• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xeno Crisis: a new game for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive [kickstarter]

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Holy moly, that boss looks incredible! Really makes me sad that I sold almost all my classic systems and games (all in fantastic condition, too) years ago, including my Genesis. :-( I try hard not to think about it.
It's not all bad, Analogue has made a new system called the Mega SG.
It's 2018/19 version of the Genesis that improves on the original Genesis in every way. (except for Sega CD and 32x support but bah who needs those,) It doesn't even use emulation either-the games are running off the original hardware except probably made better
Though i still have worries over the compatibility, can you guys test the game on the Mega SG for us? :D

molasar

Banned
What modes did you unlock ? Maybe you need to have a certain Rank for this to happen ?
I have not yet but it was stated by one of the developers. So I do not know what criteria have to be met.
There are two endings. If you use a continue once you will get a bad one without fighting the final boss.

Last edited:

cireza

I have not yet but it was stated by one of the developers. So I do not know what criteria have to be met.
There are two endings. If you use a continue once you will get a bad one without fighting the final boss.
Ok. So that's what I thought.
This is does not unlock new modes. You simply have two endings and that's it. That's what I understood. I got both endings already.

molasar

Banned
Ok. So that's what I thought.
This is does not unlock new modes. You simply have two endings and that's it. That's what I understood. I got both endings already.
Sorry, I made you confused. There are definitely two more modes. They are called 'Infinite' and 'Boss Rush'.
The one you finished is the Arcade one. Have you finished the game on hard diffficulty with the good ending but without any upgrades?
Also I have read that you can unlock the other modes without finishing the arcade mode.

Last edited:

cireza

Sorry, I made you confused. There are definitely two more modes. They are called 'Infinite' and 'Boss Rush'.
The one you finished is the Arcade one. Have you finished the game on hard diffficulty with the good ending but without any upgrades?
Also I have read that you can unlock the other modes without finishing the arcade mode.
I see. I think I had everything upgraded. I will try again tonight, thanks for the info.

molasar

Banned
I see. I think I had everything upgraded. I will try again tonight, thanks for the info.
A tip for unlocking additional modes is in the credits.
Start 1 or 2 players game while holding <- or ->.

Last edited:

cireza

A tip for unlocking additional modes is in the credits.
Start 1 or 2 players game while holding <- or ->.
Really ? I will check it out.

I managed to make a complete run with the good ending but nothing new appeared on the menu screen.
zrqFUlq.jpg

Edit : OK found it is at the end of the scrolling names, but I skipped it by pressing START lol.

Last edited:
It's not all bad, Analogue has made a new system called the Mega SG.
It's 2018/19 version of the Genesis that improves on the original Genesis in every way. (except for Sega CD and 32x support but bah who needs those,) It doesn't even use emulation either-the games are running off the original hardware except probably made better
Though i still have worries over the compatibility, can you guys test the game on the Mega SG for us? :D

Tried it on my Mega SG yesterday and worked perfectly as far as I can tell. Game's pretty awesome too btw.

molasar

Banned
Really ? I will check it out.

I managed to make a complete run with the good ending but nothing new appeared on the menu screen.
zrqFUlq.jpg
Just hold -> on d-pad and start 1 or 2 players game but that is not all. There is another hidden menu which gives access to seed selection for room sets (otherwise they are chosen randomly in each area) but I do not know how to unlock it yet.

Last edited:

cireza

Just hold -> on d-pad and start 1 or 2 players game but that is not all. There is another hidden menu which gives access to seed selection for room settings (otherwise they are chosen randomly in each area) but I do not know how to unlock it yet.
You have to hold left or right arrow, B and C, and then press START on MegaDrive.

Last edited:
1. Yes, their studio is in UK.
2. Can't say but those who have it (MD/Gen version) are happy about it. Even say that 3 button controller is better.
3. Henk Nieborg is a pixel artist and Catherine Menabde is a story panels artist.

Nice!

Sounds about right, the Six Button way is too confusing given the positioning.

I wasn't sure of their names regarding 3 but good to know for any future projects they get involved in!

kingbean

When can I get the genesis version? Their store still says pre-order with no release date? I'm wanting to plop this game on my everdrive.

molasar

Banned
When can I get the genesis version? Their store still says pre-order with no release date? I'm wanting to plop this game on my everdrive.
Even if it says 'pre-order', you can get it right away. Also if you order a cartridge edition you will get ROM as well.

molasar

Banned
You have to hold left or right arrow, B and C, and then press START on MegaDrive.
Cheat Menu
MD/Gen
Highlight "OPTIONS" on the main menu, then hold RIGHT + B + C, then push start
PC (modern versions)
You can access the menu by putting your cursor on the "OPTIONS" option, holding the left direction, left trigger (ie. grenade), "Y" (ie. shoot up), and menu / start.

cireza

Henk is a legend. His previous project was Shakedown Hawaii and here are screenshots from his next one - unannounced yet:
Henk is incredible. He does not use dithering either which makes his pixel art even more beautiful in my opinion.

Kim Justice review:

Wow. Kim just sold me on this game. The sprite art looks impressive. Music sounds great too. The control shceme sounds OK for a Smash TV clone on the Genesis/ mega Drive... even though there is a version of Smash TV on the system. But listening to the review... it sounds like there is no option to play with two controllers. This is an option that Smash TV has. I would play the Genesis Smash TV with two gamepads. It actually works pretty well. I honestly made a Smash TV pad using some duct tape and a couple Genesis 3-button pads. It was bad, but it worked. Six button is also a solution too. Especially given how easy they are to get now that Retrobit makes a new version of them.

Al;so, interesting that no youtubers (as of the date of that video) have made it past level 4 yet to fully review the game. Sounds hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom