• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Direct Footage 11.5.2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

I saw this appear on my Twitter feed and thought I'd share this image.

Xenoblade was a big inspiration for JRPGs
c6eb5fbf.jpg

I cannot wait to finally play Xenoblade Chronicles X!

When I see this pic, I don't think the natural assumption is that Xenoblade has inspired JRPGs to become "open-world". The most you can gleam from this is that these gigantic, odd, and fantastical geographical features have been more prominent in other JRPGs after how much they were emphasized in Xenoblade. It's an iconic element of Xenoblade's art, and when I think of large, protruding, rib-like terrain, I immediately think of Xenoblade, and it isn't a stretch to say these games were inspired in that regard.

P.S.: don't castrate me.

Akai

I'm betting on various planets actually, space seems to be a big thing in this game.

And most certainly there will be more towns, I agree with what chuga said in that GameXplain video, maybe we'll see alien cities and races that we will meet and go to. I wouldn't worry about lack of towns here at all.

I think it's definitely a stretch to think there will be interplanetary travel at this point, especially with a primary goal being to try and establish humanity's foothold on the planet it crashed on. It's not even arguable that we will find alien towns, but I think we'll also find other surviving "New _____" colonies as well. I'm personally hoping we find the remnants of one that didn't survive the crash or had been overrun, if only to be able to explore a "What if this happened to New Los Angeles?" scenario...

I think it's definitely a stretch to think there will be interplanetary travel at this point, especially with a primary goal being to try and establish humanity's foothold on the planet it crashed on. It's not even arguable that we will find alien towns, but I think we'll also find other surviving "New _____" colonies as well. I'm personally hoping we find the remnants of one that didn't survive the crash or had been overrun, if only to be able to explore a "What if this happened to New Los Angeles?" scenario...

I thought they said New LA is the only one that survived? I guess I was mistaken on that then, that's most of the reason of why I thought about interplanetary travel.

Anyway, I'm just hoping for space because after stuff like Gurren Lagann all I want from Mechas is to go to space =P

You might be right then, if there are more survivors it might be confined mostly to this planet. I think that going around the entire planet (with the planet being small of course) would be pretty cool. Also makes me wonder what their "alien city" would be.

Aaaaaaaand the thread went to shit again. Thanks FF/XenoBlade fanboys :/

I dunno, kind of feel like people are kind of being too sensitive about this. Some observations were made, it was (at least imo) pretty interesting to read if you're not really invested in either game. W/e the result of either game, it's fun to read different interpretations. I get there is another thread for direct comparison but I don't really think anyone's intention was to get people super annoyed.

Anyway, in regards to XCX seeing the Shulk amiibo, what do you guys think the compatibility is going to be? Unlock Shulk as playable if you have it?

I dunno, kind of feel like people are kind of being too sensitive about this. Some observations were made, it was (at least imo) pretty interesting to read if you're not really invested in either game. W/e the result of either game, it's fun to read different interpretations. I get there is another thread for direct comparison but I don't really think anyone's intention was to get people super annoyed.

Anyway, in regards to XCX seeing the Shulk amiibo, what do you guys think the compatibility is going to be? Unlock Shulk as playable if you have it?
Doubtful. Costume unlocks or perhaps the Monado.

Doubtful. Costume unlocks or perhaps the Monado.

With the elaborate character creator I think actually making Shulk wouldn't be that hard. If they model the costume I dunno why they couldn't just do the whole character. Monado will definitely be in regardless.

This would never happen but could you imagine Mechonis and Bionis mechs added to the game? (dies)

Nemecyst

I'm not expecting another "New" human city on that planet. Just going by the intro they showed, the ark ship carrying New LA was the only one attacked in the vicinity of that planet. Assuming a few more ark ships actually survived leaving Earth, it's very possible they took very separate courses. Now, I can see another ark ship arriving as a rescue ship. At most I think there will be strongholds setup by the other survivors of the crash that you will visit. We just haven't seen any evidence that other ark ships were even near that planet. That's not to say it isn't possible. This is all speculation, which I am enjoying

DJIzana

I kind of agree but you know... this would make it possible for an DLC or an expansion pack... if it's not the end of the plans that they have for Xenoblade Chronicles X that is.

Just to make clear, I wasn't wor,.Nee ust curious which way this would go. I wonder if the other towns will be mostly crashed ships from Earth or native inhabitants or the alien forces. I would think taking the fight to the "invaders" (they didn't technically invade but it's a convenient term) home would be a thing later on.

I kinda think there could be other ark ships. New Los Angeles, New Chicago (which actually exists today nearby in Indiana), new London, New Bejing, etc.

Dice//

Banned
Who cares what influenced what? Why does it matter? Who really gives a fuck?

We all win if both games are good. I hate this line of reasoning that they're influencing each other or whatever else and I don't really get why the series' are being compared beyond cosmetic reasons.

Golnei

With the elaborate character creator I think actually making Shulk wouldn't be that hard. If they model the costume I dunno why they couldn't just do the whole character. Monado will definitely be in regardless.

This would never happen but could you imagine Mechonis and Bionis mechs added to the game? (dies)

Seeing as Shulk's voice actor is already one of the defaults for the protagonist, giving you a Shulk character creation preset, armour set and replica Monado wouldn't be too much work. Especially since there will undoubtedly be a large range of weapons and armour available in the game regardless, locking an extra outfit and weapon (most likely functionally identical to any given piece of early-game equipment) behind an amiibo won't be that offensive.

chadboban

Saw this while looking through the footage again. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but you can see a monitor to the right of this pic that seems to display the Primordial Wilderness along with what seems to be it's current temperature. There are also 8 sphere like shapes on the display as well.

vlcsnap-2014-11-16-005iu8q.png

Could this be for quest purposes? I remember in the original Xenoblade there where monsters that only appeared during certain weather conditions, like during hot days or thunderstorms. Also, if this display is interactive, could each sphere perhaps be a different area of the planet that will show you it's current weather along with other info. I think it could be cool if the planet has a weather system that may even show you upcoming conditions. If it did, it would allow you to plan your quests in advance should one require you to find a monster that only appears during certain weather far easier.

Zero²

Could this be for quest purposes? I remember in the original Xenoblade there where monsters that only appeared during certain weather conditions, like during hot days or thunderstorms. Also, if this display is interactive, could each sphere perhaps be a different area of the planet that will show you it's current weather along with other info. I think it could be cool if the planet has a weather system that may even show you upcoming conditions. If it did, it would allow you to plan your quests in advance should one require you to find a monster that only appears during certain weather far easier.
You'd think they would make actual changes in the weather according with the temperature? We might see an snowy Primordial Wilderness? Dunno that seems like an awful amount of work...

TheMoon

Zero²;139120618 said:
You'd think they would make actual changes in the weather according with the temperature? We might see an snowy Primordial Wilderness? Dunno that seems like an awful amount of work...

I don't think that would make sense for a game like this. Dynamic weather patterns make more sense in smaller, more focused settings. Like maybe Hyrule. If that had an actual season cycle or something. Or Animal Crossing. Not a game where you supposedly travel to many different locales that are distinct environments anyway.

Zero²

I don't think that would make sense for a game like this. Dynamic weather patterns make more sense in smaller, more focused settings. Like maybe Hyrule. If that had an actual season cycle or something. Or Animal Crossing. Not a game where you supposedly travel to many different locales that are distinct environments anyway.
Yeah I agree, there is a lot of things we dont know about the game, like the actual size of the world. I would be nifty if MS showed the world map xD
Where did that rumor of going to different planets came from again?

TheMoon

Zero²;139122355 said:
Yeah I agree, there is a lot of things we dont know about the game, like the actual size of the world. I would be nifty if MS showed the world map xD
Where did that rumor of going to different planets came from again?

For the future to avoid confusion: MonolithSoft is MLS, not MS ^^ (used to be MLSI but I think they dropped the "Inc." part)

And there's no rumor, just us speculating.

chadboban

Zero²;139120618 said:

I wasn't necessarily thinking dynamic as in down to the last degree. Every weather pattern like hot days, thunderstorms or cold days(snow not required) would probably have it's own temperature setting that would appear on the display. Was thinking that the display could tell you some of the upcoming weather in advance as in "It's gonna rain in 10 hours" or "Tomorrow's gonna be a hot day". Stuff that would make monsters that appear in certain conditions (should they return) a little bit easier to find.

StuBurns

Banned
Xenoblade didn't inspire XV to be open world. From its announcement in June '06 they talked about wanting a seamless, expansive experience.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
When I see this pic, I don't think the natural assumption is that Xenoblade has inspired JRPGs to become "open-world". The most you can gleam from this is that these gigantic, odd, and fantastical geographical features have been more prominent in other JRPGs after how much they were emphasized in Xenoblade. It's an iconic element of Xenoblade's art, and when I think of large, protruding, rib-like terrain, I immediately think of Xenoblade, and it isn't a stretch to say these games were inspired in that regard.

P.S.: don't castrate me.

Word for word

WonderzL

Banned
Xenoblade's japanese Twitter account is posting some stuff right now. twitter.com/Xenobladejp So yeah, if anyone wants to translate it...

random25

Xenoblade's japanese Twitter account is posting some stuff right now. twitter.com/Xenobladejp So yeah, if anyone wants to translate it...

Looks like it's from Takahashi. Google translate is pretty shoddy so I'm hoping for a proper translation from our fine folks here :)

duckroll

Takahashi says that from now on he'll try to tweet 2-3 times a week to provide information and stuff about the game. Today he's talking about how Xenoblade X started out in development. After Xenoblade wrapped up, Yamagami wanted the team to try doing more scifi stuff, and they took up the challenge. Since it was going to be for the WiiU, they experimented with evolving the concept with more seamless maps and online features. That experimentation formed the basis of what would become Xenoblade X.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hopefully we have some romance in it since I am such a huge sucker for romance, and I enjoyed the romance plot in Xenoblade and felt like it was a *huge* part of the entire story.

Although maybe with the freely customizable hero it seems like romance is a no go huh? *sigh*

random25

Takahashi says that from now on he'll try to tweet 2-3 times a week to provide information and stuff about the game. Today he's talking about how Xenoblade X started out in development. After Xenoblade wrapped up, Yamagami wanted the team to try doing more scifi stuff, and they took up the challenge. Since it was going to be for the WiiU, they experimented with evolving the concept with more seamless maps and online features. That experimentation formed the basis of what would become Xenoblade X.

Wow that was fast. Thanks!

Excited to hear more from Takahashi about this game. Getting really curious on the online features for the game (though I'm not really big on it for my RPGs :p)

Nemecyst

That move to sci-fi possibly explains why Sawano was picked. Ace+ and the others had more of a fantasy tone that fit perfectly with the first Xenoblade.

Zolbrod

I want any form of online to stay as far away from this game as possible.
I don't want Xenoblade to be anything but a single player offline experience.

duckroll

That move to sci-fi possibly explains why Sawano was picked. Ace+ and the others had more of a fantasy tone that fit perfectly with the first Xenoblade.

I dunno, I think Takahashi just really wanted to work with someone he's a big fan of tbh. :p

I want any form of online to stay as far away from this game as possible.
I don't want Xenoblade to be anything but a single player offline experience.

The game definitely has online features, so... too bad for you I guess?

random25

For online I really would want it to be some form of a different experience to the story/SP mode...like an MMO style or something that works with different maps to explore and boss battles to beat up on with friends and strangers. With a customizable look of the MC it can be the best online game mode this game can offer.

That's a bit of a stretch for me. Still, a great story mode that is as good or much better than my GOAT (Xenoblade Chronicles) will just be enough for me.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Can we open a thread about the "Twitter" updates, considering that he will do that 2/3 times a week?
We did that for Smash and even for Splatoon.

Btw, about the character models, at least they are better than AC Unity ones

LOL

Nature > James Cameron > Japan > Gaf > Internet > Gaf

??? In what Avatar? If so Avatar was way behind the trend...Final Fantasy and Japanese media in general did those kind of environments 10-15 years before Avatar...In fact when I watched Avatar all I could think of was how much inspiration he took from Japanese creative media. Which was fine, but there was very little original in the film at all. A miss-mash of popular influences.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom