• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

lewisgone

Yeah, I've put a couple hundred hours into it on Dolphin and wouldn't have even bought a HD version unless there were some enhancements and not just higher resolution.

I am surprised to see that a number of people like this on a portable though, gameplay-wise. It doesn't really strike me as something that is very playable in short bursts since progress takes time and it has so many long cutscenes (or strings of cutscenes in quick succession), maybe if the sidequests weren't so terrible those would be good for it.

I'm so sorry my desperate plea for a non-portable version of Xenoblade completely derailed this thread for pages on-end.

But seriously. It's a comment on a screenshot. Let's not tell people they can't post their opinions?

When you can pause a game at any time by closing your system, how playable the game is in short bursts isn't really an issue. You can also save anywhere. Personally, I've found the portability great so far. I've gotten to the Nopon colony already because I can open my 3DS and play for a bit whenever I feel like it, instead of sitting down at the TV and dedicating myself to playing. When the sidequests can be pretty monotonous, I can get burnt out quickly and taking a break is easy on a portable console.

Perhaps I could understand HD remaster requests more if the Wii U wasn't getting Xenoblade X this year.

Do remember that many screenshots posted as "Xenoblade Wii" are actually from Dolphin. When played on Wii Xenoblade is a blurry, pixelated mess. A beautiful blurry, pixelated mess, but still.
Yep, indeed.
even if 3d is crappy, is it worth having it on?

the way the system renders fonts, i tend to find it easier to read most game's text in 3d instead of 2d
I honestly do not think so. It makes thing blurry.

Edit: Ha ha Swimming Trunks gives better stats than default clothes.

As a first time player who just managed to perform his first chain attack, damn, I'm really feeling it when you bump up that chain meter and get several additional attacks in by timely pressing the B button. Having seen gameplay footage before doesn't really capture this feeling.

Just got to A Legion of Spiders!
Had to Google it...
tumblr_mj418lQ6mD1qgddhho1_500.jpg

ramyeon

Up to the Satorl Marsh area now.
I remember when I first played this I went in almost completely blind and it was so damn awesome having Dunban join your permanent party. It was something I had wished would happen from the beginning of the game but never imagined would, the whole Ether Mine conclusion is just a bunch of awesome set pieces one after another followed by the amazing area that is the Satorl Marsh.

Pachimari

I have no wished for this game for my birthday. I really hope it is worth it. I have never played it but always wanted to, and I need an RPG for my New 3DS.

Are there any major complaints? Long loading times? Hard controls? Anything like it?

Overside

Banned
I have no wished for this game for my birthday. I really hope it is worth it. I have never played it but always wanted to, and I need an RPG for my New 3DS.

nAre there any major complaints? Long loading metimes? Hard controls? Anything like it?

There pretty much are no loading times.

Theres a breif couple second load screen when starting, and when switching/teleporting between the different massive areas.

Controls are pretty easy.

Probably the biggest complaint is from people forcing themselves to complete every little quest from no name characters. I suggest you load up on all the quests from no names you can, and then forget about them, and explore and do what you want. You will end up completing more than enough quests for xp and area affinity/fame without even trying.

You dont have to categorically finish every quest you obtain.

MattyG

Banned
So I just bought MH4 and I really want this... but I have an original XL. I just bought it a year ago, but I'mseriously considering upgrading. Those of you who hav3 played this, would you say it's worth the $200 to be able to play XC3D and have C-stick controls in MM3D and MH4?

Rich!

So I just bought MH4 and I really want this... but I have an original XL. I just bought it a year ago, but I'mseriously considering upgrading. Those of you who hav3 played this, would you say it's worth the $200 to be able to play XC3D and have C-stick controls in MM3D and MH4?

Its worth the upgrade for the improved 3D alone.

I'm gonna say yes. My little ambassador N3DS is beautiful and I've been back playing 3DS games - where my interest in the original system had faded quite a bit.

If you want Monster Hunter and this and the best 3DS going forward, it's almost a no brainer.

Gears

Im super excited for the game, especially as I have no clue how the combat works since ive been looking the other way whenever i see the game. is the combat fairly complex?

deoee

Sell your XL and get yourself a new one <3

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I am surprised to see that a number of people like this on a portable though, gameplay-wise. It doesn't really strike me as something that is very playable in short bursts since progress takes time and it has so many long cutscenes (or strings of cutscenes in quick succession), maybe if the sidequests weren't so terrible those would be good for it.

Portable gaming doesn't have to just be short bursts though. I'll play for longer stretches when I'm watching some sporting event I'm only half interested in (can suspend if the game gets good late etc.) or sitting with my fiance while she's watching her shows, when traveling etc.

random25

Im super excited for the game, especially as I have no clue how the combat works since ive been looking the other way whenever i see the game. is the combat fairly complex?

It's not really that complex. You just need to get a hang of it several times to get familiarized to the mechanics. Tutorials in this game are really helpful for starters as they are not too long and they are easy to understand, especially for learning how each character plays.

TDLink

Yes. It doesn't only add C-stick controls to MM3D and MH4. It also upgrades the textures in MH4, makes the entire system run and load faster, and allows you to play Xenoblade.

Oh and it makes 3D usable in SMT4/Any Atlus game with poor implementation of 3D.

On any other 3DS? Enjoy all the 3D ghosting no matter what angle you try to view it from. Really, get yourself an n3DS.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

You plan on keeping the XL? If you sell it, you can probably get around ~$100 (or less) for it, then use that cash to buy a nXL.

New XL $200 + $10 charger + $10 bigger memory card + $8 tax = $228 - XL sold $100 = $128.

So you're talking about, is it worth ~$130 to upgrade to the new system? I think it's probably worth it. I love my New XL, and I play A LOT of 3DS so having the improved 3D is worth it to me.

But if you want to be smart you should try your local Craigslist for a USED New XL. I was able to buy one used, but like-new, with a charger for $150. So that made my upgrade cost signifcantly cheaper. I'm a huge fan of the 3DS, I think it's worth the upgrade price after owning one for about a week. I started Majoras Mask on an XL, and I was enjoying it, but it's even better on a New XL. If you consider yourself a big fan of the 3DS, then I'd say it's worth it. If 3DS isn't your primary console of choice - then you can live without it.

Velcro Fly

Oh yeah themes available April 9 in NA!

I never care for stuff like this but they look gorgeous.

edit: I'm apparently way late but who cares! Themes! :D

MattyG

Banned

I'm gonna say yes. My little ambassador N3DS is beautiful and I've been back playing 3DS games - where my interest in the original system had faded quite a bit.

If you want Monster Hunter and this and the best 3DS going forward, it's almost a no brainer.

Sell your XL and get yourself a new one <3

Yes. It doesn't only add C-stick controls to MM3D and MH4. It also upgrades the textures in MH4, makes the entire system run and load faster, and allows you to play Xenoblade.

You plan on keeping the XL? If you sell it, you can probably get around ~$100 (or less) for it, then use that cash to buy a nXL.

New XL $200 + $10 charger + $10 bigger memory card + $8 tax = $228 - XL sold $100 = $128.

So you're talking about, is it worth ~$130 to upgrade to the new system? I think it's probably worth it. I love my New XL, and I play A LOT of 3DS so having the improved 3D is worth it to me.

But if you want to be smart you should try your local Craigslist for a USED New XL. I was able to buy one used, but like-new, with a charger for $150. So that made my upgrade cost signifcantly cheaper. I'm a huge fan of the 3DS, I think it's worth the upgrade price after owning one for about a week. I started Majoras Mask on an XL, and I was enjoying it, but it's even better on a New XL. If you consider yourself a big fan of the 3DS, then I'd say it's worth it. If 3DS isn't your primary console of choice - then you can live without it.
Looks like I'll be getting one then, thanks for the advice! Completely forgot about the upgraded 3D. I've always had issues with the sweet spot, but I used my brother's and it's perfect.

Might sell my XL, might just keep it because it was kind of a birthday gift. Haven't decided yet. Can't wait to play Xenoblade finally though. Hopefully we get some more cool exclusives announced at E3.

Scoops

Banned
Never played one second or even seen any gameplay of this game, so this will be my first time going through. Completely blind, so I'm sure it'll be interesting lol

I don't know I stayed away for so long, but I only saw the debut trailer for this 3DS version and I was half paying attention.

You're in for a real treat

Corgi

Banned
hmmm is reyn actually worth playing as? For some reason as someone that play tanks in mmos, never tried reyn before lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mulling over more UM-only run details.

I think I'll skip Lakebed Orthlus. Fighting this UM would require quite a few quests to be done just to unlock the quest to fight him since I'd need to do the two prerequisite quests and raise affinity in that area. Lot of time, work, and extra stuff I'd rather not do on this playthrough for a single enemy.

I probably will do the Balance of Power sidequest though, since it features two unique monsters, has a great reward, and only has two prerequisite quests. One of them includes killing four normal enemies, but all things considered I don't think it's too severe an exception.

Also considering post-game. Mainly, whether or not I even want to do it, because it would basically mean dedicating myself to going all the way up to Abaasy. There are two UMs I know I would have to skip at this point, both require raising affinity in an area substantially and are at the end of long quest chains.

I think everything else should be doable maintaining a UM-only and minimal quest mindset, but I'd still end up needing to grind for gems and probably art books from a few different UMs. Kind of wonder if it's worth it if I have to grind.

random25

hmmm is reyn actually worth playing as? For some reason as someone that play tanks in mmos, never tried reyn before lol

He's pretty fun to play as he can wipe out enemies easily early on with his damage output plus his godlike durability.

It should be noted that you don't need a dedicated healer to succeed in battles.

Before I stopped my second playthrough I was playing with a party of Shulk, Reyn and 4th character spoiler
Dunban

depward

Can I buy a North American download code right now? What would happen if I tried to redeem it in the eShop?

