• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 previews

Dead

well not really...yet
The only problem I have with Xenoblade 2 art is the gear of the main dude which shouldn't be problem since it will be change in the first hour.

so far there hasnt been anything to indicate theres visual armor changes :/

Skipped through the video and man, that looks pretty underwhelming visually.

Looks like a PS2 game, and not an impressive one at that.

The videoquality ist shit. The same goes for the Mario Odyssey and Fifa TGS streams. Nintendo failed with this videos. If you want i show you the Mario Odyssey Stream and the same level in a better quality video. No one should judge the games graphics on the stream-vid.

But the PS2 part ist unnecessary even with that bad quality of the video

HeeHo

I don't particularly love the main character design or any Riki-type of characters, but it's not the end of the world for me. The novelty of playing a big game like this on the Switch is pretty cool, plus I really dig the exploration and combat still. Odds are it is going to be pretty good, I think.

Heroman

Banned
It Werid how people she it looks like a shit anime game when it looks better than like 99 anime stlye graphics games out there.

diaspora

Looks really good, (still smells to Wii U port) just what I expect from a sequel, not that Xenoblade X...
But framerate needs lot of work and combat HUD is horrible.

Seriously...
iilNeyJ.png
Monolith needs an intervention.

I don't particularly love the main character design or any Riki-type of characters, but it's not the end of the world for me. The novelty of playing a big game like this on the Switch is pretty cool, plus I really dig the exploration and combat still. Odds are it is going to be pretty good, I think.

Well if it comes after Xenoblade 1 it could be one of the best J-RPGS of this gen.

But that's got to be pretty rare because, after all, Xenoblade is a niche JRPG series.

I don't think it's that's niche. It's no Final Fantasy or Pokemon, but it's not Lost Odyssey or Tales, either. I think the majority of people will be JRPG enthusiasts, but there will be a decent subset of Nintendo fans, as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean, it's not going to stop me from getting the game or anything, but Pyra's micro-mini skirt+visible thong combo in particular is just so damn tacky and unnecessary.
I don't know why you guys keep seeing a miniskirt when its obviously short shorts and your not seeing a thong but its actually part of the shorts itself

It Werid how people she it looks like a shit anime game when it looks better than like 99 anime stlye graphics games out there.

They probably don't like that the maincharacter looks young (though he isn't as young as he looks). They should just wait if the story is good and the characters are well written.

But people here just love to complain i guess.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't think it's that's niche. It's no Final Fantasy or Pokemon, but it's not Lost Odyssey or Tales, either. I think the majority of people will be JRPG enthusiasts, but there will be a decent subset of Nintendo fans, as well.

Tales of sells more worldwide, almost certainly, than Xenoblade, given how late in the Wii gen Xenoblade released in the west, and how niche the Wii U itself was.

Gardios

I don't know why you guys keep seeing a miniskirt when its obviously short shorts and your not seeing a thong but its actually part of the shorts itself

I stand corrected.

But the end of the day, her ass is still desperately trying to escape her outfit so I'm not sure what that actually changes

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
The story wasn't shit in X? You mean the repeating cooking scene was such amazing story? Lol

These scenes were just slice-of-life moments and had nothing to do with the main story. You can hate them all day long, just don't pretend they are somehow representatives of the game's story.

We can't have a thread about anything Monolith without shitting on X, can we?

I've given up.

Also XCX rubbed me the wrong way right from the get go with having the main protagonist be a player-created character. 95% of the time, I hate JRPGs that go with silent protagonists or player-created characters that never really feel truly integrated into the story. When I play JRPGs, I like to just step into the roles of already established characters & designs and watch their story play out. Would still be interested in an XCX 2 on Switch after Xenoblade 2 releases though.

See, these are all perfectly valid complaints, even if these things never bothered me personally.

Don't understand me wrong, XC is my most played Wii game by a country mile. I must have logged almost 200h in that thing, it's a fantastic game in all respects. XCX just ticked even more boxes with my personal tastes.

The endless divebomb posts are just tiring and stupid. Looks like it's impossible to talk about XCX in a civilized manner outside of the OT.

foxuzamaki

Tales of sells more worldwide, almost certainly, than Xenoblade, given how late in the Wii gen Xenoblade released in the west, and how niche the Wii U itself was.
ThAt completely depends on which tales of game, each xenoblade game have sold respect fully and gotten pretty close 1 million, tales ofs have had games that sold like shit and a couple that managed to barely reach a million, the latest tales game, berseria despite being one of the higher reviewed ones hasent sold great

I stand corrected.

But the end of the day, her ass is still desperately trying to escape her outfit so I'm not sure what that actually changes

You don't have to stare and she isn't naked ;) Get over that ass (that does sound weird, sorry)

Edit: I think i will try X now, it's dirtcheap and my Wii U would love to be used again.

Takahashi needs more love and Vertrauen from his fans.

foxuzamaki

I stand corrected.

In my opinion there is somewhat of a difference between a miniskirt the length of pyra's shorts and just short shorts,I think its important to make a distinction

I was pretty disappointed too regarding the create your MC part of Xenoblade X, but I got over it and actually enjoyed my time.

And tbh the narrative in Xenoblade Chronicles isn't that amazing either. So, I don't know why people shit on X so much.

Part of the reason I'm not very hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is because I feel like Monolith took a step back to the first one but with worse character designs rather than expand on X.

Aleh

Skipped through the video and man, that looks pretty underwhelming visually.

Looks like a PS2 game, and not an impressive one at that.

And with this, I've read everything.

Just hoping it's a joke post but I can never tell on here lol

I was pretty disappointed too regarding the create your MC part of Xenoblade X, but I got over it and actually enjoyed my time.

And tbh the narrative in Xenoblade Chronicles isn't that amazing either. So, I don't know why people shit on X so much.

Part of the reason I'm not very hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is because I feel like Monolith took a step back to the first one but with worse character designs rather than expand on X.

I loved the presentation and story of XBC.
If you want a X 2 you will have to wait for that, this is Xenoblade 2, it is more focused on the story like Xenoblade 1 with more of the X exploring (its built upon the X tech/engine at least).

I am glad that it's a (spiritual) successor to Xenoblade 1 and not X (even when it does learn from X) and it isn't a stepback in any way for what it is. It looks to me like X fans are salty because it's not X 2.

Also the characters look much more like the artworks, thats something Monolithsoft didn't accomplish with X or Xenoblade. For me it's a step up in this regard.

Almond

"Hmm. The preview thread is still pretty active. Let's take a look see and hope it's some nice discussion about the game and hasn't devolved into more complaining about-

giphy.gif

"Oh."

I really want to read and participate, but the constant whiiiiiiiining about the character designs every...single...Xenoblade thread get's so, so old. There's nothing wrong with not liking a particular design or style, but to come in just to complain about that doesn't add anything.

foxuzamaki

If you want a X 2 you will have to wait for that, this is Xenoblade 2, it is more focused on the story like Xenoblade 1 with more of the X exploring (its built upon the X tech/engine at least).

I am glad that it's a (spiritual) successor to Xenoblade 1 and not X (even when it does learn from X) and it isn't a stepback in any way for what it is. It looks to me like X fans are salty because it's not X 2.

Also the characters look much more like the artworks, thats something Monolithsoft didn't accomplish with X or Xenoblade. For me it's a step up in this regard.

X fans being salty that it isnt X 2 is almost certainly the grand minority, afterall, X fans more than likely also played the original

I really like both Xenoblade and Xenoblade X

Yeah, liking them both doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I loved XBC for a number of reasons; it was a fairly original premise for a JRPG (the world as titans, etc) and the characters were strong as well. It cut a lot of fat from a lot of other JRPGs (don't have to return to complete a quest, fast travel to landmarks, change time of day to any time) and also had a surprisingly engaging story and of course the amazing soundtrack. The gameplay hook that I liked the most though was the exploration; I loved getting experience for discovering a new landmark, or a new "special" area. Unfortunately, despite the vastness, it was a fairly linear, guided process.

X meanwhile had issues with the story pacing and the silent protagonist didn't help. That being said, the gameplay exploration was totally expanded upon and for me was an amazing experience. The joy of discovery and my OCD-ish tendency to fill in the entire map and hexagon was the guiding factor rather than the story and characters, but I still loved it. Having said that, I do think that while X's story was somewhat lackluster and seemed definitely an "Episode 1" to a larger story, the world/universe building especially building New LA up with all the other alien races, discovering the politics and social constructs of each race was fantastic and IMO way deeper than XBC's. But I get that it's not for everyone. That plus the Sawano soundtrack which ranges from Fantastic to WTF definitely gives a mixed experience. But I gotta tell ya... getting the flight module for the first time and finally reaching that peak in Primordia I'd been eyeing for 40+ hours... it's one of my most memorably gaming moments of last/this gen.

I'm hoping XBC2 mixes the story, characterization and soundtrack with SOME of the exploration gameplay hook of XBCX. If it pulls that off, it has the potential to be a really amazing experience.

foxuzamaki

Yeah, liking them both doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I loved XBC for a number of reasons; it was a fairly original premise for a JRPG (the world as titans, etc) and the characters were strong as well. It cut a lot of fat from a lot of other JRPGs (don't have to return to complete a quest, fast travel to landmarks, change time of day to any time) and also had a surprisingly engaging story and of course the amazing soundtrack. The gameplay hook that I liked the most though was the exploration; I loved getting experience for discovering a new landmark, or a new "special" area. Unfortunately, despite the vastness, it was a fairly linear, guided process.

X meanwhile had issues with the story pacing and the silent protagonist didn't help. That being said, the gameplay exploration was totally expanded upon and for me was an amazing experience. The joy of discovery and my OCD-ish tendency to fill in the entire map and hexagon was the guiding factor rather than the story and characters, but I still loved it. Having said that, I do think that while X's story was somewhat lackluster and seemed definitely an "Episode 1" to a larger story, the world/universe building especially building New LA up with all the other alien races, discovering the politics and social constructs of each race was fantastic and IMO way deeper than XBC's. But I get that it's not for everyone. That plus the Sawano soundtrack which ranges from Fantastic to WTF definitely gives a mixed experience. But I gotta tell ya... getting the flight module for the first time and finally reaching that peak in Primordia I'd been eyeing for 40+ hours... it's one of my most memorably gaming moments of last/this gen.

I'm hoping XBC2 mixes the story, characterization and soundtrack with SOME of the exploration gameplay hook of XBCX. If it pulls that off, it has the potential to be a really amazing experience.

You basically nailed X to a T

Reki

I really like both Xenoblade and Xenoblade X

Thank you, we needed this post.

If I read it right, you haven't played X... well, the thing is, that game ends in a big cliffhanger, and the sequel will eventually come. XC though seemed like a closed story, that's what was a little surprising for some of us back in january.

And before someone says they aren't connected because Takahashi said so... well, the fanbase has speculated about the connections between XC and XCX for the longest time. Not because a hairpin or a homs mention in the second, to be clear.

What gets me in X is characters like L and Cecillia: They have nothing to do with the story (though at least you meet L during an actual story mission while Cece is in a prereq mission), they're both the only characters of their race to show up in the game, they both feel like they're parts of content that was cut (Cece even gets an actual cutscene in one of her affinity mission, which is more than I can say for most of the cast), and it's like, at a certain point why not just cut those characters altogether, or at least make them members of a race that actually exists in the game.

There also seemed to be a pretty big gap between the main narrative and whoever was writing the side quest stories, because you ended up with stuff like
People being upset because their families weren't allowed to come on the ark, but then like, a literal convicted serial killer somehow managed to get on board? What?

Nickie

Neo Member
I'm a massive Xenoblade Chronicles fan so I'm very much anticipating this. The original Xenoblade reignited my love for JRPGs... What's so good about it is that the story was very epic, complex, and goes to many places but still very easy to follow thanks to the writing, pacing, and translation/voice acting. The whole world and its premise made sense. I LOOOOVE that ending! It's so out of left field but it still made sense!

I expected the same for Xenoblade Chronicles X but while it had so MUCH potential with mysteries that they threw at you, many don't get resolved at all! I love the mind fuckery twists: [SPOILERS]... It was set up that you are the last group of humans left in the universe, then you find out that you're all robots being controlled by their own respective bodies in stasis in the Lifehold, then you find out that there are no bodies at all and that you are all just a bunch of memories stored in datas. It's AMAZING setup with deep philosophical undertones of what it is to be human! But so many things were never answered: Why was everyone still functioning when the Lifehold was waterdamaged, who was in the mysterious Skell who helped fight off the Ganglion, why were the Ganglion afraid of humans that they wanna wipe them out, why were the different races understanding each other in Mira (Tatsu said the humans speak Nopon, while the humans said Tatsu speaks English), and so on. I was awaiting for a mindfuck revelation but was left hanging and that was annoying. [/SPOILERS]

There were many great music tracks in both XC and XCX but the former is just way better IMO... but from what I hear in XC2, it's looking promising so far.

Also, for the people complaining about the battle HUD, you need the art and weapon descriptions to be there as you cannot scroll through them like the first two. They're one button touch action now, and unless you can memorize what each icon and each Blade weapon is, otherwise you'd be messing up all the time!

EhoaVash

I'm a massive Xenoblade Chronicles fan so I'm very much anticipating this. The original Xenoblade reignited my love for JRPGs... What's so good about it is that the story was very epic, complex, and goes to many places but still very easy to follow thanks to the writing, pacing, and translation/voice acting.

I expected the same for Xenoblade Chronicles X but while it had so MUCH potential with mysteries that they threw at you, many don't get resolved at all! I love the mind fuckery twists:
... It was set up that you are the last group of humans left in the universe, then you find out that you're all robots being controlled by their own respective bodies in stasis in the Lifehold, then you find out that there are no bodies at all and that you are all just a bunch of memories stored in datas. It's AMAZING setup with deep philosophical undertones of what it is to be human! But so many things were never answered: Why was everyone still functioning when the Lifehold was waterdamaged, who was in the mysterious Skell who helped fight off the Ganglion, why were the Ganglion afraid of humans that they wanna wipe them out, why were the different races understanding each other in Mira (Tatsu said the humans speak Nopon, while the humans said Tatsu speaks English), and so on. I was awaiting for a mindfuck revelation but was left hanging and that was annoying.

There were many great music tracks in both XC and XCX but the former is just way better IMO... but from what I hear in XC2, it's looking promising so far.

Also, for the people complaining about the battle HUD, you need the art and weapon descriptions to be there as you cannot scroll through them like the first two. They're one button touch action now, and unless you can memorize what each icon and each Blade weapon is, otherwise you'd be messing up all the time!

damn now i'm really really craving Xenoblade chronicles X 2 lol game had a lot of good set ups too but the ending felt really rushed and nothing was fleshed out outside of the initial set up :(

I really want to go back and play XCX again but my disc stopped working for some reason makes me sad lol.
CV-LT9xU4AADTQS.jpg

miss riding this

jdstorm

Banned
What gets me in X is characters like L and Cecillia: They have nothing to do with the story (though at least you meet L during an actual story mission while Cece is in a prereq mission), they're both the only characters of their race to show up in the game, they both feel like they're parts of content that was cut (Cece even gets an actual cutscene in one of her affinity mission, which is more than I can say for most of the cast), and it's like, at a certain point why not just cut those characters altogether, or at least make them members of a race that actually exists in the game.

There also seemed to be a pretty big gap between the main narrative and whoever was writing the side quest stories, because you ended up with stuff like
People being upset because their families weren't allowed to come on the ark, but then like, a literal convicted serial killer somehow managed to get on board? What?

Cece was seemingly the 2nd of her race a light side contrast to the Midina looking villan. Didn't get explored much though.

As for L i always thought he was a male version of MAJOR SPOILERS
Elma's race
and that was the reason the team were so quick to let him stay in new LA.

The game also explains that Money and influence was the surest way to get on the white whale. So if the killer was a person of power/influence it makes sense that they would get approved.

FYI the Mysterious Skell question was answered.
Its Elma in the Aryes.

So was the "Why do they want to destroy the humans?"
The Slug guy explains it. There was some profecy that the humans would destroy the ganglion. (Human DNA may or may not be afailsafe against the ganglion. I forget the specifics) So the ganglion attacked earth trying to wipe everyone out and ensure their survival.

Edit: in saying that some of the sidequests hint at a sentiet planet and time travel, so literally anything could be happening.

Z3M0G

Looks really good, (still smells to Wii U port) just what I expect from a sequel, not that Xenoblade X...
But framerate needs lot of work and combat HUD is horrible.

Seriously...
iilNeyJ.png
The hud you see in combat is dictated by the needs of the battle system... so if the hud has problems......

"Hmm. The preview thread is still pretty active. Let's take a look see and hope it's some nice discussion about the game and hasn't devolved into more complaining about-

giphy.gif

"Oh."

I really want to read and participate, but the constant whiiiiiiiining about the character designs every...single...Xenoblade thread get's so, so old. There's nothing wrong with not liking a particular design or style, but to come in just to complain about that doesn't add anything.

This. And the unnecessary diarrhea on Xenoblade Chronicles X.

On topic

This preview was a nice tease. Can't wait until we get a release date.

Z3M0G

The hud exists to simplify the battle system. I'm not sure what you are insinuating here.
Huh? Odd way to look at it, but i guess i get what you mean. Sure, it would be more complicated if all the mechanics stay the same but they dont give you the hud info.

My point is that the combat system is most likely too bloated...

Nickie

Neo Member
Nickie your spoilers didn't go through.
Sorry, got no clue how to do spoiler tags. :\

FYI the Mysterious Skell question was answered.
Its Elma in the Aryes.
No, no... Actually, I should expand on that... The mysterious Ares has two pilots (it's a Tandem Skell a la Pacific Rim)... One was Elma and the other was never revealed but I remember it was hinted that it was Elma's love interest. The other pilot ejected Elma to save her and fight the enemies himself and let the White Whale escape...

Fou-Lu

Skells are one of my favourite game mechanics in any game. They just felt so good to control and were so beautifully realized graphically. I would love if there was even a single moment in XC2 where you got to control a mecha.

jdstorm

Banned
Sorry, got no clue how to do spoiler tags. :

No, no... Actually, I should expand on that... The mysterious Ares has two pilots (it's a Tandem Skell a la Pacific Rim)... One was Elma and the other was never revealed but I remember it was hinted that it was Elma's love interest. The other pilot ejected Elma to save her and fight the enemies himself and let the White Whale escape...

From my Understanding.

Elma was some sort of advanced alien princess and just took the most advanced skell when she came to earth on her mercy mission. Despite Ares being a dual skell, Elma flew it solo (or maybe with the help of her Mim.) And singlehandedly fought off the invasion (because Elma is that amazing) before landing on the white whale in orbit and everyone making the jump.

Skells are one of my favourite game mechanics in any game. They just felt so good to control and were so beautifully realized graphically. I would love if there was even a single moment in XC2 where you got to control a mecha.
I loved the Skells in X. I think it's the best flying machine in any game. Going high up in the sky's to see floating islands was so amazing.

Akai

From my Understanding.

Elma was some sort of advanced alien princess and just took the most advanced skell when she came to earth on her mercy mission. Despite Ares being a dual skell, Elma flew it solo (or maybe with the help of her Mim.) And singlehandedly fought off the invasion (because Elma is that amazing) before landing on the white whale in orbit and everyone making the jump.

Her partner is directly referenced, so no.

Top Bottom