samsung 980 should be compatible, but no idea yet.

splattered

If we can turn off quick resume to get additional storage space i am all for it. Or maybe specify "I only want two games in quick resume." ... i am fine booting up a game from scratch with the new SSD speed improvements.

nordique

More than my One X and Around what my PS4 pro had

One x was around 770 for me and PS4 pro was around 860 iirc

My current 1TB HDD in ps4 was 800gb useable

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS4/Pro have Restmode and quick resume where 1 game can be saved, and you can instantly switch between menu and the game. So the PS5 will definitely have this feature.

It would be great if you can turn it off in the settings.

That's very different though. The PS4 does this by keeping the RAM powered, so the game is kept in memory even when the console is "off" (it's not really off). Doing this with more than one game at a time means you need to write that memory to disk, so you're gonna have to reserve enough space for X games.

Why is this worthy of a thread? ppl know how HDD/SSD`s work right? u never get the full storage space if it requires an OS

It's giving the exact amount of available storage space which I'm sure is of interest to many people. I don't think the OP had console war intentions when posting this.

That's after being formatted, OS and reserved space.
IYm1wnu.png

For comparison:
Xbox One X is 780GB net usable space
PS5 is 825GB gross total space
So why advertise a 1 tb drive? I wonder how much space is available on ps5 drive that's false advertising to me

ZywyPL

Banned
I think that most of that space is reserved for Quick Resume - the console dumps the RAM into the SSD, and then fills the RAM with that data again, hence you can resume in the exactly same spot/position you were previously, and that would explain why sometimes you can have 5 titles utilizing QR at once, sometimes 8, and sometimes even 12, it all comes down to games from which console you are playing (OG XB, X360, XB1), as they were equipped with different amount of RAM.

Last edited:

Barakov

IYm1wnu.png

For comparison:
OOF.jpeg
I'll interested in seeing how much the PS5 has.

*In before the "You don't need more than 2 games stored on your system at any time" people show up

sixamp

I'm perfectly fine with 800 gigs of storage for my current to play games. You don't need 15 games installed at any given time. ,My pc has 3 ssd's and 2 2tb hdds and I only have like 6 games installed out of over 400 between steam ,epic,ubi and origin.

RaySoft

Why are the consoles OS so large compared to full fat windows 10?
Quick resume takes around 16GB for every state, so that has to be reserved together with OS and a small space just used by the SSDs controller. A 100% full SSD is a bad SSD. This ties into nand MTBF's. The controller makes sure it writes the nands as little and uniformly as possible. With a full drive the controller doesn't have any headroom to acheive that.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I will never need more than the X has to offer. I delete most of what I don't play. I would like an auto-delete function that would remove items after a set period of disuse though.

saintjules

I'm perfectly fine with 800 gigs of storage for my current to play games. You don't need 15 games installed at any given time. ,My pc has 3 ssd's and 2 2tb hdds and I only have like 6 games installed out of over 400 between steam ,epic,ubi and origin.

Yeah, this. I don't get why you'd need that many games on the main drive. I mean, I bought a new SSD for the Consoles (deciding which one will have it), but it will mainly be to store the games. I'll throw 2 or 3 games maybe on the main drive at a time.

Dolomite

As long as the Seagate drives remain$220 I'll be uninstalling and reinstalling allot this gen. Bitching and moaning? Maybe perhaps

sixamp

As long as the Seagate drives remain$220 I'll be uninstalling and reinstalling allot this gen. Bitching and moaning? Maybe perhaps
they are the same price as the samsung ssds for pc. prices will drop for all in the first year. Microsoft should have allowed all manufacturers to make ssds for the X

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm doing the same for Series X games. It's $300 cdn.

Going by today's hands on tests, swapping back and forth a 50gb game from SSD to an external HDD takes 7-10 minutes (each way I'll assume), so that's 14-20 minutes. That's a lousy way of flip flopping Series X performance games.

At the beginning, the 1tb could probably hold 8-10 Series X games with some additional indies tossed in. But reduce that number of there's some Call of Duty or GTAV Series X patches where each full game and DLC is like 200 gb each.