Much like pre-ordering digitally, typically you can input the download code and pre-load the game and - come midnight EST on release day - you download a software update that unlocks the game.

I don't think you can get an actual download code download code, unless it's like a code a reviewer might be selling..?

ramyeon

Makna Forest spoilers.

So Melia just joined for the first time, never really used her in my first playthrough but since then I've heard she can be pretty OP if used in the right way. My party of Dunban, Reyn, Shulk is working so well though! Kinda torn on whether to start using her from the get-go or leave it until later on.

Makna Forest spoilers.

So Melia just joined for the first time, never really used her in my first playthrough but since then I've heard she can be pretty OP if used in the right way. My party of Dunban, Reyn, Shulk is working so well though! Kinda torn on whether to start using her from the get-go or leave it until later on.

Usually when I got someone new I'd either go off and do some side-quests with them in the lead or do it at the next hub. Gives a chance to get a feel for them and learn how they work while knocking over some quests.

Loved the Wii version enough to pick this up. Haven't started playing yet, but I think I'll be back into it before long.

magnetic

The thick british accents really add a lot of character that other JRPG dubs don't have. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying that detail!

And it really suits the portable style very well, with the instant fast travel, being able to initiate battles on my own and save everywhere features.

I'm not even that much into JRPGs anymore, but I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this a lot. It's the perfect "zone out on the couch" game for me. I mostly bought this out of curiosity, I never played a game with such a large world before - it's a really charming game so far!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really tempted by this game, which I missed on Wii. The only problem is that I don't know if I should play it on my brand new New 3DS or search for a Wii copy.

jorgejjvr

The thick british accents really add a lot of character that other JRPG dubs don't have. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying that detail!

And it really suits the portable style very well, with the instant fast travel, being able to initiate battles on my own and save everywhere features.

I'm not even that much into JRPGs anymore, but I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this a lot. It's the perfect "zone out on the couch" game for me. I mostly bought this out of curiosity, I never played a game with such a large world before - it's a really charming game so far!
I bought this game on Wii out of curiosity as well. You are in for a treat my friend. Soon enough you'll realize you are playing a masterpiece. Can't wait to see yours and other newcomers reactions

Parshias7

Makna Forest spoilers.

One note: if you want to use Melia, make absolutely sure that you're the one controlling her. Melia is the one character in the game the AI is absolutely terrible at controlling itself.

Melia really comes into her own after the Tomb, as she should have learned Summon Copy and you can find a skill book to fully uncap her Summon Bolt skill in there. Try to find or craft a gem that boosts your electric damage and you're good to go.

TheMoon

Makna Forest spoilers.

She's my topple queen. Love her.

jorgejjvr

I find it funny how I've already beaten the game once, so there's nothing to spoil me, but I'm still not reading spoilers since it's been awhile since I last played the game

MAN WHATABUNCHOF JOKAHS!

just got the game it's so so good

i was uncertain about buying it at first due to possible frame rate issues but everything runs really well

graphics don't take too much of a hit, it's still really enjoyable just like the wii version

MAN WHATABUNCHOF JOKAHS!

just got the game it's so so good

i was uncertain about buying it at first due to possible frame rate issues but everything runs really well

graphics don't take too much of a hit, it's still really enjoyable just like the wii version
Yeah, I was curious about the frame rate issues. I guess it is just in heavy traffic areas because I had none. I had 15 FPS in Majora's Mask 3D which made me cringe (since it was a remake).

Overall this version is very solid if you want to get into the game.

ramyeon

One note: if you want to use Melia, make absolutely sure that you're the one controlling her. Melia is the one character in the game the AI is absolutely terrible at controlling itself.

Melia really comes into her own after the Tomb, as she should have learned Summon Copy and you can find a skill book to fully uncap her Summon Bolt skill in there. Try to find or craft a gem that boosts your electric damage and you're good to go.
Oh yeah, I'd be controlling her for sure.
I guess I'm just having too much fun with my Dunban led team with Reyn and Shulk. There are just too many characters in this game haha. I remember on my last playthrough I just ended up neglecting anyone who wasn't in my core party. Riki in particular got the short end of the stick.

Rich!

Yeah, I was curious about the frame rate issues. I guess it is just in heavy traffic areas because I had none. I had 15 FPS in Majora's Mask 3D which made me cringe (since it was a remake).

Overall this version is very solid if you want to get into the game.

Actually, Majoras Mask 3D, just like OOT3D, is an enhanced port. It is still the base N64 code, despite the amount of additions and alterations on top.

Rich!

This is the perfect time for an avatar quote :D

?

A remake would be something like Metroid Zero Mission, remade from the ground up. Majoras Mask 3D and OOT3D are enhanced ports. The games are built upon the N64 versions, which is why the same glitches exist and why even 64DD beta elements remain in the ROM. Not really any debate here.

Ragus

Banned
So, focusing on main quest and doing side quests only when they are in front of my face is the best way to enjoy playing Xenoblade?

Top Bottom