• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

Nizz

If devs do have devkits out there, then MS seem to have a head start on things. If Sony (according to that other rumor thread) are determined to be out before MS next Fall, we should start hearing similar stories about PS4 devkits soon too, no?

theBishop

Banned
If you can buy an 8 core CPU today for $150, why do you guys think a 16 core CPU is going to necessitate a $1000 console 18 months from now?

The diminished role of PC gaming seems to have lowered people's awareness of technological progress.

Azure J

If you can buy an 8 core CPU today for $150, why do you guys think a 16 core CPU is going to necessitate a $1000 console 18 months from now?

The diminished role of PC gaming seems to have lowered people's awareness of technological progress.

Probably because this is a PowerPC part. Not that I'm advocating that the console would see a high price tag, but taking this rumor at face value means that you're getting a server class CPU in a console and the subsidizing of said part would only go so far before it become unfeasible for any console budget.

I'm curious about the quote about the PS4 supposedly being more powerful.

How??

The important point to make is that it's not about the PS4 supposedly being more powerful, it's about the dev sources back at GDC expecting the PS4 to be more powerful than the next Xbox. Those sources might or might not have known target specs of either machine.

gaming_noob

If devs do have devkits out there, then MS seem to have a head start on things. If Sony (according to that other rumor thread) are determined to be out before MS next Fall, we should start hearing similar stories about PS4 devkits soon too, no?

Been meaning to ask, who's that in your avatar?

USC-fan

Banned
That's old news from Charlie [SemiAccurate]

That article is from Jan 2012.

Look at this press release from that same week.

IBM and GLOBALFOUNDRIES Begin First Production At New York's Latest Semiconductor Fab

The new products recently began initial production at IBM's 300mm fab in East Fishkill and GLOBALFOUNDRIES' Fab 8 in Saratoga County, and are planned to ramp to volume production in the second half of 2012. The chips are the first silicon produced at GLOBALFOUNDRIES' newest and most advanced manufacturing facility.

The technology vastly improves microprocessor performance in multi-core designs and speeds the movement of graphics in gaming, networking, and other image intensive, multi-media applications.

http://www.globalfoundries.com/newsroom/2012/20120109.aspx

Shikoro

While we're here. Do you know how much the Wii-U & ps4 will cost?
I don't know anything since none of these specs are official.

Please explain why the Xbox 360 would cost 1000 dollars in the US? It’s pretty much a given that it will cost that much in my country, but please do tell.

Yep!

but what make you think it's going to be $1000? but if it was $1000 & I felt it was worth the money I would buy it.

That was an obvious hyperbole, but if it really had such a CPU backed up by an appropriate GPU and amount of RAM, it would be more than FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS ($$$). :p

All my guesses backed by "some" technological and programming knowledge. XD

mhayze

I'm not saying the original story is true, it smells of BS, but as far as a high core count CPU in a cheap console, consider:

The Xbox 360 launched with a 160million transistor CPU (Xenon) made with a 90nm process, with a size of 176mm^2, and had 3 PowerPC cores, or ~53 million transitors each [1].

In 2012, a mid range CPU from intel is the quad core ivy bridge, with a very similar die size at 160mm^2, and which has 4 Ivy Bridge cores (8 threads) at 1.4 billion transistors or ~350million transistors each [1] - i.e. each core is much larger than the entire Xenon CPU in transistor count. But the x86 processor is also much more general purpose computation focused, and has a lot of silicon dedicated to improve IPC and accelerate the x86 instruction set - things that wouldn't be needed in a console.

A theoretical PowerPC based 16 core CPU, that had 50% more transistors per core compared to the Xenon, would still use 1.2 billion transistors - smaller than an Ivy Bridge i5 on a similar process size, with an estimated die size of 137mm^2 on a comparable process.

Point is, Microsoft could easily build a 16 core CPU for launch in 2013-2014, that was smaller, cheaper and faster (per core) than the original Xenon was at launch - do the math.

------
[1] In reality, total die size includes cache, memory controllers, etc., but you can consider this a transistor cost that is divided per physical core.

StevieP

Banned
Please tell me people aren't believing this.

Please.

It seems they are :(

this post is truth. Johan Andersson (the lead engine architect at DICE) was complaining about PC CPUs in 2010. He said that the a lot of CPUs on the market are weaker than what we have in HD twins.

This is so far off the mark... an in-order CPU starved for cache and bandwidth is worse than the PPE? lol

why ? it's not like it has to be energy efficient, it's not handheld. 300W is acceptable for new consoles.

I don't think it is.

Maybe not a wrong rumour.. I remember something that MS wanted to have a 10-20 cores or something similar, for the 360..

They wanted to have a 4ghz OoO Power4-based multicore. (i.e. 2-4 core). They got a 3-core in-order PPE instead.

____
GAF don't do this to yourself...
Power7 doesn't come at 32nm, guys. PPC476FP does, and that's the only way you're getting 16 cores. A CPU of that nature (i.e. a bunch of small not-so-beefy CPUs running in parralell) is the only kind that makes sense in this rumour.

To put it in lamens terms: what would you rather have in your PC? A bunch of Atoms or Bobcats? Or i7s? Because I can tell you which one has a much higher per-thread performance and it isn't the small energy-effecient core. And also which one our developers would prefer every single time.

Edit: And just to add more fuel to the fire,
IBM in 2011 stated that it had the ability to add VMX/Altivec units (should sound familiar to many of you) to the PPC476's... https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techli...PPC470S&476FP_Technical_Overview_20110215.pps

They wanted to have a 4ghz OoO Power4-based multicore. (i.e. 2-4 core). They got a 3-core in-order PPE instead.

I see this information mentioned quite often and I don't know where it comes from, but according to Nick Baker, at first they wanted to go with a single x86 main core and 8-16 smaller cores specialized for floating point operations (not unlike the Cell, it seems), then they planned on going with 4-8 cores without the x86 element before finally settling for just 3 PowerPC cores.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I see this information mentioned quite often and I don't know where it comes from, but according to Nick Baker, at first they wanted to go with a single x86 main core and 8-16 smaller cores specialized for floating point operations (not unlike the Cell, it seems), then they planned on going with 4-8 cores without the x86 element before finally settling for just 3 PowerPC cores.

Exactly, something like this was what I remembered.

bhlaab

16 cores, that means the graphics will be 16 times better! Also you will be able to play 16 games at the same time.

StevieP

Banned

I've got one of the developer documentations at work (from November 2004) and I'll dig it up for you on Monday (not there today). The specs were near-final at that point, and it still stated a 4ghz Power4-like chip.

Anyway, I've done some more digging. The guy (Charles Johnson) who designed Waternoose (i.e. the PPE in the current consoles) did this in 2010:

http://eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222700420&pgno=2
The 16-core chip packs 1.43 billion transistors into a 428mm-squared die. By contrast IBM's high-end server CPU, the eight-core Power7, puts 1.2 billion transistors in a 567mm-squared die.

"We realized this might be more complex than Power7 when the IBM fab people start telling us our masks were so hard to build, so we started counting the transistors on the chip," Johnson said.

Unlike the Power7 which aims at highest performance, the wire-speed processor is aimed at highest throughput per Watt. Versions of the chip may span a range from 2.3 GHz 16-core chips consuming 65W to four-core versions at 1.4 GHz consuming 20W.

Johnson said the chip stands in between a multicore server processor like Sun Microsystem's Niagara and a more conventional packet processors from companies such as Cavium Networks or RMI.

"It's not a network processor or a server processor but a middle ground, a blurring of the two worlds," Johnson said.

And reactions from the press:
"Basically it sounds like a high-end ASIC along the lines of what Cisco Systems develops for its routers and switches," said Linley Gwennap, principal of market watcher The Linley Group (Mountain View, Calif.).

While the power consumption is in line with existing server and network processors, the die size is not, he added.

"That's a huge chip, bigger than most of the PC and server processor Intel makes and probably twice the size of many network processors out there, so cost-wise it will be tough for them to be competitive," Gwennap said.

"I don't see where they are getting something significantly better than using a merchant chip," he said. "The good thing for IBM is it leverages their PowerPC infrastructure and software rather than using a MIPS-based chip from Cavium or NetLogic," Gwennap added.
(Works like a standard network processor, twice the size and cost)

Is this the A2 that IBM was talking about in 2010?
Regardless someone, somewhere is getting their wires crossed here, rumour wise.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What are video game developers going to do with a 16 core processor that warrants spending this much on manufacturing when it could be spent on GPU and RAM? Fuck, many PC games still use 1 core in the CPU (Civilization 5).

It's possible. I just don't think it's plausible or a good idea (like Cell wasn't ultimately).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If Sony (according to that other rumor thread) are determined to be out before MS next Fall, we should start hearing similar stories about PS4 devkits soon too, no?
We already have. The battle for rumoured specs is raging for more than a week now. So far very little seems to make sense and is largely disappointing.

That is a massive cpu (567 mm2 @ 45nm), but on the other hand is crazily fast. 1 of its core core [4 threads] is by some estimates as fast as entire x360 CPU.

They're not going to include all 32MB of eDRAM if power7 is the way they go. They might not include it all but even 8MB would be a massive amount and greatly cut down on the transistor count.

Shikoro

You should learn more about mass production and how that affect the final cost of the consumer product.

I know how mass production affects costs, that's why I said $1000 was an exaggeration. :)

I just want some concrete, believable specs, not rumors with "made for hits" written all over them. :(

DieH@rd

Banned
They're not going to include all 32MB of eDRAM if power7 is the way they go. They might not include it all but even 8MB would be a massive amount and greatly cut down on the transistor count.

Its better to downsize it and focus on better GPU. Power7 is already sufficiently powerful.

Nizz

Who cares.
Give me the games.
I kind of like these times because when gens are overlapping, you sometimes see prettier versions of games coming out on current gen systems.

I imagine something like a COD title running at a pure 720p (or maybe even 1080p) and never, ever dropping below 60fps. That will already look like a nice little jump with the resolution alone.

onQ123

What are video game developers going to do with a 16 core processor that warrants spending this much on manufacturing when it could be spent on GPU and RAM? Fuck, many PC games still use 1 core in the CPU (Civilization 5).

It's possible. I just don't think it's plausible or a good idea (like Cell wasn't ultimately).

how do you know how much they spent on this?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
how do you know how much they spent on this?

I am making an assumption that more cores takes up more space, generates more heat, uses more power. It may be wrong, but even then do game software developers even have something for these 16 cores to do that a GPU can't already do vastly better? I recall Naughty Dog did some backgrounds and effects with Cell, but I imagine it would have looked better with a faster GPU doing those floating point calculations rather than sinking cash into Cell.

Shikoro

/cut
Is this the A2 that IBM was talking about in 2010?
Regardless someone, somewhere is getting their wires crossed here, rumour wise.
Wow, this seems rather interesting. The outcome is becoming more and more foggy. XD

I'm still for a POWER7 CPU. Come on Sony! :p

LuCkymoON

Banned
I am making an assumption that more cores takes up more space, generates more heat, uses more power. It may be wrong, but even then do game software developers even have something for these 16 cores to do that a GPU can't already do vastly better? I recall Naughty Dog did some backgrounds and effects with Cell, but I imagine it would have looked better with a faster GPU doing those floating point calculations rather than sinking cash into Cell.

Console gaming is rapidly changing from what it once was. Gamers want not only better graphics but a better social experience as well. That could be anything from recording/streaming your gaming sessions to better motion control device algorithms; all of which will take more processing power.

Ptaaty

If there are 16 cores, each will be equiv to the cores in the x360 but likely "overclocked", for BC purposes. Actually this kinda makes sense...

Satchel

Banned
$1000? I really hope you mean with like, 10 games, 4 controllers, accessories etc... Cause $1000's a little bit too much for a game system.

You know Americans pay next to nothing for videogames compared to other countries yeah?

I wish I only had to pay $600 for the PS3 at launch. Cost me a cool $1000. Hell, the Saturn cost my mother $899 back in 95.

Globox_82

Banned

Civ dev should spend the other 15 cores on AI since it is atrocious

Top Bottom