• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Wunray

Xenoblade Chronicles, in my opinion is one of the greatest jrpgs ever made (Controversial opinion right here) and was released in an era one could consider jrpgs to be on the decline. I must admit when I first booted it up on the Wii I thought it was ugly as sin and the combat system was ass so I immediately dropped it, but the second time around I gave it a chance and stuck with it and I am glad I did, for me it became my most favorite jrpg of all time. The world is just breath taking it shouldn't look that good for the hardware it ran on, the characters are some of the best written I have seen for the genre and the story is at the top of it's class. Shulk is best main protag, he beats fate, he beats god, he beats hardware limitations cause we all know that game shouldn't have been able to run on the Wii AND he gets the girl (implied but i'll take it). You could say i'm really feeling it.

I was planning to do a countdown thread to the release day and post media and images till launch like my kh3 countdown thread and so I shall:

Day 28
reporting-for-duty.original.png

Share your love for the game or series as a whole, who's your favorite character and why is it reyn?

Pejo

What chances do you guys think Melia has for getting out of the friend zone in the remake?

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Monolith soft are truly masters of building interesting,beautifull and full of things to do and see worlds.They have proven it so many times now.I didn't knew much about the franchise.Bought the first one on Wii u virtual console and I was left speechless from start to finish.They really pushed Wii to its limits.Leaving the first town back and entering the open world while listening to the amazing gaur plains music is something that stills gives me chills everytime I remember it.The pace of the story,the translation and voice overs are truly top notch too.After I finished it I bought xenoblade x and 2 and I loved them too.But there is truly something unique or a combination of things here that make it stand apart.I can't wait to really get lost in this amazing world again.

Andyliini

I'm eagerly waiting to replay this game on Switch, hopefully it runs well, too. When I read that Future Connected has it's own combat system it really reminded me of Torna - The Golden Country. In a perfect world this epiloque would be as meaty as Torna, but I doubt it considering it's already on disk and ready to be played right away.

V2Tommy

One of the best JRPG stories of the last 10 years, solid combat, awesome soundtrack, great exploration, great art......farty voice acting. Among the top 3 Xeno games.

1. Xenogears
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Xenosaga 3
4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5. Everything else

XC better than Episode III? Man. One has KOS-MOS, the other game has Deviant Art art.

fallingdove

XC better than Episode III? Man. One has KOS-MOS, the other game has Deviant Art art.

Episode III looses points for Shion's annoying suction cup shoes and the generally limited exploration. Also Canaan should have been a more prominent character. Awesome game though.

I'm really fetting impatient now. No other game is fun right now. Animal Crossing is losing steam for me, and other games just feel like meaningless filler.

I'm super excited for Future Connected. There's really three possibilities, and all are fine with me (from worst to best):

1.) It just brings closure to Melia/the High Entia.

2.) It hints at XC3, subtly.

3.) It ends with a full blown teaser for XC3.

Between the three Xenoblade gamew, I rank it last, because I love the different X, and xb2 does everything better than xb1. But that doesn't mean that xb1 isn't a masterpiece. It certainly is.

What chances do you guys think Melia has for getting out of the friend zone in the remake?

Only if Shulk pulls a Rex at the end of FC 🤷‍♀️

Quasicat

Xenoblade Chronicles was the first game I imported from Amazon UK. Ordered it and then went through the process of hacking my Wii in order to play it. The day after I finished it, GameStop announced it was coming exclusively through them. Since then, I’ve downloaded it to my WiiU menu and played it on 3DS. I now have it preordered for my Switch. I love this game!

The updated character models look so fucking anime that its disgusting. Anyways, the original is my fave game from Nintendo from the last decade. Already pre-ordered the special edition the moment it went live.

Vawn

Banned
In July, I have a 13 hour flight to Hawaii. With the current drought of new Switch games, I really should save this until then. I know I won't be able to though.

ROMhack

I'm going to buy it for sure as I've never played but I'm reserved about how I'll feel.

Xenogears and to a lesser extent Xenosaga had so much ambition. I've never thought XC would hold a candle to them based on what I've seen and heard.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm not sure how I feel about the remodelled characters, but I enjoyed the original so much the first time round. I might have to just play my original copy in Dolphin, I'll be more than happy with that. Especially as I don't have a Switch.

Last edited:
I never finished it on the 3DS so I'll probably get it.

Even though many speak badly of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I did enjoy it alot.

I beat this. Tried X but never really made it past the tutorial. The battles just don't feel weighty in X. You kind of float around without feeling any feedback.

However from what I remember the whole topple system got old quickly and very little strategy was required. I would totes play the Remaster if I didn't sell my Switch years ago. If I had one tip it's that you should buy all the fucking skills before passing points of no return in the story. I skipped the topple improvement for the mage girl and you need her for one of the boss fights that spawns minions. AFAIK, maybe they moved the skill NPC somewhere.

In July, I have a 13 hour flight to Hawaii. With the current drought of new Switch games, I really should save this until then. I know I won't be able to though.
13 hours... you can drop 125-150 into this game if you soak it up like biscuits in gravy.

You should have plenty of time left before you board.

Vawn

Banned
13 hours... you can drop 125-150 into this game if you soak it up like biscuits in gravy.

You should have plenty of time left before you board.

I think it took me around 80 my first time. I go through games fast and only play one at a time. This comes out 5 weeks before our flight, I'd likely finish it before if I bought it at launch.

wvnative

I personally can't stand the MMO auto attack combat, but that was years ago.

For folks who like the game, is it worth giving it another go? I got like 6-7 hours in the Wii version before dropping it, I dislike ff12 for similar reasons, neither captures the thrill of an action game nor the direct control nature of a turn based game.

I cannot decide if its worth another $60 for something I think i won't like. But man, I loved Xenogears, I know this ain't the same, but I want to see where this guy went with his games.

I coasted through FFVII Remake on a wave of nostalgia, but I struggle to get into jrpgs and have for quite some time now. Last one I tried was Ni No Kuni 2 and I didn't make it too far.
I have been curious about this game for a while, but by the time I looked for a Wii copy they were already selling for a bajillion dollars.
Then they released it on the "new" 3DS, which I'm super glad I didn't bother with that "upgrade" so I missed it there too.
I'll probably end up picking it up, I've wanted to try it out ever since I saw the spider boss gif.

Wunray

I coasted through FFVII Remake on a wave of nostalgia, but I struggle to get into jrpgs and have for quite some time now. Last one I tried was Ni No Kuni 2 and I didn't make it too far.
I have been curious about this game for a while, but by the time I looked for a Wii copy they were already selling for a bajillion dollars.
Then they released it on the "new" 3DS, which I'm super glad I didn't bother with that "upgrade" so I missed it there too.
I'll probably end up picking it up, I've wanted to try it out ever since I saw the spider boss gif.
You are not alone with this, trust me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is this official art or is this fan made cause I really like this version of them.
It’s official, I believe it was one of the concept art for Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.

Now Definitive Edition is much closer to original concept when it comes to its art direction.

I personally can't stand the MMO auto attack combat, but that was years ago.

For folks who like the game, is it worth giving it another go? I got like 6-7 hours in the Wii version before dropping it, I dislike ff12 for similar reasons, neither captures the thrill of an action game nor the direct control nature of a turn based game.

I cannot decide if its worth another $60 for something I think i won't like. But man, I loved Xenogears, I know this ain't the same, but I want to see where this guy went with his games.

I'd buy it in a heart beat if it released on Steam. I enjoyed it tremendously on the Wii, and i equally enjoyed it on Dolphin years later. I liked most of the characters; some were fantastic and the english voice acting was very endearing. I liked the extraordinarily memorable world and the exploration of said world. The unfathomably huge number of side-quests were largely ignorable because they weren't even close to being halfway decent, but they're there if you want to do something else besides the main story. It's one of the best japanese - role playing games ever made, for sure.

As for whether or not it's worth buying for you depends on several factors that only you could answer for yourself. For example:

How fundamental was your dislike concerning the combat? There's a lot of combat in this game, some segments feature long stretches of combat which may be infuriatingly monotonous. If your dislike is deeply rooted and if combat is an important aspect regarding the enjoyment you'd potentially get out of the game, then i wouldn't recommend buying the game, because i believe you'll end up regretting the purchase and feeling resentful towards the game.

brenobnfm

Xenoblade is always been "anime" and even eyes size mostly same, the only difference is the new character models is less blurry and more expressive.

It was not, i see this being repeated everytime but it's very clear the original art style is much closer to Final Fantasy XII than some Tales game, like Xenoblade 2 and this remaster. Yeah, the execution was not the best on Wii, but they had the chance to do it right this time, instead they went for a much worse style and even if the execution is better, the game will be an inferior product.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It was not, i see this being repeated everytime but it's very clear the original art style is much closer to Final Fantasy XII than some Tales game, like Xenoblade 2 and this remaster. Yeah, the execution was not the best on Wii, but they had the chance to do it right this time, instead they went for a much worse style and even if the execution is better, the game will be an inferior product.
For you maybe, I honestly love the new style, I like my characters to be more expressive in the end its your choice and you still have the Wii version and Dolphin version and me rest of people will enjoy this one.

RealGassy

Banned
Man this new art style is anime garbage, i'm sticking do Dolphin.
Pretty much every JRPG since dawn of time has been anime garbage.
You either embrace it or it's not a game for you.
It even has the cliched screaming boy with a big sword.
Doesn't get more anime garbage than that.

I for one wish the remaster gave girls in the game Pyra sized melons.

Last edited:
Never really got into this on the wii or even on my 3ds, where it sits unplayed for the majority. Not sure whether it was the graphics or combat that put me off. Also seemed quite dull and lacking character.

Wunray

Never really got into this on the wii or even on my 3ds, where it sits unplayed for the majority. Not sure whether it was the graphics or combat that put me off. Also seemed quite dull and lacking character.
The 3ds could never do this game justice don't know why they bothered with this. Usually for most it's the combat that puts them off which I could understand.

The 3ds could never do this game justice don't know why they bothered with this. Usually for most it's the combat that puts them off which I could understand.
The 3DS version was the only version available to me and I’m sure it’s the same for many other players. While the graphics were downgraded I was still blown away that the full world was made playable on a handheld system.

Pretty much every JRPG since dawn of time has been anime garbage.
You either embrace it or it's not a game for you.
It even has the cliched screaming boy with a big sword.
Doesn't get more anime garbage than that.
I for one wish the remaster gave girls in the game Pyra sized melons.
Every Matsuno game says hi.

-Minsc-

XenoSwitch is my kind of anime style. Better than being more chibi or overly cutesy. I can understand why some would like the more grittier look of XenoWii. This said, the original definitely had anime elements in the designs.

Magusx

Was personally bit dissapointed with Xenoblade, with Xenogears being my favorite game of all time. I thought the some characters in Xenoblade weren't that interesting with their backstories.(some were) Really thought reyn was very bland character(no backstory at all)

Last edited:
Was personally bit dissapointed with Xenoblade, with Xenogears being my favorite game of all time. I thought the some characters in Xenoblade weren't that interesting with their backstories.(some were) Really thought reyn was very bland character(no backstory at all)
Xenoblade wasn’t designed to be in the vein of Gears/Saga. With Xenoblade the world itself was a higher priority than the characters.

After Xenogears and Xenosaga went through a lot of development issues, Takahashi decided that his brand of ambitious, deep storytelling isn’t suited for video games and decided to make self-contained games that don’t compromise on gameplay, a direction that is commercially viable and more responsible. Xenoblade Chronicles X is the culmination of that direction, with gameplay being the big focus of the game at the expense of story, as opposed to Xenogears and Xenosaga where gameplay would often take the back seat in favor of story.

The crazy thing imo is that despite Takahashi scaling back on his ambitions, Xenoblade is still an ambitious and excellent JRPG on all fronts.

I love Xenogears and Xenosaga deeply but I doubt anyone will ever attempt the same feat.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ok, Final Fantasy VII Remake done. Now, all I gotta do is get through Trials of Mana and Sakura Wars before the end of the month, and we'll be set for this.

Yup.

Totally gonna get through all that.

I feel like this game has to be the priority.

Zenaku

It’s official, I believe it was one of the concept art for Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.

Now Definitive Edition is much closer to original concept when it comes to its art direction.
Not technically concept art, as it was drawn after development for the pre-order soundtrack jacket.

Last edited:
Xenoblade Chronicles is a modern jrpg classic. I love its characters and grand story.

So I'm surprised that I love Xenoblade Chronicles X even more, when its characters and story aren't as good. What can I say, I can't get enough using overdrive on gigantic monsters and flying around Mirra in my pimped out mech.

But I'm very excited to experience the magic of Xenoblade 1 again. It's weird, I didn't go into 2020 thinking it was the year of the jrpg, but between Persona 5 Royal, FFVII Remake, XC Definitive Edition and other stuff like Yakuza changing to jrpg and a switch port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, it's jrpgs all over the place this year...and I'm really feeling it!

And I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Right after I've played XC Definitive Edition inside out I'm gonna go straight into XC2 and overclock my brain with jrpg goodness!

Last edited:
Top Bottom