• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Reportedly Has Always Online DRM for Physical Xbox One Games (see post #32 - unconfirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My internet was down for about a month or so this year and I did have issues with playing games offline with my console set as the home console. I mention this to clarify another point, you also have to make sure to set the console to "offline" because if you don't do that and some games were marked to be updated, it will not let you play those without connecting.
Yea this is an annoyance with Xbox. On PS you can play a game offline while its updating, on Xbox you can't. Once a game starts updating you can't touch it until it's done, I remember MCC had a 90GB update and I couldn't play it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No stories. Just reading the articles from other folks.
"Similar to other Xboxes (and unlike Sony consoles), an online connection is mandatory to get going, and the process here is exactly like Xbox One - which is to say, time-consuming and rather frustrating."
Xbox Series of Consoles Review - Eurogamer

Edit - Updated with more:
Here is another data point.
"Yes, there's a system software update to download - but it's not mandatory and you're free to examine Sony's early UI if you want to."
PS5 Console Review - Eurogamer
Sorry, perhaps my post wasn't clear; you're posting in a thread that is coined and minted FUD while saying there is no FUD. It's just a light hearted excuse to post a GIF I enjoy :)

Anyway, as for the PS5 update, sure, I can turn the console on - but can I play online and use the PSN Store without the day one patch? Because if I can't, I feel it's still mandatory to a degree. Being able to take my console offline for as long as I like is a requirement of any device for me - but requiring an active internet connection once to get the device setup is a nothing requirement. Hell, I'm pretty sure my fridge required a Wifi connection to setup.

Dnice123

I can't wait until we get the FUD for the PS5... next fud gen starts in 1 days!
The wonderful thing about these systems coming out is that "Joe public" can easily check these things instead of going by rumors of a select few previewers.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
dmc4ios2.gif

sn0man

Sorry, perhaps my post wasn't clear; you're posting in a thread that is coined and minted FUD while saying there is no FUD. It's just a light hearted excuse to post a GIF I enjoy :)
I said "No FUD here." As in I did not state FUD about the increased online requirements of the Xbox compared to the Playstation. I agree that other folks may be making more out of "home" consoles than they need to. I'm sorry if my post was vague or flippant, it wasn't my intent. Yeah that's a good GIF. something timeless about PotC — I should watch that this winter!

Anyway, as for the PS5 update, sure, I can turn the console on - but can I play online and use the PSN Store without the day one patch? Because if I can't, I feel it's still mandatory to a degree. Being able to take my console offline for as long as I like is a requirement of any device for me - but requiring an active internet connection once to get the device setup is a nothing requirement. Hell, I'm pretty sure my fridge required a Wifi connection to setup.

I mean.... it's mandatory in the sense that you (the you as random person, not you specifically) have to update to play online. But you're already online. You've already decided you want to play online. That's awesome. Who doesn't like online?

But the playstation gives you more options, more ways to do things. Maybe that doesn't factor into things for everyone. Sony's approach is just more consumer friendly. You can do whatever you want with the PS5 disc edition, and all the PS4s; the online is additive, not a penalty.

Here's another great example from NX Gamer (underrated channel).

Banned
Yea this is an annoyance with Xbox. On PS you can play a game offline while its updating, on Xbox you can't. Once a game starts updating you can't touch it until it's done, I remember MCC had a 90GB update and I couldn't play it.

that's also the reason a 100MB patch can take an hour to install on PS4 tho, that system has this one pro but a giant con in form of that copying files bullshit

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Fake news?

Stop with that shit we need to hate Microsoft.

Seriously though, if this was the case then Microsoft could kiss the Xbox franchise goodbye.
Online drm back then was thought as registering a physical game on your account so you had it both physical and digital, like with pc and steam.

You guys are acting like Microsoft wants you to not use their hardware and make you not play the games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Doubtfull the article is true but newsflash!

This just in - its 2020 and internet penetration in homes with $500 consoles is at 99.9%.

Plus, last time my internet went down, we......gasp........actually did other things instead of gaming, and we somehow survived!!

tryDEATH

Hook and sinker for the usual over zealous fanboys trying shit on Xbox from anywhere they can get their negative Xbox news from. Screw any legit confirmation just hoop on the troll train lmfao.

But watching the same people get owned over and over just because they want to take a jab even when they miss all the time is never going to get old.

sainraja

My internet was down for about a month or so this year and I did have issues with playing games offline with my console set as the home console. I mention this to clarify another point, you also have to make sure to set the console to "offline" because if you don't do that and some games were marked to be updated, it will not let you play those without connecting.

Just to clarify, you can play your games offline, but games in the 'update' queue aren't playable because they ask to be updated and since you can't, will close the game and return to your home screen.

devilNprada

I don't give a shit as long as they don't get rid of the home console concept....

We need a way to play 1 game purchase on two consoles period!

ManaByte

Just to clarify, you can play your games offline, but games in the 'update' queue aren't playable because they ask to be updated and since you can't, will close the game and return to your home screen.

And that's how it's worked since the original Xbox One. There's nothing new here except some attention whore with 600 Twitter followers trying to hit it big with a made up controversy that doesn't exist.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Checked his post history, can confirm. Incredible how interested he is in several Xbox topics when he doesn't seems like the type who would ever buy an Xbox console to begin with.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

So after reading your comment I checked the history too and I find their intense concern over a console they obviously have nothing but disdain for is kind of ironic considering they posted this comment about the PS5 in another thread:
Reviews say it feels like premium build. There is always a fake concern about non issues when it comes to Playstation 5 for some reason.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I went to test this with Forza Horizon 2 disc, the only Xbox One disc I have, and I just couldn't do it. Defile my pristine console with a spinning plastic piece of shit like that. I couldn't fuckin' do it, man.

MC68000

This shit is hilarious. Xbox is RDNA1, has no rt, is slower, it burning hot, smoking and now drm.

The neckbeards have been reaching hard lol.

Regardless of drm, who isn't always connected online? Maybe 5% of gamers. What a sad bunch 😂
You forgot PCIe 3.0 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Concern

You forgot PCIe 3.0 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yea I kinda rushed through the list lol. Im sure there's still more I was missing 😂😂😂😂.

Who would've thought, the fanboys who love crying "fud" are the ones so adamant in spreading it?

One of my personal favorites "not long now, tick tock". Our resident "engineer" hyping the amd event unveiling some Ps5 secret sauce 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom