• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum

You know, I didn't even realize this, but the game has dynamic battle music. Sure, sure, it'll switch to the boss theme if a unique monster aggros while you're fighting something else, but that's not the only time it changes. While this is fairly early in the game, I'll go ahead and spoiler mark it anyway.

If I link to this music and do my best Shulk impression "The future... it's changing! ... Not gonna happen!" This is the vision comeback music. You've heard it so many times already, but if I hadn't just told you it was special event music and not just part of the boss themes, would you have noticed?
Also, don't look at the suggested video titles. They're kind of spoilery, too.

MicH

InsertNameHere said:
How much time do I have for the timed quests in
Alcamoth
?
I already went through
Prison Island
and they're still there, so quite some time. I was warned that they do expire without a warning.

x3r0123

Mr. Wonderful said:
So did Mitsuda do anything besides the ending song?

The main (title) theme, maybe?

i checked the ost and it says yoko shimomura

edit:
after checking more on the ost
this is what i found

Xenoblade ENDING THEME SONG -Beyond the Sky-

Composed & Arranged by
Yasunori Mitsuda (PROCYON STUDIO)

Strings Arranged by
Natsumi Kameoka (PROCYON STUDIO)

Original Lyrics by
Tetsuya Takahashi (MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC.)

English Translation by
Lisa Gomatomo

Vocal
Sarah Lim

Piano
Yoshihiko Ishizaka

Acoustic Guitar and Electric Guitar
Tomohiko Kira (ZABADAK)

Electric Bass
Hitoshi Watanabe (GEMMATIKA Records)

Drums
Yasuo Sano

Strings
Konno Strings

Programming and Keyboards

InsertNameHere said:
How much time do I have for the timed quests in
Alcamoth
?
A long, long time. When your typical enemies are level
(or above) thats when you should really, seriously think about finishing them off (there are approximately
in total for that area). Also don't miss the
Red Pollen sidequest chain that is unlocked in Frontier village at a similar time to entering Alcamoth
as that is tied to the same timer.

McNum said:
You know, I didn't even realize this, but the game has dynamic battle music.
I noticed it a lot when
people got incapicated
or
parties tension hit rock bottom

As for the track you linked to, I would have guessed that was from Excite Truck had someone just showed it to me with no context.

McNum

I love dynamic battle music, it's one of the things that I really like in Skies of Arcadia, too. It's so satisfying to make the music go from crisis to awesome in one turn in that game. Plus, it did the classic Sega thing and used the Blue rogues theme at full blast as the final boss "Awesome!" theme. I wish more games would use the main character theme at the final boss. Sonic is the only game series I know that does that consistently.

EDIT: Can't forget Valkyria Chronicles' take on the Squad 7 theme for the final fight, too.

Dascu

MicH said:
I already went through
Prison Island
and they're still there, so quite some time. I was warned that they do expire without a warning.
Regarding "without warning": it's not as if you suddenly enter a new area and poof, the quests are all gone. It happens at a moment where you know that the story is going to have some important developments, but it's just not immediately obvious that those quests will become unavailable.

I posted a clearer indication earlier: once the enemies start hitting level 65 and up, you should look into doing any timed quests you still have going.

Dragon

Banned
I GOT THE GAME!!!!!!

Wahooo!

I guess talking shit about Game made them listen and get it to me.

Now to just not play all night!

ivysaur12 said:
The actual plot of the first Baten Kaitos might be better on a grander scale - it's a bit more epic, but not nearly as well realized as it should have been. It has a few really good plot twists, and has an extremely epic last part. The characters are fairly wooden, but are fleshed out a bit with the character quests at the end.

Origins' story line is not nearly as grand in scope, but it's extremely well done. The characters are fantastic, some of the best in the generation. Even some of the main characters in Baten Kaitos are better developed in Origins. It's an extremely well-written, well-voiced story.
Yup. Baten Kaitos Origins is so tight it makes my penis hard just like that. Every damn time.

It's actually tighter than Xenoblade, but then again Xenoblade's scale makes up for it.

Monolith <3

MicH

Dascu said:
Regarding "without warning": it's not as if you suddenly enter a new are and poof, the quests are all gone. It happens at a moment where you know that the story is going to have some important developments, but it's just not immediately obvious that those quests will become unavailable.

I posted a clearer indication earlier: once the enemies start hitting level 65 and up, you should look into doing any timed quests you still have going.
Ah okay, yeah we've got a lot of time to complete them, then.

I cannot wait to progress with the story. It is incredibly enticing, but I also want to do some of the quests. I've never done this in a game before. Incredible!

Fritz

I kinda wish RPGCrazied's Shulk avatar would change according to rage level. We're feeling for you and, boy, when you get the game eventually we're all gonna party with you.

Andrew.

