• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, gets an official rating in Australia

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looking forward to see footage from a near finished build.

DJIzana

Well they always said it would. I'm not sure the reason everyone doubted this game specifically.

Maybe it's just doubting Nintendo's (and the rest of the gaming industry's) word in general. Delays are plentiful in the gaming industry and, in a lot of cases, for the better (for quality reasons).

ryanofcall

Switch Year 1 is pretty much the best console release year ever. At least as far as I remember.

edit: also it sais "Consumer Advice Mature themes and violence, online interactivity" in the rating.
but then again it also says "Multi Platform" how truthfull is that usually being filled out?

Tamanator

Switch Year 1 is pretty much the best console release year ever. At least as far as I remember.

edit: also it sais "Consumer Advice Mature themes and violence, online interactivity" in the rating.
but then again it also says "Multi Platform" how truthfull is that usually being filled out?

Just the generic description for video games for that rating.

beril

Never understood why people were so sure that this particular game wouldn't be out this year. Sure the first XB, and XBX were both delayed, but neither of those were announced with a planned release date the same year. Obviously the development was further along at the time of the announcement this time, and with that less uncertainty remains about the development schedule

ggx2ac

The real news is that it says in the link the game has online interactivity.

What kind of online features are we talking here?

DJIzana

Never understood why people were so sure that this particular game wouldn't be out this year. Sure the first XB, and XBX were both delayed, but neither of those were announced with a planned release date the same year. Obviously the development was further along at the time of the announcement this time, and with that less uncertainty remains about the development schedule

See my post above.

For some reason... I'm still not feeling as hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as I am with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Maybe it's just that we haven't seen as much still or no exploration trailer yet / not heard as much music yet but yeah. Could be the characters too. Too much I need to see / know more of for a game still releasing this year.

Still hope we get a sequel to XCX eventually...

I think it's just that compared to the gap between the first game and X, this feels like it's releasing really, really soon. I don't think anybody expected the game to be announced (or even teased) this year, let alone released!

Maybe it's just doubting Nintendo's (and the rest of the gaming industry's) word in general. Delays are plentiful in the gaming industry and, in a lot of cases, for the better (for quality reasons).

Nintendo really doesn't delay games nearly as much as people think. Zelda games are the obvious exception here, and XCX was too. Outside of that I'm having trouble thinking of any games of theirs over the past 5 or so years which have been delayed after having a release window.

Nintendo are no stranger to really last-minute delays. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Smash Bros. Brawl were December releases that got delayed in October. Star Fox Zero got a hard November date in August and was delayed less than a month afterward. Even most recently from other companies, Ni no Kuni II and Crackdown 3 got bumped despite just getting hard dates at E3.

I think they can pull it off but I don't blame people for being cautious considering delays have become such a fact of life.

I forgot about Tropical Freeze, though I think we heard it was still finished before December, so it was probably pushed for strategic reasons rather than a development delay. Star Fox Zero is definitely a good call.

Nintendo are no stranger to really last-minute delays. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Smash Bros. Brawl were December releases that got delayed in October. Star Fox Zero got a hard November date in August and was delayed less than a month afterward. Even most recently from other companies, Ni no Kuni II and Crackdown 3 got bumped despite just getting hard dates at E3.

I think they can pull it off but I don't blame people for being cautious considering delays have become such a fact of life.

beril

No it's definitely something unique to this game. Every thread about it since the announcement has been filled with people saying that the release date is bullshit and that it'll definitely be delayed. You don't see that for most games, except for studios that has really earned that reputation like Square Enix with games like FFXV, 7R and KH3, but I don't see how that applies to Monolith Soft, none of their games has suffered from that long delays. The main issue with the series has been that the localisation has been slow, something that Nintendo has gotten a lot better with lately.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
See my post above.

For some reason... I'm still not feeling as hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as I am with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Maybe it's just that we haven't seen as much still or no exploration trailer yet / not heard as much music yet but yeah. Could be the characters too. Too much I need to see / know more of for a game still releasing this year.

Try out the OST
they covered it a lot even releasing official tracks on their sites

Take a look at the treehouse coverage for more exploration and combat footage too

JB2448

The real news is that it says in the link the game has online interactivity.

What kind of online features are we talking here?
Online interactivity is also listed in the Australian rating for Xenoblade 3D, so don't give it too much thought.

should i play the first XC on wii still before this one?
Both games are unrelated as far as we know

NoA also delayed Yoshi's Woolly World by a few months later than everyone else for no logical reason

See my post above.

I thought the battle/weapon system they showed off at E3 looked really interesting, and I actually like the art style. As much as I love both XC and XCX, this one seems to take good parts from both and combine them into something new.

Pokemaniac

No it's definitely something unique to this game. Every thread about it since the announcement has been filled with people saying that the release date is bullshit and that it'll definitely be delayed. You don't see that for most games, except for studios that has really earned that reputation like Square Enix with games like FFXV, 7R and KH3, but I don't see how that applies to Monolith Soft, none of their games has suffered from that long delays. The main issue with the series has been that the localisation has been slow, something that Nintendo has gotten a lot better with lately.

I think the main factors making this seem uncertain would be that:

1) This game at least feels like it's releasing unusually soon after the last one.

2) This is a series with a history of delays.

3) This is a series with a history of large localization gaps.

That third one is the big one, I think. Since, at least with me, the doubt was never really about the Japanese release date, but the American one.

DJIzana

Try out the OST
they covered it a lot even releasing official tracks on their sites

Take a look at the treehouse coverage for more exploration and combat footage too

Ah right... yeah, I've listened to the sampled songs from the site.

As for exploration, I've watched all the footage we've seen for the game. I'm more referring to seeing some more fantastical points of interest or new zones. We've seen the main forest area, the night time forest looking place (which could even be the same place, who knows), the snow area a desolate rock area but only brief snippets. I'm hoping to get something more along the lines of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpNXhzscjQ

I dunno how many more times we need proof that this is releasing this year.

The game will be on store shelves and some people will still be convinced the game will be delayed to next year.

I think the main reason people doubted 2017 from the beginning was because back when this was announced at the January event, they didn't make it clear it was a 2017 game. We only found out because people scanned Nintendo's website and saw that. It was so low-key that it probably fudged with people's expectations.

Even though it makes sense, rationally, development time would be shorter now that X has got Monolith up to speed with HD development, it was probably that combined with the lengthy gap between 1 and X that made people doubtful. It's pretty clear though, the game is definitely on track to be content-complete by the end of the year. If it ever got delayed, it wouldn't be any more than a bump to Q1 for final polish or scheduling.

Wonder if this would mean a Direct soon, in order to announce the release date.

We're definitely due for a Direct either end of this month or beginning of September so Nintendo can finalize their fall plans.

Wonder if this would mean a Direct soon, in order to announce the release date.
I don't think they're doing one until September. Knownjng Nintendo they'll just drop a trailer on YouTube for the game with the release date or next week at Gamescom they could announce the release date.

I'm currently going for 100% on BotW, I feel like I'm going to finish JUST as XC2 releases

"Yay! I finally beat this long game, now I can play some of these smaller games!"
"Here's Xenoblade 2"
"Aww man.."

Comparison of Xenoblade series ratings:

MxxdX9G.png

BN9yIJp.png

NQk4ZPZ.png

I find it weird that both Xenoblade 3D and Xenoblade X have Fantasy Violence under Consumer Advice while Xenoblade 2 has Mature Themes and Violence written because the actual individual ratings for X and 2 are identical with 1 have quite lower individual ratings. Also if anything Xenoblade 2 is more fantastical violence compared to Xenoblade X with had guns as standard weaponry. I would chalk it up to them maybe using different terminology for the rating descriptions 2 years later.

The odd comma in the thread title reminds me of those Half-Life 3 joke threads.

"Xenoblade Chronicles, 2 officially rated in Australia"

Top Bottom