• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants To Provide A 'Steady Flow Of Great Games' Moving Forward

Vasto

It's not quite there yet, according to Phil

xbox.large.jpg

There are a lot of talented developers working under the Xbox banner now, and according to Microsoft's gaming CEO, Phil Spencer, the aim for the tech giant from here on out is to provide an ongoing stream of "great" video game content.

Phil touched on this during the same Xbox Era podcast - noting how Microsoft hasn't quite reached that point yet, as there's no "big game" for this quarter. Here's exactly what he had to say:

"We do have a lot of great games in development...We want to get to this point where there's a steady flow of great games that are coming, that our customers can predict...we're going through right now, you know, [and] we don't have a big game this quarter - so Matt Booty and the teams, and the ZeniMax teams...want to get to that point where we really have a great on-ramp for our platform and games that people can get excited about on a regular basis."

ByWatterson

They're closer than ever, but yeah, he's been saying this for a while.

I will say Xbox is swiftly turning into my "gameplay machine." When I have several hours available, I turn on PS5, get immersed in a story and world. But when I have an hour or less, and I just want pure gameplay, Xbox exclusives or Gamepass titles just beckon. Spent tons of time avoiding Horizon (which is so good!) to grind Halo challenges, screw around in Forza, quick mission in MCC or Doom.

So even if they're not dropping a new AAA title every quarter, which has been their stated goal, they're in MUCH better shape than even two years ago.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
They're getting there. Significant investments in studios (acquired and otherwise) and there's enough stuff in the pipeline to make that a reality.

He responded to a direct question on the subject in a podcast.

They're getting there. Significant investments in studios (acquired and otherwise) and there's enough stuff in the pipeline to make that a reality.

Yea 👌

Banjo64

cumsessed
They're closer than ever, but yeah, he's been saying this for a while.

I will say Xbox is swiftly turning into my "gameplay machine." When I have several hours available, I turn on PS5, get immersed in a story and world. But when I have an hour or less, and I just want pure gameplay, Xbox exclusives or Gamepass titles just beckon. Spent tons of time avoiding Horizon (which is so good!) to grind Halo challenges, screw around in Forza, quick mission in MCC or Doom.

So even if they're not dropping a new AAA title every quarter, which has been their stated goal, they're in MUCH better shape than even two years ago.
This is how I’ve used my Xbox for the past 2 and a half years (One S and Series S) but I’m feeling pretty fecked off with the state of Infinite at the moment after hitting level 100 months ago. As such my Xbox hasn’t had much on time in the past month.

There’s a lot of quick burst games available on Switch too that I’ve been filling my time with instead - Splatoon, Smash, Overwatch and MK8.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It’s a given. They acquired 3rd party yearly workflow publishers, where the games would have been there regardless, but now with a MS badge and the “see steady flow from us”

It’s not rocket science. It’s a,
mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

Waste of a question when it was common sense and inevitable.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

This is how I’ve used my Xbox for the past 2 and a half years (One S and Series S) but I’m feeling pretty fecked off with the state of Infinite at the moment after hitting level 100 months ago. As such my Xbox hasn’t had much on time in the past month.

There’s a lot of quick burst games available on Switch too that I’ve been filling my time with instead - Splatoon, Smash, Overwatch and MK8.

True - but at $60 a pop.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It is just a matter of time until they will provide a steady flow of games given all the acquisitions.

The biggest challenge for the future will be to manage all the studios and provide a diverse lineup over the year while increasing the quality of their games without any major sacrifices.

Last edited:

Fredrik

While they are much better positioned to do this now, they've been saying this for years.
Yeah, and it’s even worse this year than last year and last year was horrible.
I’m playing on PC (Elden Ring, Cyberpunk) and PS5 (HFW, GT7, Lost Legacy) now. I’m just booting up the XSX to play some Assassin’s Creed sometimes, finished the Odyssey-Valhalla questline last week.

Robb

Gold Member
Shouldn’t be too long until they’re pushing out a steady stream of games considering all the devs they have now.

It’s still kinda crazy to imagine they’ll have 30+ studios once the ActiBlizz deal closes in 2023..

The future is looking bright!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yeah, he's answering a very basic question with a very expected answer.

Unfortunately it's Phil so expect a lot of meme replies.

Yep, like moths to a flame this thread has attracted the attention of the blue troll army as usual. What else is new. But it sure will be sweet when all those games from 30+ XGS studios start rolling in Day1 on Game Pass.

I'd just like them to have better, more consistent communication with their titles in-development, honestly. Quantity of games isn't that important compared to the quality. Reveal more about their games layer-by-layer at interspersed points over the year in a way that tells a story of the game's development and shows (not just tell) more of what we can expect while actually playing that game.

They actually have a good thing going in some ways with Starfield in this regard, but I don't see why we have to wait until E3 for first actual snippets of gameplay. Otherwise I think Sony are a lot better at how they reveal their titles. It helps too that they don't have the tendency for game leaks anywhere near as much as Microsoft, and I hope Microsoft start to nip that stuff in the bud.

Sometimes the game leaks and secondhand accounts from certain insiders build up too much unrealistic expectation and once the game's finally revealed it may not live up to that, leaving some people disappointed.

Fredrik

This is after they just got publisher of the year with the highest average ever.
The meltdowns will be immense starting later this year as the avalanche starts to hit home.
We had an avalanche last year as well, I wish they would spread out the games more, having nothing in Q1,Q2 is annoying even if you know Q3,Q4 will be good.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They need a third big first party game for 2022 to go along with Redfall and Starfield.

What do you mean by "need" what happens if they dont.

Its inevitable that xbox will have the most games releases, they have the most studios.

And for the retards saying "its nice to want things" "where are the games" etc

Games take time to develop and some quiet points were inevitable because of the date of aquisitiona, development cycles and pre existing marketing deals.

There will be at least 1 significant game every quarter after q2 2022.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'd just like them to have better, more consistent communication with their titles in-development, honestly. Quantity of games isn't that important compared to the quality. Reveal more about their games layer-by-layer at interspersed points over the year in a way that tells a story of the game's development and shows (not just tell) more of what we can expect while actually playing that game.

They would probably go well by having more frequent smaller shows like Sony and Nintendo but this interview this quote is derived from, the hosts specifically said don't expect any news on new games, he just appeared on a podcast for 3,4 minutes.

That being said, it seems like MS are going for a big E3 caliber show in June. Probably don't want to reveal new announcements before that.

kingfey

Banned
It’s a given. They acquired 3rd party yearly workflow publishers, where the games would have been there regardless, but now with a MS badge and the “see steady flow from us”

It’s not rocket science. It’s a,
mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

Waste of a question when it was common sense and inevitable.
With money, you can get whatever you want.
Learned this from my little brother, who have better systems, While I am struggling with student debt.

sircaw

Banned
IT would be really nice to see some progress from them.

Hopefully, we get to see some avowed, fable, and some starfield among others as this year's E3 or Microsoft event.( and i mean gameplay, not shitty CGI rubbish.

Also, that quake remake game that i am secretly rooting for.

I expect things to kick along nicely next year, they have had long enough.

Top Bottom