• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox shipped 3.2 million consoles in Q4 2022 (PS5 7.1 million)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But doesn’t this only look bad relative to PlayStation?

If they’re selling 10M per year and the gen is 7-8 years long they’ll be at around 60-80M lifetime. That’d still put them among the top 20 best selling consoles of all time.
Seems we have some new info....

10 million a year?

And what consoles sell that much their last few years before the successor?

Robb

Gold Member
Seems we have some new info....

10 million a year?

And what consoles sell that much their last few years before the successor?
I’m just spitballing from 3M/Q, even if it slows down towards the end it should be higher some years when they’re actually pushing high profile titles (like StarField, assuming it’s good). So on average it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

It just sounds high to me, at least it’s more than I would’ve guessed personally. Especially with how poor their lineup and hype has been thus far.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

3rd place can still be profitable, successful and healthy. Just not sure Microsoft and shareholders are content with this level of success. Someone has to finish 3rd. Maybe 3rd place doesn't work with their current approach I don't know. But to a person like me, it seems healthy? Considering the past 10 years of setbacks for them. Who could have predicted the previous generation maybe have been the most important of all generations thus far.

Just bring out some good games and start chipping away, ready for the next gen reset. This isn't a WII-U scenario.

Chukhopops

People already forgot that even in 2020 the console market growth was priority #3 for MS after PC in NA/EU and mobile - as per internal documents.

It’s still an important metric obviously but not the only or even most important one.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is pretty much in line with what i expected, i estimate that XBS sold around 8.2m last FY (below) so 3.2m for the holiday sounds about right. While sales are not Wii U levels of terrible they are still not great. At this rate it will end up selling similar to Xbox One.
987lXf6.png

- All yearly and lifetime totals for Xbox console's are estimations
- Playstaion Vita yearly and lifetime totals are estimations
- Quarterly data for the final three years of PSP and PS3 are estimations.

So it's reasonable to think that Xbox Series consoles will probably do about 8.5 to 9 million sales in their 4th Fiscal Year?

So it's reasonable to think that Xbox Series consoles will probably do about 8.5 to 9 million sales in their 4th Fiscal Year?
I don't know, from Circana reports and European monthly sales Xbox Series seems to be declining so far this year, however things could improve if Starfield is a big hit and drives console sales during the holidays.

Top Bottom