• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox.steampowered.com subdomain found

found on reddit, no idea what this means if anything at all

Via Reddit and the poster above. Interesting, MS did mention a Valve partnership at E3 last year...

screenshot2016-02-13a22shd.png

Subdomains get made all the time, though, and many often don't get used.

Well, I didn't say it would get used, just that it had been found.

According to the site its quite old (July 2015) which would put it as about a month after MS mentioned a Valve/Vive partnership, could be something, could be nothing

With the way Valve is pushing for more openness with OpenVR, SteamOS and Vulkan,
I highly doubt they would form a partnership that would go against that.

However I could imagine something like what they did with Portal 2 and the PS3.

Zedox

According to the site its quite old (July 2015) which would put it as about a month after MS mentioned a Valve/Vive partnership, could be something, could be nothing

All I can tell is that it's going to be very interesting times ahead. Or it could be what jbug617 said above.

Jawmuncher

Might as well work with the biggest PC market rather than against it when your last attempt failed. Yeah I know GFWL stuff was still on steam but you know what I mean.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Are they including XBO controllers with Vive as well?

NH Apache

Banned
Steambox app for the one? Or streaming games to it?

Either way, this is nothing but positive.

Edit: In the wild, horrible nightmare world, Steam and MS team up to bring xbox live back to PC. Now pay 50/year for steambox gold to access internet capabilities!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Steambox app for the one? Or streaming games to it?

Either way, this is nothing but positive.
Oh shit, what if there's a Steam app on Windows Store and they implement PC-to-XBO streaming? So you can stream any Steam games to XBO, but still have to use Windows Store in the process.

Nzyme32

If it is an actual thing that happens, I'd take a guess it will purely be a support page for some sort of Xbox (as in the ecosystem that is on PC and Xbox) related feature, similar to how controller.steampowered.com is also just a redirect to a support page for that product, same as steamvr.steampowered.com

What exactly that could be, if it is even a thing in the first place, no idea

mike4001_

if they added this so i could avoid using universal apps, i would actually buy stuff from their store.

Why would just want to avoid Universal Apps ?

If you don´t want to use Windows in general I would understand. But just not wanting to use Universal Apps ??

120v

Valve buying the Xbox division off of MS?

it'd be the other way around, not that i think it'd happen

pretty clear MS sees its game division future with PC and PC comparability. though what that precisely entails dunno

Buggy Loop

I dont know why either microsoft or sony havent made a deal with valve to make their console a steam compatible box yet, it'd be a huge deal to have this.

gamz

Probably nothing but Spencer does praise Steam quite a bit.

Seem's kind of odd that they have all this PC talk right before the 25th.

Who knows, probably nothing.

ekim

It used to redirect to the support page for valve games on Xbox 360. They removed it though some time ago. Now it's back as it seems.

Qassim

I dont know why either microsoft or sony havent made a deal with valve to make their console a steam compatible box yet, it'd be a huge deal to have this.

What do you mean by Steam compatible? As in games on the PS4 and Xbox One could use Steam community features? I dunno if that'd be a huge deal given PSN and Xbox Live already have many of those features.

Registered by Valve, not Microsoft. Valve has always been open to working with the console manufacturers, both on bringing Valve titles to console and console titles to Steam. The problem with the relationship has been and continues to be Microsoft. It's Microsoft that prevents that relationship from happening.

This is nothing more than Valve setting up the beginnings of a potential backend should Microsoft finally get their head out of their ass about locking their PC offerings to the WIndows 10 store. If anything. More likely, it's the same link they used for support for Valve titles on Xbox 360.

Until Microsoft shows any movement away from their policy of locking multi-platform multiplayer into their platform (Xbox + Windows 10) or only releasing their PC titles via Windows 10 store, this is literally nothing.

gamz

Is that even possible? Won't the games themselves have to be re-programmed to make compatible?

Raide

Is that even possible? Won't the games themselves have to be re-programmed to make compatible?

I guess that's the one main benefit MS have. Built around Direct X etc. If they do a load of testing, a good amount of what Steam has would work on Xbox One.

Zeknurn

You don't know why closed systems with a single store won't allow someone else to add their own store?

Buggy Loop

What do you mean by Steam compatible? As in games on the PS4 and Xbox One could use Steam community features? I dunno if that'd be a huge deal given PSN and Xbox Live already have many of those features.

No, open the steam OS (app?) and have your library run on your PS4 like alienware's alpha.

They are PCs..

It used to redirect to the support page for valve games on Xbox 360. They removed it though some time ago. Now it's back as it seems.

Well, it's not like they had any console games in the last years, so...

...new game announcement imminent :p

Sydle

Windows Store.

Well, MS seems to be changing a lot of things quickly. It was just 6 months ago that Quantum Break and ReCore were Xbox One exclusives, now they're coming to PC, too.

There was also a survey from the Fable Legends team with a question about Steam.

I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.

Top Bottom