• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles (EU) release moved up, Now August 19th

Luigiv said:
ONM has a new video with 10 minutes of commentated early gameplay. I'm only 40 seconds in but so far it seems like it's worth watching just for the commentator's accent alone.

And whilst we're on the topic of ONM, does anyone have the latest issue and is willing to share some choice quotes with us?

Pretty cool video. Didn't know that you can easily change between day and night like that, I hate it when you have to do something at night in a game and you just have to wait and stand there for 5 minutes.

Mlatador

Banned
I first had it preorderd on Amazon.de (I'm German), but then I learned there won't be any preorder bonus in Germany, hence I went with game.co.uk. The posters are so pretty...

Ydahs

There won't be many here, but to those that have played it, should I buy the new Classic Controller? Or is it perfectly playable with the Wiimote+Nunchuck control scheme?

I have the old one and so far no game has troubled me with a Wiimote+nunchuck control scheme but everything I've heard about the new controller has been positive.

vitacola

Ydahs said:
There won't be many here, but to those that have played it, should I buy the new Classic Controller? Or is it perfectly playable with the Wiimote+Nunchuck control scheme?

I have the old one and so far no game has troubled me with a Wiimote+nunchuck control scheme but everything I've heard about the new controller has been positive.
Some say that the CC(Pro) is the superior controller for Xenoblade, others say that it's no big deal to play with the Mote+Chuck.
If you already own the CC you don't need the CC Pro, I think. It's not that much better.

LProtag

Ydahs said:

Well it's got the better placement of the R/L buttons but I'm not sure how you need that for this. Also it's got the better grip and since this is an RPG you can expect to be playing for long amounts of time.

Really it's up to you though. I think you can get one on Amazon (in the US) for 15 dollars, so that might be worth it for you. It'd probably be best to at least use the old Classic Controller, but it's up to what feels better.

Zafir

Ydahs said:

I played the japanese version a bit with my Wiimote+nunchuck and the controls don't seem that bad. There's no waggle or swinging controls, everythings assigned to the buttons. The only more annoying thing is you have to hold down a button and then press other buttons to change the camera angle(dpad)/zoom(A to zoom in and B to zoom out).

I don't own a classic controller, getting one in the Collector's Edition. However, I did play an emulated classic controller on Dolphin, and the camera is assigned to the second analog stick which is less annoying. Also jump is no longer assigned to a trigger since B is a button on the controller. So in conclusion, it is slightly better, but I don't think it's worth buying a new controller for since it's only minor problems with the nunchuck+wiimote.

Zafir

Well, if your internet is decent enough you could probably obtain a copy after release while you wait for your copy to arrive. Then swap over when it does.

Hardly ideal, but cuts a bit of the time, I suppose.

Zafir

Zwei said:
What are you suggesting?!
Hey, I'm in no way condoning it.

Though really, if you've already bought it, and just waiting for it to arrive, it's up to you whether you think it's ethical or not.

Should probably drop the subject anyway.

udivision

Boogybro said:
Sigh in awe?

It's BEAUTIFUL!
There's no real reason for this game not to 1-up FFXII in real-time cutscenes, but when I watched that intro cutscene (mainly the humans) it was like blah.

I don't know, I've never really understood why SMG was the pinnacle of Wii graphics despite being a first gen game.

Zafir

Didn't SMG2 improve on the graphics? (I only played the first one)

I suppose a lot of developers won't have the funding like Nintendo do.

Antagon

udivision said:
There's no real reason for this game not to 1-up FFXII in real-time cutscenes, but when I watched that intro cutscene (mainly the humans) it was like blah.

I don't know, I've never really understood why SMG was the pinnacle of Wii graphics despite being a first gen game.

Have you seen the scale of the game? From what I've seen areas can easily be 10-20 times as large as any ffxii area. Obviously that comes with a trade off.

wrowa

udivision said:
Ehm... there is. It's called "enormous world". You can't have both a giant, rather seamless world and great textures/character models on Wii.

Boogybro

udivision said:

XII is divided into smaller, though decently sized sections ala Monster Hunter. And Galaxy is pound for pound a technical masterpiece, but on a much smaller scale.

Its sort of like asking why Elder Scrolls III and IV don't have the visual polish of a linear corridor shooter.

Edit: Oh, you meant real time cutscenes! Well i guess xii just had the funding and time to create seperate material for cutscenes.

Boogybro

Haven't really been following the story-side discussion on this game, other than the main quest being humongous.

How big of an issue are we talking here?

CoolS

Good god, those first 10 minutes where fucking fantastic.

I was thinking of maybe canceling my preorder becaus emoneys a little tight at the moment but now I won't be able to do that anymore.

wsippel

Banned
udivision said:

There is a very valid reason: FFXII had a huge budget and used tons of expensive visual trickery to pull off those cutscenes.

Zwei

chaosblade said:
Yeah, I've been tempted to cancel my CE preorder and get a standard one, but I keep deciding against it. Really glad NoE is publishing this and I'll give them full support for it by getting the CE.

Plus the CCPro and posters should be nice bonuses. Posters are supposed to come in a tube right? Thought I read that, hope so, would hate for them to be folded up.

Just to be clear, it's being reported that the posters aren't actually a part of the CE, but a pre-order bonus that can only be obtained in-store. Sorry importers. :(

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/important_xenoblade_pre_orders_from_game

Zornica

Banned
Zwei said:
Just to be clear, it's being reported that the posters aren't actually a part of the CE, but a pre-order bonus that can only be obtained in-store. Sorry importers. :(

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/important_xenoblade_pre_orders_from_game

what? thats a cruel joke, right?

i even bought a new picture frame for those posters, and now you are telling me that i am not getting them? -_-.
any options? italy? greece? spain? france?

edit: what about gamestation.co.uk/? any news on that?

vitacola

They must be kidding ...

Didn't someone in here ask an employee of GAME if the pre-order bonus is available in-store and he said "no"?

EDIT:

And why would Nintendo link to the website's search for Xenoblade?

To pre-order your copy of the game or the Xenoblade Chronicles bundle and to receive your special pre-order items ahead of the new release date, place an order at GAME or gamestation before the game is released across Europe on 19th August 2011.

Zwei

vitacola said:
And why would Nintendo link to the website's search for Xenoblade?

That's interesting. I took another look at Xenoblade's listing on GAME's website, and no mention of posters, tho. Just a CCPro + game bundle.

Zafir

Yeah I noticed that it wasn't mentioned. I figured they'd just forgotten to put it since the nintendo article said GAME would have them. >.<

Edit:
Just checked other european amazon websites. Namely France and Germany. Neither of those seem to mention a posters either, just the controller?

My friend works at GAME and says that while the computer system doesn't make mention of the posters, the mock-up preorder boxes do.

squall23

It's not a week before release yet. OTs can only be made at the farthest 1 week prior. So he probably has everything done just hasn't posted it yet.

Top Bottom