• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cleard chapter 8, that was awesome!

Now leveling up some characters for affinity quests (Hope and Murderess for now). Then I will start exploring the snowy part...

Man I can't wait until I can fly.

I'm thinking we should start lobbying congress and the UN to make fashion gear mandatory in any RPG/open world game from here on out.

Being able to run around with whatever gear you want on whilst still having your highest level gear on underneath is amazing.

It really is awesome. In the first Xenoblade half of my party looked like they were wearing clown suits for the majority of the game.

Okay I really need some help here if you guys can offer any info/advice:

1. it says I have "scout rewards" on my gamepad, what are these and how/where do I pick them up?

2. I have the first Lin mission going "The Repair Job" and I have to do a couple of things

-Use FrontierNav to gather five white cometites - how do I do this?

-Gather two energy tubes from puges in Primordia - how do I know where to go to get these? seems like I have one already at least

-Gather some stuff in Oblivia - how the heck do I get to oblivia?

and lastly 3. Anyone have any suggestions on good skills/arts to level up for the party members?

Dineren

Banned
Is their a penalty for changing your group thing? I'm a reclaimer. And is their a better one to choose? Didn't give it much thought at first.

It costs some money to change, but not that much.

I can't see much reason to select anything other than prospectors if it is still ranked first. The bonuses each division gives you aren't that big and only the top ranked division can select from all the daily rewards (which includes a free salvage ticket). I wish they had done more to encourage people to spread out more into other divisions.

Leiru

Holy crap just found this
koSqG0i.jpg

zroid

Banned
Is their a penalty for changing your group thing? I'm a reclaimer. And is their a better one to choose? Didn't give it much thought at first.

I think you have to pay for it, but that's it

it doesn't really matter which one you pick but Prospector will get you a lot of skell salvage tickets so that's a good choice

zakujanai

Chapter 5 is straight up bullshit. Had to grind to level 19 just to survive getting to the 3 objectives and then the chapter boss was easier than any single enemy I'd fought up to that point. It took less than a minute to beat.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay I really need some help here if you guys can offer any info/advice:

1. it says I have "scout rewards" on my gamepad, what are these and how/where do I pick them up?

Okay, remember where the big Blade mission board is? There's a small board to the relative left of it. Go there and there's an option to pick up Scout rewards. That means someone used your avatar in their game.
2. I have the first Lin mission going "The Repair Job" and I have to do a couple of things

-Use FrontierNav to gather five white cometites - how do I do this?

-Gather two energy tubes from puges in Primordia - how do I know where to go to get these? seems like I have one already at least

-Gather some stuff in Oblivia - how the heck do I get to oblivia?

Okay, google "Xenoblade X the repair job" and you'll get info from GameFaqs. They point you into specifics for that mission.

and lastly 3. Anyone have any suggestions on good skills/arts to level up for the party members?

It doesn't matter, just experiment with whatever you want.

Kinsei

Banned
Chapter 5 is straight up bullshit. Had to grind to level 19 just to survive getting to the 3 objectives and then the chapter boss was easier than any single enemy I'd fought up to that point. It took less than a minute to beat.

What level were you when you started to grind? You probably could have done it at that level.

Astral Dog

True that the story missions ard overall easy(ier)?
I read that the final boss is at lv.45 instead of 50 in the Jap version.

Evilkazz

Banned
Holy crap just found this
koSqG0i.jpg

Yeah I didn't fins that until just recently too.

The big guys actually not all that mean. You can drive around in a skell all around him and he wont actually agro. I got the units right in front of him too. Just walk slowly.

JoeFu

Banned
Wow there are some dark dark sidequests. Just did a few dealing with the water plant and did one with the "human culture class". Pretty messed up

Kadin

Are you guys primarily buying weapons and gear when available or are you finding drops to fill that role? I get a lot of gear via drops but I rarely ever get anything better. As soon as I ding 10, 20, etc. I visit the shop. I know you need money for later in the game but I'm hoping this is okay to continue up to 60.

zakujanai

What level were you when you started to grind? You probably could have done it at that level.

I think maybe 16? Definitely could have beaten the boss at that level but there were groups of level 19-30 enemies blocking the only route to two of the tho the objects I had to destroy before that. Tried sprinting to then but I always got overhelmed before I could destroy them.

True that the story missions ard overall easy(ier)?
I read that the final boss is at lv.45 instead of 50 in the Jap version.

I'm obviously not very far but so far all of the chapter bosses have been significantly easier than even the weakest enemies in the areas leading up to them. It's really strange.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is a dumb question, but I haven't found any way to see what the actual goals of each squad mission are yet? The ones that are in the lower right hand corner with icons.

Xenoboy

What does the lightning icon mean beside a enemy's name? I keep seeing that and they usually attack me. I thought the eye meant that.

Dineren

Banned
Are you guys primarily buying weapons and gear when available or are you finding drops to fill that role? I get a lot of gear via drops but I rarely ever get anything better. As soon as I ding 10, 20, etc. I visit the shop. I know you need money for later in the game but I'm hoping this is okay to continue up to 60.

I've been doing the same except for a few times where I've had drops that were better. So far money hasn't been a problem doing that, but I don't know how much costs increase once you hit 40+.

What does the lightning icon mean beside a enemy's name? I keep seeing that and they usually attack me. I thought the eye meant that.

It means they will attack if they hear you so don't get too close.

KarmaCow

I've been blase on the game so far, kinda mindlessly going through it hoping at some point it clicks and it just hasn't. I just got flying upgrade for the skells, and I'm not sure what I was expecting but I think I'm just ready to drop it. I'm not exactly hating the game, which is how I've been playing the game for so long but there's just nothing really compelling outside of the act of running around some beautiful vistas. The main thing that's been keeping me playing is that traversal is fun in a janky way. I think they did a pretty good job of making little distractions everywhere from blue collectible stuff scattered around to enemies blocking paths, forcing pseudo-stealth routes when running around. It's clearly designed but also not constrained which leads to some fun stuff that feels like you're getting away with something you shouldn't. The rest though drags it down.

- The quests range from terrible to mediocre. The ability to warp around saves time but it highlights how much of it is just moving around with nothing worthwhile inbetween. I'm really the sick of the quests that is just for some indiscriminate thing from an area with no good indication where to actually find it, if there is even a good spot to find it in the first place. The choices also feel inconsequential which is a pet peeve of mine when games put meaningless prompts.

- The actual RPG aspects in terms of choosing what to wear and skills does not seem worth going through the effort of sorting through menu garbage (the UI as whole is just bad). Every so often I try to go through and optimize stuff but it doesn't seem to matter both in terms of the upgrades being minimal and the game not being challenging most of the time to warrant some rethinking.

- The narrative, or specifically the cutscenes are bland and drawn out. There is some intrigue in how they're clearly hiding something or talking around it but most of it just grating like the whole Lin and Tatsu stuff or just people standing around talking slowly. The story can never really make or break a game for me so I've started to just skip them, which I'm glad is an option. Also the design of linear story missions kinda runs at odds with the rest of the game. There have been multiple times now where I've gone to areas while just running around and found stuff that's clearly meant for later story missions but there is nothing to do with them. It's kinda jarring to find stuff like Lifehold pieces out in the world and not being able to do anything with them because I'm not on the appropriate story mission.

- I had heard that the combat was improved from Xenoblade and maybe it is once you really pick it apart but so far it's been pretty a mindless game of simon says. Not that the first game had very compelling combat either but this just feels way more grindy to get different options with the different classes. I may have just gone down the wrong path by focusing on the class on the bottom row but the only times there was an interesting choice was fighting multiple enemies and trying to line them up to maximize damage for the raygun arts while also keeping the rhythm with the other party members. I'm guessing there are more interesting fights in the post game but I'm not sure if I want to bother with everything else to get up to snuff for them.

It's odd because I have put close to 40 hours into this but I haven't been really loving it either and haven't been forcing myself to play either.

God damnit. Accepted an affinity quest that requires me to go to the "Virtriol Cesspool" in Noctilum. It appears to be at the top of a cliff that is impossible to reach without a skell. Am I dead?

Kinsei

Banned
I think maybe 16? Definitely could have beaten the boss at that level but there were groups of level 19-30 enemies blocking the only route to two of the tho the objects I had to destroy before that. Tried sprinting to then but I always got overhelmed before I could destroy them.

You could have done it. The level 19-23 enemies should have been no trouble at level 16 and it's possible to avoid the ones higher than that.

God damnit. Accepted an affinity quest that requires me to go to the "Virtriol Cesspool" in Noctilum. It appears to be at the top of a cliff that is impossible to reach without a skell. Am I dead?

No, the cave is below you. Jump off the continent and swim to it.

ChrisD

I've now had Lin's Affinity Mission "The Repair Job" for over five hours.

I am still waiting on RNG to give me two more White Cometites.

Screw.
RNG.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

FUCKING LEVEL 88 DOUCHEBAG KILLED ME AND I HADN'T SAVED A LOT OF THE PROGRESS FROM GETTING FIELD SKILL BULLSHIT. NOW I GOTTA RESTART.

WHY DUDE. WHY. I WAS ONLY FLYING.

I'm 40 hours in and still haven't started chapter 5. I'm taking my time exploring (Primordia and Noctilum only, I want to feel at home in both before I go to the other continents).

I'm also slowly memorizing what the buff/debuff icons mean, and everyday I learn something new about the mechanics. I'm enjoying this so much that I don't want it to end, so I'll keep playing very slowly, learning everything I can about the world and the systems. Hell, I'm even reading the descriptions in the bestiary...

What's interesting about this game is that, if you take this slow approach, you really start to feel like you're living in Mira. As the days go by, you meet new people in NLA, learn new things about this alien planet... I mean, I love Zelda games and played many JRPGs, but even though it takes a while to beat them, they never made me feel time in such a real way. They're like "an epic adventure in a day", while Xenoblade is an entirely different beast. What an amazing experience.

Xenoboy

I've been doing the same except for a few times where I've had drops that were better. So far money hasn't been a problem doing that, but I don't know how much costs increase once you hit 40+.

It means they will attack if they hear you so don't get too close.

Gee, they could have done that differently. Thanks though.
Didn't Xenoblade have a different icon? Like waves or something.

Just pay the fee, or switch to prospector so you can get a salvage ticket every day

Oh no you don't understand. I still have all 3 of my insurance. I'm so cheap that I save before I do most shit with my mech so if I get killed I reload and still have all 3 insurance. Regardless I reloaded I didn't have to retread too much ground. Already caught up.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've now had Lin's Affinity Mission "The Repair Job" for over five hours.

I am still waiting on RNG to give me two more White Cometites.

Screw.
RNG.

Are you sure you're mining in the right spot? Do you have your best available probe on that spot? Place a booster probe next to it if you have one available.

Honestly, I left my WiiU running while I was making/eating dinner/putting kids to bed, then came back to it later that evening and it was mined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom