• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X July Event To Feature Rare’s Everwild

Dr Bass

Yeah, but Bugsnax, Goodbye Volcano High, Sackboy, 2 generations old GTA and a small Spiderman game as the only confirmed AA(A maybe) 1st party launch title are thrilling.

I had a PS4 this gen, that doesn't mean I'm not biased. I am, I greatly prefer Xbox. The posts I've seen from you including the one I quoted indicate to me a strong PS5 bias. That's fine but don't pretend otherwise.

I go where the software is. Right now that's Playstation and Switch. MS has definitely annoyed me with their incessant talk of "the games are coming!" and "Japan matters!" I loooooved the original Xbox and what that felt like back in the day. I preferred the 360 over the PS3 until more towards the end of that generation. And MS totally blew the Xbox One IMO. And I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart basically. I may be biased. I may have preferences, well all do, but hopefully I'm always honest with what I'm saying. MS has such deep pockets they could be funding ridiculously awesome stuff. Forza/Gears/Halo with a dash of Ori just isn't cutting it at the moment IMO. But hey, at least we both appear to be cat people. :messenger_beaming:

P.S. I was sort of hoping to make Series X my "main console" this generation because I love what MS is doing with BC. But they just don't have a lot of games I want to have always available and that annoys the heck out of me. PS4 and Switch seem to have a lot of Arcade classics that are emulated or whatever, and they don't exist on Xbox and I don't understand why. I would absolutely love to have a single box that had years of console and arcade classics that I could fire up anytime with the best performance. One of my favorite games I played on Xbox One X was Panzer Dragoon Orta. Awesome game. I would re-buy the 1 remake and Zwei if they release them on Xbox. I go all digital, so honestly, I would love to take that direction. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Definitely. They have a lot to prove, just showing games aren’t gonna be enough. Need games that actually come out and perform well beside their big 3(halo,gears,forza).
I think Xbox always, at least the past two generations, start the generation STRONG! 360 & One, had better 1st years than PS. With PS3 it was the first 2 years. I mean in terms of games released. They seem to have a hard time sustaining it through out the generation, besides their big 3. But, they've made the right moves to get the studios, at least in terms of the amount of studios, to have consistent releases throughout the generation.

Last edited:
I find this quote interesting. As a video games fan in general I don't see what the draw of this list is. I personally don't think Halo has been good since the original Xbox. Fable was disappointing since Fable 1 (remembere what Molyneux promised and then delivered?). Perfect Dark Zero was horrible and the N64 original was average. More Forza? More Gears? More Minecraft? Hellblade was extremely average. We don't know much about Everwild, but Rare hasn't done anything great since being owned by Nintendo. Doublefine and "bad ass" has probably never been spoken in the same sentence before in the history of the universe.

I do think Flight Simulator could be a great piece of software. I'd probably get that.

But the rest is stuff either driven into the ground, franchises that have a history of disappointing or smaller games that are quite average. Microsoft needs games that are completely new and bold.

Honest question. Do these games draw you into the platform, or is the platform drawing you into these games?
I find this quote frustrating. It just seems like you've batted out a list of personal opinions and acting confused that not everyone agrees with your personal opinions. People can say what they want about Halo 4 campaign but i played it before reading all the negatives and got sucked right into the story. Halo 4 MP on Xbox One also fet so smooth, was heavily underlooked because it is Halo 4.... Every Halo before pretty much has legendary status in regards to 4 & 5.

Again, i didn't know anything about Fable when i first jumped into it and was left wanting more... Mind you, i jumped it and Fable 3 and still enjoyed it.

More Forza? Definitely. Forza is a pillar of Xbox wether the "h4rdcore g4mers" like it or not, racing game or not. Gaming isn't exclusive to cartoons and platformers you know.... Us racing game fans love new games too, and thats one reason i like Xbox a lot, they cater to people like me in that regard. Gears? Yes, people also like Gears believe it or not.

More Minecraft? Is this even a real question?

Hellblade was extremely average. Most people who played it would disagree.

We don't know much about Everwild, but Rare hasn't done anything great since being owned by Nintendo. This is so out of touch. Go check the numbers for Sea Of Thieves on steam, 2 years after its launch.

In my opinion, Xbox just needs to keep on doing what they do best, but add more to it, not scrap everything they are known for and alienate a possible customer base of 50 million and more. They just need to take it more seriously than they have before. Do not bring something out if its not an impressive leap, let the developers take their time and go wild with their ideas and imagination as game makers.

Nothing more, nothing less. Even if they have 1 stellar hit that eats up the gaming community for the next 5 years (something big like TLOU, Minecraft, Halo) is all it really takes to get the ball rolling this year.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I find this quote frustrating. It just seems like you've batted out a list of personal opinions and acting confused that not everyone agrees with your personal opinions. People can say what they want about Halo 4 campaign but i played it before reading all the negatives and got sucked right into the story. Halo 4 MP on Xbox One also fet so smooth, was heavily underlooked because it is Halo 4.... Every Halo before pretty much has legendary status in regards to 4 & 5.

Again, i didn't know anything about Fable when i first jumped into it and was left wanting more... Mind you, i jumped it and Fable 3 and still enjoyed it.

More Forza? Definitely. Forza is a pillar of Xbox wether the "h4rdcore g4mers" like it or not, racing game or not. Gaming isn't exclusive to cartoons and platformers you know.... Us racing game fans love new games too, and thats one reason i like Xbox a lot, they cater to people like me in that regard. Gears? Yes, people also like Gears believe it or not.

More Minecraft? Is this even a real question?

Hellblade was extremely average. Most people who played it would disagree.

We don't know much about Everwild, but Rare hasn't done anything great since being owned by Nintendo. This is so out of touch. Go check the numbers for Sea Of Thieves on steam, 2 years after its launch.

In my opinion, Xbox just needs to keep on doing what they do best, but add more to it, not scrap everything they are known for and alienate a possible customer base of 50 million and more. They just need to take it more seriously than they have before. Do not bring something out if its not an impressive leap, let the developers take their time and go wild with their ideas and imagination as game makers.

Nothing more, nothing less. Even if they have 1 stellar hit that eats up the gaming community for the next 5 years (something big like TLOU, Minecraft, Halo) is all it really takes to get the ball rolling this year.

Great post. Thank you for attaching some reality to previous pile of :poop:. Especially regarding Halo 4, it's my 2nd favorite Halo campaign ever. Love what 343 did with the Chief and Cortana. They actually gave both of them some personality, the graphics are exceptional and better than most games this gen and as with all Halo games so polished, bug free with fantastic game and gun play. LOVED it.

Everything else was spot on too. Xbox needs to keep doing what they're already doing and simply add more games and even more variety to it. We will have a lot of WRPGs next gen, from several of the new studios, smaller family games like Grounded and Psychonauts and probably even some of those 3rd party cinematic games Sony fans worship in addition to the core of great games they have already.

Great post. Thank you for attaching some reality to previous pile of :poop:. Especially regarding Halo 4, it's my 2nd favorite Halo campaign ever. Love what 343 did with the Chief and Cortana. They actually gave both of them some personality, the graphics are exceptional and better than most games this gen and as with all Halo games so polished, bug free with fantastic game and gun play. LOVED it.

Everything else was spot on too. Xbox needs to keep doing what they're already doing and simply add more games and even more variety to it. We will have a lot of WRPGs next gen, from several of the new studios, smaller family games like Grounded and Psychonauts and probably even some of those 3rd party cinematic games Sony fans worship in addition to the core of great games they have already.
I'm glad someone likes my posts, the mods clearly dont haha. I agree on H4, probably one of my favourites except the final missions felt kind of like "run to this point" after a while but the actual story itself and that ending.... i just wanted more and sadly, H5 kind of deviated from there for some weird reason.

About the rest though, i have no idea what this forums interest is with Xbox completely ditching what made it what is is now and starting completely from fresh. Xbox is Xbox and it does what it does best, that being Multiplayers games, racing games and shooter games primarily. That was until Spencer took over and they seem to be trying to heavily push the smaller niche titles along beside their AAA games which i love, i've found lots of good games thanks to gamepass ect that would never see a huge marketing budget. i'm so happy that they seem to be making RPG games and especially buying Obsidian hints at other RPG-like games to look forward to besides Fable.

All in all, i've been using XBL since 2008 at least and can say i haven't been happier with Xbox than i am now in regards to their last few years. They survived the XB1 disaster and i'm just excited so see where they go from here. I seriously have no time for the constant skepticism, just happy to see they are trying to move forward in their own direction.

Last edited:
I find this quote interesting. As a video games fan in general I don't see what the draw of this list is. I personally don't think Halo has been good since the original Xbox. Fable was disappointing since Fable 1 (remembere what Molyneux promised and then delivered?). Perfect Dark Zero was horrible and the N64 original was average. More Forza? More Gears? More Minecraft? Hellblade was extremely average. We don't know much about Everwild, but Rare hasn't done anything great since being owned by Nintendo. Doublefine and "bad ass" has probably never been spoken in the same sentence before in the history of the universe.

I do think Flight Simulator could be a great piece of software. I'd probably get that.

But the rest is stuff either driven into the ground, franchises that have a history of disappointing or smaller games that are quite average. Microsoft needs games that are completely new and bold.

Honest question. Do these games draw you into the platform, or is the platform drawing you into these games?
It's like you missed the part where he says he's an Xbox fan.

Tiamat2san

I hope they’ll show some Japanese exclusive games.
I don’t count on it.
The beginning of the 360 era was incredible with the variety of games.
I hope they can approach or even equal that.

I think Xbox always, at least the past two generations, start the generation STRONG! 360 & One, had better 1st years than PS. With PS3 it was the first 2 years. I mean in terms of games released. They seem to have a hard time sustaining it through out the generation, besides their big 3. But, they've made the right moves to get the studios, at least in terms of the amount of studios, to have consistent releases throughout the generation.
You’re right. People seem to forget how fast they abandon their previous console when new one comes out, but they seem be doing it a little different this time around. I have hope cause I do want good games from them. It’s just they haven’t created a single huge IP(forza excluded) on their own, most of their big franchises are bought.

I thought it was a solid showing for a system launch, and had enough of a mix of fan favorites as well as a good amount of entirely new content. I was satisfied with what I saw for a launch preview yeah.

I don't expect people to remember my posts, but I have PS4, Switch and had the Xbox One X which I sold in prep for the Series X which I will probably buy at launch. You can be critical of stuff you like. In fact, being critical of stuff you have no interest in is just a huge waste of time. I'm rooting for Microsoft to do bigger and better things. Their current strategy comes across as if it's driven by bean counters and not people who have been playing games for decades. I mean, they saw there was demand for Battletoads and look at what they did to it. Is there a single person at Microsoft working on this game that have actually played and liked a Battletoads game? Certainly seems like the answer to that one is no.

Try harder, nobody believes you. Keep that money you were supposedly going to spend on a Series X so you can buy all those kiddy cartoon Indies Sony showed.

I mean, I would be more surprised if it didn't feature anything about Everwild. The game is set to release on Xbox One, so I also imagine that it will likely come out within the next 6 months or so honestly. Really excited for that game too, it looks absolutely beautiful and Rare is yet to make a game I haven't enjoyed

Greeno

You’re right. People seem to forget how fast they abandon their previous console when new one comes out, but they seem be doing it a little different this time around. I have hope cause I do want good games from them. It’s just they haven’t created a single huge IP(forza excluded) on their own, most of their big franchises are bought.
I don't see why securing IPs you invested in is a bad thing.

Microsoft was the reason Halo set a new standard for all following FPS games (Halo was a third person shooter before Microsoft aquired the studio, and an exec at Microsoft suggested a shift). They invested heavily in the franchise, it would only be right to buy it at the end.

Microsoft also invested heavily into Gears of War and made sure that it became what it became.

These games were funded and supervised by Microsoft, why wouldn't they end up buying them? It is illogical to consider that a downside when Microsoft (as a publisher) actually funded good games that were to be non-existent without that funding.

Last edited:
I don't see why securing IPs you invested in is a bad thing.

Microsoft was the reason Halo set a new standard for all following FPS games (Halo was a third person shooter before Microsoft aquired the studio, and an exec at Microsoft suggested a shift). They invested heavily in the franchise, it would only be right to buy it at the end.

Microsoft also invested heavily into Gears of War and made sure that it became what it became.

These games were funded by Microsoft, why wouldn't they end up buying them? It is illogical to consider that a downside when Microsoft (as a publisher) actually funded good games that were to be non-existent without that funding.
Did I even remotely say it was wrong? Don’t put words in my mouth. Of course they have the right to buy them. They are doing great things with Minecraft. I just said they can’t seem so something big with their own first party, like Sony or Nintendo has. And I also said that I’m hopeful this time around.

Creating a great new IP is very difficult. It's really interesting, they leave the generation early, but that means they can start working on the next gen stuff earlier. Leaving to work on the next gen stuff means they have to leave the last gen behind early. It a double edged sword.

A J.Lo reference?

giphy.gif

evanft

I mean. You can have zero faith (I'm not interested in Everwild yet), but fact is, Sea of Thieves has 60k daily concurrent players 2 years after launch on Steam only. So their next game will for sure attract many eyes

SOT is one of those games I hear has a lot of people playing it yet I know no one who does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom