• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
The CC Pro isn't any different to the original, its just got handles.
And a different shoulder button arrangement plus a slightly different feel to the buttons.

Though as far as software is concerned, they're exactly the same thing.

10+ hours in:

Boy, this game is deep. Battle system and world exploration are of incredible quality. The game has also a crazy "affinity" system where it displays your relationship with all the characters of the world, including all the NPC's!

Graphics are still awful but I'm slowly appreciating more the world design. It evokes the feeling that we got with FFXII, a hybrid of JRPG's and World of Warcraft. I can't wait for Monolith's first Wii U title.

Shiggy

Luigiv said:
And a different shoulder button arrangement plus a slightly different feel to the buttons.

Though as far as software is concerned, they're exactly the same thing.

Are the buttons and the digipad still as "clicky"? I didn't really like how they felt on the original CC.

wsippel

Banned
Keasar said:
Even that wouldnt save her, I am still mentally brainfucked by her absolute incompetence to be a near-human being. So many random stupid things she constantly did. Like a favorite part of mine where you and your companions
have travelled through a crystalline hellscape in the early part of the game for the last 30-40 minutes. Everything is crystal, the water, the enemies, even the goddamn fire, whereupon she suddenly bursts out "Oooh, look, its all made of crystal!" ........

And that is just the start of it. At that point since people called Final Fantasy "the greatest RPG franchise ever", I lost faith in japanese writing. I really hope Xenoblade proves me wrong as I have already ordered it.
It seems the two authors and the editor have gone through great lengths to ensure no character acted offensively stupid or unbelievable.

_Alkaline_ said:
The CC Pro isn't any different to the original, its just got handles.

Classic Controller Pro lacks analog L and R buttons. A few games use it, like Smash Bros and DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3. I don't think Xenoblade has a reason to so this really wasn't a relevant point to make here.

Shiggy said:
Are the buttons and the digipad still as "clicky"? I didn't really like how they felt on the original CC.

the buttons are largely the same. the d-pad is an improvement, raised more, and with more of a roll to it.

wsippel

Banned
I actually prefer the old CC for this game for some odd reason. Probably because I mostly played it with only one hand on the controller.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
~$49/shipped to the US for the standard edition from Zavvi, correct?

Hmmm.... I *really* want to get this, if only to support NoE for localizing it. I haven't been following too much. About how long is it?

Luigiv

Shiggy said:
Funny, I thought the original Classic controller was quite mushy, myself. The CCP is actually a little clickier though and the d-pad isn't quite as responsive on diagonals, so you probably won't be a fan. I personally prefer the feel of the Pro's face buttons but prefer the original's (or the SNES CC's) d-pad.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Skel1ingt0n said:

Hmmm.... I *really* want to get this, if only to support NoE for localizing it. I haven't been following too much. About how long is it?
Really, really long. 100+ hours.

wsippel

Banned
Skel1ingt0n said:

Too long for the built in clock, which stops at 99:59. If you do some side quests and exploration, that is.

SOLDIER

Skel1ingt0n said:

Is Zavvi the way to go? I'm a bit concerned as they don't list an estimated shipping date for US orders. GAME, while charging for shipping, offers a 6-8 day window.

I've never imported a PAL game, so I'd really like to know which vendor is my best bet.

wsippel

Banned
TheVampire said:
How would Xenoblade go with the Xbox 360 Controller?
On Dolphin? Pretty good. You need a very powerful system, though - it runs perfectly, but is supposedly one of the most demanding games to emulate.

kiryogi

Banned
Redrum_82 said:
About the controls, is the classic controller really necessary? Are the wiimote controls that bad?
Can I use a gamecube controller instead?
I played through this with Wiimote and nunchuk all the way. I had no issues and they were very comfortable/natural to work with.

Can't believe there's only a week until this comes out! Release date has really snuck up.

Odd scenario for me too - in the UK with a modded Japanese Wii. Other PAL games I've tried recently have been fine, fingers crossed that there are no hiccups and I can play this properly.

Shiggy

Luigiv said:
Funny, I thought the original Classic controller was quite mushy, myself. The CCP is actually a little clickier though and the d-pad isn't quite as responsive on diagonals, so you probably won't be a fan. I personally prefer the feel of the Pro's face buttons but prefer the original's (or the SNES CC's) d-pad.

I never really liked the original CC, but it was only until I received the SNES CC to notice why. I definitely agree that the SNES CC has a better d-pad as it needs less pressure. But well, let's see, I'm not even sure whether I'll get the bundle...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Can't believe there's only a week until this comes out! Release date has really snuck up.

Odd scenario for me too - in the UK with a modded Japanese Wii. Other PAL games I've tried recently have been fine, fingers crossed that there are no hiccups and I can play this properly.

Similar. Well, in the US with a Japanese Wii, and I haven't modded mine yet. I only have one US game that I used with my parents Wii so I haven't had to mod it yet. I really hope it works okay :/ The only time I've "modded" was simple disc swapping on my old PS2.

I can't believe how excited I am to play this game again. I guess the first 150 hours weren't enough.

M-PG71C

I pre-ordered from ASDA, hoping I get mine within a reasonable time frame. Its my most anticipated game of the year honestly.

I was going to do GAME but they wouldn't process my order, fuckers. :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wsippel said:
On Dolphin? Pretty good. You need a very powerful system, though - it runs perfectly, but is supposedly one of the most demanding games to emulate.
I thought there were issues with the sound? If not I'll probably try this with Dolphin, although I doubt my CPU is going to handle it well (Athlon II x3 @ 3.5GHz).

Totalriot

Just to let you know: Having the releasedate pushed forward to August 19. was done by Nintendo as a special gift to me, because I will marry on that day. Too bad they haven't thought this trough, as I won't be able to play it then ;-)

Totalriot said:
Just to let you know: Having the releasedate pushed forward to August 19. was done by Nintendo as a special gift to me, because I will marry on that day. Too bad they haven't thought this trough, as I won't be able to play it then ;-)

CALL IT OFF!

But congratulations in advance.

Fritz

Totalriot said:

Set your Wii up in the Honeymoonsuite! So sexy.

GamePro Germany Review

Wertung.jpg

I don't speak German so I don't understand anything, but I leave it here in case someone is interested :p

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Fritz said:
Estimated Playtime: 50h

Did they even play the game?

To be fair to reviewers, they can't usually spend as much time on a game as your average person might. I'm sure it would be perfectly possible to get through the game in 50 hours by running through it and skipping most of the dialogue (though who would want to play like that on a first playthrough, I really don't know.)

Shiggy

Fritz said:
Estimated Playtime: 50h

Did they even play the game?

In the review he says 50-60 hours, with doing all sidequests taking more than 100 hours.

And don't take that review too seriously...they gave Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars 86 %

mclem

Franchuzas87 said:
GamePro Germany Review

Wertung.jpg

I don't speak German so I don't understand anything, but I leave it here in case someone is interested :p

My GCSE-level pidgin German from fifteen years ago - combined with google translate - says the following (Brackets are guesswork):

Game length: 50 hours
Difficulty: Medium
Save system: Anywhere you like
Age Rating: 12+

For fans of: Eastern RPGs and Tetsuya Takahashi

Graphics:
+: Clean cutscenes
+: Varied environments
-: Edge flicker (AA?)
-: Jumpy animations

Sound:
+: Good English VO
+: Varied high-quality music
-: SFX sometimes very (Dull?)

Pros & Cons:
+: Interesting - if tricky to learn - combat system
+: Refreshing scenario
+: Enormous size
+: Save anywhere
+: Sophisticated (relationship system?)
-: Occasionally sticky amera in fights
-: Quite linear (???)
-: Poor graphics

Conclusion:
(This RPG is a huge undertaking). Not only the (huge steps of the Titans), but also in (making sure this game succeeds)?

Fell down a bit on the conclusion, I'm afraid. I *think* they're saying "This isn't quite perfect, but please buy it, it really deserves to do well". I might be confused about what the last bit refers to, it might instead be something like:

This RPG is a huge journey; not just the steps of the giants, but also your own!

mclem said:
My GCSE-level pidgin German from fifteen years ago - combined with google translate - says the following (Brackets are guesswork):

Game length: 50 hours
Difficulty: Medium
Save system: Anywhere you like
Age Rating: 12+

For fans of: Eastern RPGs and Tetsuya Takahashi

Graphics:
+: Clean cutscenes
+: Varied environments
-: Edge flicker (AA?)
-: Jumpy animations

Sound:
+: Good English VO
+: Varied high-quality music
-: SFX sometimes very (Dull?)

Pros & Cons:
+: Interesting - if tricky to learn - combat system
+: Refreshing scenario
+: Enormous size
+: Save anywhere
+: Sophisticated (relationship system?)
-: Occasionally sticky amera in fights
-: Poor graphics

Conclusion:
(This RPG is a huge undertaking). Not only the (huge steps of the Titans), but also in (making sure this game succeeds)?

Fell down a bit on the conclusion, I'm afraid. I *think* they're saying "This isn't quite perfect, but please buy it, it really deserves to do well". I might be confused about what the last bit refers to, it might instead be something like:

This RPG is a huge journey; not just the steps of the giants, but also your own!
Danke schön!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
mclem said:

Trend is getting old. It seems that whenever games (especially RPGs) don't have branching paths and morality systems they get marked down for it these days. I appreciate that some people will enjoy one type of game over the other (I like both to be honest) but neither is inherently bad. It's true that the story is a very linear experience. Even the areas, for all their size, typically only have one entrance and exit. But there is so much to explore that I think most people wouldn't notice.

Fritz

mclem said:
Conclusion:

Close! Conclusion would be: Has to fill huge shoes. Not only because of the Giant's enormous feet it succeeds!

I think they might be pointing towards Xenogears/-saga with the shoes, because they said it' their successor before. Morons.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Witchfinder General said:
Is this game getting an official release in Australia? I've looked online at EB, Game and JBhifi and can't listings for the game.
Yes, so it's odd that it wouldn't be listed anywhere. It's coming a couple weeks later though.

RPGCrazied

50hours?

Seems like they were really rushing. You can literally stay in the first zone for hours and hours and hours. They are that big.

I should've rushed my order, so bored! <_<

Top Bottom