• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X pre-orders very soon?

TLZ

Banned
I just a received a SMS from my ISP. I'm guessing this means we're getting a pre-order announcement very soon. I thought this was thread worthy.

Here's a screenshot I took of the SMS I received:

g7M6zhx.png

Hyped!

Edit: I want to make clear that I signed up for updates ages ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I just a received a SMS from my ISP. I'm guessing this means we're getting a pre-order announcement very soon. I thought this was thread worthy.

Here's a screenshot I took of the SMS I received:

g7M6zhx.png

Hyped!

Edit: I want to make clear that I signed up for updates ages ago.
Hmm with Xbox All Access. Was this always available in your country? Thought this was a US only thing

John254

Banned
Soon is pretty ambiguous. I fully expect both companies to launch preorders in august. But it looks like Sony will go first

DinoD

Do you really think Lockhart is still happening?
Because if preorder is happening soon, that means Xbox has basically ran out of time to reveal the thing.

I still think Lockhart being nothing more than the diversion tactics to throw Sony off the projected price/performance goal. The real blow will come in the form of Series X price. I think they will try to undercut Sony.

I still think Lockhart being nothing more than the diversion tactics to throw Sony off the projected price/performance goal. The real blow will come in the form of Series X price. I think they will try to undercut Sony.
You think Series X can beat $399? Because that is my prediction for PS5.

Stuart360

I dont think they would of discontinued the OneX and diskless XB1 if Lockhart wasnt happening. I wouldnt be surprised if Lockhart comes a bit later, but i'm certain its happening.

DinoD

I dont think they would of discontinued the OneX and diskless XB1 if Lockhart wasnt happening. I wouldnt be surprised if Lockhart comes a bit later, but i'm certain its happening.

Yeah. Perhaps. I am just trying to figure out the purpose of Lockhart where Seriex X costs the same as PS5.

Shantae

Banned
You think Series X can beat $399? Because that is my prediction for PS5.
Microsoft wasn't afraid to price Xbox One X at $499 when it released, so I wouldn't be surprised if Series X was at least that price. I expect PS5 to be around $499 as well, with digital edition being $449 maybe, or $499 with some digital code for something.

Stuart360

Yeah. Perhaps. I am just trying to figure out the purpose of Lockhart where Seriex X costs the same as PS5.
For me, i think the point of Lockhart is for the more causal gamer, that doesnt care about 4k. And people on 1080p tv's and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. And for parents who can buy a new Xbox for little Timmy without breaking the bank, or the parents that will be like 'No we are not getting you that new Xbox, you dont eevn have a 4ktv!'.
Loads of potential outcomes where a much cheaper next gen console, that can produce the same visuals as its bigger brother but at a lower resolution, would be a potential money winner.

DavidGzz

For me, i think the point of Lockhart is for the more causal gamer, that doesnt care about 4k. And people on 1080p tv's and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. And for parents who can buy a new Xbox for little Timmy without breaking the bank, or the parents that will be like 'No we are not getting you that new Xbox, you dont eevn have a 4ktv!'.
Loads of potential outcomes where a much cheaper next gen console, that can produce the same visuals as its bigger brother but at a lower resolution, would be a potential money winner.

That's the one my daughter is getting, she has a 1080p tv in her room and she couldn't care less about 4k but she'd probably like Fortnight with the enhanced visuals supposedly coming next year. I think that A LOT of parents would rather go with the XSS for the kids room. It should sell like hotcakes along with Game Pass.

Last edited:

DinoD

TBH. This only makes sense if you are trying to sandwich your competition. If Lockhart was real, Sony and MS would have announced the pricing. Sony initially tried to sell two versions of PS3. Guess which one sold better (much better). If SeriesX is same or cheaper than PS5 why would you want to take on the additional risks of having two consoles on the release?

Edit: If MS comes out with two SKU's they will probably be variations of HD space and/or disk/diskless.

Last edited:
What you are really saying, is that Series X would be sold at a price that would be unpalatable for the masses. And that a hypothetical Series S is the only way to salvage it.

I have seen this before. Many times, when Xbox come up with a bad idea, the forum come up with explanations on how it could be salvaged. And each time, that explanation ended up being false.

The idea of Lockhart actually started way before Lockhart itself. For a year if not multiple years, there had been lament by the few who wanted next gen machine to be $800 monster, that they should have their expensive machine and the masses can have a cheaper SKU. This desire wasn't based on economic viability; it was purely a desire to have overpriced hardware and then retroactively coming up with justifications for it to exist.

At this point, with August already started, i am ready to say that Lockhart is dead. It might have existed once, but I don't think it is possible for Microsoft to announce it anymore. At this point, hardware manufacture and stockpiling had begun, and if Series S/Lockhart was to be ready by Christmas, its production would have been leaked by now.

Stuart360

TBH. This only makes sense if you are trying to sandwich your competition. If Lockhart was real, Sony and MS would have announced the pricing. Sony initially tried to sell two versions of PS3. Guess which one sold better (much better). If SeriesX is same or cheaper than PS5 why would you want to take on the additional risks of having two consoles on the release?

Edit: If MS comes out with two SKU's they will probably be variations of HD space and/or disk/diskless.
Well i dont think Lockhart will be available at the XSX launch, i think it will come later, a few months or a year. If Microsoft are real serious about next gen, and i mean REAL serious, they could go $400 for XSX and $200-250 for Lockhart.

Kerotan

This price battle between Sony and MS is so entertaining. Likely 3 months from launch now, both must be getting sweaty. Can't wait to see who holds out longer.

After the tragic July showing from Xbox that sold more ps5's then xboxs, I'd say Sony are very happy to let xbox go next.

Well i dont think Lockhart will be available at the XSX launch, i think it will come later, a few months or a year. If Microsoft are real serious about next gen, and i mean REAL serious, they could go $400 for XSX and $200-250 for Lockhart.
A Lockhart launch 1 year later would be unprecedented. But it is more realistic now that we still haven't head a word about the damn thing.

DinoD

With $400-$450 Series X I just don't think that there's enough price differentiation for Lock. I'm not sure where you are from. Australian pricing sensibility may not be the same as US, UK, Europe or elsewhere in the world. Thinking of getting the console with an APU based on Zen2 and RDNA2 + SSD for $250 seems rather far fetched to me.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Feel like MS will undercut Sony by quite abit, still deciding what to go with first as both have been pretty disappointing in terms of launch titles

Stuart360

A Lockhart launch 1 year later would be unprecedented. But it is more realistic now that we still haven't head a word about the damn thing.
Well i just think we would have had more concrete details by now if it was coming at launch with XSX. Not a load of Twitter rumours that we have had so far. You may be right and it doesnt come at all, but i just cant see why they would discontinue the OneX and diskless XB1 if it wasnt cming at all.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it started last year if I'm not mistaken. And from what I remember you can easily upgrade to the Series X.
Oof sweet, hope they'll do something similar in Europe (outside of the UK)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TLZ

saintjules

I think xbox will launch sooner than we think, i expect an apple style one more thing and launch it with in a week at some point. I am thinking September

Yeah there was some discussion about this a while back. Initially it was in plans to release in August before that changed. I really wonder if they can pull off September.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah there was some discussion about this a while back. Initially it was in plans to release in August before that changed. I really wonder if they can pull off September.
Well they manufacture these things quick, the design has been locked for a good while now. We did see the digital foundry breakdown of the parts so i would be fairly confident they could have it rolled out by end of September if they wish to

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Could mean absolutely nothing.

Interesting info; but could literally be a timer that says "if someone signed up X days ago with no new info send 'info coming soon' message."

saintjules

Well they manufacture these things quick, the design has been locked for a good while now. We did see the digital foundry breakdown of the parts so i would be fairly confident they could have it rolled out by end of September if they wish to

Yeah I like this idea. I don't know if Xbox has anything else to show. Supposedly they do.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah I like this idea. I don't know if Xbox has anything else to show. Supposedly they do.
They will always have something to show. The only downside to launching in September would be no series X games would launch along side it i guess.

Three

They are still selling the One S and that can remain as their low entry gamepass platform. I agree though, I think they will likely release Lockhart when supply is greater than demand for the Series X and they need next gen only games begin to show.

njean777

I think xbox will launch sooner than we think, i expect an apple style one more thing and launch it with in a week at some point. I am thinking September

I doubt they will release in September, I say early November or late October and pre-orders start later this month. Reason being is you don't want to announce pre-orders and then not give people time to save money for it. Sure people like us may have already saved and such, but there are plenty of gamers that do not follow gaf or era and won't be ready that soon to drop 500$+ for a console so fast. Especially when with consoles you don't have the ability to pay it off slowly like you do with iPhones, etc.

Also I don't think Halo will be ready in September, which is the big launch title.

The world's most powerful console at $399 with free online? I think they'll be neck and neck with Sony in the US & UK.

But all their moves the last few years shows they're not too interested in taking market share from Sony (which business wise is a smart move)

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The world's most powerful console at $399 with free online? I think they'll be neck and neck with Sony in the US & UK.

But all their moves the last few years shows they're not too interested in taking market share from Sony (which business wise is a smart move)
I think Sony's marketshare is just too big, and unless they massively screw up I don't see that changing.

Yams

There's no way. Assassins Creed Valhalla launches in November, Dirt 5 in October, Cyberpunk in November, Watch Dogs Legion in October. A system launch needs games. Would love to be wrong though!

Top Bottom