• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) now available on European Wii U eShop

Effect

NA release when?
Never going by NoA's track record. We likely only got the Wii games we did because it was mandated then they washed their hands regardless of it not being a cost on them. There is no marketing for this. No retailer presence. They're just hosting the files and letting people buy them but they can't be bothered.

It's bs like this that is stopping me from getting excited at the idea of new hardware. No reason to think NoA won't continue to act like this.

nubbe

ehh... no. There are only few Wii games who don't, but on the Gamecube many games were 50Hz only!
1. Turn Gamecube Console on.
2. Hold Down the B Button during startup screen.
3. Wait until screen reads, for PAL Regions, "Will you like to switch to 60hz Mode?", and for NTSC consoles it should say, "Would you like to switch to 50hz mode?"

ZeroX03

Banned
Would probably buy this.

The 3DS version was a travesty. I traded it in

Wait, what are the chances of this looking good on WiiU?

I grabbed the N3DS version some time back, but had to stop playing because the frame rate and camera drove me nuts.

You guys know the N3DS version was a damn good port right? I think the frame rate is even better than the console version in places. Wii version will have less pop in and much clearer visibility thanks to screen size and some improved textures but comments like "travesty" are a joke. It's about as faithful as you can get on a system like the N3DS.

Zafir

Do you expect Nintendo to deflate UK prices, just because the value of the Euro is tanking right now?

I expect better conversion rates between the two currencies. If it's the Euro's fault, then why haven't they increased the Euro price? Besides, it's not exactly a new thing, the pound has been doing better against the euro for a while, they just haven't bothered to update the conversion rate because to them it doesn't matter. Not to mention, the entire reason the conversion rate is as it is, is because they decided on it when the pound had tanked. The pound has recovered quite a damn bit since then.

Pinky

Banned
Fuck NoA if they don't release this on the eShop. I haven't played this yet, but I do own a copy which is factory sealed. I want to play this so badly, but I've been holding out hoping this would get an eShop release. This news is certainly promising and I hope that NoA follows through.

scamander

Banned
Don't worry guys. NoA will give it to us as a one-day Gamestop exclusive download with any purchase of a Gamestop exclusive amiibo. In 2020.

I had to chuckle. :D

Ah, I probably wasn't interested in the ones that came after so didn't notice. I grabbed SMG2, MP and Pandora's Tower for half off I'm sure.

Sadly, I'm a bit of a collector, so I don't really want to sell my physical copy. xD

Yeah, not surprised. Otherwise you probably would have thought of this possibility yourself. :p

[/quote]Edit: Actually, just looked at my purchase history. SMG/MP I paid half price, Pandora's Tower and Sin and Punishment I seemed to get 25% off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those two got a 25% discount on launch week, but all others didn't. Kirby got a discount later during E3.

No, I expect them to let me easily buy from the EU store.

But you can do this easily now, at least on Wii U!?

It's such a shame I was never able to finish this game. I really got put-off by the difficulty (spike) later on in the game. Those boss fights man, insane ;_;

Grinding felt super hard and like a huge chore :-/
Oh well, maybe I'll need to give it another try.

Mael

3. Wait until screen reads, for PAL Regions, "Will you like to switch to 60hz Mode?", and for NTSC consoles it should say, "Would you like to switch to 50hz mode?"

Some games aren't even in 50Hz like Metroid Prime 2 and they have a warning saying that the games can't be played in 50Hz.
Why? Because some TV handled 60Hz very badly at the time... and I mean you couldn't see shit.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's such a shame I was never able to finish this game. I really got put-off by the difficulty (spike) later on in the game. Those boss fights man, insane ;_;

Grinding felt super hard and like a huge chore :-/
Oh well, maybe I'll need to give it another try.

You don't really need to grind in the game if you're accepting every quest - not necessarily finishing them - and not fleeing every encounter. It comes down to knowing the battle system. On your replay you should be using every character and experimenting with skills. Chances are if you're encountering difficulty spikes it's because you stuck with Shulk, Rein and Sharla.

Ridley327

Before I definitely pull the trigger, how does it fare in terms of frame-rate? In terms of textures it looks questionable, but it's something I can deal with if the rest is top-notch. I've always wanted to buy it, but they go for €70+ second-hand here and that has always been way too much for a game I'm not even sure I'm going to like. And furthermore, how does this compare with the N3DS remake?

This is actually an area where the 3DS version has a fairly noticeable leg-up on the Wii version. It's not to say that the framerate is bad on the Wii version, but there are parts where it can and will crawl. They are few and far between, so it's not a constant issue by any stretch.

scamander

Banned

If software is 50Hz only, hardware settings can't change that!

I expect better conversion rates between the two currencies. If it's the Euro's fault, then why haven't they increased the Euro price?

Because they like to have fixed prices that don't fluctuate every few months? I could ask you as well why you are still profiting from the cheap British prices for VC games that have been set during the Wii era when the value of the Pound was much higher. The fact the Euro is tanking has nothing to do with you. You are not loosing anything. By asking Nintendo to raise €-prices you basically ask for others to pay more than they are used to, just so you feel better. As someone from Germany (the only country within the EU that has a negative actual wage development since 2000) I can only tell you this is kind of a dick move.

Besides, it's not exactly a new thing, the pound has been doing better against the euro for a while, they just haven't bothered to update the conversion rate because to them it doesn't matter.

2 years with the most significant loss of value only since the beginning of 2015. And only because of the Greece fiasco. Don't make the mistake to think this is a permanent or even long term situation.

If you are bothered so much by it, just use an €-store. Goddamnit.

Zafir

Because they like to have fixed prices that don't fluctuate every few months? I could ask you as well why you are still profiting from the cheap British prices for VC games that have been set during the Wii era when the value of the Pound was much higher. The fact the Euro is tanking has nothing to do with you. You are not loosing anything. By asking Nintendo to raise €-prices you basically ask for others to pay more than they are used to, just so you feel better. As someone from Germany (the only country within the EU that has a negative actual wage development since 2000) I can only tell you this is kind of a dick move.
Oh, I'm not saying they should increase the Euro price that wouldn't do any good considering digital prices are utterly ridiculous even if there was a decent pound conversion rate. I'm saying why haven't they if it was the Euro's fault. Especially considering, this conversion rate was set in the past when the exact same thing happened to the pound. The £1 = 90 cent conversion rate was set when the pound tanked. The pound hasn't been that bad in years, and yet we're still being "punished" for it. It's not even about fluctuating every few months.

PSN for example has consistent prices and doesn't have such a large disparity. We are paying a bit more than people in Europe, but it's not as bad.

I suppose the even bigger problem is the conversion rates in comparison to the american stores though. The American prices seem fairly reasonable in comparison to the retail prices, making digital a viable alternative. That doesn't seem to happen in the EU regardless of platform.

ZeroX03

Banned
PSN for example has consistent prices and doesn't have such a large disparity. We are paying a bit more than people in Europe, but it's not as bad.

Not exactly. PSN's only consistent in that it likes to raise prices in some regions when the dollar is down and then not lower them when it's back up. It has its fair share of regional pricing issues. Australia and NZ get it bad.

It's bs like this that is stopping me from getting excited at the idea of new hardware. No reason to think NoA won't continue to act like this.

Given the dismal sales of Wii U and even 3DS, there's also little reason to think the next platform and its software catalog won't be more globally inclusive.

I don't know your eShop history but just so you know if you system transfered over to a New 3DS you can not transfer back to an old one. I can only think this was done to stop you having the ability to download New 3DS exclusive games on an older 3DS (where they would fail to run).

Well... shit. There goes that plan. I guess I'll just stick with the 3DS version then, and maybe wait for a sale if I feel like double dipping.

Dsyndrome

Get with the program, NoA, damn...

How hard is it to transfer a save from Wii Mode on Wii U to the Wii U side, just plug in a USB and transfer?

NA release when?

amZEW0r.gif

The 3DS hasn't been selling poorly in years.

Dude, in the Americas the thing is selling worse than Nintendo 64, and software sales are worse than GameCube's. Prior to 3DS, there had never been a Nintendo handheld that had poorer sales than a Nintendo console that wasn't Wii. Japan is the only region where 3DS is actually strong, and that's only because it's eaten up much of the remnants of the country's declining dedicated games market.

Source: Nintendo

Sweet, thanks.

As an aside, the game actually winds up running on the Wii side anyway.

Zafir

Not exactly. PSN's only consistent in that it likes to raise prices in some regions when the dollar is down and then not lower them when it's back up. It has its fair share of regional pricing issues. Australia and NZ get it bad.

Well I don't really look at the Aus ones admittedly. Aus is renowned for having conversion issues like Europe has. I was mainly referring to Pound VS Euro.

As I mentioned in the latter section, if we're comparing to US prices, every region gets screwed over.

NateDrake

Dude, in the Americas the thing is selling worse than Nintendo 64, and software sales are worse than GameCube's. Prior to 3DS, there had never been a Nintendo handheld that had poorer sales than a Nintendo console that wasn't Wii. Japan is the only region where 3DS is actually strong, and that's only because it's eaten up much of the remnants of the country's declining dedicated games market.

Source: Nintendo

As an aside, the game actually winds up running on the Wii side anyway.

Per your source the 3DS is at about 18mill in America. N64 finished just over 20mill. You are going to say they are wrong over a 2mill unit difference? Even though the 3DS continues to sell? It will pass the N64. It may not be doing DS numbers in America, but it isn't doing awful.

Per your source the 3DS is at about 18mill in America. N64 finished just over 20mill. You are going to say they are wrong over 2mill units while the 3DS continues to sell?

Sure, if Nintendo supports 3DS for longer than they did N64, it'll probably sell better overall.

But annual sales have been generally higher for N64 in NA, with the exception of last FY (which was both a Pokemon year and a new hardware model year; N64 never got hardware revisions in NA!). At this point, Nintendo has to play catch-up with the year or two of extended support 3DS will get compared to N64. This despite Nintendo releasing more Mario games, more Pokemon games, more Animal Crossing games, more Zelda games, and four times the number of hardware revisions for 3DS vs. N64.

The software sales tell the real story: the 3DS install base isn't particularly strong compared to Nintendo's past machines. That's why we're seeing lower software uptake.

I notice Zafir beat me to the punch and most of what I say is redundant (and they say it better) but I had to look a few things up (including a visit to my dear old friend, the Russian eShop).

Because they like to have fixed prices that don't fluctuate every few months? I could ask you as well why you are still profiting from the cheap British prices for VC games that have been set during the Wii era when the value of the Pound was much higher.
N64 VC releases are £9. £2 more than their Wii versions. So it was NES and SNES only. I imagine those were set at the Wii VC prices because the disparity was so big it would be cheaper to buy via the Wii Shop and pay the upgrade fee (as is the case for N64 games). I guess when the N64 VC rolled into town somebody forgot that.

But here is some food for thought.

They have changed exchange rates for other countries in the last few years. Here we go:
€:AUD used to be 1:1.5 it is now 1:1.3
€:ZAR used to be 1:10 it is now 1:12
€:RUB used to be 1:50 then 1:40* it is now 1:75 (however some third party games were kept at the older price point...also this massive hike it currently cheaper than the UK prices).

*-Looking at FE Awakening DLC (which for some reason also is frozen in time). Apotheosis DLC is 79 while the other single DLC are 99. So that turning point was somewhere around there.

While most of those are up Australia was down. I do not think €1=£0.90 last seen in the real world for a reasonable amount of time back 2008 (and set when the DSi came out) is at all fair. Would people still be complaining if they went for €1=£0.85 or ever £0.80? Absolutely, but at least you could look at a chart and go, yeah I see your point rather than look at a chart and see that NOE have taken the highest possible value and chosen to make no changes despite making changes to other currencies based on smaller timescales (and also not basing all non € currencies on this metric).

If you are bothered so much by it, just use an €-store. Goddamnit.
If that person fucked over their 3DS by locking themselves into the UK eShop thanks to NNID being designed badly they actually can't do that. The nearest they can do is have a second system (with no NNID attached) and do a system transfer whenever a purchase is made to assimilate that purchase (good thing the transfer limit was dropped). Also see earlier about what I said about New 3DS not being able to transfer back to old.

As for Wii U. Some people might not enjoy having several users in different currencies and won't be prepared for a fight if their system does break. If Nintendo UK are fairly bad at restoring UK NNID I can see them being assholes on purpose towards non-£ ones and be like "hurr hurr the French NNID will need you to contact French customer services" (despite the fact Germany handles all account stuff anyway and hence it should make no difference).

I do use the cheapest currency of the month as the system allows (I probably would just not use the eShop if it did not or just import the hardware outright). I feel by complaining I am representing the silent majority who do (or can) not.

Never going by NoA's track record. We likely only got the Wii games we did because it was mandated then they washed their hands regardless of it not being a cost on them. There is no marketing for this. No retailer presence. They're just hosting the files and letting people buy them but they can't be bothered.

You gotta beg and plead and make a total fool of yourself first.

Something tells me that I forgot to put an /s in my post

I'm still pissed at the late releases of certain amiibos, Yoshi's Wooly World, Devil's Third, Zero Mission, and other things in NA.

scamander

Banned
While most of those are up Australia was down. I do not think €1=£0.90 last seen in the real world for a reasonable amount of time back 2008 (and set when the DSi came out) is at all fair.

Two years ago:
ebgx5ff9.png

The reason 1€ is only ~0,7 GBP now is because of the weak performance of the Euro, not because your currency is doing so hot. So they don't make more money out of each pound then back when this conversion rate was set (or maybe they do because of the weak Yen, but that's another story again). You are basically asking Nintendo to loose money on the UK market, just because they do already in the Euro-countries.

That doesn't make sense, businesswise.

Zero²

Dear NoA,
give us this game please, pretty please, I wont even get mad about you guys not releasing Pandora's Tower on the eShop if you give me this. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich!

Just started playing it in HD via Dolphin (playthrough number 6 lol)

I also have it on the N3DS for portable time....so ehhh, no. I'm good.

LAA

..I'm a mad man. Why did I buy this again?! I wasnt even thinking. I already have XB:C on Wii (Physically), though I do value having them playable on gamepad and without booting to Wii mode first, but... I also have it n3DS which I've yet to beat. What was I thinking, my logic processes totally turned off and I just bought it, ha ha. Never had this happen before.

I hope the £9 discount is worth it for XB:X. Knowing Nintendo though, it'll be on the eShop for £49 and it won't be worth my while buying it. Then again though, does anyone know if XB:X performs better digtally or physically? I know physical you can download a bunch of packs to make it run better and digital already has it all of course, but I'm just wondering if it's like GTA where both the disc and hard drive are being used to stream stuff quicker?

Loving all the NoA begging going on in here, it always seems to come down to it.

Please NoA...please release this on the NA eShop :(

ika

This is great, was looking to pick up a physical copy but all those scalpers were charging extortionate prices on amazon and ebay.

Patience really is a virtue :)

Very good news... Scalpers will see a significant drop in the disc value with a digital Wii version, dual VA and all... The game is no longer a rare piece of software that's very hard to even play in its original state. Only disc collectors will bite for those ridiculous prices.

/Downloading, BTW... :p

UberTag

We're gonna have to do operation rainfall two to get this on NA eshop aren't we?
Of course! Nintendo doesn't want to take attention away from their robust August release calendar of Disney Infinity 3.0, LBX: Little Battlers eXperience and Splatoon's new online ranked matchmaking modes.

The End

Of course! Nintendo doesn't want to take attention away from their robust August release calendar of Disney Infinity 3.0, LBX: Little Battlers eXperience and Splatoon's new online ranked matchmaking modes.

Supposedly they're announcing the XBCX special editions later today

if they're going to put this up, now would be the time

Robin64

Just so we're clear, NoA haters, it's cool if we come into threads about America getting something first and fill it up with "NoE plz" and such? Okay good.

Okay so this works with the gamepad controls but does it work with the pro controller?

No

Top Bottom