• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Chesskid1

Banned
didnt' feel like leaving my friends with problems left to be solved.

i thought they would eventually stop popping up but 10 hours later and level 22 i'm still solving their problems, but at least everyone is happier now. i think it's almost time to move on cause no more quests are popping up.

if the next couple towns are the same quest wise i'm gonna go insane. i'm usually not a completionist, but i usually just try to finish all sidequests in an area before i move on. may have to break this habit.

most RPGs don't have this many sidequests, xenoblade has tons and tons like an MMO.

ivysaur12

Banned
Does anyone know if there are any stores in LA that specialize in imports that might have the game from Europe? Or should I just bite the bullet and order it?

Every time I come to this thread I have to forcibly read my entire backlog to convince myself that digging my Wii out of my closet and importing this can wait.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Every time I come to this thread I have to forcibly read my entire backlog to convince myself that digging my Wii out of my closet and importing this can wait.

:/ missing out on what may end up being your GOTY it is my

RPGCrazied

If anyone beats it, gets bored, and wants to resell it, I'll buy it from you. If you live in the U.S that is. I got my $$$$ back. (said it would take 5 days or so to show up)

RPGCrazied said:
If anyone beats it, gets bored, and wants to resell it, I'll buy it from you. If you live in the U.S that is. I got my $$$$ back. (said it would take 5 days or so to show up)
and ask for tracking number too!

Gvaz said:
I didn't know you could get to level 22 without leaving colony 9 Jesus christ.

dudes gotta be a veteran of classic FF grinding if he was able to hang around C9 long enough to reach that high of a level. I dont know whether to shake my head or think it's cool.

JumpingTheGun said:
dudes gotta be a veteran of classic FF grinding if he was able to hang around C9 long enough to reach that high of a level. I dont know whether to shake my head or think it's cool.
I'm impressed, honestly. I was pretty proud of myself when I found out how to grind to the mid-40s before I left the Gaur Plains, but Lvl 22 without leaving the first area? Yikes.

Sadist

Starwolf_UK said:
Don't do what Sadist did (start a new game then overwrite the old save). Oh snap I guess by the edit you figured something out, sounds like that'll get you on the right track, what might also help
I played as someone who drew agro and tried to get myself into the centre of the area as it would save me being pushed around and also keep the same happening to the AI buddies
:'(

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
Don't do what Sadist did (start a new game then overwrite the old save). Oh snap I guess by the edit you figured something out, sounds like that'll get you on the right track, what might also help
I played as someone who drew agro and tried to get myself into the centre of the area as it would save me being pushed around and also keep the same happening to the AI buddies
i beat her @ 72~73.
2 points
1.equip anti terrain dmg gems.
2.use melia to kill 2 lights.
at the 5th battle against her i won. The trick was to usa melia, she is awesome in this battle.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
JumpingTheGun said:

I was 19 at around the same time. If you do all the quests, collecting, and exploring it isn't too bad and it can be pretty addictive. But then I just rushed through 2 areas until I got to challenging enemies again...

SecretMoblin said:
I'm impressed, honestly. I was pretty proud of myself when I found out how to grind to the mid-40s before I left the Gaur Plains, but Lvl 22 without leaving the first area? Yikes.

You were in your mid level 40's when you first left Gaur Plains? Wow.

JumpingTheGun said:
You were in your mid level 40's when you first left Gaur Plains? Wow.
Pretty simple:
Did all the quests I could, leveled up on those two giant turtles that roam around the middle of the Plains, then when my level was near 40 I went back to Colony 9 and killed the ~Lvl 40 monsters on one of the shores and in the cave. Took very little time, and it allowed me to run around and explore the next several areas without having to engage in battle with enemies.

Sadist

About a quest in Satorl Marsh

I have to defeat 5 Ignas on the highest plateau of Dark Swamp and I can only think of one place but they aren't there. (Secret area plateau) Where are they?

Leeness

RPGCrazied said:

Glad you got your money back.

I think there was someone in the thread who said he'd sell you his second copy or something? I don't remember who, but it was like, a week back.

Good luck, man. I hope you get to play it soon.

McNum said:
Yes. Yes it is one of those games. "Just one more quest...", "I just want to see what's over that hill", or "I'll just see what happens in this cutscene, then I'll go to be- BOSS FIGHT!"

All based on a true story. Not quite as evil as Civilization, but in the league just below.

Haha, yep, pretty much. I had to force myself to turn it off last night. I'm in the story sections of Colony 9 and it was just like (character spoiler after visiting Tephra Cave and subsequent story happenings in Colony 9)
"must get to Fiora, but man, I already know she dies, do I really want to see that tonight?! BUT NOW I HAVE MONADO AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO JUST SAVE IT AND TURN IT OFF"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sadist said:

I have to defeat 5 Ignas on the highest plateau of Dark Swamp and I can only think of one place but they aren't there. (Secret area plateau) Where are they?
They are
on the opposite side of the Dark Swamp from the secret area. There's some roundabout way of getting up there that I don't remember right now.

MetatronM said:
They are
on the opposite side of the Dark Swamp from the secret area. There's some roundabout way of getting up there that I don't remember right now.
Plus, they're all there at the same time, so you won't need to go running around looking for them.

Hiltz

Sadist said:

To get there,warp to Silent Obelisk, go north a bit to get to white trail and walk east, withcamera pointing south until you spot a cave. Run through the cave to get to Deluded Ignas, kill them, check the tree for Giants' Key, go to Exile Fortress and
examine Wall of Sin behind the throne, go thru the corridor to emerge on topof the fort, examine the altar, return to Kacha.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anasui Kishibe said:
man, this Reckless Godwin Igna is kicking me arse. It made my party look like a bunch of jokers

I'm level 33 and his attacks are...jesus.
I avoided him every time I went through the Exile Fortress.

I'm sure I could handle him and his goons pretty easily at this point (level 40).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sonofabitch. It as NOT my Xenoblade. It was my stupid Deus Ex guide I ordered 9 decades ago. Bah. Xeno was the only thing I had ordered for a quite a while. Surprised. Oh well.

Re skill links: Whatever you can afford really, but its not that important. For instance I'd have a number of "battle party" skills on several members which is a waste of coins as you only need them on one character.

I'm in favor of AP boosting and weight reduction (more like buffer) though. If always nice to have more AP to spend on upgrading artes and have a bit more agility in battle.

Be weary of %ages though as they might not be as great as you think (one is particular is rather overrated) as 10% of nothing is still nothing for instance.

Speaking of music. I'll get off my chest a technical error I noticed. The colony 9 night time theme (not in the town but rather the fields). The loop start point (or end point) is set in the wrong place. Stay in the area and at ~3:14 and you'll hear it kind of jump a note (I assume its a limitation of ADX only having loop point at whole second numbers and maybe the rhythm doesn't allow you to set a point easily). This doesn't seem to occur on the OST though (probably due to the OST being made from the source files which wouldn't have the same technical limitation).

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
So what was their story? Did they just never send it out?

RPGCrazied

TheExodu5 said:
So what was their story? Did they just never send it out?

I got this:

Thanks for your email. I am sorry that you have not received your order.

Your item was sent out to you on 15/8/11 and we would have expected it to arrive with you by now.

I will put a trace on your item and investigate further. In the meantime I will arrange a refund for you.

You will receive an e-mail once your replacement has been sent out.

Kind regards
Nancy

Then this:

We can confirm that the refund for the products listed below has been successful. This will show on your credit card statement within 5 working days

Your Order: 16639982
Quantity Title Refunded Price
1 Xenoblade Chronicles GBP 29.85

Should you need any further help, please contact one of our customer service colleagues and they will be happy to help.

Kind Regards,

zavvi

waytofailself

Neo Member
I ordered on the 6th. That's July 6th through ASDA. Order shipped on August 15, 2011.

Finally made my first mail contact with them because I have not received my copy of the game. It has been what, 16 business days (US). Knowing my luck it will show up on my door step while I'm out of town this weekend and some bratty neighbor kid will run by, grab it, and cry about why it won't work on his Wii.

On the bright side, at least I was able to borrow my friend's copy while he went out of town and managed to play 40 hours or so. I made it all the way to Sword Valley. I swear though, that is such a huge transition point it is both kind good and kinda really sucking that is where I had to break off.

Now that I think of it, I cannot think of the last console RPG that took me 40 hours for an entire play through. Amazing.

Kjellson

Has anyone gotten the Black Liver Bean? Does it actually exist? Is it just a legend passed down by generations?

The worst thing is that you need two of these fuckers...

MicH

Still no game from GAME for me and they still haven't responded to my e-mails. Those fuckers. I want my money back, god damn :(

daakusedo

Kjellson said:
Has anyone gotten the Black Liver Bean? Does it actually exist? Is it just a legend passed down by generations?

The worst thing is that you need two of these fuckers...

There are hard to find but there are
inside bionis
I have to get another one to see if it can be trade with the aubergine at 42000g.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I love Xenoblade.

Question, how are their other games?

I played the DBZ DS game (pretty meh IMO), Soma Bringer (didn't like it, GAF hype case) and Disaster (also meh).

Is Baten Kaitos better? should I play both or only the second one?

Let me in

BK series is good. Might not be totally representative of Monolith since they had help from Tri-crescendo on both. The second game is more enjoyable if you've played the first (for the story) but is quite good on its own. Better gameplay than the first.

manueldelalas said:
I love Xenoblade.

Question, how are their other games?

I played the DBZ DS game (pretty meh IMO), Soma Bringer (didn't like it, GAF hype case) and Disaster (also meh).

Play both if you want, but if you only want just one, BKO is the much better game.

Alrus

manueldelalas said:

The first one has a relatively slow battle system, terrible voice acting and while the story is decent, it takes a lot of time to get started. I still enjoyed it a lot, I like card based battles.

Origins streamlines the battle system and makes it a lot more dynamic, it's really enjoyable and fun. The Voice acting is a lot better too. As for the story, I haven't played enough yet to say anything, but the characters are great so far :)

If you only want to play one of them, I would go with Origins.

ivysaur12

Banned
Alrus said:
The first one has a relatively slow battle system, terrible voice acting and while the story is decent, it takes a lot of time to get started. I still enjoyed it a lot, I like card based battles.

Origins streamlines the battle system and makes it a lot more dynamic, it's really enjoyable and fun. The Voice acting is a lot better too. As for the story, I haven't played enough yet to say anything, but the characters are great so far :)

The actual plot of the first Baten Kaitos might be better on a grander scale - it's a bit more epic, but not nearly as well realized as it should have been. It has a few really good plot twists, and has an extremely epic last part. The characters are fairly wooden, but are fleshed out a bit with the character quests at the end.

Origins' story line is not nearly as grand in scope, but it's extremely well done. The characters are fantastic, some of the best in the generation. Even some of the main characters in Baten Kaitos are better developed in Origins. It's an extremely well-written, well-voiced story.

jgwhiteus

Let me in said:
BK series is good. Might not be totally representative of Monolith since they had help from Tri-crescendo on both. The second game is more enjoyable if you've played the first (for the story) but is quite good on its own. Better gameplay than the first.

I liked the combat in the first BK a bit better than in Origins because it seemed like there was more of a point to deck building and to all those weapon cards. But the plot, characters, and especially voice acting are better in Origins for me (in the first BK it sounds like they recorded the voices on a bad mic in the bathroom or something).

On Xenoblade: man, I've already been wiped out so many times in the first few hours (wasn't expecting a stupid caterpillar that was the same level I was to pack so much punch), which frankly I'm not used to in RPG's. But it's not a bad thing - just encourages me to grind a bit, to actually think about what I'm doing in tough battles, and to flee encounters. I do think the item management system and the menus could be a bit better, though, or maybe I'm just not used to them yet. EDIT: and I've lost count of how many times I haven't been able to select a target because I've belatedly realized that the menu bar is still up.

I've been impressed with the voice acting for the English dub so far - seems a bit more natural and less wooden than the voice acting for the past few FF games, at least.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Mr. Wonderful said:
So did Mitsuda do anything besides the ending song?

The main (title) theme, maybe?

No, I'm pretty sure he only did the ending song. The title theme was Shimomura I believe? It definitely sounds like her work.

Top Bottom