• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X has 802GB net usable storage

That's after being formatted, OS and reserved space.
IYm1wnu.png

For comparison:
Xbox One X is 780GB net usable space
PS5 is 825GB gross total space

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, at 800 gb, that's 16 50gb games. More like 10-12 after patches. Or 4 Call of Dutys! lol

But realistically, 800 gb might get you something like this?

200 gb - 1 Call of Duty
420 gb - 6 50 gb BR games with 20 gb patches each (70gb per game)
150 gb - Various small indie games
30 gb - Saved games and apps (pretty sure apps are small)
-------------------
800 gb

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn, that's lower than I expected for the XsX, makes me even more worried about PS5 now. I take it the expansion card is also 1TB, so you lose 80GB just for formatting etc. 120GB is a lot for an OS and capture location. I'd love to see their OS roadmap - they obviously have plans and features to introduce in that space or are giving themselves some headroom

CrysisFreak

Banned
That's actually OK. Over 800 free and clean is solid ngl.
I was worried their OS would eat stuff up with new features and everything but this is great.
Hopefully Sony keeps it lean too, comparably.

VinnyMac

I don't understand the storage bitching. 800 gb is plenty try deleting the games "you're gonna play one day"(we all know you won't anyway myself included) and storage won't be an issue no one needs 30 plus full ass games installed when in all reality your gonna dip your toes into maybe 4 of them at any given time.

Andodalf

Banned
That’s quite a hefty amount of space that’s not useable. I wonder if the PlayStation 5 has a similar amount of occupied space.

If it doesn't have a quick resume feature like Xbox Series does, That'll save a good 40 GB. Could see something in the 675 Range

Damn, that's lower than I expected for the XsX, makes me even more worried about PS5 now. I take it the expansion card is also 1TB, so you lose 80GB just for formatting etc. 120GB is a lot for an OS and capture location. I'd love to see their OS roadmap - they obviously have plans and features to introduce in that space or are giving themselves some headroom

Assuming you have 4 XSX games that take up 13.5 GB each that's 40 right there for quick resume. So 80 for the OS and game capture. Sounds about right to me.

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, so the OS takes up approx. 130gb.

Although personally, while all these OS features in next gen consoles will be nice, I would prefer something simple, fast and lightweight so more ram gets allocated to the games.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If it doesn't have a quick resume feature like Xbox Series does, That'll save a good 40 GB. Could see something in the 675 Range

Assuming you have 4 XSX games that take up 13.5 GB each that's 40 right there for quick resume. So 80 for the OS and game capture. Sounds about right to me.

PS4/Pro have Restmode and quick resume where 1 game can be saved, and you can instantly switch between menu and the game. So the PS5 will definitely have this feature.

It would be great if you can turn it off in the settings.

Kokoloko85

Didn’t I read Spider man has less data on the PS5 than the PS4 version? Requires less memory to install
Probably Xbox has something that does something similar

M16

That’s quite a hefty amount of space that’s not useable. I wonder if the PlayStation 5 has a similar amount of occupied space.
Storage manufacturers consider 1000bytes as a kilobyte, as opposed to 1024bytes.
So an advertised 1TB drive is in reality a 930GB drive. Then after your format it, it takes up some more space. Then you install the OS and you are left with even less space.

Ps5 after formatting and converting to real GBs starts at 750GB, before OS and other stuff they will put on there, so it's looking to be something in the 600-700 range.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pasted from the main Series X hands on thread, here's another important part. File swapping times between USB 3.0 and SSDs.

It looks a 50 gb going back and forth between a USB 3.0 HDD to internal SSD or back is 7 - 10 minutes. That's your hot swap time if you're moving files back and forth if you're using a standard external HDD like most of us. And I'm assuming each and not concurrently, so 14 - 20 minutes for a complete swap cycle. But if they can be swapped at the same time, maybe it is 7 - 10???

I tested moving Assassin’s Creed: Origins, a 49GB install, back and forth and was pretty happy with the results.

Here’s the data in minutes and seconds:

• Moving Assassin’s Creed: Origins from external USB 3.0 SSD to internal SSD: 2:18.53
  • From external USB 3.0 HDD to internal SSD: 7:46.03
  • From internal SSD to external SSD: 04:33.10
  • From internal SSD to external HDD: 10:36.78

Last edited:
Damn, these features must cost a lot of space. I wouldn't mind simple black-and-white text old-school style if it meant a smaller footprint, that's across the board.

Curious of how much usable space will be on the PS5 drive, then. I can see those earlier rumors about 75 - 125 GB of the SSD reserved for OS being true after all. Thank goodness for next-gen compression techniques, then.

Now how much space does that leave the Series S's SSD at, then? I'm hoping it's nothing sub-400 GB, that would be lame.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
1TB SSD is ~932GB usable.
802GB Free for games, means 130GB is reserved by system.

PS5 has 825GB SSD, so ~768GB should be usable.
Well you are think in GiB, I believe Free BSD fork on PS4 is using GB.

ethomaz

Banned
Storage manufacturers consider 1000bytes as a kilobyte, as opposed to 1024bytes.
So an advertised 1TB drive is in reality a 930GB drive. Then after your format it, it takes up some more space. Then you install the OS and you are left with even less space.

Ps5 after formatting and converting to real GBs starts at 750GB, before OS and other stuff they will put on there, so it's looking to be something in the 600-700 range.
Both Xbox and PS report KB as 1000bytes (base 10).
For 1024bytes per KB (KiB to be correct) it is KiB, GiB, etc (base 2).

802GB reported by Xbox is like 747GiB.

PS5 is probably around 700GB / 652GiB.

Last edited:

TheMan

Not enough with today's focus on digital delivery. But then again I don't think console manufacturers would ever offer enough (which I would say is 2TB minimum, preferably 3 or more) due to cost. Hopefully devs mitigate the pain of constant juggling and redownloading (ugh ps4) by making ultra high res textures a separate, optional download.

TheContact

I think MS and Sony knew they would have storage issues, that because of the pcie 4.0 SSD's costs, they couldn't do 2TB and keep the console to a price consumers would latch on to. So they made the expansion slot. MS advertises their SSD as 1TB whereas Sony says it's 825GB. Given that 198GB seems to be a "system reserved" type of container, does that also mean the series S is only going to have 314GB usable?

ethomaz

Banned
Doesnt the PS4 report in GB, not GiB?
GB yeap (KB = 1000Bytes, GB = 1000KB).
All consoles uses GB (base 10).

Only Windows (OS) reports GiB (base 2) as GB lol
That generate a confusion because the same external file on Windows will show a different GB size from seeing it on Xbox... the Windows will show the GiB size but it will name it GB while the Xbox will correct show the GB size.

BTW there are some articles about the Windows issue and some shameless excuses: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090611-00/?p=17933

Last edited:

Zathalus

Series S would likely have around 420GB free space available. Games would also have smaller install sizes on the order of 30% or so. Thus the equivalent to the X would be 550GB useable space. The PS5 as comparison would probably 650-670GB free.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Well I have 2TB in my PS4 Pro but I don't really use all of it. I feel its better if you hold less games at the same time. Of the 30 ish PS4 Pro games I have installed, I perhaps play like 3. The rest just sits there, finished once or twice.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Space is gonna be an issue, feel sorry for folks with data caps.

gonna be interesting to see how much space smart deliver saves ya on the series S

Last edited:

Stuart360

Some of us did try to say this in the past. Both my 1tb drives on PC have 931gb and 929gb available when empty. Then throw in the OS as well and yeah here we are.
Dont know why the XSX OS is like 130gb though, when even Windows 10 is currently about 50gb, but they will of certainly allocated space for future OS updates and features.

Concern

That sucks but definitely better than the xbox one x. Ps5 must be in the 600 range.

Im not trying to buy any ssd for either till a price drop. Just gonna to make it work as is for awhile.

soulbait

Why are the consoles OS so large compared to full fat windows 10?

My guess it is due to more than OS happening here. Will need space for:
- quick resume feature
- virtual memory
- compression swap space for when downloading/installing games (notice how on PS you have to have double the space available to download and install a game due to the way it unpacks it? I have never had that issue on MS consoles.)

These are just educated guesses, but you can see there is room for more than just OS storage needed.

Top Bottom