• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 previews

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It constantly wastes the player's time, the exploration is forced rather than organic, and the environments (apart from noctilum) aren't particularly varied.

The story is bad, the combat discourages experimentation (by the time you've decided you don't like a play style, invested a bunch of exp on the skill path and are playing with a handicap on the next one), the run button is stupid, swapping between enemy targets is inexplicably broken, and mechs and fast travel are at odds with each other.

There's more I can't recall off the top of my head, but playing that game frustrated the hell out of me. Felt like an 8/10 with a 10/10 inside, if they'd just been willing to make some hard choices

I dont even know what you mean by "forced' wtf does that even mean, the entire game is built around exploring

I think XCX combat is worse than XBC. They added some stuff like second and third level cool but overdrive is worse than chain attacks imo and the gear a d damage progresion system was so much worse tha XBC I never felt like my characters were actually improving. XBC combat may have been a bit more simple but I liked thr party focus and I think the simpler mechanics worked better.

XCX had no other towns to really visit either. This was another problem for me. XC had lots of places to visit and it was great to go to the Nopons home in the middle of a forest.

XC2 has already shown a couple of towns and that last town got me very excited.

I dont even know what you mean by "forced' wtf does that even mean, the entire game is built around exploring
The game forces you to explore, rather than rewards you for exploring even when you don't have to.

It's the difference between XBX vs the original.. And breath of the wild. And skies of arcadia.

I prefer the exploration in all those games to XBX's, because very little of it is forced on the player.

Honestly, it's even worse than that... because of the level threshold attached to waypoints (or whatever they were called), you are punished for exploring occasionally ('i found a level 5... great...') even as the game is requiring you to hit %s for progress.

God damn, this game gets me riled up just thinking about it.

Mister Wolf

The game forces you to explore, rather than rewards you for exploring even when you don't have to.

It's the difference between XBX vs the original.. And breath of the wild. And skies of arcadia.

I prefer the exploration in all those games to XBX's, because very little of it is forced on the player.

Honestly, it's even worse than that... because of the level threshold attached to waypoints (or whatever they were called), you are punished for exploring occasionally ('i found a level 5... great...') even as the game is requiring you to hit %s for progress.

God damn, this game gets me riled up just thinking about it.

Don't worry Takahashi wont bother making a sequel to it.

Shahadan

And here I thought that for once the usual "forced" bullcrap wasn't followed by the "punished" bullshit but he edited and added it in.

And here I thought that for once the usual "forced" bullcrap wasn't followed by the "punished" bullshit but he edited and added it in.
Call it bullshit if you like, I lived it and have the mental scars to prove it!

Never going back! Xenoblade 1 otoh I've gone back into a half dozen times. The first half of that game is magic.

Gambit

In Xeno X you ARE an EXPLORER. Crash landed on Mira that's your job. It's like complaining that Mario games force you to jump. Now if you feel the exploration was not as rewarding it is your opinion and can be a legitimate complaint. But exploration IS the game in X.

Irrespective of that I personally also preferred Shulk's game. Which is why I love how X2 looks.

I'm already more into this game than I ever was about XCX. That game was so lifeless and dull. I'm really glad they went back to the original style.

LotusHD

Banned
I dunno what it is, the new gameplay doesn't seem to be all that different from what I watched back in E3, and yet... I'm finally now into what I see.

Thoraxes

It's Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE (+ was Kenji Hiramatsu who is also working on the project) and Manami Kiyota. Basically everyone from the first game minus Yoko Shimomura.

Mitsuda has a more active role this time than just his tiny contribution to XBC. Should be a much better OST as a result too!

aravuus

And you know what, it really shouts "Arts upgrade". So we may be able to use every Arts right at the beginning after upgrading it up to a specific level/point/direction.
Again that's one of the hidden things that will make the game shine and be the complete opposite from what people often expect it to be.
That's the depth I love from Monolithsoft.

How is having to reach an arbitrary level for an art for it to be usable at the start of a battle good in any way? How is it deep? It doesn't add anything to the combat system.

Literally all it does is turn the first 10 seconds of every single early fight into stand-still-and-auto-attack fests.

e: also XBX > XB any day fuck all yall haters

In Xeno X you ARE an EXPLORER. Crash landed on Mira that's your job. It's like complaining that Mario games force you to jump. Now if you feel the exploration was not as rewarding it is your opinion and can be a legitimate complaint. But exploration IS the game in X.

Irrespective of that I personally also preferred Shulk's game. Which is why I love how X2 looks.
I don't disagree with any of that, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I dunno what it is, the new gameplay doesn't seem to be all that different from what I watched back in E3, and yet... I'm finally now into what I see.
For me. Xenoblade is one of the most boring games to look at for gameplay.

As long as it's near the quality of the first two I'm there Day 1. Gotta be great playing a Xenoblade on handheld

Waji

How is having to reach an arbitrary level for an art for it to be usable at the start of a battle good in any way? How is it deep? It doesn't add anything to the combat system.

Literally all it does is turn the first 10 seconds of every single early fight into stand-still-and-auto-attack fests.
Yeah, just give every upgrade to Arts, every skills to the characters and unlock every possible type of Blades, available at the beginning.
Why bother having any evolution, right.

If you can't see it, you can't see it. We barely saw anything from the menus so we don't even know how it works.
Maybe you can even unlock that feature so fast it wouldn't matter to anyone. The game works differently, in a more tactical way than X, that's it.
Sorry you don't like.

I enjoy both Xenoblade and X.

aravuus

Yeah, just give every upgrade to Arts, every skills to the characters and unlock every possibl e type of Blades available at the beginning.

Why bother having any evolution, right.

??? The fuck are you even on about

I want upgradeable arts as much as anyone. No, I want them more than anyone. I love it when JRPGs are crammed with tons of stuff to level up. One of the reasons why I tend to like JRPGs so much. One of the reasons why I loved Xenoblade X.

Having to start from zero charge for arts at the start of every battle is not only dumb as hell, it's also something that was not a problem in XB and XBX. You do remember that you start with all your arts charged up at the beginning of a battle in those games, and you could level up your arts? That's what I want.

e: I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT NOT WANTING LEVELS FOR ARTS

Waji

I don't disagree with any of that, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.
You just said one weird thing.
Xenoblade rewarding the player better for exploration, but it's actually the opposite.
There are much more things to find in X than in the first Xenoblade, from probes, to treasures, as well as a lot more of Overed/Unique monsters.

I think both have their merits, but Xenoblade being more balanced, it's easy to like it more.
X had to deal with the Wii U, the "first HD game" lots of dev teams had trouble with, first open world and so on... unfortunately. Still it turned out really good, so that's a thing.

It just lacks dual audio so the west can experience greatness : P.

??? The fuck are you even on about

I want upgradeable arts as much as anyone. No, I want them more than anyone. I love it when JRPGs are crammed with tons of stuff to level up. One of the reasons why I tend to like JRPGs so much. One of the reasons why I loved Xenoblade X.

Having to start from zero charge for arts at the start of every battle is not only dumb as hell, it's also something that was not a problem in XB and XBX. You do remember that you start with all your arts charged up at the beginning of a battle in those games, and you could level up your arts? That's what I want.

e: I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT NOT WANTING LEVELS FOR ARTS
Huh... you don't have to be so agressive.

Just remember how lots of people threw the game away (X even more) just because they couldn't understand battles.
Try to see this as a way to explain the battle system step by step.
How many Jrpg begin with only Attack/Item until you get a single skill and so on...
There are many more options very quickly in this game especially as each Blades directly give you 3 Arts + special.

And the problem in how you react is that you don't see how crucial the auto attack is in Xenoblade 2 more than in the 2 others.
This time it charges the Arts, combos itself AND combos to Arts with a type of PSO just attack.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a little like in the first Xenosaga when you just used a very small amount of points to be able to use specials with 2 AP instead of 4.

There are many more details to check than in the previous one so it might be a good idea to have the "usable at the beginning" available after a few battles in the upgrade menu, so the poeple who didn't follow every live or explanations can deal with the change.

Of course if it was locked between thousands of points and only reachable mid game it would be concerning. But they already have it in this video and they are at level 20 more or less if I remember well.
So I bet you can access to it in the first 5 hours of the game easily since they certainly didn't bother to upgrade much so the battles take longer, for the live's sake.

I do see your point but I don't think you need to be so... "mad" about it.

aravuus

Huh... you don't have to be so agressive.

