• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X "Direct" on Feb. 6 [info in OP]

I'm so glad I waited. That's the Wii U SKU I'm buying for sure.

Can't wait to get it from a scalper ;//

Yeah, that's my concern right now. I'm going to try and preorder the set as soon as it's up on either Nippon Yasan or Play Asia.

aw yisssssss
ghiraecstasyacu1g.png

Phazon

I honestly think you should take your nintendo fan boy goggles off or stop smoking hard, just comparing the graphics in both city's detail, models and lighting in gtav look a generation better then x. just watch red dead living in the west trailer and it clearly demolishes this trailer graphically.

Priorities in development, how does it work. The city is not the main part of the game and Monolith Soft has 123 employees, the GTA dev Rockstar has used 500+ for making GTA V a thing. Of course they have a lot more resources for detailed cars and stuff like that.

If anything, you should take a look at the mechs. Those are 'the cars' in X that got attention and detail :)

Don't drag me into this. Also, stop responding to ninjablade. His BS doesn't deserve attention.

99% guaranteed there is no romancing nonsense in this game.

nonsense, there is a moon overhead Elma will be moonstruck, just wanna know if I should be a boy Cross or a girl Cross. How else are we going to keep from going extinct on Mira

sfried

I honestly think you should take your nintendo fan boy goggles off or stop smoking hard, just comparing the graphics in both city's detail, models and lighting in gtav look a generation better then x. just watch red dead living in the west trailer and it clearly demolishes this trailer graphically.

Somebody's asking to get banned.

rjinaz

Don't drag me into this. Also, stop responding to ninjablade. His BS doesn't deserve attention.

99% guaranteed there is no romancing nonsense in this game.

Dude you really should stop telling others not to respond to certain people. You did it to me the other day too and it irked me. They certainly can respond to him if they like. If the mods are allowing him to keep posting, which they are, then his posts are fair game for discussion.

I do agree it is probably best to ignore certain attention seeking individuals like ninjablade but if people want to respond they can. If mods didn't want people to respond to him they would ban him.

*shrug*

I loved the combat in Xenoblade. I'd actually say it's one of my favorite JRPG battle systems and I'm happy that they're building upon it with this game instead of going with something completely new. But then again I'm not the biggest fan of real-time action battle systems because I suck at them. Still play and enjoy them though and I can see why people like them over more turn-based stuff - I just have to end up overleveling more than others haha.

...I think I'm just really really chill about gameplay systems. I can look past any number of flaws as long as the core focus and experience of the game is terrific and for Xenoblade that's got to be, hands-down, the navigation and exploration of the world.

And THAT looks freaking terrific so far! Wonder what the "Unexplored Areas" are - I mean the whole planet is technically "unexplored" isn't it? :p
It's not that I prefer action, it's that Xenoblade's combat was extremely dull unless you manually gimp yourself by not leveling or by using weak equipment. Usually in an offline RPG you give auto-attacks to your character if you have to manage everyone's health, condition, mana, abilities, etc. , but here that doesn't happen at all.

If you play Reyn, Dunban or Riki (or Seven if you gear her for tank) then the only thing that matters is how fast you can use all of your abilities. If you play Shulk, then it's the same thing, but you're circle-strafing the enemy. Melia (and offensive Seven) are the only almost decent characters to play, and even then, you're fine as long as you don't mash hard enough to draw aggro. And Sharla... -ahem-.

And I absolutely agree with your last two paragraphs, and that's why I'm so hyped for this game (that and the story, of course).

TheMoon

Lord Ghirahim! I'll add you on the Wii U if Japan could play with everyone else XD

Also have we gotten a list/bunch of images showing of the different Dolls? I wanna see how customisable they are, really wanna make them unique when we're playing online XD

No. We have seen various Dolls in all the footage but we don't know if they're all potentially playable or reflect customization options for the player-controlled models.

Wasn't sure if they changed it since then, though. Those pics are from the very first reveal trailer aren't they?

Since that trailer was mentioned in the post I'm responding to with those pics, of course.

No. We have seen various Dolls in all the footage but we don't know if they're all potentially playable or reflect customization options for the player-controlled models.
Hoping one of the directs are entirely focused on Dolls, we'll probably get more info in the the battle system direct though.

TheMoon

Hoping one of the directs are entirely focused on Dolls, we'll probably get more info in the the battle system direct though.

If by probably you mean definitely since they clearly announced that would be the focus of the next stream then yea ;)

Plus Takahashi mentioned Dolls have both advantages and disadvantages in battle so that should be interesting. Rewatching the debut teaser to take screencaps, it has a lot of what looks like late-game stuff in there with the mech having a gigantic sword, fighting in the air with the big sword and stuff like that. So hyped.

I still have hope for the soundtrack because the theme in the original trailer is really good and stands up to a lot of the Xenoblade tracks. But the stuff from this Direct was really disappointing. It really stood out when they did the preview for Xenoblade 3DS at the end with it being set to the Gaur Plains theme.

So far my favourite song is the 'NLA theme', from 0:23-2:27 in the direct. The two instrumental themes we've gotten from the trailers and website are pretty good too. I'm a fan of Sawano, but I have to admit I was hoping they would stay away from vocal tracks (I mean, I don't really mind vocal sound effects, but I don't really like lyrically focused tracks, especially in a game like this...). So far... idk. I mean they've only shown us trailers and teasers, which contained some vocals. Maybe they just really wanted to give us samples of the vocal tracks? It's a 90+ track OST, so the large majority have to be completely (or at least lyric free) instrumentals right? I'm pretty optimistic that the game itself will have very good and selective usage of the vocal tracks and the most prominent music will be mostly instrumental, but I definitely wish they'd have toned down the vocal usage.

Actually, Takahashi found it very difficult to work with the team from Xenoblade. It's no surprise that he would prefer one composer, and seeing how he's a big fan of Sawano, it's easy to see how Takahashi came to recruit him.

Not surprising at all since Takahashi is super picky when it comes to what music makes it in the game. I think Sawano can put out a great OST if Takahashi has anywhere near as much control over the music as he did for Xenosaga III.

alvis.exe

It's not that I prefer action, it's that Xenoblade's combat was extremely dull unless you manually gimp yourself by not leveling or by using weak equipment. Usually in an offline RPG you give auto-attacks to your character if you have to manage everyone's health, condition, mana, abilities, etc. , but here that doesn't happen at all.

If you play Reyn, Dunban or Riki (or Seven if you gear her for tank) then the only thing that matters is how fast you can use all of your abilities. If you play Shulk, then it's the same thing, but you're circle-strafing the enemy. Melia (and offensive Seven) are the only almost decent characters to play, and even then, you're fine as long as you don't mash hard enough to draw aggro. And Sharla... -ahem-.

And I absolutely agree with your last two paragraphs, and that's why I'm so hyped for this game (that and the story, of course).

I dunno. It was exciting enough for me haha. Guess I'm just a boring person in your book :p I don't even think I could tell you exactly why I loved it so much but I definitely had more fun with that battle system, even just fighting eaaasssy monsters, than I had with others.

My favorite fights were definitely against the superbosses though and once I felt like I understood the system well enough I started taking on higher leveled enemies for fun so I guess that's kind of what you're talking about? But like I said, I'm just really chill about RPG battles in general, especially against trash mobs - don't expect much excitement from them but then again, I'm the type of person who will tell you that Pokemon's single-player story battles are totally acceptable and those are about as braindead for an RPG as you can get lol. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this!

As for the story, I'm just praying that Takahashi stays as far away from ridiculous outright real-world religious references/"symbolism" as possible. I don't need a Nopon getting nailed to a cross or someone being taken away into the sky by "angels", especially not with how poorly these faces emote and Sawano music blaring lol. I really appreciated that those were mostly absent from the first game, but the appearance of churches in NLA has me uneasy. I'll eat up anything else he comes up with though! Bring on the evil god conga line haha.

*shrug*

I loved the combat in Xenoblade. I'd actually say it's one of my favorite JRPG battle systems and I'm happy that they're building upon it with this game instead of going with something completely new. But then again I'm not the biggest fan of real-time action battle systems because I suck at them. Still play and enjoy them though and I can see why people like them over more turn-based stuff - I just have to end up overleveling more than others haha.

...I think I'm just really really chill about gameplay systems. I can look past any number of flaws as long as the core focus and experience of the game is terrific and for Xenoblade that's got to be, hands-down, the navigation and exploration of the world.

And THAT looks freaking terrific so far! Wonder what the "Unexplored Areas" are - I mean the whole planet is technically "unexplored" isn't it? :p

I definitely liked the combat, it did get boring after awhile but then new characters were introduced and I would use them.

I would assume they build off that with the varied typed of combat now (human and mech), either way im really excited to play this game and explore!

I dunno. It was exciting enough for me haha. Guess I'm just a boring person in your book :p I don't even think I could tell you exactly why I loved it so much but I definitely had more fun with that battle system, even just fighting eaaasssy monsters, than I had with others.

My favorite fights were definitely against the superbosses though and once I felt like I understood the system well enough I started taking on higher leveled enemies for fun so I guess that's kind of what you're talking about? But like I said, I'm just really chill about RPG battles in general, especially against trash mobs - don't expect much excitement from them but then again, I'm the type of person who will tell you that Pokemon's single-player story battles are totally acceptable and those are about as braindead for an RPG as you can get lol. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this!

As for the story, I'm just praying that Takahashi stays as far away from ridiculous outright real-world religious references/"symbolism" as possible. I don't need a Nopon getting nailed to a cross or someone being taken away into the sky by "angels", especially not with how poorly these faces emote and Sawano music blaring lol. I really appreciated that those were mostly absent from the first game, but the appearance of churches in NLA has me uneasy. I'll eat up anything else he comes up with though! Bring on the evil god conga line haha.
Story-wise I'll just let Takahashi do whatever he wants I guess >.>, crucifying a Nopon would be weird, but I don't really care about the faces to warrant a less serious story because of it.

The battle system for me ultimately went to the same place as FFXII's battle system. It became the "I'm in a battle, time to rotate the camera around and look for treasure and new pathways". Xenoblade's unique monsters and bosses just became an exercise in patience to me, since I can't think of many that actually posed a threat besides the strongest ones.

I'll agree to disagree, but I really can't say that the battle system is fine...

It's just that everything is so good, everything is so fun and/or engaging. If they had a good battle system this game would be a beast much bigger than it already is. I honestly wouldn't even mind generic quests or bad character models if only they fixed that.

alvis.exe

I'll agree to disagree, but I really can't say that the battle system is fine...

It's just that everything is so good, everything is so fun and/or engaging. If they had a good battle system this game would be a beast much bigger than it already is. I honestly wouldn't even mind generic quests or bad character models if only they fixed that.

Haha you really hate the battle system don't you. :p

I'll be mean and say that I hope they don't change it because it'll make me sad instead and I'd rather you be sad than me being sad. :)

j/k j/k Look on the bright side! The devs have said that they made the battle system a lot more fast-paced, so theoretically it should be "less boring"? Plus, wasn't there something about how the team wanted to try a different battle system but weren't confident in their ability to do so or something? So there's always a chance it'll be changed with the next game, much like how Final Fantasy games have done a lot of experimentation with their battle systems over the years.

And then I can complain in those threads about how they changed it and now it sucks and you can tell me to suck it up and get over it lol.

Though I have to say that, even though I don't mind the faces as much as others - I actually think Elma looks kind of nice - I do anticipate that I won't like the cutscene direction as much because the faces just don't emote very well. Like there's a scene in the story trailer where Irina is supposed to be furious or something and her eyes just look the same as usual. I love the way the first game used dynamic camera angles and a wide range of facial expressions in conjunction with terrific music to great result and I just don't anticipate we'll have that perfect storm here. Hope to be pleasantly surprised, and even if it sucks, at least I can still fly around the world in my mech. :p

Haha you really hate the battle system don't you. :p

I'll be mean and say that I hope they don't change it because it'll make me sad instead and I'd rather you be sad than me being sad. :)

u wot m8?

But yeah, I really don't, this game got so close to being a 10 in my book that it's not even funny >.>

j/k j/k Look on the bright side! The devs have said that they made the battle system a lot more fast-paced, so theoretically it should be "less boring"? Plus, wasn't there something about how the team wanted to try a different battle system but weren't confident in their ability to do so or something? So there's always a chance it'll be changed with the next game, much like how Final Fantasy games have done a lot of experimentation with their battle systems over the years.

And then I can complain in those threads about how they changed it and now it sucks and you can tell me to suck it up and get over it lol.

Though I have to say that, even though I don't mind the faces as much as others - I actually think Elma looks kind of nice - I do anticipate that I won't like the cutscene direction as much because the faces just don't emote very well. Like there's a scene in the story trailer where Irina is supposed to be furious or something and her eyes just look the same as usual. I love the way the first game used dynamic camera angles and a wide range of facial expressions in conjunction with terrific music to great result and I just don't anticipate we'll have that perfect storm here. Hope to be pleasantly surprised, and even if it sucks, at least I can still fly around the world in my mech. :p
Well, the advantage I'd give to FF is even if they botch a battle system (FFVIII lol), I know I can still look forward to the next game because they won't try the same concept again, they'll change it.

