• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 should have been MS' iTV

Piper Az

As everyone boasts or moans about how PS3 has an extra-feature called Blu-ray playback to beat down Xbox360 and as I read about Mac's new iTV idea...I started wondering why didn't Microsoft worked harder to make 360 their iTV??? I know that they've been pushing their Media Center PC, but its presence in people's livingroom is rather pathetic. With no additional cost nor add-on (i.e. HD-DVD drive), Microsoft could make Xbox360 pretty attractive by adding a complete iTV-like features (instead of half-ass media connect crap).

It's no next-gen movie playback, but I'd rather have it over Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

fse

360 is a media center extender, so it can do almost the same stuff and more as the itv.

jedimike

My 360 makes a great PVR... the Media Center stuff works perfectly. It will get more widespread recognition once Vista launches.

fse

sangreal said:
how is the itv different from a media center extender? other than not needing windows media center obviously
not much difference, you need a mac for the itv.

xemumanic

sangreal said:
how is the itv different from a media center extender? other than not needing windows media center obviously

Exactly, everyone's gonna chant that Apple's innovated again, but they haven't. Apple is playing catchup to Micrsoft when it comes to this. Not that this iTV doesnt look like its a good product, and obviously Front Row is going to have to evolve to be a more MCE-like app now, but c'mon this is lame in that its nothing new. This is something MS innovated first. On top of that, for the same price, ifyou get a Core 360 you can play modern and classic games.

Rhindle

The 360 w/ MCE today does everything that Apple announced for iTV. And then some.

I have 200 movies and 900 CDs at accessible via my 360s remote. Not to mention an HD PVR.

It's a great product, and with Vista everyone will have access to it. Actually Windows Media Player 11 will apparently add video support for XP users.

xemumanic

SEBA said:
The 360 was rushed as it is. Maybe that's why.

Maybe thats why what? And beyond that, media center extenders were around WAY before. the fact that the 360 even does it was just an additonal feature, all it's doing is running the extender software, the original xbox did that unmodified via a disc.

i still don't get why they don't allow video playback via windows media connect when their own windows media techs say it's not only possible, but easily doable...

Apple releases a tivo plus on demand in a box. World shits it's pants as 11.

Wake me when this has anything to do with gaming.

Rhindle

The Faceless Master said:
i still don't get why they don't allow video playback via windows media connect when their own windows media techs say it's not only possible, but easily doable...
Video support for 360 is apparently built in to Windows Media Player 11.

It's just that the plug-in for the 360 dashboard hasn't been released yet. It will probably come with the next update.

xemumanic

Seba, did you even read what I posted? All they did with the 360 is toss on a PPC version of the extender software onto the 360. The 360 was more than enough to do anything the extenders do now. It's also why I brought up the Extender software for the first Xbox, more proof that it didnt need much hardware wise (although the Xbox 1 didnt do HD acorss the network like the 360 does).

But enough with talking to people who arent even bothering to pay attention, back on topic..........

Faceless brings up a good point. I was so happy to hear the WMP 11 beta was adding just that, but I guess they changed their minds.

Piper Az

jedimike said:
My 360 makes a great PVR... the Media Center stuff works perfectly. It will get more widespread recognition once Vista launches.

I think the fact that MS tried to sell Media Center PC for the video playback when the 360 first launched was a failure and a unwise business decision. People were confused and pissed that they had to buy another hardware to fully make a use of 360's great potential. This feature, thus, wasn't hyped up as what it could have been. Now, with all the talk about how the Media player 11 and Vista are going to enable the gamut of Xbox360's media feature makes me think "why couldn't Microsoft just enabled the full media capability from the beginning (i.e. everything with XP)?" All this need for an extra piece of software/hardware (other than an everyday PC) should have been avoided...

PG2G

xemumanic said:
Faceless brings up a good point. I was so happy to hear the WMP 11 beta was adding just that, but I guess they changed their minds.

What makes you think they changed their minds?

The iTV has a large hard drive and can do 1080p according to Steve Jobs' demo. The 360 is capable of many many media center functions though.

Piper Az

bill0527 said:
Windows Vista says hello.

Microsoft already has their strategy in place.

Windows Vista >> Xbox 360 >> Zune

If you think the Xbox360's media feature is going to entice folks to uprade to Vista, you need a reality check.

Most people are going to get Vista no matter what. There is no incentive really needed.

Norse

the iTV or whatever it ends up being called doesnt play divx so its the same thing as extender and should be bad mouthed just like it. Until these things support divx/xvid/etc without a hack, they are not for most of the people on these boards.

I dont think you need a Mac to use iTV, just itunes 7 or later.

daegan

bill0527 said:
Windows Vista says hello.

Microsoft already has their strategy in place.

Windows Vista >> Xbox 360 >> Zune

Yes, this strategy is BRILLIANT.

1. Purchase $400 console

2. Wait unending eons for release of flawed OS

3. Try to understand the feature/pricing structure that is far more flawed and bloated than OS

4. Pay topside of $100 for OS

5. Wrangle to install OS once

6. Wrangle to reinstall OS after it ****s up the first time.

(6a [OPTIONAL]. Burn with rage when realizing that the $299 iTV puts an HDMI port on the back of the box and neither of the 360s is capable of this output, and the $499 PS3 doesn't have it.)

7. Be out at LEAST $500. More if you want a portable device to complement this.

vs.

1. Buy iBox. $299.

2. Wrangle with network.

3. Fun.

No waiting for some ghost OS that's going to magically make it work, no lack of HDMI if that's your thing, and I'm sure it'll store more out of the box than a $399 360 and a $599 PS3. Well, probably anyway. $299 makes me slightly less sure of that conjecture. Oh and it works on PC or Mac.

I fail to see any comparison at all here.

xemumanic

Its funny too, the Vista MCE initerface shows up on the 360 if your MCE system is Vista MCE. Nice interface, but nothing really new that I've noticed. Still no Divx/Xvid support, or any of the other custom formats I can use on my modded Xbox and my HTPC.

Speaking of HTPC, MythTV got updated, lots of new features.

Piper Az

daegan said:

1. Purchase $400 console

3. Try to understand the feature/pricing structure that is far more flawed and bloated than OS

(6a [OPTIONAL]. Burn with rage when realizing that the $299 iTV puts an HDMI port on the back of the box and neither of the 360s is capable of this output, and the $499 PS3 doesn't have it.)

vs.

1. Buy iBox. $299.

2. Wrangle with network.

3. Fun.

No waiting for some ghost OS that's going to magically make it work, no lack of HDMI if that's your thing, and I'm sure it'll store more out of the box than a $399 360 and a $599 PS3. Well, probably anyway. $299 makes me slightly less sure of that conjecture. Oh and it works on PC or Mac.

To be fair, Xbox360 does a lot more than being a settop box - it's a next-gen gaming machine. So the extra price doesn't really matter. What's annoying is the need for extra software (Media Player 11), OS (Vista), or hardware (Media PC). It could have been a huge selling point if these weren't needed and 360 was hyped to be the ultimate box next to your entertainment system (even thumping PS3's Blu-ray feature, IMO)...but too late.

PG2G said:
What makes you think they changed their minds?
Because they changed their minds. :-(

arstechnica
After seeing this touted at a few other sites, I decided to fact check it and drop Microsoft a line. The bad news is that it was an error on their part. While WMP does support Windows Media Connect for pictures and music, video is not supported.
The WMP11 beta site now has no mention of video with the 360.

badcrumble said:
The iTV has a large hard drive and can do 1080p according to Steve Jobs' demo. The 360 is capable of many many media center functions though.

Does Apple's iTV have a hard drive? I thought it didn't. Just streams from the Mac/PC hard drive.

Edit: No the iTV doesn't have one. That's why people were saying the $300 price tag is a bit much.

bill0527

Piper Az said:
If you think the Xbox360's media feature is going to entice folks to uprade to Vista, you need a reality check.

Most people are going to get Vista no matter what. There is no incentive really needed.

No no.. I think its the other way around. In a couple of years, when a lot of people are running Vista, Xbox 360 will be attractive because the price will have fallen and it can be purchased as a very cheap media extender.

I've got a media center PC already, and my 360 gets used as an extender about 40 hours a week in my household between me, my wife, and my kids. We use it to record all of our TV shows, I use it as a jukebox around the house, and friends and family that come over are amazed that they can watch all of our pictures blown up on the big screen. In fact, we all pretty much fight over the Xbox 360 because we all have so many different uses for it. I can see myself adding more 360's to use as media center extenders to everyone's bedrooms in a few years when it gets down to a mass market price.

daegan said:

1. Purchase $400 console

vs.

1. Buy iBox. $299.

2. Wrangle with network.

3. Fun.

''or you could buy a xbox for 70 bucks and mod the shit out of it ~100 bucks more and have a better media center than this or the 360 can provide as of yet and not have to mess with any new OS's

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BCD2 said:
Because they changed their minds. :-(

arstechnica

The WMP11 beta site now has no mention of video with the 360.

they'd better change their mind back again after the apple announcement.

Vista is fine, but they can't expect people to upgrade to Vista *just* for X360 extender functionality. And adoption will be slow. There will be millions of 360 owners happy with XP for a good few years yet.

It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me to restrict this to Vista or MCE, both of which will be niche OSes for the next two years

mrklaw said:
they'd better change their mind back again after the apple announcement.

Vista is fine, but they can't expect people to upgrade to Vista *just* for X360 extender functionality. And adoption will be slow. There will be millions of 360 owners happy with XP for a good few years yet.

It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me to restrict this to Vista or MCE, both of which will be niche OSes for the next two years

Your kidding right. After Vista ships for consumer use nearly all PC's sold at retailers (online and brick and morter) will ship with Vista. You wont see Vista in big business soon, but a few months from now you walk into Best Buy and you will see Vista everywhere.

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Piper Az said:
As everyone boasts or moans about how PS3 has an extra-feature called Blu-ray playback to beat down Xbox360 and as I read about Mac's new iTV idea...I started wondering why didn't Microsoft worked harder to make 360 their iTV??? I know that they've been pushing their Media Center PC, but its presence in people's livingroom is rather pathetic. With no additional cost nor add-on (i.e. HD-DVD drive), Microsoft could make Xbox360 pretty attractive by adding a complete iTV-like features (instead of half-ass media connect crap).

It's no next-gen movie playback, but I'd rather have it over Blu-ray or HD-DVD.
iTV ships when... march 2007?

360 has been a media extender since 11/2005

next March Vista will be on all new PCs and iTV might be looking rather overpriced and stupid ($299 and does nothing but stream lo-res audio and some 640x480 fullscreen downloaded movies).

in the meantime 360 can add a SKU for the iTV killer next xmas (there's a thread discussing that).

badcrumble said:

LOL. misinformation ftw. iTV DOES not have a HDD. its just an extender for streaming your apple iproducts content to your large screen tv.

as for 1080p...i didn't see that anywhere. besides, where are you gonna get that 1080p content from? itunes? no.

Piper Az

chinch said:
iTV ships when... march 2007?

360 has been a media extender since 11/2005

next March Vista will be on all new PCs and iTV might be looking rather overpriced and stupid ($299 and does nothing but stream lo-res audio and some 640x480 fullscreen downloaded movies).

in the meantime 360 can add a SKU for the iTV killer next xmas (there's a thread discussing that).

You're missing my point of starting this thread. I have a XP. If I were to buy a 360 today, would I be able to use it as a fully-fledged set top box like iTV? The answer is no. Microsoft could have made it possible, but they acted stupid by requiring consumers to buy extra software/hardware.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
jedimike said:
How do you record on Xbox 360?

Bdub

I kept thinking while reading about the conference yesterday: my 360 already does this.

Anybody doing the 802.11a thing for HD? I'm wondering if 2 802.11n routers (one as the far end), with ethernet to the 360 would work better. Just a thought.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
jedimike said:
The 360 would be much better if it didn't require Media Center--in other words, it's severely gimped as a media machine. I can only stream music because I don't own WMC...and to make my 360 play movies and other stuff I need to upgrade my Windows version? Pay more to get full functionality out of the machine? Yeah...

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Piper Az said:
You're missing my point of starting this thread. I have a XP. If I were to buy a 360 today, would I be able to use it as a fully-fledged set top box like iTV? The answer is no. Microsoft could have made it possible, but they acted stupid by requiring consumers to buy extra software/hardware.
(almost) everyone has XP... you missed the point....

for $100 or less you can buy Windows MCE 2005 OEM. That is $200 cheaper than iTv and do about everything the iTV allows when it finally ships 18-months later.

Arsenal

The Faceless Master said:

Supposedly this is coming in the fall 360 update.

Piper Az

chinch said:
(almost) everyone has XP... you missed the point....

for $100 or less you can buy Windows MCE 2005 OEM. That is $200 cheaper than iTv and do about everything the iTV allows when it finally ships 18-months later.

ummm, no. Why do I have to buy Windows MCE 2005 OEM? My standard XP should suffice. I don't see Apple asking people to buy their version of Windows MCE for iTV to work.

Top Bottom