• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Oh man, I'm getting so hyped, fucking heeeeell, I still have 8h of night-shift before going to bed another 7h at least and THEN I'll be able to fucking play this game. It's too much, I might go crazy tonight. I need you guys to stream tonight, help me.

Xeteh

So I unlocked it with a VPN, played for about an hour and went to restart my PC. Game is locked again. RIP fun.

Jesus, make sure you are well aware of where you take cover. Stuff in this game will explode a lot quicker from getting shot than I got used to in Long War.

So I unlocked it with a VPN, played for about an hour and went to restart my PC. Game is locked again. RIP fun.

I did the same thing, but I made sure to disable wifi before opening Steam, and then open Steam in offline mode.

red731

Fuck everything about sectoids.
fuck_off_stormtrooper.gif

That's XCOM, baby!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played a couple hours with the steam controller developer profile. It's ok, let's me comfy couch it but it definitely misses some functionality of the previous game's full controller integration.

That said, I can't believe how much nuanced polish there is in this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For the new page, here's how to unlock the game early via VPN:

Tips and tricks:
(For those outside "zone 1") Unlock the game early: Sign up to VyprVPN's free service and, after connecting to an AU/NZ/Asian server, restart Steam. Due to the 500MB bandwidth limit the free service has, it's best advised to switch to Offline Mode while you wait for the game to unlock in your region since disconnecting from the VPN mid-session will cause your in-game status to cease, which breaks Steamworks functionality as the game is no longer communicating with the client.
Note: Any other instances of Steam must be closed in order for the region switch to take place -- this includes the mobile app as well as the client.

And here's the lowdown on whether or not doing so is safe:

Edit: I should note that, technically, using a VPN at all is, strictly speaking, against the rules but blah blah Valve's never cared about anything other than cross-region purchasing/skirting region-lock methods and yada yada I've unlocked games early myself many times, as have other GAFers, and have more to lose than many other Steam users. Rest assured you've nothing to worry about if all you're doing is unlocking the game early. Valve couldn't care less. 2K/Take-Two couldn't care less. Someone whose very existence depended on caring less couldn't care less.

So lets say I keep VPN connected till tonight to keep my playtime. If it happens to run out on its 500mb limit, will I lose my progress altogether, or just until it really unlocks?

FiraB

Banned
Downloaded Preload via torrent last night because my keys hadn't arrived yet, its gonna take a hour to unlock the entire thing :(

styl3s

GREENM-ANGAME-25PJAN 25% off XCOM 2
I literally just bought it with the 20% coupon now i see there is a 25% off?

This is what i get for not consulting GAF before purchasing *punches wall*. Ah well, i am just excited to play it even though i was terrible at the first x-com.

Hasney

Goddamn, the campaign cutscenes and story is another level compared to the original. I'm hooked all over again.

my way of doing it is

steam offline
connect vpn
steam online
unlock
steam offline >mode<
start game
disconnect vpn

CoolCat.png

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, too. and you could play it while being on vpn. but free vpns have a bandwidth limit.

I was just going to stay strong and wait for the official release.....but maaaaaaaaan that's tempting.

dumbo

I tried out Commander but basically squad wiped on the second tutorial mission...geez. I'm going to start over in Veteran with no tutorial and get more familiar.

That mission is really rather annoying due to the flammability of the area around the target.

Nete

No I meant if it's possible to create a character in the pool then in a separate game to load that specific character in?

For what I've seen, if the game has already started, you are locked with the initial Character Pool you used.

The Pool management on the Main Menu is pretty good and you can keep several different pools abusing the import/export feature (including moving single soldiers), but once you are already in a game the only thing you can do is save characters for future playthroughs.

Maybe a mod will take care of this.

deoee

So I made a few guys in the editor but how do I actually put them into a squad ingame?

I'm just after the first real mission and can't find any buttons for import nor are they in the roster :|

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
From what I have tried they go:

-hard
-fuck you
-FUCK YOU
-No Lube

First goddamn mission had a
sectoid that mind controls and resurrects zombies

Yeah I'm playing on FUCK YOU right now and the sectoids are a nightmare.
I lucked out on my last mission with some bad sectoid AI otherwise I would have lost two soldiers to that fucker.

dakun

anyone know where the save files are located.. for some reason i can't load any savegame. It's telling me the save might be corrupted.

Still demanding. On my 980, 1440p and otherwise maxed out but with FXAA, I'm all over the place. Frequently at 30fps.

Even the fucking main menu's demanding lol. Booted up, greeted by 20fps, 100% GPU usage, because it defaulted to maximum settings. Menu runs at 60fps if I drop shadow quality to medium, turn off AO and set AA to FXAA, with everything else maxed out at 1080p on my 970. Then I started the game, and so far it seems to be running better than the menu. Which is a good thing because medium shadows look pretty bad.

This really needs to be patched to improve performance, at least around the base and such. I haven't noticed much performance issues in the tactical map but everywhere else it chugs, even when I lower the settings a bunch.

Nete

Yeah, performance is bad even with AA and Ambient Occlusion off. Although it's not as bad as those terrible pauses between actions and movements. What causes that?

So I made a few guys in the editor but how do I actually put them into a squad ingame?

I'm just after the first real mission and can't find any buttons for import nor are they in the roster :|

They will appear in the recruitment screen (or as mission rewards, or as VIP's and so). Thing is by default the game mixes random dudes and guys from your character pool, so they may not be there yet.

There's a way to force the game to use your pool duddes, tweaking a couple lines in certain .ini file:

Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config\XComGameData.ini

Search for these lines:

InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed
RewardUnitCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed

You can change those eCPSM_Mixed with:

eCPSM_RandomOnly -> The game will use only random dudes.
eCPSM_PoolOnly -> The game will try to use only Pool duddes. I've done a quick test with just a couple characters in the pool, and seems to create random dudes when needed if there are not enough guys, but I've only played a couple missions.

And I suppose you will need to restart the game :p

Xeteh

For the new page, here's how to unlock the game early via VPN:

And here's the lowdown on whether or not doing so is safe:

I wish I read that before going through it. I exhausted the 500mbs and can't reuse the account.

deoee

NVM I did not see the recruit button the first time... :D

Will we be seeing Nvidia drivers soon? Because TotalBiscuit was right, it does seem very unoptimized from a performance standpoint.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, first impressions.

I am on medium setting, loading times are horrible and frame rate is unstable. Doesn't get in the way of gameplay, but it feels weird. I will have to do some fiddling with settings.

First and only casualty so far is the rookie who took cover next to a burning cara. Oops. In my defense, the car was burning already without it having being shot, which wasn't a thing on EU, so exercise extreme precaution around cars.

I am playing on veteran after all, but it feels too easy. I will try to do this storyline mission that apparently is a bump on difficulty and, if still feels too easy, start over on another difficulty. (I don't like messing with difficulty during the game). Not playing on ironman because the option didn't show, but playing as if it was turned on.

The random soldiers so far feel amazing and unique, I am feeling no need for the character pool at all.

Highest shot missed so far: 84%

Played a couple hours with the steam controller developer profile. It's ok, let's me comfy couch it but it definitely misses some functionality of the previous game's full controller integration.

That said, I can't believe how much nuanced polish there is in this game.

Wait there's no controller support? well that 30GB I just downloaded is completely worthless

Going to have download it again on to my laptop I guess

masterkajo

Played on the higest difficulty on Ironman and am about 3-4 missions in. Only got 2 wounded soldiers so far. Love the feeling of being back in control of saving earth.

dakun

the music
Kreygasm.png

I think it's documents\my games\xcom2\xcomgame\savedata

thank you.. somehow my Windows 10 is fucked ever since i installed it.. even though I'm the only user and admin on my PC some games don't create a game folder under my documents.. so i have to manually create it.

Performance is very all over the place, granted I have everything turned up and am at 3440x1440. I'm on a 980 Ti with an i7-2600k @4.5, 16GB RAM, Win 10. In gameplay I get between 45 and 60, the action shots seem to drop to 30. Have to keep vsync off otherwise the game just locks to 30. FXAA alone uses a decent bit of performance. Dropping ambient occlusion to tiled give me a about 15 fps more.

Echoplx

Man this runs like shit, drops to ~20FPS on High on a 970 anytime there's a close up. Usually ~40FPS in normal gameplay, doesn't even look that good either.

Will F

I program computers all day, generally the last thing I want to do is use a keyboard and mouse to play games in my free time. Since I can't use a normal controller this game turned out to be rather expensive as i'm buying a steam controller with it.

On the plus side, I have all these games like Kerbal Space Program, Civ 5, Pillars of Eternity, Europa Universalis IV - which i've been not playing for the same reason - so maybe it was money well spent.

Watched about an hour of xcom streams today - so excited for this game!

Top Bottom