Just remember how lots of people threw the game away (X even more) just because they couldn't understand battles.
Try to see this as a way to explain the battle system step by step.
How many Jrpg begin with only Attack/Item until you get a single skill and so on...

And the problem in how you react is that you don't see how crucial the auto attack is in Xenoblade 2 more than in the 2 others.
This time it charges the Arts, combos itself AND combos to Arts with a type of PSO just attack.

There are many more details to check than in the previous one so it might be a good idea to have the "usable at the beginning" available after a few battles in the upgrade menu, so the poeple who didn't follow every live or explanations can deal with the change.

Of course if it was locked between thousands of points and only reachable mid game it would be concerning. But they already have it in this video and they are at level 20 more or less if I remember well.
So I bet you can access to it in the first 5 hours of the game since they certainly didn't bother to upgrade much so the battles take longer, for the live's sake.

I have no idea what you're trying to say half the time, sorry.

But I realize auto-attacks are slightly different this time around. It still doesn't change the fact that starting from zero arts at the beginning of a battle does nothing but make the battles longer for no discernible reason. It doesn't add a tactical element to it, it doesn't make things deeper. It just stretches trash mob fights out. This does not play into the elements you mentioned at all.

Considering the characters are level 20 already in the video and they only have ONE art usable at the beginning of every battle, I'm not optimistic it's something you'd unlock very early at all.

I can't believe anyone could consider this a good change, but here we are.

I caught up on the footage from Gamescom last night, I watched on mobile so didn't see the frame rate problems everyone's been mentioning. The area they showed looked lovely to me, and the music! Oh man the music is perfect. Exactly what I wanted from a Xenoblade sequel.

I'm hoping we get access to some kind of transports at some point.

Waji

I have no idea what you're trying to say half the time, sorry.

But I realize auto-attacks are slightly different this time around. It still doesn't change the fact that starting from zero arts at the beginning of a battle does nothing but make the battles longer for no discernible reason. It doesn't add a tactical element to it, it doesn't make things deeper. It just stretches trash mob fights out. This does not play into the elements you mentioned at all.

Considering the characters are level 20 already in the video and they only have ONE art usable at the beginning of every battle, I'm not optimistic it's something you'd unlock very early at all.

I can't believe anyone could consider this a good change, but here we are.
I actually never wrote it was a good change lol. I said I was happy to have the confirmation we could speed up some parts of the gameplay. Next is auto attack animation speed.

From the beginning you're just too upset.

Theres too much text on the screen :/

They keep talking about the beautiful vistas but all the numbers and markers really take you out of it. Did no one from the BOTW help them with the UI?

aravuus

I actually never wrote it was a good change lol. I said I was happy to have the confirmation we could speed up some parts of the gameplay. Next is auto attack animation speed.

Fair enough, you went on and on about the depth and "one of the hidden things" in a post that directly addressed the art availability in battles, pardon me for interpreting that as being fine or even happy with the change.

From the beginning you're just too upset.

Is this a "u mad" reply in the year of our lord 2017? The only thing I was upset about was the fact that I hadn't gotten my morning coffee yet.

Waji

Fair enough, you went on and on about the depth and "one of the hidden things" in a post that directly addressed the art availability in battles, pardon me for interpreting that as being fine or even happy with the change.

Is this a "u mad" reply in the year of our lord 2017? The only thing I was upset about was the fact that I hadn't gotten my morning coffee yet.
Coffee will just upset you more : D.

LordKano

You'll likely be able to remove a lot of the HUD anyway. I played Xenoblade X with practically nothing outside of battles and it was a blast.
1450354547-wiiu-screenshot-tv-01c4c.jpg

How is there too much text? You're worried about vistas as your battling?
The battles have too much text too. I don't need to see every single digit of the hp of my enemy being taken out. There are better visual cues for that.

Some at Monolith Soft worked on BOTW. They should know better. I really hope you can take those out and replace them with other cues.

Waji

The battles have too much text too. I don't need to see every single digit of the hp of my enemy being taken out. There are better visual cues for that.

Some at Monolith Soft worked on BOTW. They should know better. I really hope you can take those out and replace them with other cues.
I like seeing my damage. Should I stop ?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Xeno topics always strike me because reading the reactions it is evident how poorly the saga has sold so far :p

I hope this one, exploiting Switch success, could reach 1 million ww to guarantee similar projects from monolith

Waji

Xeno topics always strike me because reading the reactions it is evident how poorly the saga has sold so far :p

I hope this one, exploiting Switch success, could reach 1 million ww to guarantee similar projects from monolith
Despite the sales we got new games and it doesn't seem nintendo is stopping them so...

And the sales are actually ok overall.

OrochiJR

Gold Member
I didn't read through the whole thread (and the other Gamescom Nintendo thread), just skimmed through, so I would like more knowledgable members to confirm if I am right that none of these following things got mentioned during the game's showing: 1) Will the western release contain optional Japanese audio? 2) Will there be a Limited Edition? and 3) When does the goddamn game come out?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I didn't read through the whole thread (and the other Gamescom Nintendo thread), just skimmed through, so I would like more knowledgable members to confirm if I am right that none of these following things got mentioned during the game's showing: 1) Will the western release contain optional Japanese audio? 2) Will there be a Limited Edition? and 3) When does the goddamn game come out?

We know nothing

aravuus

The character levels next to their HP bars are also unnecessary.

And so are the Blade names on the lower left. The element and type icons could very well be in the corresponding Blade "diamonds", that currently contain the small picture of the Blade which is... More than unnecessary.

The art names on the lower right are also completely unnecessary. I'd argue the same goes for their effect descriptions - the art diamonds could be slightly bigger and the effects could easily be depicted as small icons inside of them. Or hell, get rid of the diamonds/art icons altogether and put the current art names/descriptions in their place. The art icons serve absolutely no purpose there, they just make quickly checking the art's charge harder.

And why are these elements
b03c154b4a.jpg

presented in word form again? Why not the elemental icon? It would save space, probably make things easier to check in a hurry and it'd be more cohesive.

And why is this a thing?
99ced74776.jpg

I can already see the big I/II/III/IV and the elemental icon on the lower right, what purpose does this serve? If it's a case of them wanting to make it obvious - make the elemental icon (in this case, the small flame) grey when you can't execute an elemental (A button) attack and start making it brighter and brighter red when you start gaining levels for it.

Really, "unnecessary crap" is the name of the fucking game when it comes to this HUD. And don't get me started on unnecessary non-HUD elements, like the Blade's being there at all times, distracting you and making the framerate tank.

Being able to turn off elements of the HUD is also hardly a solution, because I fear it might end up being a case of all or nothing. Either you see everything about your Blades in the HUD, their names and goddamn pictures included, or you see nothing.

But I hope I'll be proven wrong. At the very, VERY least, I hope there's a "HUD scale" setting or something. I have a 55 inch goddamn TV, the HUD really doesn't need to be this big for me.

Waji

1) Pretty sure it won't.
2) We don't know but probably.
3) We still don't know but end of November/beginning of December would seem safe. We should have a Direct soon to finally know.

But I hope I'll be proven wrong. At the very, VERY least, I hope there's a "HUD scale" setting or something. I have a 55 inch goddamn TV, the HUD really doesn't need to be this big for me.
Both Xenoblade games had at least a few options to reduce the number of appearing features. Less during fight buuuut... there were some. And that's why I wanted those live to show more about menus. >~<

If there's one thing every game should show, it's options, the least spoiling uet so useful thing.

Edit : Btw I just checked and the Arts icons are actually showing some details about the positionning for example.
So I'm pretty sure the text beside (with the name and effects) can be removed from the screen.
That's actually something we could do in the first Xenoblade so it makes even more sense.

TI82

Banned
Waayyyy overcrowded battle UI and I'm guessing the battle system is still the same crappy MMO style. Sucks :(

DJIzana

Probably the new area and the new city looking different than the first Guar Plains looking area?

The first zone looked good but it also... I dunno. Looked basic. As in nothing stood out in terms of unique looking geological structures and the town didn't look different.

This new city had a theatre and looked super unique... the lighting, the vegetation etc. All different (+ night time). Had a more... Xenoblade X vibe (which I love, personally).

Waji

Probably the new area and the new city looking different than the first Guar Plains looking area?

The first zone looked good but it also... I dunno. Looked basic. As in nothing stood out in terms of unique looking geological structures and the town didn't look different.

This new city had a theatre and looked super unique... the lighting, the vegetation etc. All different (+ night time). Had a more... Xenoblade X vibe (which I love, personally).
I thought the first city was really charming.

Top Bottom