Banned
Sadist...i didnt even notice till just now....but i love the way you put the Gaf symbol in the middle of the Monado on the cover for the thread. Very Cool! :-D

dock

Loving this game. I'm only about ten hours in, but plenty has happened and I feel as though there's plenty to do at all times.

I have been enjoying the game much more since I learned to let go and accept that I don't need to know what every bar, gauge and mechanic in the game is. It's a lot like an MMO in that it immediately exposes you to a lot of different types of activity, but I'm certain you can get away without doing plenty of the stuff. Trading items with people, for example, is something I don't understand.

Just like good, old and deep games, I'll pick it up naturally as a I go along and enjoy the ride much moreso because of it. It's nice not to be babied. :)

Yuterald

I just reached what is apparently the half way point in the game. I just saw all the cutscenes/revelations on
Prison Island
and my jaw dropped. This game is a CLASSIC. I don't understand how good it is, lol! The plot is getting really, really good. If anyone doubted this game didn't have a Xeno-vibe wait until you get to the half way point/revelation. This game is incredible!

McNum said:
You know, I didn't even realize this, but the game has dynamic battle music. Sure, sure, it'll switch to the boss theme if a unique monster aggros while you're fighting something else, but that's not the only time it changes. While this is fairly early in the game, I'll go ahead and spoiler mark it anyway.

If I link to this music and do my best Shulk impression "The future... it's changing! ... Not gonna happen!" This is the vision comeback music. You've heard it so many times already, but if I hadn't just told you it was special event music and not just part of the boss themes, would you have noticed?
Also, don't look at the suggested video titles. They're kind of spoilery, too.
I caught onto this, it certainly raises the tension level, giving off a "ah crap" sort of vibe when the music switch occurs.
On a slightly related note I love how this battle theme starts off like "woah! here comes trouble!" for the unique monster but slowly gets more kind of motivational for lack of a better term round about 55 seconds in. Put simply it gets me pumped.

Oxx

Exactly 30 hours on the clock now.

I had an absolutely huge day in terms of clearing out quests. All the unique monsters I needed to kill suddenly respawned and I seemingly opened-up a whole load of new quests in
Satorl
. And that's on top of existing and fresh ones in Colony 9.

It has been about three days since I last even thought about main quest stuff.

M_Night said:
This track is sooooooo amazing!

If you've passed Colony 9 then you would've heard it. Potential spoilers in the comments so don't read them.

So good.

MicH

Finally triggered the lost son quest in Colony 9 and apparently already had all the items, lol :D Love them easy quests.

Gvaz

Banned
manueldelalas said:
I love Xenoblade.

Question, how are their other games?

I played the DBZ DS game (pretty meh IMO), Soma Bringer (didn't like it, GAF hype case) and Disaster (also meh).

Is Baten Kaitos better? should I play both or only the second one?
Xenosaga and Xenogears own (except xenosaga 2, just get the cliffnotes on that one and avoid)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Fritz said:
I kinda wish RPGCrazied's Shulk avatar would change according to rage level. We're feeling for you and, boy, when you get the game eventually we're all gonna party with you.

Nah I'm not feeling for him. I hope he never gets the game and cries into his mommy's lap about it until he drowns in his tears.

10 hours into the second playthrough, I'm at the part where a lot of sidequests become unavailable, so I'm touring those locations to do every timed quests.

I told myself I wasn't doing a second playthrough, and look at that, one day after declaring I finally could stop my first playthrough and put the game to rest, 10 hours have passed and I'm almost at the end once again ><

Zafir

RPGCrazied said:
How is gameseek? Last place I'm going to try. $13 more than Zavvi, and had $7 in shipping. Was like $60 in total.
As in said in the Xenoblade out of stock thread, I don't recommend them. They're stock status' on games aren't very truthful. Even though it says 2 to 3 days, in the past I've had it take a few months before they even ship it out.

KarmaCow

Just reached the the big 100 hours and I'm liking the end game a bit more. I was a bit worried about it being really grindy to get to 99 but there have been some quests and fighting monsters have been fun.
I like big numbers so fighting like 8 Telethia at once with chain attacks is great. It's almost the point where I can start another chain attack as soon the last one ends.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Woah, I just got the game in the mail.

Is-This-Real-Life.jpg

McNum

Today was a good day in sidequesting. Got Colony 9 up to not 2, but 3 stars. And
Hidden Machina Village
up to 2. Now when does Desiree cough up the quest I really want?
For Shulk's 4th skill tree?
Do I need 4 stars for that? I got some outstanding quests, so it can be done. I'll need to get practically everywhere up to 4 to get all of these quests, won't I? That'll be... fun.

Also, a somewhat embarrassing question, the quest "A Thank You" where I just need to exit the mine and go left to find something good. I can't find it. I exit and go left, and there's a small area with a tree in it, but no ! letting me dig.

Let me in

McNum said:
Also, a somewhat embarrassing question, the quest "A Thank You" where I just need to exit the mine and go left to find something good. I can't find it. I exit and go left, and there's a small area with a tree in it, but no ! letting me dig.
The exit is located after the cave where you fought the
spider boss
. i.e. the beginning of the
Bionis's Leg.
. I think you can teleport directly there.

Since someone mentioned best music...
I'd like to go all out with my adoration for various tracks in this game but since a lot of people are still playing i'll just mention two. Mandatory avoid youtube comment sections for potential spoilers but you likely already knew that.

Satorl Marsh Night
Absolutely blew me away, it was unexpected and it was glorious.

Memories
A remix of the main theme if i'm not mistaken,almost makes me feel nostalgic now i've finished the game but I guess it's far too early to be feeling nostalgic.

McNum

Let me in said:
The exit is located after the cave where you fought the
spider boss
. i.e. the beginning of the
Bionis's Leg.
. I think you can teleport directly there.
Ah, I've been barking up the wrong tree, then. I was looking at the Colony 9 exit, not the
Leg
exit.

I've also started rotating who leads when doing quests. Some of them have funny lines when accepting and completing quests. Try having
Melia
lead with
Sharla
in the party. The line
Melia
gives when
Sharla
asks her to speak less formal is just funny.

Just curious, how are Zavvi orders from the US doing?

Tomorrow will be three weeks for me, although I'm not really being impatient about it (still playing 4HoL on DS at the moment).

Let me in

Yeah, just recently I've started throwing some different parties together; the variety of dialogue between the party combos was surprising. I like that they're funny and character-appropriate.

PixyJunket said:
Just curious, how are Zavvi orders from the US doing?

Tomorrow will be three weeks for me, although I'm not really being impatient about it (still playing 4HoL on DS at the moment).
Some have arrived, several haven't.

You seem to have a good attitude about it, though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hello,

I'm about 20 hours in, and I've just gotten to the
Makna Forest.
This game is absolutely amazing.

Anyone who's beaten the game, can you answer a question I have regarding a guess I have about a possible upcoming plot twist?
Is the face Mechon who killed Shulk's girlfriend the 3rd guy from the prologue? The one who ran away? I'm guessing because they're the same voice. I know Norio Wakamoto's voice anywhere.
A simple Yes or No will do. ^^

Aeana

RurouniZel said:
Hello,

I'm about 20 hours in, and I've just gotten to the
Makna Forest.
This game is absolutely amazing.

Anyone who's beaten the game, can you answer a question I have regarding a guess I have about a possible upcoming plot twist?
Is the face Mechon who killed Shulk's girlfriend the 3rd guy from the prologue? The one who ran away? I'm guessing because they're the same voice. I know Norio Wakamoto's voice anywhere.
A simple Yes or No will do. ^^
Yes.

MetatronM said:
I avoided him every time I went through the Exile Fortress.

I'm sure I could handle him and his goons pretty easily at this point (level 40).

do it man. Do it for me

p.s. he actually keeps chasing you outside the fortress and til the obelisk....I didn't want his Decapitation one-shot :/

Vamphuntr

I'm now at Valek Mountain. The fetch quests are seriously starting to annoy me. Moreover, from what I've read you need a Lvl 4 affinity in most areas to get the extra skill trees for your party members. Those annoying thrash quests are really bringing the game down for me. At least the story is ok and interesting so far. I wonder what will happen with Chaos 2.0 .

LProtag

Oh man, just got done with the events on
Prison Island
and even though I pretty much saw everything coming, it's such good storytelling.

So good.

mandiller

I just started the game and I've got a quick question. I'm in the first town (Colony 9) and have accepted a bunch of quests, however I have no idea where to go to do the quests.

For example, I need to go to the residential district to deliver some biscuits. I've found the residential district but I can't find the kids. There's no waypoint showing me where to go (is there?). I also accepted some quests to kill some creatures on a beach somewhere, however, I have no idea where this beach is.

Is there really no on screen aid to show me where I need to go? Am I missing something?

LProtag

mandiller said:
I just started the game and I've got a quick question. I'm in the first town (Colony 9) and have accepted a bunch of quests, however I have no idea where to go to do the quests.

For example, I need to go to the residential district to deliver some biscuits. I've found the residential district but I can't find the kids. There's no waypoint showing me where to go (is there?). I also accepted some quests to kill some creatures on a beach somewhere, however, I have no idea where this beach is.

Is there really no on screen aid to show me where I need to go? Am I missing something?

Stuff like the biscuits, people only show up at certain times... I think he's around in the evening. There will be a red ! on your map showing something important for a quest, like a person you need to talk to or an item you need to pick up. As for enemy quests, I usually try to get as many as possible and then while exploring or continuing the story I usually fulfill them along the way. Sometimes the quest screen gives you a hint as to what part of the map they're on.

mandiller said:

you have to check the affinity page. some people are there at a certain time.

Top Bottom