• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Zolbrod

My (modded) Wii died, and so with it died my European Xenoblade. So, I guess I'm picking this up?

If you have a Wii U, Wii mode can still be modded using the same method (the Smash Stack one works at least).

You should still pick this up though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my copy just shipped, also got the promotional code for the menu theme

can't wait to relive this

ZeroX03

Banned
Is this the same theme you get for buying the eshop version or is that a different theme?

Pretty sure it's different.

16968893676_df3e991052_z.jpg

MattyG

Banned
I'm actually considering trying to scrape together the money for a N3DSXL so I can play this and have the C stick for MH4. I've only had my normal XL for a year though, and I have a Wii copy of this that I haven't gotten to yet, but I feel like this is a game I'd want to have on the go.

This may sound like a weird question, but is it actually possible to exit back to the title screen? (Other than pressing the Home button, closing the game and restarting it)

Amandeep

This may sound like a weird question, but is it actually possible to exit back to the title screen? (Other than pressing the Home button, closing the game and restarting it)

Unfortunately the only way to return to the title screen is indeed by pressing the home button and restarting. Wish there was an easier way because I love just staring at it with the music in the background haha

Kaworu

I know that somebody already asked but as far as I know he didn't got an answer, the Japanese version comes with English text?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Xenoblade is so good, I'm going to go buy a New 3DS and buy Xenoblade tonight, despite already putting 120 hours into the Wii version.

If I can get a Shulk amiibo with that, I'll be a happy man.

I don't know if it's more noticeable on New 3DS XL, but I think the game is relatively pretty on the "small" new 3DS.

Not that different from the wii game (somehow less pixelated) , given I played it on a huge screen.

Kattbuss

Sorry if this has been asked before. How do I know which items to sell? I equip everything better than what I have on and sell the rest. But how about materials, is it just vendor junk? I know to add some to the collections screen but is it safe to sell the rest?

CassSept

Oh shit i totally spoilered myself!

I wanted to know who
Fioras
voice actor is, checked a wiki and saw
a picture of her as a mechon

:(

Honestly, while I played I saw lots of spoilery bits and pieces. In some cases it allowed me to put together some plot elements that are teased earlier in the story, but most of the time they weren't enough to spoil the whole plot. It's a long, several dozen of hours long story.

It's tropey and gets ridiculous at times, but I the end wouldn't really call it predictable.

random25

Sorry if this has been asked before. How do I know which items to sell? I equip everything better than what I have on and sell the rest. But how about materials, is it just vendor junk? I know to add some to the collections screen but is it safe to sell the rest?

Sell materials that you won't need for quests. Quest items will be marked by a "!" Icon so you avoid selling them.

Mory Dunz

Advice:

Accept every sidequest you come across. Don't go out of your way to complete any of them. Just complete whatever comes naturally through exploration and the main story. That's enough EXP and rewards to keep you ahead of the curve.

This.

I stopped purposely trying to do quests while still in the first town.
Play the game in the way that brings the most enjoyment....because that's the point.

TheMoon

I just wanna say, this thread title is amazing. Well done

It's just so well done.

Oh you guys, stop it :D

Thanks!

Nope. If you want to load a different save, you need to select load from the menu next to the save option.

Quest-related items will have a symbol (an !, I believe) next to them. Keep those, obviously. Though later you will need materials for a certain reconstruction quest. Best not sell anything until you run out of space (you can safely sell all the junk from around Colony 9, though)

XaosWolf

Wow. First time at Gaur Plains is really amazing. Even on the small N3DS XL screen.

Yep! I just got there too. Love the music and the starry sky at night time.

YqEpdh3.jpg

zenbsyV.jpg

O79cSVH.jpg

dwXgifX.jpg

I'm actually quite impressed by the amount of grass rendered. Its poorly textured, sure, but I'm still surprised its there at all. (Same with the Wii version and Sonic Colours' Planet Wisp)

In fact the only graphical thing that's annoying me is the weird blocky transparency on Shulk's hair. =/

Zing

Banned
Note that special materials are marked with a little starburst/sparkle. I'd keep those. This is mentioned in one of the tutorial screens.

Honestly, you have so much bag space and so little need for cash, just keep everything unless you are desperate.

JimPanzer

Ok 12 hours in and I think I'm getting it now, last 3 hours of exploring the swamp area have been a blast! Also combat is getting a lot more exciting and challenging. Game redeemed.

Also, the thread title is amazing, I chuckle everytime the line comes up in combat.

Fandangox

Ok 12 hours in and I think I'm getting it now, last 3 hours of exploring the swamp area have been a blast! Also combat is getting a lot more exciting and challenging. Game redeemed.

Also, the thread title is amazing, I chuckle everytime the line comes up in combat.

To be honest I wasn't expecting you to like it, usually if people dislike the game by Gaurr Plain they rarely change their opinion about it, glad to see you are enjoying it though.

Combat opens up a lot more as you get more party members and you start crafting the gems, I recommend switching leads often to see which character you like and what combinations you like.
Plus each character party combination has a unique conversation that may be randomly triggered at the end of a fight, they are usually very funny)

LAA

I noticed that all the xenoblade themes weren't on the theme store either... Though I think the meconis theme available is perhaps the best for me, but would have liked the others too, sucks they're making the theme bonuses digital only or only at game, both things I'm not doing.

From what I played of the game so far though, it's great, at least graphically. Seems pretty on par with the Wii version really. I think only the hair on shulk for example you can tell it's just hair texture with alpha for some rectangles, but the alpha doesn't work fully on the outline it seems. I can't remember seeing that on wii version. That other than some lower res textures and the grass being 2D (not sure if this was in the Wii version either) looks great. Was worried about it graphics wise but it seems perfectly fine so far

I still can't wrap my head around how fighting works in this game, will I select a skill then wait for it to start and position myself while it does? Then wait for a time period until I can again? I am guessing stringing types of skills together will generate different effects, is it all physical or is there a magical element anywhere?

JimPanzer

To be honest I wasn't expecting you to like it, usually if people dislike the game by Gaurr Plain they rarely change their opinion about it, glad to see you are enjoying it though.

Combat opens up a lot more as you get more party members and you start crafting the gems, I recommend switching leads often to see which character you like and what combinations you like.
Plus each character party combination has a unique conversation that may be randomly triggered at the end of a fight, they are usually very funny)

I think my main problem was that I approached the game in the wrong way. Chasing around for an hour looking for some subquest monster which in the end only gives you some money as a reward is no fun at all.
Now I'm just accepting every quest and then explore the whole map. If I happen to have some quests open after that I just don't bother and move on with the story. Trying to be completionist with this game can take a lot of fun out of it.

I noticed that all the xenoblade themes weren't on the theme store either... Though I think the meconis theme available is perhaps the best for me, but would have liked the others too, sucks they're making the theme bonuses digital only or only at game, both things I'm not doing.

From what I played of the game so far though, it's great, at least graphically. Seems pretty on par with the Wii version really. I think only the hair on shulk for example you can tell it's just hair texture with alpha for some rectangles, but the alpha doesn't work fully on the outline it seems. I can't remember seeing that on wii version. That other than some lower res textures and the grass being 2D (not sure if this was in the Wii version either) looks great. Was worried about it graphics wise but it seems perfectly fine so far
Yeah, enjoying it. Going to try two pay attention to sidequests. Ignored them and the Bionis kicked my butt.
Sad the theme bonus is not for Australia...

BlakeofT

I've read that some players are having issues with the text, claiming that it's blurry at times. Is anyone here having this problem?

Purdy

Did anyone here order from Nintendo UK, the package with the faceplates included?

I'm out of these house for a few days and it says delivered by my Hermes, I'm wondering was the box small enough to go through the letter box or have they left it out in the rain? It's been pishing down here recently, seriously hope it isn't there and damaged

Fandangox

I think my main problem was that I approached the game in the wrong way. Chasing around for an hour looking for some subquest monster which in the end only gives you some money as a reward is no fun at all.
Now I'm just accepting every quest and then explore the whole map. If I happen to have some quests open after that I just don't bother and move on with the story. Trying to be completionist with this game can take a lot of fun out of it.

Yeah definitely, I didn't bother with going out of my way to complete most sidequests the first time around, I left that for a second playthrough.

TheMoon

I still can't wrap my head around how fighting works in this game, will I select a skill then wait for it to start and position myself while it does? Then wait for a time period until I can again? I am guessing stringing types of skills together will generate different effects, is it all physical or is there a magical element anywhere?

initiate combat
characters perform auto-attacks
player selects an Art from the menu
Art is executed
executed Art begins cooldown
player either continues auto-attacks or selects another Art
etc

Meanwhile, the chain-attack meter builds up. If you want to use it is up to you. During chain attacks, the battle is paused and you can string Arts between you and your two party members together.
During the battle, your party members might shout out something, triggering a B-button prompt which increases "tension" and essentially gives you a buff.

Positioning affects some Arts. Like "back slash," which is obviously more effective if performed from behind the enemy target. You can freely walk around the whole time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The character uses the art immediately when you select it, so you need to position yourself first. Some of them do have some start-up animation though (Shulk's Shaker Edge is really bad about this).

Then you wait for the cooldown period, which varies between attacks. When you go to your art menu where you can level them up, it shows the details about what it does and how long the cooldown is.

The colors indicate what type it is.

Red is physical
Blue is ether/magic (support)
Purple is ether/magic (offense/debuff)
Orange is an aura
Pink is a break art
Green is a topple art
Yellow is a daze art

- Sometimes when you select the skill it will freeze you in place (it depends on the skill). I would position yourself first and then select since the animation usually only takes about a second at most. Also, the enemies in this game aren't really mobile, they won't be actively dodging you if you position yourself a certain way (since for the most part position doesn't matter to evasion, only for location-specific attacks).

- Yes, after using the skill (known as an Art) there will be a period where you can't use it. If you look at the details in your arts list, this is known as the cooldown period.

- Stringing types of skills together doesn't matter as much outside of chain attacks. That said, there are specific skills that do benefit from chains on a case by case basis. For example, after a break skill, someone can use a topple skill to knock over an enemy. Someone could then use a daze skill to add more time the enemy is stunned. More character specific, there are characters that have arts which benefit from doing them in order. In summary, chaining skills is usually a case by case basis and not tied to the art type, but is detailed in the art description.

- The exception to this is chain attacks in which you choose arts for your party members. Here, the type of arts being chained do matter, and you get bonus damage from linking as many similar color types as possible. I would usually start chain attacks with break topple and daze, then proceed to link as many red arts as possible.

TheMoon

The colors indicate what type it is.

Red is physical
Blue is ether/magic (support)
Purple is ether/magic (offense/debuff)
Orange is an aura
Pink is a break art
Green is a topple art
Yellow is a daze art

And you can stack effects. Like, if one of your party members executes a BREAK art, your other party members (or you) executes a TOPPLE art after that, the enemy falls over and is stunned. I don't remember right now but I think you can follow that up with DAZE, too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And you can stack effects. Like, if one of your party members executes a BREAK art, your other party members (or you) executes a TOPPLE art after that, the enemy falls over and is stunned. I don't remember right now but I think you can follow that up with DAZE, too.

Daze typically has to follow Topple, there is only one exception and it's a really awkward attack. Topple usually follows Break, but there are a number of exceptions to that.

You can also stack topple and daze on top of each other. That is, topple a toppled enemy and it will extend the duration, you don't have to wait for the enemy to get back up. So if you know what you're doing, you can take advantage of this and set up topple locks (no real spoilers in the video, but related videos have spoilers), preventing enemies from ever getting up. Oddly, Starlight Kick is the only Topple art that doesn't stack with the others unless they fixed that in this version.

ilium

My plan for today was to play xenoblade until i pass out, but turns out i gotta work tonight.

Fuck nightlife i wanna play :(

Top Bottom