• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

About to head to P.I.

45 hours or so clocked.

Are the timed quests ending any time soon, or do I have a bit of time to get to them? I keep freaking out, worrying they're going to close on me.

McNum

BlazingDarkness said:
The story cutscenes will keep you playing, trust me
It's true. Think you got the story figured out? You don't. Trust me, you're not going to guess what's going to happen 20-30 levels from where you are. I had all kinds of decent guesses, and I still got completely blindsided by -redacted-. Best part is, now that I haven't said what it is, you'll think you've seen the twist I'm thinking of since there are some good ones in the near future, but...

Gvaz

Banned
timetokill said:
About to head to P.I.

45 hours or so clocked.

Are the timed quests ending any time soon, or do I have a bit of time to get to them? I keep freaking out, worrying they're going to close on me.
You have a while to do them. Try to do them all BEFORE you start heading
to the mechonis
At least the ones in Alcamoth.

Speaking of story -- prediction time! I'm just about to head to P.I., so you know where I am.

I keep expecting
Fiora and Gadot to show up again, but this time as mechon people... and that I'll have to somehow defeat them to rescue them from their mechon prison bodies or something. I also kind of expect the High Entia chick that tried to have Melia killed is conspiring with the Mechon leaders. At any rate, I expect to have Fiora back in my party again somehow.

So anyway, yeah, that's what it seems like to me so far.

Gvaz said:
You have a while to do them. Try to do them all BEFORE you start heading
to the mechonis
At least the ones in Alcamoth.

Thanks! Good to know.

Gvaz

Banned
timetokill said:
I keep expecting
Fiora and Gadot to show up again, but this time as mechon people... and that I'll have to somehow defeat them to rescue them from their mechon prison bodies or something. I also kind of expect the High Entia chick that tried to have Melia killed is conspiring with the Mechon leaders. At any rate, I expect to have Fiora back in my party again somehow.

What makes you think those things? :)

RPGCrazied

Damn, most of these zones have things in their 90's. :p Thank god some of them don't aggro. I'm like 46.

Heart to Heart question. I don't use riki or the girls, ever, so affinity with them are shit. If I never use them or gift them, I guess I'll never see their heart to hearts? I'm missing quite a few.

I use Shulk, Reyn and Dunban. I've only seen like 6 or 7. Are there no more for these 3?

Pikma

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
Gaf,

Is it possible to play the game off a harddrive?

Looks like I am unable to boot both Brawl and Xenoblade, two dual layered games, from my harddrive and I have no idea why (ripping using 25th red anniversary mario Wii)

That's a common issue. You could always order a Wii Lens Cleaning Kit from Nintendo themselves*. I ordered mine so when the game shipped I wouldn't have your same problem, but guess what? I have yet to find the game. lol

*http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/acc/cleaningKit.jsp

It's just $9.99 btw. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
RPGCrazied said:
Damn, most of these zones have things in their 90's. :p Thank god some of them don't aggro. I'm like 46.

Heart to Heart question. I don't use riki or the girls, ever, so affinity with them are shit. If I never use them or gift them, I guess I'll never see their heart to hearts? I'm missing quite a few.

I use Shulk, Reyn and Dunban. I've only seen like 6 or 7. Are there no more for these 3?

Why wouldn't you want to raise affinity with the girls? Melia, for example, has a +50 ether skill on one of her skill lines that you can link to everyone else, and Sharla even goes as far as +70 (IIRC) in
her 4th skill line
. Not to mention stuff like added agility skills that you can link to Dunban and stuff.

One of the quests in Colony 9 also require high affinities between the girls.

Also, random Xenoblade facts of the day: you can skip the intermediate skill book altogether if you have an advanced skill book for a skill

Gvaz

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
Why wouldn't you want to raise affinity with the girls? Melia, for example, has a +50 ether skill on one of her skill lines that you can link to everyone else, and Sharla even goes as far as +70 (IIRC) in
her 4th skill line
. Not to mention stuff like added agility skills that you can link to Dunban and stuff.

One of the quests in Colony 9 also require high affinities between the girls.

Also, random Xenoblade facts of the day: you can skip the intermediate skill book altogether if you have an advanced skill book for a skill
wait what? the buffs are nowhere near that high

F#A#Oo

Banned
I now understand the thread title...lol

Just started...the first thing that hit me is the amount of quests...I can easily see myself getting side quest fatigue...and the problem is I never like leaving quests open once I accept them...so yeah this game is real trouble for me who is kinda a completitonist...

Leeness

Aw shit, P.I.

That was crazy. Awesome use of the main theme in that scene, too. Is that the only time in game that it plays?

Also, all the timed quests in the area, (speculation)
what the heck is going to happen to Alcamoth? Haha. How long do I have to do these quests?

Pikma

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
Gotcha! So my lens isn't clean enough to rip my dual layered games properly? (even though it doesn't have any problems ripping one layered?)

Yes, I forgot to clarify what the issue was haha, sorry, but yeah, that's pretty much it, this ends happening to most Wiis after 2-3 years of use, they gather dust and aren't able to properly read dual-layered discs anymore.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gvaz said:
wait what? the buffs are nowhere near that high

The bottom part for the middle skill line of Melia alone confers +50 ether. IIRC Sharla has a similar skill tree as well that upgraded +ether in a large number.

RPGCrazied

I just saw the cutscenes in Valek Mountains. I just knew
Mumkhar was Metal Face!
Story is getting very interesting now. Cutscenes only get better and better in this game.

Just got to Sword Valley.

*shipped*

Waiting patiently, checking out this topic, trying not to spoil too much stuff, but learn hints about the game so i'm not too lost in what i'm understanding to be a gigantic world.

anaron

Just reached frontier village...the setting, the MUSIC!

1zxrrk0.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
anaron said:
Just reached frontier village...the setting, the MUSIC!

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zxrrk0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Relish that thought. Relish that feeling.

Because soon that feeling will be replaced with anger as soon as you realize that you need to scour all those 8 floors looking for or finishing quests :(

Laughing Banana said:
Relish that thought. Relish that feeling.

Because soon that feeling will be replaced with anger as soon as you realize that you need to scour all those 8 floors looking for or finishing quests :(
This is so true. What a way to ruin a location.

Still going to love going back to it on my NG+, though...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
iamaustrian said:
Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?

is it Ryen or Shulk?

most badass line in fighting is from
Dunban
:
We choose to FIGHT!!

Reyn.

I thought 'Piece of Cake!' is Reyn at first, but then I realized it's Shulk.

On a random note, what kind of name is 'Shulk' anyways?

Laughing Banana said:
Reyn.

I thought 'Piece of Cake!' is Reyn at first, but then I realized it's Shulk.

On a random note, what kind of name is 'Shulk' anyways?

I dunno exactly.

What i know is that an area in Morrowind was named Shulk.

also isn't the female version of Hulk named "Shulk"(She-Hulk)?

Ulthwe said:
Is
Riki
any worth? I've just gotten him and I already feel apathy towards the character.

I got to like him quite a bit. (Minor character traits ahead):

He can nick items (usually worthless but sometimes helpful for quests), EXP and AP and eventually a decent heal spell that targets one character but if the other one is in the line of fire, heals that one as well (plus himself I think).

mclem

Gvaz said:
What makes you think those things? :)

Here's my comments on that (knowing how things pan out) (DO NOT READ if you're not seeing L60+ enemies as standard, and have unlocked the last section of the affinity chart.)

There's some spoilers in the game which could have been covered up better

I had an acheivement which stated "Have Fiora give lots of items to that special someone" - paraphrased - which just isn't realistic in the early situations so must mean she reappears. There's also a clear imbalance in the party icon on the affinity chart which indicates that there's likely to be another party member after you have six.

Finally, if you sit on the title screen for long enough, and go through a lot of the flythroughs of game environments, there's one for Fallen Arm which very clearly rests on Fiora's destroyed Mechon body at one point. If you see that after you've seen the Silver Mechon - so are able to understand exactly what you're seeing - it's easy to figure out what'll happen.

It's deducible from non-story information in the game, which is unfortunate, but it's easy to miss, unless you're pretty observant.

mclem

Laughing Banana said:
The bottom part for the middle skill line of Melia alone confers +50 ether. IIRC Sharla has a similar skill tree as well that upgraded +ether in a large number.

Speaking of which, does +ether boost healing?

ew, question about Emmy Leater...
In her final quest I gave her the shield and she lost, got very angry at me and left the colony. So I reloaded the game, got her the sword (although I didn't exactly want to, because it felt too much like cheating) and she left the colony

now I just want to find her to punch her blurry face. Where'd she go? Will I see her again?

Anasui Kishibe said:
In her final quest I gave her the shield and she lost, got very angry at me and left the colony. So I reloaded the game, got her the sword (although I didn't exactly want to, because it felt too much like cheating) and she left the colony

now I just want to find her to punch her blurry face. Where'd she go? Will I see her again?
Yes, there will be another final quest with her.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Just hit lv 70 but I'm having a problem. Full disclosure: all parts of Colony 6 are at lv 0.
I'm just entering the Bionis Interior and the leveling curve just went from below where I was to well past where I am. Enemies are 3-5 levels above me and getting very hard to impossible to kill.

Obviously this means I need to backtrack, but to where? All of the colony 6 stuff gives me practically no XP, and I've finished every quest I could do with the mainline story. Where does that leave me? Grinding enemies or do some new quests pop up (I got the ones for building more replica Monados, I'm just look for other basic ones).

If I do have to grind, where are some good spots? Also, do any new quests appear at the Mechnois capital?

Thanks. The leveling curve just took me off guard and I'm just trying to make it through the story this play through more so I can enjoy the side questing next time on my "take my time" play through.

MicH

Enemy at lvl 78 spoilers
So at the Behemoth Nest in Prison Island and I have to beat these two Mammoth things at lvl 78 and I just can't. I suppose you ARE supposed to beat them, right? I can't begin a fight without the other one joining in :( Any tips? I'm at lvl 74. Too low?

MicH

waytofailself said:
Just hit lv 70 but I'm having a problem. Full disclosure: all parts of Colony 6 are at lv 0.
I'm just entering the Bionis Interior and the leveling curve just went from below where I was to well past where I am. Enemies are 3-5 levels above me and getting very hard to impossible to kill.

Obviously this means I need to backtrack, but to where? All of the colony 6 stuff gives me practically no XP, and I've finished every quest I could do with the mainline story. Where does that leave me? Grinding enemies or do some new quests pop up (I got the ones for building more replica Monados, I'm just look for other basic ones).

If I do have to grind, where are some good spots? Also, do any new quests appear at the Mechnois capital?

Thanks. The leveling curve just took me off guard and I'm just trying to make it through the story this play through more so I can enjoy the side questing next time on my "take my time" play through.
I had the exact same problem as you a few days ago. I leveled a bit on the enemies in the areas (you should be able to beat them one by one). I also went back to Gaur Plains and fought some of the lvl 75 Gogols near the north end of the bridge. I didn't do this until lvl 71, though. But yeah, all the enemies from now on just skyrocket in levels.

EDIT: Doublepost, sorry

waytofailself said:

Late game spoiler:

I'm very sorry if I spoil something unintentionally here, but surely you know that the Mechonis capital is no longer available, right? It's on your list of maps but at that phase of the game, you shouldn't be able to return there any more once you reach Bionis Interior.

There's a few quests scattered around, but they'll be higher level quests than you are at right now. Remember that path littered with level 70+ monsters in Windy Cave? Might be worth a pop - just be very careful.

waytofailself said:

I'm shortly before where you are in the story, and here is my current leveling path:
Head to Colony 9 and go to the shore hugging the north wall just east of the military base. There are tons of flamii and fish there, and with just a few save/reloads it can get you a few levels.

Then, go to the Bionis Leg and fight all those hoxes on the platforms near the Raguel Bridge -- they are in the 73-74 range, and there are tons of them. Eventually, you should be able to take on the nearby gogols roaming around, and that should get you to the mid-70s at least. Obviously, things go faster with EXP gems, killing monsters during chain attacks, and proper skill linkage.

Also, the Windy Cave is a good spot if you get bored and want a change of scenery.

I've just started the game, have played for 4.5 hours and I'm about to go to the first mission outside of the town. I have done about 10 side quests and have already died three or four times in battle by that monster by the shore...lol.

Do you think this will take me aaages to finish at this rate (>100 hrs)? I am a bit OCD about completing side quests etc.

Edit: Forgot to say... I love it!

Dascu

MicH said:
Enemy at lvl 78 spoilers
So at the Behemoth Nest in Prison Island and I have to beat these two Mammoth things at lvl 78 and I just can't. I suppose you ARE supposed to beat them, right? I can't begin a fight without the other one joining in :( Any tips? I'm at lvl 74. Too low?
I don't think you have to beat them. However, the next couple of bosses are several levels above you (lvl78 and up), so you'll have to grind a bit anyway.

ramyeon

Anasui Kishibe said:

If you gave her the sword she hasnt left the colony. But everyone hates her for cheating. I think Miller has the final quest involving her later on.

RPGCrazied said:
I just saw the cutscenes in Valek Mountains. I just knew
Mumkhar was Metal Face!
Story is getting very interesting now. Cutscenes only get better and better in this game.

Just got to Sword Valley.

Well I really should have avoided this.

guek said:
hey guys, so my game keep resetting for some unknown reason after the lastest cutscene I've gotten to. No idea how to fix it.

Could someone download my save file and save over it right after the cutscene ends? Here's the link to the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?wd11c7rgqdymoc0
I'll give it a try soon, unless somebody already tried. I don't know if save transferring works though.

Anyway, finally beat that optional Mechon I was having trouble with.
I just needed to be careful to get Monado->Purge ready around the 1/4 -> 1/3 HP mark. Already beat it three times now, just need one more time to get the last Night Vision cylinder. I guess I could try getting Heat Sink as well...

Top Bottom