• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

Can I safely unplug kinect to see if I get the problem and then plug it back in to make it go away? I'm curious if I have the issue but don't want to be stuck with it. Keeping kinect connected for now for voice controls but I may unplug it later if the UI improves enough without it (like the new snap stuff)

I unplugged mine for 25 minutes to test this out and the console remained silent. It's still silent after I plugged it back in.

Vargavinter

Phoned MS, sending a replacement asap. But they had to reserv the cost for a new on ony my card as a security incase i decide to keep both. Will take a week or so to get it since im living in Sweden and they are sending the replacement ones from the Czech Republic.

vertibird

Neo Member
I also got a kinectless xbox one yesterday. The weird thing is though. Its quiet on the dash. But when i launch a game and start playing it. That coil whirring noise starts. Is it just me?

I guess the big question is - will it have any long term effect or damage the unit in any way, shape or form? I would hope at some point if MS could clarify on this.

If not, I can live with this little noise. I mean if you can hear it way across the room or down the hall then yea, I'd get it swapped - but in some cases (including mine) its very, very low volume.

jacobeid

Banned
I also got a kinectless xbox one yesterday. The weird thing is though. Its quiet on the dash. But when i launch a game and start playing it. That coil whirring noise starts. Is it just me?

Mine happened regardless of whether or not I was in-game or in-menu.

Vestax

Banned
I guess the big question is - will it have any long term effect or damage the unit in any way, shape or form? I would hope at some point if MS could clarify on this.

Good question, this is what I've been wondering.

I doubt we'll ever get a formal acknowledgement from MS. It's bad PR (the XB1 doesn't need any more of this), and could be costly. Loss-loss from MS's point of view.

slapnuts

What? You just let what could be something that's not a huge thing make you return it and you haven't opened it yet to play? Ha.. you should return it. Who waits days to open up their brand new consoles? This is wild to see all the people in here all "concerned" now and now NOT going to buy an X1 because of this. lmao, classic.

Ha ha.. great joke.

So you're lyao because people are concerned about something that is clearly faulty going on with a lot of X1's? Money these days is more important than ever with the up and down economy and people don't want to burn their hard earned money knowing there could be an issue that may could get severely worse over time.

And you seem to forget what RROD did to many folks conscious concerning Xbox consoles...it's still in the back of our minds even when it comes to other consoles like PS4.

I think you come off rather shrewd about it really because people want their investment in a console to last, not die on them later on down the road.

Heck i don't even own a X1 and it worries me

slapnuts

Threads like this are sometimes why I hate the internet.

I just got an XB1 a few days ago and so far it's been quiet as a church mouse (so quiet to the point that I'm worried it isn't even working because I don't hear a thing). Now I'm worried that the problem is eventually going to pop up, because I'm paranoid about those things.

I hear ya man...I am a big home theater enthusiast and i love to frequent avsforum.com but yet i hate going there at the same time lol because people post things about HT components or TV's that i may happen to own and they point out flaws,etc and once i read that...my eye's are suddenly looking for these flaws on my own gear.

I bet there are a lot of people out there with this noise issue that do not even realize it...Personally i have everything connected to a high end home theater setup in the living room including my PC which has 8 fans inside the case...and i never notice or hear the noise coming from my PC ...but for some others...they would easily notice the noise. I usually have my sound pumped up for all things..movie watching, music, gaming,etc so if i had an xbox one..i wouldnt probably even of noticed the noise....

ArchAngel

Bought mine some days ago, updated it at the beginning and the sound was there. Called MS and they take it back "to repair". I hope they will exchange it :/

Well, I only need it to play MCC, so there is plenty of time :p

@_@

This explains what might have been happening at my buddy's house the other night. We all thought it was the TV or something in the house while we were trying to watch some shows on Netflix. Thought I was going crazy since I heard it more-so than everyone else (was also sitting closer to the TV).

SURGEdude

Mine certainly sounds different when kinect is plugged-in or not. But thankfully even when not plugged the noise is fairly quiet. Launch model FYI.

My first kinectless Xbox one I picked up had this noise, apparently it's something rubbing the fan. I took it back immediately and the replacement works like a dream and no noise.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
does anyone have any actual numbers on how widespread this is? I've been watching gameplay vids of Sunset overdrive and that looks insaaaaaaaaaaaaaane. I want in on that.

djshauny

Banned
My first xbox had that horrid disc crunching sound so I got a refund. Was thinking of buying another console next week but I might hold off.

How widespread is this issue?

Yeah I'm all confused. Target has the $50 gift card offer and 5% off there with the red card that I was thinking of getting it this week. But these fan issues and that white console in a month and a half

atomsk

Party Pooper
Looking at the Xbox forums it seems people who are doing advanced replacements are still getting in noisy consoles.

I was going to call this week, but maybe I should hold off a little longer

malfcn

Do the expedite the process? I don't want to send in and then wait. I know they said it has to do with drawing power, but how does this happen?

Timmay

Banned
Yeah, it appears that MS isn't actually repairing the consoles. They're just sending out replacements with the same exact issue. Real awesome way to build confidence, MS.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Plugged a Kinect into my console with the coil whine and it helps a bit but doesn't get rid of the issue completely. A firmware update likely won't fix this. Trade in your consoles for new ones people.

plc268

I want to send in my xbox one and get it exchanged, but it completely defeats the purpose if I get one back that exhibits the exact same problem...

Yaranaika

My console is quiet enough, but the power-brick makes a noticeable hissing, even when the console is 'off' in quick-start sleep mode.

Indiedevs

Banned
Im still laughing while looking at the answers Xbox Support on Twitter is providing people. It`s like they aren`t even aware of the problem at all, even though it has been going on for so long, and so many consoles are affected by it.

I was about to buy a kinectless xbone but, after hearing this, i think i'll wait the white model with Sunset Overdrive, which will probably be safe.

Nugg

Read my comment above ... but I have to say comments like this amuse the hell out of me. A problem doesn't have to effect 100% of the people for it to be described as a 'problem'. 999 out of 1000 could explode and that one lucky guy could come to a forum and type:
'Mine is fine.'

Well the first quote of the OP seems to guess that maybe all Xbones are affected. It's not the case.

Yeah, it appears that MS isn't actually repairing the consoles. They're just sending out replacements with the same exact issue. Real awesome way to build confidence, MS.

You're gonna have to provide something to back this up when making a bold claim like this.

Timmay

Banned
You're gonna have to provide something to back this up when making a bold claim like this.

Microsoft's own support forum. Also check out MIcrosoft's own support twitter accounts. These people still don't know there's an actual problem. Or if they do know, they're unwilling to acknowledge it.

Nordic Day One bought from Webhallen.
Date: 2014-06-25
Model: 1540
Lot: 1433X

Started making noise as soon as I accidentally turned it on. Sounds like an old printer mixed with static or something. If it had shut up while using Netflix I might've tolerated it, but I can vaguely hear it underneath everything and it becomes quite noticeable during more silent sections.

I'll be sending this one back to Microsoft at some point. It clearly shouldn't be making this sound.
edit Or maybe I'll tolerate it. It can be heard when watching movies, but it's borderline if it's bothersome enough. Either way I'll be waiting until Microsoft seems capable of actually reliably fixing the issue.

Ugh I really hope this is fixed in the white xbox ones. I've got Destiny sitting here waiting on it as well as the games with gold freebies and I already preordered ACU and the MCC. Preordered the console with a bunch of amazon credit so I hope amazon doesn't drop MS hardware like they did nintendo.

Microsoft's own support forum. Also check out MIcrosoft's own support twitter accounts. These people still don't know there's an actual problem. Or if they do know, they're unwilling to acknowledge it.
Q: Does Microsoft know which lots/models/MFR date do not suffer from this issue? Do you know what the issue is? #XboxNoise

A: We don't have those details, but we do have a repair/exchange process in place for you.
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/511979466374275072
Xbox Support does not seem to know/has not been informed of what the issue is, or what lots are affected. But I guess the implication is that the people handling repairs/exchanges do know? Otherwise there are some slight logical obstacles to Microsoft's ability to repair anything, or for a replacement to be anything more than a crapshoot.

I solved it. Go to change your gamer picture and keep scrolling to the right. As long as the cursor is constantly in movement, it shuts up. At least in my case. You may also have to be in the process of installing Forza 5.

It's making noise in standby mode as well. Guess I'll be shutting off automatic updates and whatnot.

So its best to get the kinect version to avoid this issue then?

No guarantee honestly. There are people with Day one consoles with the same problem, the Kinect just makes it less noticeable.

That said, my friend has a Launch unit with Kinect that is silent with or without Kinect. bought from the same GAME store. YMMV.

Top Bottom