• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox.steampowered.com subdomain found

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not really. There is no advantage for Microsoft to tie its titles to a competitiors ecosystem.

They are already throwing away xbl money away with PC releases of multiplayer titles, I find it very dubious they would put their titles on steam as well. Origin possibly, but not steam.

Only way this means anything is if its some kind of way to tie your steam library to your Xbox gamertag. It would be pretty smart if microsoft had worked out a way to read steam acheievements for multiplatform titles and award them to a ganertag if the game was also an xbox 360/one title.
Yes...that's what I was saying. A way to buy on Windows Store and use on Steam. Perhaps they can generate a key that can be used on Steam. Maybe Steam doesn't list the games for purchase, but then they'd still want a cut. Maybe they list them but redirect you to the Windows Store for a bigger cut. Maybe this is for a Steam app on Windows Store that streams your Steam games to Xbox One. There's quite a few things that can happen, but either way it'd be smart if Microsoft and Steam would form a partnership of some kind, Phil said Steam is important to Windows 10.

If the goal is to get more gamers using Windows 10 then Steam really isn't a competitor, they're a blessing.

You guys stuck on this Xbox versus everyone can't see the big picture. They rolled Xbox into the Windows group to create stronger preference for Windows. If Xbox and Steam work together then they'll effectively lock a ton of gamers into Windows for a long time to come.

Thats what the windows 10 store is for.

Yes...that's what I was saying. A way to buy on Windows Store and use on Steam. Perhaps they can generate a key that can be used on Steam. Maybe Steam doesn't list the games for purchase, but then they'd still want a cut. Maybe they list them but redirect you to the Windows Store for a bigger cut. Maybe this is for a Steam app on Windows Store that streams your Steam games to Xbox One. There's quite a few things that can happen, but either way it'd be smart if Microsoft and Steam would form a partnership of some kind, Phil said Steam is important to Windows 10.

I dont think even a steam key is possible but yes, I cant see a disadvantage for Xbox live and Steam integration. Its win win for both parties.

Valve sells to people who buy on console soley to tie achievements to gamertags, and Microsoft gives PC gamers more reasons to value their Windows/Xbl account and gamertag, which in turn leads to upsells to the windows store.

Crayon

So yea, you could definitely say that I perceive such solutions to be to the detriment of some players... not necessarily the PC playerbase (that would likely simply never play the game otherwise), but the existing console userbase I see various ways that current crossplay initiatives are inferior to how MS is currently handling crossplay between Xbox and Windows.

This sounds like we're in agreement. Valve's cross platfor strategy is only detriment to an outfit like ms who is trying to wall in users.

You say:

/detriment of/...the existing console userbase I see various ways that current crossplay initiatives are inferior to how MS is currently handling crossplay between Xbox and Windows.

You prefer the microsoft deal but that doesn't make it a detriment to users in general. Playstation users can enjoy crossplay with windows, mac, linux or any other other system or service. The fact that xbox users have a different deal is not down to manipulation on valve's part but a decision on microsoft's.

If you prefer microsoft's offer, then you are free to go there, but to suggest that valve is negatively impacting users in a direct way is off base.

Synth

This sounds like we're in agreement. Valve's cross platfor strategy is only detriment to an outfit like ms who is trying to wall in users.

You say:

You prefer the microsoft deal but that doesn't make it a detriment to users in general. Playstation users can enjoy crossplay with windows, mac, linux or any other other system or service. The fact that xbox users have a different deal is not down to manipulation on valve's part but a decision on microsoft's.

If you prefer microsoft's offer, then you are free to go there, but to suggest that valve is negatively impacting users in a direct way is off base.

If the way I've phrased my posts makes it sound like it's a universal negative, rather than something that applies to some users (including myself), then I've probably not done a good job of putting my thoughts across. There's very little that I ever view as being that black and white.. I just want to put across that this works both ways, and that simply having crossplay between console and Steam isn't universally positive either. Many are resistant of other distribution services on PC (such as Origin) specifically because they like their current standardisation, and the reliability of having all their gaming in one place... for a similar reason someone that favors the console experience may not be receptive to the inclusion of PC players in their otherwise console ecosystem, without it being handled in way that makes it seamless.

I'm not really sure how the conversation even ended up here tbh. I was initially replaying to a post that stated that Valve allowing competitive stores only helped them, and that MS and Sony should realise this. This should logically make the conversation about the service providers, and not the users directly. I disagreed with that poster for the reasons outlined in the part of my previous post that you snipped because you don't disagree. The way I see it, more users on the PC side benefit from the games releasing on Steam, but MS doesn't as it essentially relegates them to a simple publisher, whilst sabotaging their own ecosystem. On the console side, there's not a lot for the typical user to benefit from a Steam release, as Steam is a separate ecosystem, and its popularity on the PC side simply lessens the reliability of core Live functionality, as many of Steam's userbase would likely simply not use them. Windows 10 itself is more of a limiting factor than the Windows Store vs Steam imo. If I have a friend irl that doesn't own an Xbox, but I wanna play Killer Instinct with them, I doubt having to download it off the Windows Store is going to be a dealbreaker... unless of course they're not running Windows 10 at all.

Wow this could be huge if it's a steam link app or even better if it were a service like EA acess and let us install games on the Xbox and log in to steam. I think gaf would probably explode if Microsoft bought steam haha

ekim

Ah I remember it. I looked for it after I first found it in 2014. The domain was set up when HL2 released for the first Xbox. The link is in the manual (for support purposes). If someone has it, it would be nice to have it confirmed. It could also be in the Orange Box 360 version.

Conduit

Banned

UnrealEck

So it's registered to Valve?
I guess it has to be since it's technically steampowered.com, right?
Can't believe I don't know this and I took a degree in computer networks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If it became something like streaming my Steam catalogue on my Xbox, that would be killer.

MageBoySA

So it's registered to Valve?
I guess it has to be since it's technically steampowered.com, right?
Can't believe I don't know this and I took a degree in computer networks.
Subdomains don't get registered. They are basically telling the server "steampowered.com" to serve up the page at "xbox" instead of the one at "www." It means someone at Valve set this up. But it doesn't mean it will get used.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You guys had me with that origin.steampowered or whatever it was bullshit last year, I'm not falling for it again ;_;

Coldsun

Banned
You guys had me with that origin.steampowered or whatever it was bullshit last year, I'm not falling for it again ;_;

Except it was people being unknowledgable or overly hopeful with the origin one. Origin for CDNs is something completely different and not related to Origin PCs or EA's storefront.

With the way Valve is pushing for more openness with OpenVR, SteamOS and Vulkan,
I highly doubt they would form a partnership that would go against that.

However I could imagine something like what they did with Portal 2 and the PS3.

Wow I never knew Portal 2 has cross play feature. Is it still functional?

leeh

I really can't imagine a steam/w10 store integration. How would the loyalties work? I don't think each company would settle for 15% each or a off centre split. If they took more royalties, then its just terrible for the developer.

Since people seem to be missing this post, here's a direct image:

8XBku98.jpg

The dream is dead.

Top Bottom