• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

The recovery time is definitely forcing me to field more than one super squad. You gotta train up a beta and probably even gamma squad as reliable backup.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I've almost lost my game because I havn't done a blacksite mission yet :/

Guess I'll have to be faster in my next game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Not sure if it's been discussed but unless it's a bug, there seems to be a system for severity of wounds that isn't directly related to how much damage a unit takes, but maybe to the type of attack they sustain.

For example, in one mission one of my units got pulled in and constricted for 2 turns, lost 4 health with just 2 health remaining and he has to recover for just 9 days after getting nearly killed.

In that same mission a higher ranking unit got hit by a stun lancer that did 4 damage but he had nanofiber armor and 9 total health, so he lost 3 health. Recovery time is 22 days.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Another reason to hate those stun lancers

Are there any YouTubers playing that aren't steamrolling the game? Like every single one playing are amazing and winning every fight with no injured or dead.

McNum

Well, I found out what happens if you let a UFO hunt the Avenger. You get shot down is what happens. It showed up on the map, then disappeared, and then I suddenly had an Avenger Defense mission to do.

That was fun! I found out something very useful that others might want to know about that, though. When shooting at an object, you don't roll to hit. If another unit can see the target, a Sharpshooter may be able to get a bead on it from across the map.

I'm really Supplies starved at the moment, had a Dark Event that crippled my income for a month. I'm trying to expand towards one of the facilities. If I'm right, taking one of those out is going to set back the Avatar clock with one or more.

peakish

Does over watch not work while in concealment? I had two enemies run right through my group, break my concealment and immediately kill someone.
Overwatch doesn't activate if you're concealed, only if combat starts. This can be either by the enemy noticing you or you initiating it. If the enemy notices you it can stand still and fire without your overwatch activating, though (which feels unfair but is consistent with the move = overwatch rule).

Noaloha

Does over watch not work while in concealment? I had two enemies run right through my group, break my concealment and immediately kill someone.
Overwatch will not trigger in concealment, no. My understanding of your situation is specifically that if an unaware enemy patrols to a spot in which you're flanked (ie. no cover behind which to hide) and within line of site then, uniquely, their 'reaction' in that situation can be either a move or take a shot.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just ran into a bug where a Sectoid made a zombie that prompty fell through the floor, essentially freezing up the game. Save and Exit/reload made it go back into the same frozen state after every single command, even after killing Sectoid.

Hooray.

Vex_

Banned
Confession time: I did an ini edit for squad size.

I got spoiled by long war's 6 man squads

Ive already save scummed. I am not ashamed.

Just ran into a bug where a Sectoid made a zombie that prompty fell through the floor, essentially freezing up the game. Save and Exit/reload made it go back into the same frozen state after every single command, even after killing Sectoid.

Hooray.

You should have auto saves that go back at least 3 turns?

Falk

that puzzling face
You should have auto saves that go back at least 3 turns?

Turned autosave off, I'm honestmanning (...yeah, I didn't think those two facts taken togeher through) and the last save I have is out on the Geoscape.

Restarting anyway. Got a much better grasp of Geoscape meta now.

AHA-Lambda

Just done the first black site mission and finding this harder than the first :/
The game seems really stingy with engineers, I've still only got 1, and have so much shit to construct D:

When do you get the squad size upgrade?

Vex_

Banned
Turned autosave off, I'm honestmanning (...yeah, I didn't think those two facts taken togeher through) and the last save I have is out on the Geoscape.

Restarting anyway. Got a much better grasp of Geoscape meta now.

you cant honestman with a game like this. or you get situations where the game isnt honest with you. Example: the situation you just had.

patapuf

after that disastrous mission i'm just getting by the skin of my teeth. Having to do missions with 3 guys, rookies always dying, my elite soldiers being permanent guests at the infirmary.

I manage for now but i think i am one really bad dice roll away from being fucked.

JambiBum

I don't know why people have so many problems with the timers. I don't find them annoying at all and they add a nice change of pace to the regular missions. I accidentally got a soldier captured one time because I wasn't paying attention to the timer early on and ever since then I haven't had any issues with it.

Also here's a tip to people who are still early on. Build resistance comms as soon as you can. You use them to increase the number of contacts you can have. I focused on some other stuff and didn't build comms early and it almost caused me to lose. Luckily I built them in time and was able to shut down some stations to get the project timer down. I was 3 days away from losing while I was doing the mission to reduce the timer.

Lanrutcon

I don't know why people have so many problems with the timers. I don't find them annoying at all and they add a nice change of pace to the regular missions. I accidentally got a soldier captured one time because I wasn't paying attention to the timer early on and ever since then I haven't had any issues with it.

Also here's a tip to people who are still early on. Build resistance comms as soon as you can. You use them to increase the number of contacts you can have. I focused on some other stuff and didn't build comms early and it almost caused me to lose. Luckily I built them in time and was able to shut down some stations to get the project timer down. I was 3 days away from losing while I was doing the mission to reduce the timer.

Wait till later in the game when the enemies are packing 20 health and layers of armor but you're still expected to finish the mission in 8 turns.

Falk

that puzzling face
you cant honestman with a game like this. or you get situations where the game isnt honest with you. Example: the situation you just had.

Uh, the entire point of honestman is doing ironman but with your own manual backup saves which helps on the exact situation I'm in. ;p

I potentially could have continued my campaign from just prior to this mission, but I'm restarting anyway.

Random17

The strategic layer caught me off guard and the ayys almost completed the Avatar project. I highly recommend going to as many new locations as possible to find these blacksites and neutralize them.

JambiBum

Wait till later in the game when the enemies are packing 20 health and layers of armor but you're still expected to finish the mission in 8 turns.

I'm already in the late game and that hasn't been an issue for me. Even when I'm fighting the giant mechs and the other late game stuff it hasn't bothered me. You just have to adjust your playstyle for whatever mission you are doing.

A tip: You don't have to wait around for the soldier's turn to finish after you've chosen an action. Just switch to your next soldier manually instead of waiting for the game to switch for you. Speeds up the game quite a bit. Still have to wait on those stupid aliens though.

Jintor

Well after all that fretting I finished the EMP mission without losing a single unit, finally got comms up and running, and am now assaulting a landed UFO. Nostalgic! Oh and the Shadow Chamber gives you an estimate for who's on the ship. I'm due for an ENEMY UNKNOWN apparently :(

Purkake4

Banned
The technical stuff is okay-ish for me, just some slowdowns during in-engine cutscenes for whatever reason. I do wish they had ironed out more of the old clunkiness with the annoying pause between finishing turns and selecting something and it being carried out.

Oh and a pretty cool idea for an expansion would be to have an alien XCOM with an elite squad that would be hot on your heels, dropping in when you take too long on a mission with occasional direct attacks. (Unless something like this exists and I haven't gotten there yet).

Random17

A tip: You don't have to wait around for the soldier's turn to finish after you've chosen an action. Just switch to your next soldier manually instead of waiting for the game to switch for you. Speeds up the game quite a bit. Still have to wait on those stupid aliens though.

This is actually improved from EW, where tabbing inbetween soldiers during actions didn't work very well.

Falk

that puzzling face
pHvu4sz.jpg

I mean why not, who's gonna turn down a chance at free shit

I don't know why you don't like "Something I like but you don't", I mean come on, it's so likable, and a great thing to like. I can't believe somebody doesn't like what I like!

patapuf

For VIP's i've started to just ignore all enemies once the vip is freed and evac immediately. You can evac after dashing so usually there's no need to leave anyone behind.

help.

The avatar project has like 4 ticks left.
I attempted it and got smoked. def need to upgrade the squad a bit first.

if it fills, game over?

Mideon

So I have a 91% hit chance I have loaded the game about 15 times and miss every time. How does the game work this out?

Maledict

So I have a 91% hit chance I have loaded the game about 15 times and miss every time. How does the game work this out?

The game seeds the results - reloading doesn't make any difference, because the result of tat roll is already determined. It's deliberate to stop the type of behaviour you are describing, where you can save / load your way to flawless wins every game.

You should be able to change the result by changing the circumstances (e.g have someone else take a shot first, move the soldier etc, but not sure how baked in the results are in advance.

Tacitus_

You get a RNG seed for each turn. If your dude has a 90% chance to hit and misses, he will miss on every reload. To reseed, do a move on some other dude.

DEO3

After my first terror mission, my game now keeps getting stuck on the globe screen. Like if I load my post-terror mission save, I can do other stuff around my base just fine, but as soon as I go to the globe it's just loads the world map and then I'm stuck, there's nothing I can do on the map and I can't back back out, so I just have to alt-F4 the game. I loaded an earlier save but as soon as I'm done with the terror mission, the same thing happens again.

Help?

Top Bottom