Hopefully you're right and they change the battle system for the next game. And hopefully you're right and battles now are interesting enough for me not to actively ignore them... But after so many hours with Xenoblade, it's hard to get excited for another 80+ hours of that.

As for the faces, I'm okay with all of them (even Lyn), but I constantly play games that have little to no facial expression, so I just don't care anymore =P

chadboban

Question. Has anything like the Navigation Ball existed in previous open world games? I just think it's such a fantastic addition. It alleviates one of the main worries I had with this game. That when it came to exploration, the quest arrow could cause me to get lost.

yello+arrow.jpg

I mean sure it worked for the most part in Xenoblade. But given the increase in scale and complexity of the environments, I worried that it could become incredibly difficult to find certain quest locations given the diversity of a lot of the terrain.

But after seeing the Nav Ball in action I can't wait to try it out for myself.

tmynvf.gif

I love how fast it is

ervnbh.gif

And it seems like it can give you reliable directions even up the more vertical portions of the landscape that quest markers and arrows may prove a little more cumbersome with.

hzzuom.gif

I just like that it's something optional within the game world that is able to guide you to your destination without the need to look at your map or have a rotating arrow stuck to your UI. I also hope it uses are unlimited so you can feel free to get sidetracked by something else while following it.

JimboJones

Not the exact same but Fable 2 and 3 had the magic breadcrumbs, a glittering trail that you could follow if you just wanted to go to the next objective.
Dead Space also had a similar blue laser trail you could activate.

Didn't Skyrim have that magic that would give out a light trail to your destination?

I don't know many others as I don't like using this kind of stuff, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim had one =P

chadboban

Not the exact same but Fable 2 and 3 had the magic breadcrumbs, a glittering trail that you could follow if you just wanted to go to the next objective.
Dead Space also had a similar blue laser trail you could activate.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Dead Space? Man I loved the first two. Haven't played 3 but I've heard mixed things about it. I just really love it when games give you directions using objects in the game world rather than plastering it on your UI.

Didn't Skyrim have that magic that would give out a light trail to your destination?

I don't know many others as I don't like using this kind of stuff, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim had one =P

Never played Skyrim, but there are times when I think I may lose my sense of direction and won't really want to have to consult the map every single time. The thing I like about the navigation ball is that it you can either follow it or just let it go off in the distance to give you a sense of direction.

WUPAX5J.jpg

Uh... Have we discussed this pic?

It looks like the gamepad UI screen. Notice how all the UI elements are larger in proportion to the screen.

That when it came to exploration, the quest arrow could cause me to get lost.

yello+arrow.jpg

Clearly you're supposed to jump off the bridge.

Actually, Takahashi found it very difficult to work with the team from Xenoblade. It's no surprise that he would prefer one composer, and seeing how he's a big fan of Sawano, it's easy to see how Takahashi came to recruit him.

As much as I like Sawano's music, though, it doesn't seem like it'll live up to Xenoblade's soundtrack, and I don't even like it as much as many people here do.

I wouldn't interpret what he said in the Iwata Asks interview to conclude that Takahashi finds it difficult to work with a team of composers. The reverse was certainly true, he even made some of them cry, but from Takahashi's perspective he just sounded like a very demanding boss with high standards. I work with people like this everyday.

Then again, maybe I'm difficult to work with too...

I do think that Sawano was made sole composer for X both because of Takahashi's admiration for Sawano as well as the latter's willingness to take responsibility for the entire soundtrack, but I don't think that's any indication of how Takahashi felt about Xenoblade's team.

Never played Skyrim, but there are times when I think I may lose my sense of direction and won't really want to have to consult the map every single time. The thing I like about the navigation ball is that it you can either follow it or just let it go off in the distance to give you a sense of direction.

Hmm, I like maps =X

Anyway, google tells me it's called Clairvoyance in Skyrim (in case you want to know).

So, this game (well, the preorders/pre-loading) is No. 7 on the weekly Japanese eShop downloads. Not terrible considering the game is still over two months away.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/ranking.html
Didn't the preorders also ran out in some places already?

I'm starting to get optimistic with the sales of this game.

Top Bottom