• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Funny how they're just locking down or deleting all discussion of this now on the Xbox forums, but Support still wants you to set up an exchange.

They probably don't want to guarantee the Oct update will fix it for everyone, just in case it doesn't

Shin-Ra

Someone should measure power consumption in various points of operation to see if they're just running the system hotter.

dh4niel

I got my Xbone this morning (couldn't wait any longer) and the second I turned it on it had the noise. Hopefully the October update does fix it.

derbene

Neo Member
Got my replacement Xbox beack today (new one, no repair). Still got the problem, thanks, Microsoft -_-

Got mine yesterday, the replacement Xbox does not have the noise-problem. But the blu-ray-drive seems to be extremly slow.

Quite interesting: On the bottom of the console there is a different label. Besides the fact, that there is no MFR date but a service date instead, the watt-hour numbers are completly different:

My "old" one said "Consumo de energia 180,0 wH" and "Consumo de energia en modo de espera 20 wH". On the replacement box the labels says "Consumo de energia 90,0 wH" and "Consumo de energia en modo de espera 1,5 wH". I'm going to measure the engergy consumption this evening.

Giggzy

Bought my nephew a kinect-less Xbox one a couple weeks ago. It had a gnarly coil whine out of the box and for the first couple days. After that, it magically stopped and has been silent. Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it worked itself out!

Bought my nephew a kinect-less Xbox one a couple weeks ago. It had a gnarly coil whine out of the box and for the first couple days. After that, it magically stopped and has been silent. Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it worked itself out!

The October update may have been updated and applied in that time which can fix it in some cases it would seem

Giggzy

The October update may have been updated and applied in that time which can fix it in some cases it would seem

That's only if you're in the preview beta though, right? He most definitely is not. Unless there was a mini patch before the big patch hits?

Virdix

When does the actual october patch release? I bought my Xbone 12 hours ago, just set it uo and its making the noises. Hoping the update will fix it, instead of having to send it in.

When does the actual october patch release? I bought my Xbone 12 hours ago, just set it uo and its making the noises. Hoping the update will fix it, instead of having to send it in.

You won't have to send it in if you bought 12 hours ago, take it back and exchange it.

Virdix

I'm not sure if there's a definite flaw, my Xbox One doesn't have Kinect and it's fine.
Sorry, I was under the impression it was a majority of units. Ill most likely just go exchange it then, thanks for the advice!

Edit: Just set up the new one, so much quieter. The guy tried to tell me every Xbox makes that noise and I was wasting my time.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sorry, I was under the impression it was a majority of units. Ill most likely just go exchange it then, thanks for the advice!

Edit: Just set up the new one, so much quieter. The guy tried to tell me every Xbox makes that noise and I was wasting my time.

I think a lot of them do make the noise without the October Preview. I imagine once this update goes live we won't really hear about the issue anymore.

ArchAngel

Got my 3rd Xbox and it's finally quiet. Talked to the call center a lot and he wanted to make sure that I get a 'good' Xbox. Now the only thing I can hear is the power brick :)

plc268

While I still have xbox noise, I just turned off the the "instant on" feature, as that was my main source of annoyance... making noise while it was "off."

Of course, it makes noise idle in the menus, but when playing games, it goes away. I lose suspend, but meh whatever. I don't really feel like going through and go through the replacement lottery.

derbene

Neo Member
Now I'm experiencing other sounds, coming from the optical drive. My One is deadsilent when there is no disc in the optical drive. As soon as I insert a disc, the system is getting louder - even when I disable "Autostart": The console gets louder even if the disc is not used.

Can anyone confirm that the drive produces a louder sound when a disc is inserted even if this disc is not played?

Is there any word as to when the Oct update rolls out publicly? I just recently got an Xbox with FH2 and the noise it makes with or without a disc in is insane! Really hope that it does indeed fix the problem.

dh4niel

I installed the update this morning and I no longer hear any annoying buzzing. I am hearing the fan a lot more now though.

People saying their consoles are practically silent is bullshit.

Zuigetsu

Neo Member
Same here. Noise is gone, but the fans are louder as they were before. But still a good trade :D. The sound my Xbox made when turning off was like its going to burst into flames :D. My Ps4 is much more silent, but the fans are less annoying compared to the noise. Maybe the next update will turn the fans a bit down.

Zuigetsu

Neo Member
I am pretty sure that they are louder. Also makes sense that they let them run fast therefore push more voltage through the board to make the coil whine disapear. But who cares the noise is gone :).

Just picked up the SS Overdrive bundle and while there is no loud coil whine I'm hearing a faint scratching noise. Sounds like the console is constantly reading the harddrive. Anyone hearing anything similar?

Rizzi

I grabbed a Sunset Overdrive bundle yesterday and the console makes this noise while the console is under load. :/

ctfg23

Just picked up the SS Overdrive bundle and while there is no loud coil whine I'm hearing a faint scratching noise. Sounds like the console is constantly reading the harddrive. Anyone hearing anything similar?
Pretty sure mine does this too. Not sure if it's normal though.

Lego Boss

Bought my XONE two weeks ago and never any probs with mine. I know that doesn't help much, but if mine whined like my two year old l would havw sent it back. (Unilike my daughter who l can't send back, neither would l wish to . . . I don't think)

wachie

I recently bought an Xbox One but havent opened it yet, still under the return period.

Wondering if I should just return it and buy from Microsoft store since they are apparently handing out extended warranties for free when you buy an 1 year Live card .. I have had three 360s broke on me and I quit that system which is why I'm a little bit wary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wIHNCA4ePU

This was the noise I had when I got a launch xbox, I'm taking it that is different (sounds it in the videos), still wonder if that could've been fixed by software update but damn it got loud as soon as I launched a game.

This is the exact same sound as my white Sunset OD console. Only hear it during gameplay, not using apps or watching TV. But this noise sounds like the hard drive video I posted. Is it just the brand of hd Microsoft uses?

malfcn

How fast are returns and are they new or refurbished? And will they take the console kinect and controller? I think my controller is bad and the system has that sound.

Top Bottom