This will be fine for the first bit, but once the Series X games start flying in that SSD will fill fast. Then you got to hot swap or just perma delete a game from the internal SSD and leave it on the external HDD forever.

Last gen it wasn't an issue as the internal and external bought HDD ran it the same.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's giving the exact amount of available storage space which I'm sure is of interest to many people. I don't think the OP had console war intentions when posting this.
But what it has is irrelevant, because you can’t do anything about it. It’s useless information really. It’s in-line with every other console.

Last edited:

Dolomite

they are the same price as the samsung ssds for pc. prices will drop for all in the first year. Microsoft should have allowed all manufacturers to make ssds for the X
Agreed. I'm sure after whatever contract Seagate has with MS expires(if ever), some 3rd party will offer cheaper drives. Not the end of the world but who says no to options

Geruda065

Guys do we know if quick resume works in always online games? Take Destiny even if you suspend the game it will require you to log back in and it wont be where you left off it takes you back to orbit. And is all that reserved space for quick resume? Can we have option to disable quick resume and have like 150GB more space? I would take that any day :)

Andodalf

Banned
Guys do we know if quick resume works in always online games? Take Destiny even if you suspend the game it will require you to log back in and it wont be where you left off it takes you back to orbit. And is all that reserved space for quick resume? Can we have option to disable quick resume and have like 150GB more space? I would take that any day :)

Quick resume would occupy more like 50 GB

Allandor

Both Xbox and PS report KB as 1000bytes (base 10).
For 1024bytes per KB (KiB to be correct) it is KiB, GiB, etc (base 2).

802GB reported by Xbox is like 747GiB.

PS5 is probably around 700GB / 652GiB.
No, just like windows does for ages, if Xbox says it has 500 GB free it means 500 GiB. So it really is 802 GiB usable space on the x.

To make it worse, when downloading something the Xbox shows GB/s instead of Gb/s. Small difference, big impact (bits and Bytes). They fixed this a long time ago, but than with an update they show again the wrong unit.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So why advertise a 1 tb drive? I wonder how much space is available on ps5 drive that's false advertising to me

Because thats how big the drive is.
Its still a 1TB drive, the space that you cant use for games is still being used by the system so the drives size hasnt changed, and that space is being used.

If they told you the drive is 902GB but then an OS update increases the quick resume cache so now the usable space is 850GB.....they cant reprint all the boxes retroactively so they still say 902GB but after you turn on the system you see 850GB.....thats false advertising.

By saying its a 1TB drive, regardless of what else you or they do....the drive is still a 1TB drive, you just cant use all of that 1TB for games.

The PS5 will likely be in the mid low 700GB range.
I think Sony is actually using their SSD alot more for OS level stuff than MS, they would want to make sure that space is system reserved for sure.

IYm1wnu.png

For comparison:

Whether OP meant it to be misleading or not, this isn't an accurate comparison.

PS5 net usable storage will likely be roughly 650-670Gb after format & OS.

1TB SSD is ~932GB usable.
802GB Free for games, means 130GB is reserved by system.

PS5 has 825GB SSD, so ~768GB should be usable.

You're off by about 100Gb. Actual PS5 usable space will likely be more like 650-670Gb.

XSX 1Tb = 930Gb formatted (final usable storage is 802, meaning Os is 128)

PS5 825Gb = 768Gb formatted (final usable storage will be about 650-670 with ~100-120Gb OS)

Whether OP meant it to be misleading or not, this isn't an accurate comparison.

PS5 net usable storage will likely be roughly 650-670Gb after format & OS.
You don't know the difference between net usable and gross total?

Series X is 1TB gross total
PS5 net usable is 664GB, but that wasn't known a few days back

MrFunSocks

Banned
1TB SSD is ~932GB usable.
802GB Free for games, means 130GB is reserved by system.

PS5 has 825GB SSD, so ~768GB should be usable.
Lol wtf kind of maths or logic is this?

The PS5 SSD is 175GB smaller than the SX SSD, yet you think it will only have 34GB less usable space?

The PS5 will have something in the vicinity of 650GB usable.

Top Bottom