• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

SOLDIER

Again, should I order from GAME or Zavvi?

Which store is more likely not to screw up the order and have it delivered to the US in a timely manner?

RPGCrazied

SOLDIER said:

Which store is more likely not to screw up the order and have it delivered to the US in a timely manner?

Zavvi has free shipping, but expect to wait a bit more. I don't know if GAME finally has the regular edition or not, just the CE, but expect to pay a lot more.

Sadist

This is going to be my first JRPG since... Tales of Symphonia DotNW's EU release back in November 2009. I didn't have a lot of time to play FF XIII at my nephews place.

RPGCrazied

It's been awhile for me too. Tales of Vesperia was my last one I played. I'm getting PS2 jRPG's vibe from this game. Ugh, can't wait.

FreeMufasa

Ultratech said:
Interestingly enough, FFXII does pretty much the same thing. Characters are less detailed to focus more on the environment.

Characters are super detailed in FFXII (textures). I think they just have less polycount compared to FFX.

GOzM1.jpg

I'm glad they did this for Xenoblade though. I love traversing an open detailed world.

wsippel

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
Characters are super detailed in FFXII (textures). I think they just have less polycount compared to FFX.

I'm glad they did this for Xenoblade though. I love traversing an open detailed world.
Those are cutscenes. SQEX uses much more detailed models in cutscenes, which is why the games appear to look far better than they actually do. Expensive trickery, and even more expensive in a game like Xenoblade, as all your equipment is visible in cutscenes as well. Also, Xenoblade uses lots of wide angle shots, camera pans and fast cuts, sometimes between completely different areas, in cutscenes, and all that stuff has to fit in the memory. SQEX simply used CG movies for comparable cutscenes, and tons of different armor pieces in a nearly unlimited number of possible combinations with prerendered videos wouldn't really work, right?

Sophia

Aren't most/all of Xenobllade's cutscenes real time too? I mean, the gear DOES switch your appearance, so the lower quality models probably make that easier.

RPGCrazied

Yeah. And the costumes in this game is ridiculous! Its like you can have a different top armor, with different leg armor.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SOLDIER said:

365games has it cheaper than GAME and is supposed to be more reliable than Zavvi/Asda/TheHut.

Also saw some recommendations for ShopTo, they are supposed to have pretty good shipping (might ship games early to get them to you closer to release, not sure though), but it's not free (all the others mentioned are). I decided to go with ShopTo and am hoping they get me the game quick. Planning to jump on this one right away.

Go_Ly_Dow

GOTY is almost here!

Had mine pre-ordered from Asda for a month now. Now I just need to collect my uncles Wii.

wsippel said:
Those are cutscenes. SQEX uses much more detailed models in cutscenes, which is why the games appear to look far better than they actually do. Expensive trickery, and even more expensive in a game like Xenoblade, as all your equipment is visible in cutscenes as well. Also, Xenoblade uses lots of wide angle shots, camera pans and fast cuts, sometimes between completely different areas, in cutscenes, and all that stuff has to fit in the memory. SQEX simply used CG movies for comparable cutscenes, and tons of different armor pieces in a nearly unlimited number of possible combinations with prerendered videos wouldn't really work, right?

In FFX they definitely used different models for certain cutscenes, but in XII I'm fairly sure that all cutscenes are realtime (except CG).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
SecretMoblin said:
So for those who have played it, or who have been following it more closely than me:

Does the game allow for some level grinding? I played through Chrono Cross for the first time a few months ago and was frustrated as hell that I couldn't grind a bit before boss fights. I'm a longtime Dragon Quest fan, so I enjoy games where grinding isn't strictly necessary but can be useful.

Do all available quests = already perfect level for the next boss (quests give experience.) I never actually spent time mindlessly killing monsters until the end (when I wanted to get to level 99.)

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Yeah. And the costumes in this game is ridiculous! Its like you can have a different top armor, with different leg armor.
And different boots, and helmets, and gloves. And weapons, of course. You can look as stupid as you want, with a combination of heavy steel breastplates, feather headgear, a bikini bottom and fur boots. Complete sets usually look pretty cool, but start to mix and match, and you'll look absolutely hilarious - it's even more funny in dramatic cutscenes.

RPGCrazied

Lol. Week.

I wonder what I'm going to do with myself for the at least month or more before mine comes in. Knowing Zavvi they will fuck with my shit, it'll get lost, maybe damaged. :(

Lissar said:
Do all available quests = already perfect level for the next boss (quests give experience.) I never actually spent time mindlessly killing monsters until the end (when I wanted to get to level 99.)

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it's balanced very well.

Now I hope it works on my American CRT...

creid

weeaboo said:
So, to summarize all the reviews so far

Pros
-Best JRPG in a non portable system since the glorious PS2 days.

Cons
-Lol Wii graphics
It's funny, if Nintendo wasn't the publisher then the "Con" wouldn't be true.... but then Monolith Soft wouldn't have been given the time & budget to make the "Pro" true either.

Just cancelled my old pre-order of the special edition from Game and shifted it to a regular edition order on Zavvi.

It is a big difference in price, but ultimately I feel I do not need a big cardboard box holding a red version of a controller I already have to take up space in my gaming closet. It is starting to be real hard to navigate that space and I don't need any useless trinkets taking up space. Wish more people would do actual special packaging on the game box itself without making them bigger. The CAPCOM tin boxes are a great idea, I would pay more for something like that which looks cool without taking up extra space.

LProtag

Guess I'm going to have to avoid this thread soon. Though I've got it coming from GAME so I might get it in a decent amount of time.

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Erm...

I read this game has weather. I have yet to see it in a video. Does it like snow, rain, and all that jazz?
Yes. Fog and thunderstorms, too. Depends on the area, of course.

Laekon

I'm from the US but will be in Zurich at the end of the month. I'm not sure how JRPG's are in Europe so would I just be able to walk into any electronic store and buy this?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RPGCrazied said:
Awesome. Is there a video somewhere that shows it?
Weather also affects gameplay. Certain hunt targets don't appear unless it's a certain time of day, or a certain weather type.

Shiggy

RPGCrazied said:
The lets play video? I'm guessing people with NA Wii's can't see EU stuff on the Nintendo Channel.

An interview with the makers, I don't think it's on the internet yet.

RPGCrazied

thetrin said:
Weather also affects gameplay. Certain hunt targets don't appear unless it's a certain time of day, or a certain weather type.

Is there an item that can change the weather, or maybe day into night?

Okay NOE just put out a news post about the Xenoblade microsite now being open

Here is the important part of the story:
* Please note that the three posters are only available via in-store pre-order, which was not correctly communicated before. If you previously placed an online pre-order to get these posters sent with your copy of the pre-order bundle, please get in contact with GAME or gamestation using the links. We strongly apologise for this inconvenience.
The links are just to the respective customer services page.

Mlatador

Banned
Marrshu said:
What I'm looking to know myself, except with component. I want to import, but my TV lacks 480p despite having component hookups.

the component signal improves EVERYTHING - meaning the whole pictures that's been output. As an "addition" that signal can also transport progressive images (IF you activate it on the Wii). If not, and you output in 480i, it will still look really good, since component - along RGB - is the best analog signal you can get.

Top Bottom