• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

BY2K

Membero Americo

I JUST realized there's affinity missions out there in Mira, not just in NLA.

At least, I think there is, some of the icons are affinity mission's.

I JUST realized there's affinity missions out there in Mira, not just in NLA.

At least, I think there is, some of the icons are affinity mission's.

there's only 1 or 2 that starts outside NLA... most of icons are related to where the affinity missions that you took will took place

Just beat chapter 5. I'm happy this game has more story than I was led to believe.

I'm actually sinking time into this game. Oh jeez I knew it'd be great but I love it.

Yo this whole Definian subplot is some fucked up shit. From Alex to Fraisie, theres no shortage of asshole humans in this game doing horrible stuff.

I only started this chain because its required for Mia but I'm glad I did. This whole series of missions is really interesting and really fleshes out NLA.

Poor Man-on :/

The Nopon AM produces thermal-attribute weapons with the sort of names you'd expect - Bangbangs and such. Sadly, there's no Nopon armour or Skell frames.

I think the ears are all mission rewards, though you might be able to get some from salvage.

Ah gotcha. I dont remember how I got the white pair of cat ears but I havent seen any more in the mission control so far. I guess I'll keep refreshing.

This game is weird.

I have a LOT of issues with it and it's systems, with how dense and obtuse it is, how fucking unfriendly and unhelpful it is (and not in a sense of figuring stuff out and exploration but in archaic design that straight up fucking SUCKS), from UI stuff to explanations of abilities to the item gathering to the quest system to the affinity gaining to everything and anything.

And yet.

I played this game for 12 hours today. I will more than likely get home tomorrow and play it until I have to go to sleep. I will continue to play it past the 70 hours I've already put into it.

This game has something about it, something that makes all of it's flaws just...fall by the wayside when I play it. That no matter how annoyed I get I'll still keep playing.

I don't know. This game is on my year end top 10 list way up there even though I'll talk your ear off about all it's issues.

It's such a strange, unique, game.

Xena

After 100 hours, I finally finished the game! I liked it, and I really hope they make another Xeno game. My only complain is the the difficulty spikes throughout the chapters... I wish they had maintained the main story easier to enjoy without these spikes, and let the side stuff for the hardcore who are going to put another 100 hours into it. I was quite frustrated on a boss on chapter 4 or 5 (don't remember now lol).

Since I borrowed my brother's WiiU, and I also have a copy of the first Xenoblade, should I go ahead and play it? Is it similar to this one in terms of difficulty? And how long to beat on average? I have many other games in line (such as Trails of Cold Steel and Tales of Zestiria) and I don't think I want to spend another 100 hours on a game of the same franchise right away. But if it is really a must, I'd consider it.

JCX

This game is weird.

I have a LOT of issues with it and it's systems, with how dense and obtuse it is, how fucking unfriendly and unhelpful it is (and not in a sense of figuring stuff out and exploration but in archaic design that straight up fucking SUCKS), from UI stuff to explanations of abilities to the item gathering to the quest system to the affinity gaining to everything and anything.

And yet.

I played this game for 12 hours today. I will more than likely get home tomorrow and play it until I have to go to sleep. I will continue to play it past the 70 hours I've already put into it.

This game has something about it, something that makes all of it's flaws just...fall by the wayside when I play it. That no matter how annoyed I get I'll still keep playing.

I don't know. This game is on my year end top 10 list way up there even though I'll talk your ear off about all it's issues.

I'm right there with you. I've played this game a ton so far. I want to play other games, but I keep coming back to this (with occasional Splatoon/Rocket League breaks while the gamepad charges). The systems are beyond obtuse, but I just brute force my way through the game with oeriodic checks on the system. Don't need to be the most optimized, just good enough.

Haunted

This game is weird.

And yet.

Honestly, it's big and ambitious enough to buy itself a lot of goodwill and leeway.

There's a lot to criticise but the sheer audacity at display here, the amount of content they've created, the enemy design, the systems, the mechs, the world - it's just spellbinding and makes you want to overlook the issues and keep playing.

This game is weird.

And yet.

I forget if I saw another GAFer or a reviewer say it, but anyway...

The game is a PS2 RPG in spirit, a game that gave an honest effort at impressing you both with its graphics and with its depth. Like, it obviously looks much better and has quite a lot of modern quality-of-life enhancements, but at its heart it is a big, ambitious, not-perfect RPG that people will still remember 10 years from now. It has a lot of flaws but what it does right is simply unmatched.

Zafir

This game is weird.

And yet.

I know the feeling. I've got so many issues with the game, and yet I've got over 100 hours on my save lol. :p

That said, I kind of want to just finish it now. I want my time back so I can get started on Yakuza 5. xD

jonjonaug

Going to try and forge an Arts TP Up XX. I can do crazy damage with a Sniper after some art stringing, but Sniper/Javelin builds TP sooo sloooow :/

That said, I'm in post game stuff now. After I get an Ares 90, do I even need good ground combat?

Post game quests involve going inside some caves that can't be entered in a Skell, so yes.

Ulysses 31

Since I borrowed my brother's WiiU, and I also have a copy of the first Xenoblade, should I go ahead and play it? Is it similar to this one in terms of difficulty? And how long to beat on average? I have many other games in line (such as Trails of Cold Steel and Tales of Zestiria) and I don't think I want to spend another 100 hours on a game of the same franchise right away. But if it is really a must, I'd consider it.

You should if you'd like to see the foundations XBX builts upon
and why Shulk has so many fans. >.>

Difficulty depends, it's easy to outlevel the story bosses if you do all the sidequests you come across during travels making them pushovers.

Dezzy

Xenoblade for the Wii is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Today, I gave up on Xenoblade X after getting to a certain story mission that requires you to be a minimum level to accept. I'm 4 levels under it, and just don't enjoy the side content enough to spend hours grinding away at it to reach the right level. I thought it was a good game, but just not good enough to keep dedicating so much time to it when I have a backlog like I do.
Xenoblade X is a great game in theory, but has so many annoyances that it just adds up to be too much for me. Most missions require just fast traveling around looking for things, the story and characters are kinda dull. The world is pretty, but feels mostly empty. The enemies are placed in a very annoying way, where levels 10s are right near aggressive level 50s. The text is a huge strain on my eyes to read. Plenty of other things too.
I really do hope they make a 3rd game though, just more like the 1st one.

Xena

You should if you'd like to see the foundations XBX builts upon
and why Shulk has so many fans. >.>

Difficulty depends, it's easy to outlevel the story bosses if you do all the sidequests you come across during travels making them pushovers.

So, those sidequests will take a good chunk of the time and translate it into another 100 hours game huh? XD

Golnei

Ah gotcha. I dont remember how I got the white pair of cat ears but I havent seen any more in the mission control so far. I guess I'll keep refreshing.

Did you do the hat quest for one of the Nopons in Dorian Caravan? I think the ears are a fixed reward for that.

Hylian7

I'm level 12 and trying to do Chapter 4, where I have to meet with Lao near Primordia's Green Threshold. Problem is, the only way to get there is by a land bridge over a chasm that has two level 30+ Grexes on it. Am I just underleveled or is there some trick here?

I'm level 12 and trying to do Chapter 4, where I have to meet with Lao near Primordia's Green Threshold. Problem is, the only way to get there is by a land bridge over a chasm that has two level 30+ Grexes on it. Am I just underleveled or is there some trick here?

That's not the only way there. The area you're looking for isn't in that raised section at all.

If I remember correctly getting to that area is a bit deceiving. You don't have to get across the bridge at all, it should be just around the corner to the right, over where the waterfall is.

Got it for Christmas and I'm 5 hours in so far, I'm loving it. One thing I haven't come to grips with is the weapon/armour stats. So I've found stuff that has a higher attack or defence stat in the main box up the top. Is that the main thing I.should look for?

Sometimes though the stats down the bottom tell a different story (they are red/lower than my current weapon/armour).

You could also just run and jump over them and pray to the Maker of Miracles you dont die.

zroid

Banned

If I remember correctly getting to that area is a bit deceiving. You don't have to get across the bridge at all, it should be just around the corner to the right, over where the waterfall is.

yea I remember getting killed by those Grexes one time just trying to run past them, then I realized there was another way to get up there

JCX

Xenoblade for the Wii is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Today, I gave up on Xenoblade X after getting to a certain story mission that requires you to be a minimum level to accept. I'm 4 levels under it, and just don't enjoy the side content enough to spend hours grinding away at it to reach the right level. I thought it was a good game, but just not good enough to keep dedicating so much time to it when I have a backlog like I do.
Xenoblade X is a great game in theory, but has so many annoyances that it just adds up to be too much for me. Most missions require just fast traveling around looking for things, the story and characters are kinda dull. The world is pretty, but feels mostly empty. The enemies are placed in a very annoying way, where levels 10s are right near aggressive level 50s. The text is a huge strain on my eyes to read. Plenty of other things too.
I really do hope they make a 3rd game though, just more like the 1st one.

From a pure gameplay perspective, X is miles ahead of Xenoblade for me. Took me over yer to trudge through Xenoblade, while I'm already past chapter 9 in X. Xenoblade seemed half finished to me. Had a lot of good quality of life improvements (fast travel, quest marker, save/load anywhere). X expands on those a ton. I usually hate collectathon quests (and still do to some degree), but X makes it a much smaller annoyance. Only things I miss from Xenoblade are the vision mechanic and load anywhere (instead of checkpoints).

Having a variety of levels in one area makes more sense to me than he usual jrpg level gating. Not sure if you did it yet, but there's a missioon that's pretty much impossible to finish without stealth. So much fun figuring out how to approach it. It was like the "let's infiltrate the castle/base/prison" mission from every JRPG, except I got to choose how to do it.

IIRC, Takahashi already said the next game will be more story focused, so that should temper some of your concerns. At the very least play until you get a skell. If that doesn't do it, then it may not be for you. Just got the flight module today and I'm still in awe of what they were able to do with this game.

Renewed

Cleared the last normal mission on my mission log, RIP lobster. I have no remorse.

Gonna have to really hunt for wherever these last few missions are. In the last 10% of my survey.

batbeg

Start of chapter 2 and I've got the game stuck in first person mode. Is this meant to be a thing or is it bugging out? It's neat but kind of inconvenient.

zroid

Banned
NOT SO BIG NOW, ARE YA?

CXSRzfbUkAAW6Nv.jpg:orig

ok. chapter 10 is such bullshit. it doesn't let me heal inbetween rounds but the enemy gets all its appendages and its lifebar is full?

Chapters 9 and 10 were such large difficulty spikes that im going 10+ hours on sidequests before i touch another story mission. I wasnt having any trouble until those chapters. Also attack the dishes on his sides.

I just beat chapter 10 after who knows how many retries. I kept resetting as opposed to letting the difficulty lower cause I wanted to figure out what the hell was I doing wrong. The first part isn't as bad but the 2nd part is what I thought was pure bs.

So here is what I figured out: Spoilers.

I was ignoring the reinforcements but that's the wrong thing to do. Basically those are the guys that actually deal damage to you. The boss most of the time just walks forward. I didn't know that. And there are a finite number of reinforcements. Once the battle opens tell your teammates to take out a disc appendage and the gun in front and you work on a different one. Once reinforcements arrive gather your teammates and take them all out. Then go back to taking out the discs. Those discs are what call for reinforcements so the less there are the less reinforcements there will be. Once all the discs are out the boss is just going to stand there while you just concentrate on kicking his ass. Make sure to hit every freaking soul voice to keep your party healed. Attack from the back to rack up your bonus damage. If the first fight is giving you trouble you can rack up 3000 tp before the fight and go into overdrive from the start. Take out a disc at the beginning of the fight. The boss will keep rotating for a bit to not let you target a 2nd disc so just concentrate fire and soul voices.

Beat it with 4 level 30 heavy skells. At the end only one party member died (brought her along to raise affinity). The other 2 got lost their skells. I still had mine. Goddamn Monolithsoft. What the hell is up with this difficulty spike? Last time there was a bad spike on a Monolithsoft game was the Holoholobird (and for that it wasn't actually that bad).

UGH, tried downloading this game via eshop but my external hard drive turned off randomly and now my wii u doesn't recognize my HD anymore so... looks like I wont be playing this game today :(

Dezzy

...At the very least play until you get a skell. If that doesn't do it, then it may not be for you. Just got the flight module today and I'm still in awe of what they were able to do with this game.

I did get my first Skell for the MC. To clarify, I finished chapter 7, and in order to start 8, I needed to be level 30, but I was level 26. I spent some time forcing my way to 30, but at 28 I just go so bored I called it quits. Oh well, I still got 50 hours of playtime out of it.
Decided to move onto Trails of Cold Steel and I'm really enjoying that one now at least.

thematic

okay, simple question about Miranium
so far I only use it to increase AM level and create augments, is there any other use?

should I pursue more Miranium or Money/whatever they call it here?

This game is weird.

And yet.

Honestly, it's big and ambitious enough to buy itself a lot of goodwill and leeway.

There's a lot to criticise but the sheer audacity at display here, the amount of content they've created, the enemy design, the systems, the mechs, the world - it's just spellbinding and makes you want to overlook the issues and keep playing.
You two nailed it! :D

I've played more today and started doing sidequests and now I'm going to play this game 5ever. I plan on playing some multiplayer with my best friend tomorrow and I CAN'T WAIT

-Horizon-

UGH, tried downloading this game via eshop but my external hard drive turned off randomly and now my wii u doesn't recognize my HD anymore so... looks like I wont be playing this game today :(
Well that sucks :/
Hope you're able to fix it.
That's one of the worries I have with mine. I keep thinking in the back of my mind "what if it just stops working one day".

CaLe

I just got the game, enjoying it so far.

One thing that's really bothering me though is the camera speed. I cranked it all the way up in the options, but there's still some instances where it's really really slow. When near NPCs for example.

Is there any way to fix that ?

Thanks !

Reposting this, anyone else annoyed by the camera ?

Malus

Beat it with 4 level 30 heavy skells. At the end only one party member died (brought her along to raise affinity). The other 2 got lost their skells. I still had mine. Goddamn Monolithsoft. What the hell is up with this difficulty spike? Last time there was a bad spike on a Monolithsoft game was the Holoholobird (and for that it wasn't actually that bad).

The difficulty spike starts in Chapter 9 imo.

Just took on Chapter 10 (after like 40-50 hours of exploring/sidequesting since 9), and beat him through the power of 2 level 50 skells >:D

That was a cool-ass boss design tho.

I think how much you enjoy this game really depends on approach, especially since XBX takes a very different approach compared to most JRPGs. Original Xenoblade and most such RPGs are like a novel. You follow a big grand plot and side content is generally ignorable. XBX is like a collection of short stories following a particular theme. You have the option to just read a few of them ,namely the ones titled Story Mission, but you'll be leaving the bulk of the book unread if you do. Approach it as a collection of short stories and it becomes clear there is a lot of interesting content that can surprise you.

The difficulty spike starts in Chapter 9 imo.

Just took on Chapter 10 (after like 40-50 hours of exploring/sidequesting since 9), and beat him through the power of 2 level 50 skells >:D

That was a cool-ass boss design tho.

Yeah that was difficult as well. I had to retry a bunch but I also knew what I did that had an effect on difficulty. Though my level was fine, I used 3 entirely different party members in order to raise their affinity for all the sidequests prior to chapter 9. So when chapter 9 came elma, lin, and my 4th were too underleveled for the fight. My fourth would die within 10 seconds or so cause he/she kept getting swapped out that it was basically a party of 3.

Jims

I GOT MY FLIGHT UNIT! It is so amazing, the preview videos really don't do it justice. Had the goofiest smile on my face as I flew the initial flight over the wall of NLA. It is just a magical moment.

I was just wandering around Primordia aimlessly and then suddenly realized, wait a minute, I just entered Noctilum. And then explored more of Noctilum and saw the face of death. Genuinely terrifying.

The Chapter 9 boss fight wasn't so bad after farming 4000 TP beforehand. Going into it with an empty tank is really hard. Probably failed it 7 or 8 times before buckling down and farming a little bit. Also equipping that Galactic Knight melee art that recovers TP in each hit... It seems like a very TP-thirsty class so far.

marrec

Banned
"The Repair Job" affinity quest may be why this game isn't getting more GOTY awards. What an awful design.

But I'm still playing cause it's too damn good otherwise.

Top Bottom