• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Controller, First Impressions

Banned
So I got the system this morning and 2 Controllers with it, the packed in one and the Blue one.

Differences compared to the One S controller:

•The Sticks have slightly more resistance to them, which some will find good and some will find bad, I for one like am a bit less resistent.
they are close to Xbox 360 sticks now.

•The Dpad is weird at first, but it feels really good during circle motions, better than the Elite Controller dpad for sure IMO

•The grips/the grip texture feel better and more grippy than on the One S controllers, and the triggers arr a huge upgrade due to the matte finish and the texured grip on top.

•The Buttons feel more high quality. they feel almost like those controllers that advertise "fast response buttons". they are way easier to press in but the membrane below is still springy enough, so don't worry about that.

•The triggers feel higher quality, not only because they finally stopped making them using shiny plastic, but also they press down nicer than on any Xbox One pad I ever used.
the overall resistance is more or less the same, but they glide up and down way better... it feels like the mounting points and the triggers have less friction between them.

ONE HUGE WARNING:
I used third party battery packs on Xbox One, and those will have issues if they require/came with their own cover for the back of the controller.

the latch on points of the Xbox One controllers are slightly more spaced out on the top while the Series X|S controller has them closer together.

this means any Xbox One battery cover will not fit on the Series X|S controller!

So even tho the battery itself will fit, just like the Play and Charge kit still works fine with it, the battery cover will not work!

In short, don't buy third party battery packs that are designed for Xbox One controllers. almost all of them require a custom compartment cover which will not work correctly on the new controllers! The battery will work tho... so I guess if you have no issue having the battery compartment be open... you could use them... lol

so all in all it is a really nice controller, it is improved in basically every way, even tho some might find the higher resistance in the sticks to be a negative.
the only downside is that third party batteries will not work correctly with it due to most of them using a custom battery cover, which will not work on the new controller

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
hopefully they won't develop drift after a month.

i'm on my third XB1 controller. i'm not even gonna bother replacing it again. i'm gonna use it with my Series X and not bother using the new controller. don't want it to break after a few weeks.

Last edited:

splattered

Not happy about the battery compartment doors.. i JUST bought more batteries for my Fosom charging stand. Technically i have three stands in the house (Me/Wife, son, daughter) so i'm going to have to buy all new batteries once they put a new version out (If they even do!)

drotahorror

After XB1 controller connection issues on PC, and then the left stick being shit, I'm pretty leary of another XBox controller. Using my SN30 Pro right now and it's working pretty great (minus rumble).

Just got mine right there, first impressions are the bumper buttons and triggers are much better, they feel smaller and tighter than the Xbox One and I agree with the sticks, a slight bit more resistance which feels better.

now I just need to update and get playing.

Banned
Not happy about the battery compartment doors.. i JUST bought more batteries for my Fosom charging stand. Technically i have three stands in the house (Me/Wife, son, daughter) so i'm going to have to buy all new batteries once they put a new version out (If they even do!)

yeah I was bummed out too. but I have an official play and change kit and will use that for now, the third party ones will stay in the Xbox One controllers meanwhile

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My son says the rumble seems better. I felt the comparison and it did feel better but that maybe cause its newer but saying that the other controller is only 8 months old.

CobraXT

Banned
It's smaller than it looks, fits my hand perfectly but i feel people with big hands
would prefer a bigger controller

Last edited:

BigLee74

Not a great 1st impression for me.

Feels too small now, and the sticks definitely feel shorter. Also way too clicky and loud.

Dpad seems nice though.

I bought the controller to use with my PC and the D-Pad feel to be the best D-Pad of all time in my opinion i just love the disk shape it makes rolling motion with your fingers on platformer and 2d fighting games amazing i just like it way better than traditional direction d-pad plus it is very clicky so if you like clicky d-pad your gone to love it.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Actually wanted to know more about "third party battery packs covers"

I have an enegizer charge station with packs and was curious if it would work or not

Banned
My son says the rumble seems better. I felt the comparison and it did feel better but that maybe cause its newer but saying that the other controller is only 8 months old.

it seems a bit better yes, the impulse triggers especially felt a bit better to me in Forza

Banned
Seems like the Xbox controller will still be the standard PC controller for the next 10 years or so.

I still have the 360 controller here with me. Except for the DPad, it's still an excellent controller.

the biggest issue I have going back to the 360 controller from time to time are the sticks honestly.
the top of the sticks feel super weird and way too big after playing a lot of PS4 and Xbox One.

funnily enough I never had much of an issue with the Dpad and honestly really liked the transformable versions for playing SF4... not because you could turn it into a plus shape (because I didn't even use that feature) but the way it was built/felt

Last edited:

Plantoid

The grip is amazing, I like that they reduced the size of it slightly

The dpad is simply amazing, but I didn't like the click sound

They made the best controller even better

TLZ

Banned
It all feels great except I have one issue with it. The top part feels smaller than the Xbone. Like when I switch from triggers to bumpers, it's not very comfortable. I don't remember having that problem with my Xbone controller. Feels a bit tighter at the top.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I had nothing but issues getting this thing to work with my pc out of the box.
It was connecting at first. But no response from games. (Old xbone controller worked fine)

so i decided to update the controller.

then suddenly it worked with games. But the inputs where all messed up. Start and select button was right and left bumper in ori.

after fucking around with it some more pretty annoyed by this so called gaming experience.

i update my windows. Just in case. (Updated it like 1 month ago)

It suddenly started working. But only shortly as the controller was losing connection every few minutes for no reason. I activated the gamepass to DL flight simulator 2020. When that game was downloading i decided to play some tetris.

apperently there is a glitch that when flightsim is updating and you press the A button on the controller you will open a support website on chrome tor language packs.

when i stopped playing tetris i must have opened 400+ tabs on chrome.

anyway. So i decided to test splitscreen on my pc. And i connected my other gamepad. At first i couldnt even log in. But i restarted the game.
And suddenly it worked i was playing splitscreen on gears 5 pretty sweet.

but rumble was only working on 1 controller for no reason. (Batt was full)

After that i restarted i tried minecraft dungeons
And bam rumble working in both controllers.

i tried syncing my old controller to the ipad. And switch back to pc. And bam everything was fucked again.

pretty shit experience overall tbh.
i like the gamepad. Fuck pc gaming.

Top Bottom