• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

-When you have a Scout in your party (Squad NPC) and you get the notifications in the top left about the Scout levels going up and getting expressions/tickets etc are those rewards for the other player, or for you?

They are for you. You can claim rewards at your barracks, or at the terminal right outside of the barracks (the smaller one). The barracks terminal is for division rewards/tickets, the terminal right outside of the barracks is for scout rewards.

-What exactly is up with the online notifications in the bottom left? I know you can post messages that your squad can see, and if enough people like it (L+A) it might get spread to the whole userbase (?). What confuses me though is that I keep seeing like the same 5 messages, and they always either have the miiverse icon and/or says achievement unlocked which I don't understand, or sometimes you get just the generic message with the blue grid background which I'm assuming is just offline/default game messaging, but then when I post a message it does that for my message as well. So I'm confused on the particulars of those pop-ups I guess?

Miiverse and the achievement notices are for your squad (of 32).

-Is there any particular use for Miranium other than side quests or just dumping it into arms manufacturers? I'm still very early and only have a 9k cap (I put down one storage probe), so assuming I have no sidequests where someone wants some when I get close to the cap I'm just dumping it in an AM.

Making gear, adding slots to gear.

-Is managing your inventory total shit or just me? You get a million equipment drops it seems like, I'm just selling stuff that's not better than what I have equipped to try to make it manageable. On a related note do I need to worry about keeping characters other than Lin/Elma up to par gear-wise? Just managing those two along with their Arts etc is already a huge pain in the ass.

Just do "equip best" and you'll be find for every character unless you're doing hard bosses or Tyrants.

Qurupeke

Man where did you get all those Research probes. I've only found like 5, and they've all been of different lower levels so no bonus.

I just explored and did quests, I then realized I should start putting them more strategically when I found a lot. I think most of them are from field actions, I have found most of the things in the first three areas.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Spent a few more hours with the game, feel like I'm maaaaaaybe starting to get a grasp on things finally lol. I have more, but a few quick questions:

-When you have a Scout in your party (Squad NPC) and you get the notifications in the top left about the Scout levels going up and getting expressions/tickets etc are those rewards for the other player, or for you?

-What exactly is up with the online notifications in the bottom left? I know you can post messages that your squad can see, and if enough people like it (L+A) it might get spread to the whole userbase (?). What confuses me though is that I keep seeing like the same 5 messages, and they always either have the miiverse icon and/or says achievement unlocked which I don't understand, or sometimes you get just the generic message with the blue grid background which I'm assuming is just offline/default game messaging, but then when I post a message it does that for my message as well. So I'm confused on the particulars of those pop-ups I guess?

-Is there any particular use for Miranium other than side quests or just dumping it into arms manufacturers? I'm still very early and only have a 9k cap (I put down one storage probe), so assuming I have no sidequests where someone wants some when I get close to the cap I'm just dumping it in an AM.

-Is managing your inventory total shit or just me? You get a million equipment drops it seems like, I'm just selling stuff that's not better than what I have equipped to try to make it manageable. On a related note do I need to worry about keeping characters other than Lin/Elma up to par gear-wise? Just managing those two along with their Arts etc is already a huge pain in the ass.

So far loving the game, but it's definitely overwhelming at first. I'm about 10-12 hours in and feel like I've just barely got a grasp on most of what's going on.

1. I THINK you both get rewards. Definitely the person you scoutted gets rewards.

2. The messages are... as you described. There's a lot there, I think you push that "button" on your GamePad that disables the messages - and you'll make them go away if they're too annoying. But yeah, it's mostly nonsense. The only useful thing is when someone starts a Squad Mission you can press "-" button to join the mission immediately.

3. You need Miraimum when "upgrading" your weapons. It's in that same menu as the AM, it requires a little bit of Miranium to upgrade the weapon traits. Other than that, yeah it's for AM or some side quests.

4. I don't even BOTHER with item management, you really don't have to all. Just let it be whatever. I agree with you - I "equip strongest" on Lin and Elma, and maybe once every chapter I upgrade their Arts/Skills - but for the most part I don't spend any time in menus messing with anyone else other than my own character.

... You could play XC mostly the same way. If you want to take down high level monsters, relative to your own level, you need to micromanage everyone, but to make it through the story if you focus on your one main character - you'll be fine.

Nbz

Does anyone know how to get certain basic missions to appear on the list? I've been waiting for "Marry Me" to show up so that I can do an affinity mission related to it, but it just isn't appearing

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just explored and did quests, I then realized I should start putting them more strategically when I found a lot. I think most of them are from field actions, I have found most of the things in the first three areas.

I think that's definitely the answer. I noticed almost every time I open a "treasure" from field actions (mash A) I almost always get an upgraded probe.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey, so that little circle on the right keeps filling up every time I start up the game. What's that related to?

x0KE3gX.jpg

Plum

I just managed to swim all the way to Sylvalum at Level 21. The sheer size of the place is enormous especially considering I haven't even finished with Primordia yet...

... I think I'll go back there when I have a Skell.

Zafir

I think that's definitely the answer. I noticed almost every time I open a "treasure" from field actions (mash A) I almost always get an upgraded probe.
I've been doing that though, and I always get Mining probes. :/

I've explored the majority of the first three areas too. Basically the only places I haven't been are ones that require the flight module.

MrDaravon

They are for you. You can claim rewards at your barracks, or at the terminal right outside of the barracks (the smaller one). The barracks terminal is for division rewards/tickets, the terminal right outside of the barracks is for scout rewards.

I'll need to write down exactly what it says or get a screenshot, but I'm not talking about Scout Rewards which you get at the outside smaller terminal. It says something in the top left with the Scout's name along with something about a character greeting, then sometimes I'll get a second one that says something I think about getting reward tickets?

Just do "equip best" and you'll be find for every character unless you're doing hard bosses or Tyrants.

Ooh that's super good advice, didn't even think about that, thanks! Do party members keep the gear I put on them? I can't tell yet if they scale to my level or not, based on some comments I've seen in the thread I don't think they do, so I'm guessing they keep the gear I put on them? With the crazy number of party members it appears that you can get I'm disappointed at how poor their maangement is (having to go track them down in town etc).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'll need to write down exactly what it says or get a screenshot, but I'm not talking about Scout Rewards which you get at the outside smaller terminal. It says something in the top left with the Scout's name along with something about a character greeting, then sometimes I'll get a second one that says something I think about getting reward tickets?

Yeah, its just a message letting you know that you get reward tickets for having them in your party.

Or when someone in your Squad completes a "hit list" requirement, you get a reward for that too, even if you weren't involved.

Dineren

Banned
I really need to go back and fix my probes, I've been playing for 45 hours and up until recently just randomly placed probes without paying much attention. It has probably cost me millions over the course of the game I would imagine.

At least I've made enough to buy skells for my entire team. I still have to replace the free one now and can't decide what to get. The heavy seems like a no-brainer, but I really don't like how it looks (although turning into a tank is pretty cool).

Finally got a Skell and finished the Hope recruiting mission (it is more of a case of couldn't find the enemies I needed to beat not so powerful they need a Skell...). I did so many missions and quests during doing that she had 2 hearts of affinity at the end.

I decide to celebrate by starting the Meeting Yelv affinity mission.

Does anyone know how to get certain basic missions to appear on the list? I've been waiting for "Marry Me" to show up so that I can do an affinity mission related to it, but it just isn't appearing
I heard if you have too many uncompleted missions in an area new missions for that area won't show up. Assuming that isn't the case opening and closing the menu will change up the mission that show up on the board slightly.

But that brings on the point of what exactly are the perquisites to have it on the board in the first place. Given the only mandatory enemies to fight in the affinity quest that follows that are around level
I would think completing chapter 4 should be enough.

Ooh that's super good advice, didn't even think about that, thanks! Do party members keep the gear I put on them? I can't tell yet if they scale to my level or not, based on some comments I've seen in the thread I don't think they do, so I'm guessing they keep the gear I put on them? With the crazy number of party members it appears that you can get I'm disappointed at how poor their maangement is (having to go track them down in town etc).
They keep the gear. Before removing from party I do an unequip all on them. Makes things extra funny when they appear in cutscenes not wearing any clothes. I think they gain BP (they always seem to have a lot) but not EXP although their starting level does seem to be scaled somewhat.

Plum

Is there an objective map for what kind of probes you should place where? I don't exactly want to end up like the poster above who might have lost millions (I've probably lost thousands) because of random probe placement.

Probes are my least favorite game mechanic in the game so I don't care about cheating.

Vena

Is there an objective map for what kind of probes you should place where? I don't exactly want to end up like the poster above who might have lost millions (I've probably lost thousands) because of random probe placement.

Probes are my least favorite game mechanic in the game so I don't care about cheating.

Click on the probe and it will tell you:
Production
Revenue
Support

With a latter next to it ranging from F to S. The closer to S the more your probe returns.

Plum

Click on the probe and it will tell you:
Production
Revenue
Support

With a latter next to it ranging from F to S. The closer to S the more your probe returns.

So production is mining, revenue is cash. What's support? Should I just put storage probes in those?

Really impressed with the world design in Noctilum. Monolithsoft may make some weird choices in other parts of the game, but man, they might be the best team in gaming at building a world.

I thought the (place spoilers)
spiral trees to connect levels
was inspired.
Also love the Makna forest vibes from the rope bridge, and how open and peaceful the expanse above the waterfalls is.

A+++ area, would explore again.

OTOH, I was not impressed with the quest that made me scour the continent for a electric motor orb or whatever the hell it was...

TheMoon

I downloaded the data packs yet I never got that massive install. Is it because I did it beforehand or what?

Same here, I downloaded the data packs before release, all in sleep mode. Put the disc in when I got the game and was ready to go right away (after downloading the day-1 update).

Gurrry

I think my biggest gripe with all open world games is that the arrow that tells you where to go always leads you straight into a giant mountain that you cant climb over. Atleast in this game you can scale the mountain most of the time.

Also - when it doesnt tell you what level the mission is. I ended up swimming half way across noctilum and ran into a bunch of way high level enemies, died, and was sent back to where I spawned in at. Soul crushing.

Does anyone know how to unlock the fast travel way points other than planting probes?

Plum

I think my biggest gripe with all open world games is that the arrow that tells you where to go always leads you straight into a giant mountain that you cant climb over. Atleast in this game you can scale the mountain most of the time.

Also - when it doesnt tell you what level the mission is. I ended up swimming half way across noctilum and ran into a bunch of way high level enemies, died, and was sent back to where I spawned in at. Soul crushing.

Does anyone know how to unlock the fast travel way points other than planting probes?

Just find landmarks, there's one in every hex of the game. Then just go to the FrontierNAV view with the different things showing what you need to do to recon a segment then fast travel from there.

Well I took Adam Prime's advice and am now having a much easier time with the game.

I'm finally at Chapter 4, however it has been around 10 hours. To be fair I did do a long affinity quest before this (the one where
Lin repairs the engine leak

Am I running behind in this game compared to the most other players?

Vena

Wait, so is there a fast travel option for every single hex?

Yup. Landmarks are warp locations and every hexagon has one.

Well I took Adam Prime's advice and am now having a much easier time with the game.

I'm finally at Chapter 4, however it has been around 10 hours. To be fair I did do a long affinity quest before this (the one where

In story progress? Probably not. Most of us have been faffing about for most of the time.

Xenoboy

I have probably played like 20 hours and haven't even started chapter 4. I feel like everyone is ahead of me too, but there are some here that are still around ch. 4-6.
I mess around to much though :p

artsi

This game has so good looking landscapes. Can't wait to play this in higher resolution with CEMU (or maybe NX as remaster) in 1-2 years.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
60 hours in...and I realize you can level up skills.

Lmao.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Your just fine honestly, infact, that specific sidequest was really easy for me, because I already had like over half of primordial covered in my sticky probes so I had like one of the materials for it just by mining, a overflowing amount.
Its just such a good feeling when you are already almost done or even done with a mission, especially a main or important mission because you went around exploring and such. I also had everything for chapter 4, well had to find Kirsty first, but by the time I went for her quest I had all of primordial probed except for places I couldn't reach or guarded by level 30 grexes.

hawk2025

The contents of the LE guide are so... sterile :(

It's not all bad, but there was so much more they could have done. Not worth even $15 IMO.

Gurrry

Just find landmarks, there's one in every hex of the game. Then just go to the FrontierNAV view with the different things showing what you need to do to recon a segment then fast travel from there.

wait, so there is a fast travel spot in every single hexagon??? holy shit

are the land marks anything in particular? id love to get some more fast travel spots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom